Melbourne Football

2013/14 Pre-Season Review

Dylan

Finally the new season is here. Thought it might be good to talk about how the pre-season has gone.

Outs:

Fred

Collossimo

Coyne

Meeuwis

Thompson

Tadic

Babalj

Edwards

Ins:

Mifsud 
Miglorini 
Kisnorbo 
Engelaar (Not until 2014)
Murdocca 
Ramsay 
Velaphi 
Kewell 
Wielaert 
Behich

I think the quality of our squad this season is much much better than last season. Although Engelaar is a blow and hopefully will come good in 2014 I’m optimistic about this year. Providing JA can have a good year. 

We seem to have an older side but I think thats understandable for JA to go down that route. He is a very inexperienced coach so you can see why he would want experienced players as he is still struggling to communicate well he would hope that the older players might understand a little easier and could help with translating that to the younger group.

I think this academy providing it gets up, could be a great success for the club and lead to funding for better facilities from private and public sources. We may have a good chance with getting public funding now, as the club could point to this as well as all the other community based initiatives and say look, see what we are doing here? Here is a direct community benefit etc etc. As opposed to WSW whom seem to get an upgrade for just being in western Sydney. I was a little worried last week that the off field situation with more coaching staff etc wasn’t going to have as big of a change as we would have hoped, with JVS only being part time and focused on the academy but with the new assistant starting with a good pedigree the club has really done an amazing job off and on the field this year.  Also glad to hear that the youth team is still training with the senior squad we even have a strong youth team this year as well.

I watched that fox sports preview for Heart and they did make one good point, with such wholesale player changes we may not find any rhythm at the start of the season, with all the players getting used to one another, our preseason form hasn’t been great (but that nothing new). I think JA's inexperience will amplify that, but we will probably come good as we go along, a bit like WSW last season. Well thats what Im hoping
Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3