Melbourne Football

Gerard Nus

mus-28

Stop rubbing your clits over the prospect of this lad.

He is just as unproven as JA, just because he has worked in the UK does not make him a management god. Like it was stated earlier, fitness manager assistant isn't exactly the highest profile job, even at a club like Liverpool.

Also, Brighton have fuck all when it comes to developing youth, they're in the process of buying success. So it's clear he wasn't a revelation there, especially if his contract was finished on 'mutual agreement'.

Before questioning my opinion on the Brighton side of his career, I've spent 2 weeks in the midst of some of the more passionate Seagull fans. When we signed him, I asked about his skills, only to find out that no one even knew who he was. Clearly nothing special, and certainly not the answer to our management woes.

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Assume he does zilch on game day.

He usually talks individually with players before the game and is kicking a ball around with them and partaking in small drills when the extra number is needed. He seems to walk around a lot talking to the players. I've only seen him and foxy before game but it seems nus is a more one on one with the players and foxy does the team drills

Edited by Dylan

Bump.

Assume he does zilch on game day.

He usually talks individually with players before the game and is kicking a ball around with them and partaking in small drills when the extra number is needed. He seems to walk around a lot talking to the players. I've only seen him and foxy before game but it seems nus is a more one on one with the players and foxy does the team drills

Sounds like a good gig. I think I'll apply myself.

He was doing the warm-up with Golgol in the half-time break.

I think you'll find he's principally a health and fitness coach, focussing on the management of individual players. When I briefly met him at Frankston he had been discussing pre-season injuries etc. with JvS.

Andrew Campbell for melbourneheartfc.com.au

Q&A: The News from Nus

Saturday, 14 December 2013 5:43 PM

In this week's 'The News from Nus', Melbourne Heart FC Assistant Coach Gerard Nus fields questions on a range of current topics in world football, including the recent World Cup 2014 draw, cultural differences between leagues and more.

Q. What do you think about the World Cup draw with Australia drawing a pretty tough group - from a neutral perspective - do you think it’s the group of death?

GN:I think it’s really tough for Australia, obviously in the World Cup it doesn’t matter who you play, every team is going to be tough, but when you have two of the teams that played in the last final in the group it tells you a lot already.

Having Spain and Holland in the group, it’s going to be tough to go through and with Chile as well is going to be tough and what will be interesting is to see what the new head coach of the national team will propose. Will he play football based on possession or will they go forward and look for chances to score or they will try to counterattack?

Who do you think will progress from Australia’s group and why?

GN:I would say Spain and Holland for me are the two big countries in that group but in saying that you really don’t know until the whistle blows and you need to give credit to every team.

It’s a special event so everyone has a chance - but history tells us that Holland and Spain are the two teams in that group that are the better teams.

Q. Talking about the World Cup in June next year, who do you see as the countries to beat?

GN:I would say that Brazil is the team to beat, they always have a big chance anyway no matter where they play, but especially next year playing at home, they would be my favourite to win. Other strong sides that I would put in to make my top four would be Spain, Germany and Argentina; for me they are the top four teams to beat.

What are some of the cultural differences that you have noticed in Australia compared to your time with football clubs overseas?

GN:One difference is on match day when the media come into the change-room. In many clubs overseas the change-room is something that is protected and very private; it’s for the coaches and players and nobody else really gets in there. It’s like a church, or a sacred place where people don’t enter if they aren’t really involved with the club.

Another difference is when a game is finished in Europe players might clap the team’s performance and then go into the changing room. In Australia there is a culture where all the players go to see the fans and they spend time together, giving big hugs or talking a little bit, there is a closer, friendly relationship with the fans.

In South Korea [Nus worked at K-League club Chunnam Dragons] players and coaches live in a club-house where they all live together. It was a building where everyone has their own room and then you would have all your meals together. It was especially good for the young players. Some of the older players would move out into their own place but all the players would generally eat together sometimes it was compulsory but most times it was optional.

Q. Which country did you find had the most passionate fans?

GN:England is definitely one of the best places in the world in terms of crowds, they have some of the most passionate supporters who really support their team. Obviously the top clubs have the biggest crowds but it depends on results as well.

Q. In your time coaching how has the amount of control a club has over its players fluctuated from league to league?

GN:It depends on the coach. It varies a lot in the English Premier League especially, some allow their players to be quite free whereas others are very strict with their players. Generally in Europe the coaches allow players to have more free time after training and things but when they are there they need to focus and train properly.

In Korea they are generally more strict [in regards to free time] they are required to do more for the team. After training players are encouraged to stick together more to make the team stronger in terms of mentality, they are encouraged to stick with their teammates as much as possible. In Europe there is more free time, after training players are free to go home to their families.

Q. How many players from Europe in the off-season are considering Australia as somewhere to go and play football?

GN:I think many, it’s not as preferable as staying in Europe but players that are almost finishing their careers really consider Australia because it is a place they can learn the English language and it is seen in Europe as a comfortable place to live. It’s a beautiful country with beautiful people. The football in Australia is getting better and better, there are big names playing in the Hyundai A-League now so it’s definitely not a place to say no to.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/QA-The-News-from-Nus/80769

Edited by Murfy1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Melbourne Heart FC Assistant Coach Gerard Nus provides some insight into the side’s recent form and how the team has prepared for this Sunday’s match.

Straight after the game in Wellington last Sunday, preparation for this weekend commenced.

As coaches we don’t really say too much to the players straight after the match.

Once we went back to the hotel, the Head Coach said a few words with the players and said that it was a good result, that we had shown improvement, but said there is still a long way to go.

The main message was that we needed to start preparing for recovery and for the boys to have a good sleep.

Of course the first part of recovery is the work of the fitness and conditioning department to ensure the players are prepared and ready for training as quickly as possible.

The last time we played Brisbane, we were unhappy with the result. But we don’t want to look too much into the past, we are now in a different situation, we have different players available and fit.

We need to consider and take care of their strengths and their dangers where they can hurt us.

But our main priority is on improving our own game. We know that they are the best team in the A-League and we are going to try to do our best to show them that we can take something really positive from Sunday’s game.

You need to focus on an opponent collectively; what they are looking to achieve as a group; what they present as a group and obviously look at their key players who can make a difference.

Everything is important, but it is about us getting better, about getting more confidence and collectively focusing on the positives as individuals; reinforcing the points that are important in our style of football and obviously working hard to keep improving.

It never stops. You finish one game and the next is just around the corner.

This week we get to enjoy playing in front of our passionate home supporters and we would encourage everyone to come down and enjoy the match and hopefully we have a strong turnout.

I think what we need to show more than ever is that we are strong at home, because we have great support and good fans and they will be our number 12th fan that we really appreciate.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/The-News-from-Nus/86739

He's been busy lately. Apparently he made this training app: 

01/30/2014 -Gerard Nus introduces you his new and professional tool for designing and organizing training sessions and matches. App available right now. effency.gifhttp://www.effmatch.com/

and wrote this article

Latest from Gerard Nus Down Under.....

Tuesday 25-02-2014 

First of all, I would like to apologise for my delay on publishing a new blog. Many things have happened in the last few months at Melbourne Heart FC.

Let’s put them in the order right now.

Christmas time. I was lucky to welcome my family who came over to Melbourne from Barcelona, Spain, for 18 days. It was not easy, but they were here on these special days and we all had a lovely time; it was definitely a different Christmas. In Europe we are used to staying in someone’s house, eating a lot, warm meals and keeping out of the cold weather. But in Australia, in Melbourne, Christmas was not like that. We went to the beach on “The Great Ocean Road”, which is a stunning place. We played cricket and football (soccer in Australia) on the sand and we enjoyed some food under some trees nearby.

New coach. The New Year also brought a new coach to the club with John van’t Schip commencing as the new Head Coach, who used to be the former and inaugural Head Coach of the club.

New owners. On January 23 we had a visit from Manchester City representatives and board members to announce a new ownership deal. Personally it was great to see some familiar faces from my recent time working in the English football.

White night. Apparently that was a big night in Melbourne, with more than 500,000 people out in the city. The streets were full of people and many shops, bars and restaurants were open from 7pm to 7am.

Efficiency Match. Even the official presentation has not been done yet. I am happy to announced that my own App for iPad has been released. This App it is now available for all football coaches. It allows you to create drills and training sessions. For any information please visit www.effmatch.com

Good run. The recent good success on the pitch has resulted in an excellent record of four consecutive wins in a row. Last week we got a nice result with 0-5 against Wellington in away trip to New Zealand.

Fingers cross and we will keep working hard for the next game, which will take place on Saturday 1 of March when we play against Melbourne Victory. There are still seven games to be played on this regular A-League before it concludes. Teams have already proved that anyone can beat anyone. Emotion to get into the play-off (6 first positions on the leader) will be certainly guaranteed. Players and staff are committed to keep working hard and hopefully we show some good performances.

www.gerardnus.com

Pretty tight-lipped around recent history.

Edited by Murfy1

• 8 months later...