Melbourne Football

Flick here for Subbuteo

KSK_47

Been one of those things that i've waned top do for quite a while, but never got round to it. Found a site that had NZ domestic and Aussie domestic teams and was sold, but fell off the radar.

Been compiling a list of teams and kits I want to buy, will have to post up when i get back home.

This always made me laugh. Repetitive crowd sounds on vinyl for the 'authentic' stadium feel. :D

subbuteo_surround_45.jpg

I should point out that I am pretty much in the same boat. I dont own a set or collect at all and my knowledge of the subject is limited. It is something that I really want to get into but its going to have to wait. You know how old men get really into train sets after they retire and devote their basement to mega elaborate set ups? That will be me, except it will be Subbuteo.

In fact the reason I started this thread was to see if anyone on this forum was into it so I could pump them full of questions, but judging by the inactivity I am assuming nobody is. Not to worry. I will research and share it for anyone that cares.

I suppose this is the best place to start- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subbuteo

Edited by KSK_47

I got curious about this due to the thread and did some reading. Some really interesting history and culture has developed around a really innocent looking game. Leagues world wide it seems. Would be very interested in collecting a team. Is it all based around the english/british FAs? Hope their are other league teams too.

I have also been close to buying a set in the past but could not justify the purchase as I also spend heaps of money on shit like this and then just abandon it...

Lol, I really got into Scaletrix for example and still have a massive set still out on floor at the apartment complete with 8 cars such as Brock Torana, Bob Jane Cortina even a Alan Morphett Mustung.

I reckon a few of us should pool cash and buy the field and that and then each buy our own sides: What really appeals to me is the painting on sides.

I know this element would really interest Ando as well.

What an awesome thread this is... My memories of subbuteo are limited solely to that of the table soccer game my English poppy set up one time when I was very young. I never knew what it was called until a few years ago when I began appreciating football a lot more. Needless to say I became more intrigued by it an having played the test match board game quite a lot as a child am very keen to give this a go sometime in the future. I asked my nan about it also which to my dismay she informed me she must have thrown it out not too long after he passed. In saying that I was fortunate enough to pick up a tottenham fa cup team set in original box from Brunswick savers. Will post a pic of it when I find it

• Like 1

Love that Test match game.

The Aussie Subbuteo.

As you and were discussing once: Fun for up to 22 Players!

Bullshit as if anyone had fun repositioning a fielder between each ball, also the batsman controller the Keeper who took more catches than any other fielder ever did.

I don’t think I can even remember a fielder actually taking a catch.

Still: Great Game! :D

• Like 2

As you and were discussing once: Fun for up to 22 Players!

Bullshit as if anyone had fun repositioning a fielder between each ball, also the batsman controller the Keeper who took more catches than any other fielder ever did.

I don’t think I can even remember a fielder actually taking a catch.

Still: Great Game! :D

Fun commercial to watch on TV. Never knew anybody that owned it, though.

I have a kit at my folks place that I brought to Aus from England. Most of the players have broken legs/arms, but I did have a pretty awesome scoreboard with every club in England (circa 1994) that came with it. One of my mates had a stadium - no lights, but it was pretty good set up.

I don't remember the finer points of game play of subbuteo, But i do remember my uncle spending hours and hours painting to the finest detail his players. I remember everyone in my family calling him a kid because he played with 'toys' but i have never seen a man into a hobby so much! I remember we were only allowed to play on the kids table ( the old table where the pitch was not exactly smooth) while he had a stadium set up Table. Nevertheless hours of fun playing, even though I'm sure it consisted of us trying to have a shot no matter our position on the pitch. Must ask him if he still pulls it out and has a play. What a great game

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

sorry I am replying to a somewhat old post, I hope you are still looking at it :)

My name is Marco and I have just arrived from Italy.

I am a keen subbuteo player and play regularly in tournments in Italy.

I am also the president of a club in Lucca www.subbuteolucca.it

I am looking for opportunities to play here in Melbourne. Do you know of any subbuteo clubs or meetups or anything like that?

Any help would be most appreciated,

Marco

• 3 weeks later...