Melbourne Football

City vs Geelong United Wednesday 19th August, Jubilee Stadium

fensaddler

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I'm not sure we'll see it between now and the end of the season, but a trio of Florian, Metcalfe and Brilliante in the middle is very tasty.

What about Luna?

Metcalfe was immense last night, but on the balance of things he is behind Berenguer and Luna and only probably Griffiths would be close to Brillante. 

Huge depth and finally our midfield is completely balanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I'm not sure we'll see it between now and the end of the season, but a trio of Florian, Metcalfe and Brilliante in the middle is very tasty.

Who'd have thought a trio between an upcoming youngster, a struggling visa player and a past his peak Aussie would be our preferred line up. Shows how the coach and system of play is so so important. 

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Who'd have thought a trio between an upcoming youngster, a struggling visa player and a past his peak Aussie would be our preferred line up. Shows how the coach and system of play is so so important. 

Until we lose.🙂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What about Luna?

Metcalfe was immense last night, but on the balance of things he is behind Berenguer and Luna and only probably Griffiths would be close to Brillante. 

Luna can play out wide 

I'd much prefer to have all of Brillante, Metcalfe, Berenguer, Luna, Noone and Maclaren all starting, then having one miss to fit in Wales, Najjar or Colacovski

• Like 1

Our best football has clearly been with Luna, Florin and Brillante and imo it should stay that way. Metcalfe was very good last night and is a great sub option for Luna or Florin, but imo he's behind them at this point.
The midfield three is critical imo, more important than who plays on one of the wings and we should be nailing that first.

So for me, we line up like this in the Semi:

Glover
Delbridge  Windy          Good  Atkinson
                             Brillante
                   Luna             Florin
Najjar                  Maclaren            Noone

Gauci, Wales, Galloway, Griffiths, Metcalfe, Cola, Najjarine

I's be open to a Galloway/Delbridge swap, but i think its unlikely. Mouid showed enough last night to put him in front of Wales for me, but wouldnt be surprised if thats not what eventuates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

What about Luna?

Oh I think Luna should stay in that lineup, as I think Metcalfe and Berenguer are probably a bit 'same-y' in terms of how they play. I was more thinking from a passing point of view, we've often lacked a secondary playmaker and I think those two together could probably be the best passing tandem we've ever had. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Our best football has clearly been with Luna, Florin and Brillante and imo it should stay that way. Metcalfe was very good last night and is a great sub option for Luna or Florin, but imo he's behind them at this point.
The midfield three is critical imo, more important than who plays on one of the wings and we should be nailing that first.

Glover
Delbridge  Windy          Good  Atkinson
                             Brillante
                   Luna             Florin
Najjar                  Maclaren            Noone

Gauci, Wales, Galloway, Griffiths, Metcalfe, Cola, Najjarine

I's be open to a Galloway/Delbridge swap, but i think its unlikely. Mouid showed enough last night to put him in front of Wales for me, but wouldnt be surprised if thats not what eventuates.

My understanding Najjar only played because Mombearts had mentioned that he wants a left footer on the left wing. Clearly we want play more crosses towards the far post, where Jmac always drifts to.

Besides his well taken goal, I find his technique well below the likes of Najjarine and Colakovski, they seem way more dynamic too me. I see Najjar as a pure centre forward. I’ll put my money on Wales just coming back in.

Fully agree with your line up and your comment about Galloway/Delbridge.

39 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Oh I think Luna should stay in that lineup, as I think Metcalfe and Berenguer are probably a bit 'same-y' in terms of how they play. I was more thinking from a passing point of view, we've often lacked a secondary playmaker and I think those two together could probably be the best passing tandem we've ever had. 

Don’t we find Metcalf a little to static versus the Luna and Berenguer? He’s odd actually as usually younger kids are way more likely to play freely and take the game on, Metcalf is very conservative.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Glover
Delbridge    Windy       Good     Atkinson
                             Brillante
                 Metcalfe             Florin
      Luna                                       Noone
                           Maclaren

Gauci, Galloway, Griffiths, Cola, Najjarine, Najjar, Wales

I'd be open to a Galloway/Delbridge swap

This could work... 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

This could work... 

It could, but i'm extremely reluctant to change our best midfield three unit as i think those three together are greater than the sum of their parts.
I love what Metcalfe brings to the table as a player, but i dont think we are anywhere near as effective when its not that exact three in midfield either. Chemistry is hard to find, and that midfield unit has it.

23 hours ago, Harrison said:

Don’t know why you’d move Luna to a wing when he’s played all season in the centre of midfield and has been a very solid performer. 

If I’m gaffer the first two names I’d write down on “my packet of Benson & Hedges” would be Luna & Winbichler (and I’m not going to do a Wazza and play the bastards out of position). Metcalfe will have to sweat on Florian’s fitness, or come off the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If I’m gaffer the first two names I’d write down on “my packet of Benson & Hedges” would be Luna & Winbichler (and I’m not going to do a Wazza and play the bastards out of position). Metcalfe will have to sweat on Florian’s fitness, or come off the bench.

Windbichler has been great since his resumption!! Luna, Florin and Noone have all earnt their visas this season!