Melbourne Football

Flick here for Subbuteo

KSK_47

I believe that is an illegal attempt at goal - You have to be further forward!

When the ball is in the shooting zone (the quadrant that spans a quarter of the field from the defender's goal line), you are allowed to shoot at goal instead of advancing the ball

http://subbuteo.iougs.com/rules.shtml

Hey! You are right! Maybe they didnt pull him up on it because they were scared they would cop a head butt!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No dramas mate. If I come across any more places worth looking at I will let you know, but yes, it does seem to be mostly UK and Europe only shipping. There appears to be a bit of a subbuteo scene in some parts of Asia from what I can gather, so I will see if I can find any decent Asian sights when I get the time.

If you do end up buying a set please keep us up to date with progress (including pics) because I am sure I am not the only one on here who would be interested to see.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

No dramas mate. If I come across any more places worth looking at I will let you know, but yes, it does seem to be mostly UK and Europe only shipping. There appears to be a bit of a subbuteo scene in some parts of Asia from what I can gather, so I will see if I can find any decent Asian sights when I get the time.

If you do end up buying a set please keep us up to date with progress (including pics) because I am sure I am not the only one on here who would be interested to see.

Haha no worries, me and my mate love playing foosball, so I thought this would be another great pass time, as well as FIFA of coarse ;)

But yeah, if I do, I'll be sure to post up :)

Thanks for the help as well!

• Like 1

Big in Asia? -> Not really but there is a good group of players in Singapore. 2 Singapore attended the subbuteo world cup held in July at the Etihad Stadium, home of Manchester City in England!

Big in Australia? -> Difficult to say. There are many isolated players. I stared a blog to try to get players together. The URl is http://subbuteo-australia.blogspot.com -> There will be a tournament in Sydney next month and I have just been in touch with 2 players from Melbourne!

Sales in Australia? -> http://subbuteo-australia.blogspot.com has a link to http://www.crownandandrews.com/ as Crown & Andrews became the official distributor of Subbuteo in Australia. The basic set is not expensive and the quality is excellent!

WASPA -> The World Amateur Subbuteo Players Association (waspa-circuit.blogspot.com) is trying to set up of circuit of tournaments. The other association if called FISTF (www.fistf.com) but it has a more professional structure. WASPA tournaments can be set up with a minimum of 3 players!

@Marchino and other interested players: drop me a line at vincent.cop@rsca.com so that I can get a list of people wanting to play a local tournament.

• Like 2

You're welcome. I live in... Belgium (!) but I used to be the FISTF president between 2002 and 2010 and tried to get people connected. I was happy to help to create clubs in the US, Singapore, Argentina,... and hopefully we can get something again in Australia soon. The last tournament was played more than 2 years ago!

Hey look, you're youtube famous!

Yeah, that's a very good souvenir indeed. The Subbuteo world cup was played during the football world cup in germany and that was good fun. there was an Australian taking part. He was living for a few years in England but was allowed to play for Australia as he was born in Brisbane.

I really hope with the relaunch of the game we can have some tournaments in Australia in the near future. Let's hope things can happen under WASPA banner ;-) (you can join the WASPA group on Facebook for more news)

• Like 1

I really hope with the relaunch of the game we can have some tournaments in Australia in the near future. Let's hope things can happen under WASPA banner ;-) (you can join the WASPA group on Facebook for more news)

I think it would be a great idea to start with Subbuteo workshops to begin with to introduce people to the game (show them how to play, techniques, etc) which will build up a bit of a scene and then go from there. Going by the reactions of people on here, you would have quite a number of people interested.

BTW- do you have the link to the WASPA facebook group? I couldnt find it.

I had a wild thought, if people were to start workshops around Melbourne, we could have each shop in each region, so one would be in the west suburbs, another in the North and another in the south - east suburbs of Melbourne. I'll just pitch in a suggestion, but I wouldn't think it would happen, but have a workshop dedicated to the south - east region @ the Polish house in Rowville located on Stud Road. It has a large hall for people to enter, the suburb; Rowville and the surrounding suburbs are largely populated and close, it's also near the Monash Freeway and the East Link so it would be an easy travel by car. But again, that's just me getting too deep with these ideas.

I had a wild thought, if people were to start workshops around Melbourne, we could have each shop in each region, so one would be in the west suburbs, another in the North and another in the south - east suburbs of Melbourne. I'll just pitch in a suggestion, but I wouldn't think it would happen, but have a workshop dedicated to the south - east region @ the Polish house in Rowville located on Stud Road. It has a large hall for people to enter, the suburb; Rowville and the surrounding suburbs are largely populated and close, it's also near the Monash Freeway and the East Link so it would be an easy travel by car. But again, that's just me getting too deep with these ideas.

I think its a good idea but not sure if there would be enough interest initially. Prob best to start somewhere central (i am sure they wouldnt mind holding them upstairs at the imp) and then start branching out after things take off a bit.

Keep up the ideas coming!

Try to have at least 6 players interested. 6 is a good number because if in the future you have 2 tables (or more) you can always have 4 playing and the others watching. Also all players will probably not have the same level, some will improve quickly, others not. it's important that everyone can play against opponents of the same level. You can also have different groups meeting on a regular base (for instance players meeting in location A once a month on thursday and other people meeting once a month in location B on wednesday) but make sure everyone (people from diffrent places) are welcome to play anywhere. The more locations there are (depends if you have more than 1 table), the more you can attract new players.

• Like 1

So atm, I am keen to play, but now its's crunch time in the year 12 calender, 5 weeks of actual school work, then 2 weeks of holiday, then 2 weeks of revision and the 1-2 month period of exams, so I wouldn't be around if a workshop starts at the imp, but wouldn't mind if it was closer, like the polish house, since its a 2min from mine. We'll see how 2013 starts out for me

So atm, I am keen to play, but now its's crunch time in the year 12 calender, 5 weeks of actual school work, then 2 weeks of holiday, then 2 weeks of revision and the 1-2 month period of exams, so I wouldn't be around if a workshop starts at the imp, but wouldn't mind if it was closer, like the polish house, since its a 2min from mine. We'll see how 2013 starts out for me

Start by building your table and flicking from times to times. When you have a chance to meet some other players, that will be fun!

No, what I meant was that in one of the videos I watched, I cant remember which one, I saw a player take each figure individually and he was rubbing them against a pad to clean its base so it would travel more smoothly along the surface, is that just some rag and he is just simply polishing it? Go to 1:00 of this video to see what I mean.