Melbourne Football

Flick here for Subbuteo

KSK_47

Going through this thread has peaked some interest in me, some really awesome creations, not really interested in playing the game but the idea and creation of stadiums and fans appeals to me. Any tips on starting out, getting terraces/fans/teams.

You obviously have your reasons for not being interested in playing, but should you (or anyone else reading) want to even dip your toe, you would find that players are more than happy to teach the rules, techniques, and lend equipment etc. as you find your way. Quite social as well, or can be competitive as you wish, which suits hacks like me. Spring rolls are a winner.

• Like 3

Going through this thread has peaked some interest in me, some really awesome creations, not really interested in playing the game but the idea and creation of stadiums and fans appeals to me. Any tips on starting out, getting terraces/fans/teams.

You obviously have your reasons for not being interested in playing, but should you (or anyone else reading) want to even dip your toe, you would find that players are more than happy to teach the rules, techniques, and lend equipment etc. as you find your way. Quite social as well, or can be competitive as you wish, which suits hacks like me. Spring rolls are a winner.

just dont play your first match against true until I die. would not recommend 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so after reading this thread over and over I've decided to pull my finger out and start getting into this! I can feel my wallet beginning to hurt already :/ I'm the same as agoalie in that I'm moreso into fhe building of a stadium and painting of figures than the game itself, but as I've never played or even seen a game that's just an assumption haha. I saw on the Subbuteo Australia facebook page there is an event on the 21st? Is that still going ahead? Would love to pop down and have a look

• Like 1

Hey mate, good to hear you are interested!

Yes, the tournament on the 21st is still going ahead. It would be great if you could come and play in it, we are always looking for new players and our players range from all skill levels so you don't need to worry about getting hammered.

It would also be a great opportunity to  chat to some of the guys about going ahead with painting and building a stadium.

Personally, I found that without the regular meetups for the game itself, I lost interest in building a stadium and chose rather to focus on the game. But there is room for it either way.

I can supply you with a team for the team for the tournament. PM young polak if you are interested.  Would be great to see you there.

Edited by True Until I die
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just letting you all know of some upcoming events:

Our next tournament is on May the 21st and is in Altona: https://www.facebook.com/events/103405459991452/

And we are holding a big fistf international open on Saturday October the 10th. This will be a fantastic day with players from all over Australia.  You can check it out and register here: http://subbuteoaustralia.com/?p=1324

Cheers guys, come on Citeh

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have some exciting news:

We got in contact with Melbourne City if they would like the subbuteo club to be included in their fan engagement before a home game and they asked us to join them at the derby fixture.

We will be setting up at city square (Gosch's Paddock) to hold a demonstration and have people experiment and play the game to see how it all works on a makeshift 3/4 board

I'll also bring stuff to sell such as:
- stickers from the previous post I made (50 cents for sticker)
- a few teams to sell from my collection (ranging from $15 - $30 per set)
- We will also have a starter set (includes cloth pitch, barriers, goals, 2 teams) which could be ideal for those to kick start their interest of playing or you could have it as a christmas gift for someone in mind

We should be operating from 5:00pm to 7:00pm so come and say hello.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

12573955_879500562170478_290438462365165

The Melbourne Table Football Club is thrilled to announce its squad for the 2016 Australian Grand Prix of Table Football to be held in Sydney this weekend.
5 players are set to compete in the Open category with an additional player competing in the Junior category.
The squad for the team event boasts 4 International players with two players having previously played in the FISTF World Cup.
The team is looking forward to a great weekend and has its eyes firmly fixed on the team event trophy which it missed out on so narrowly losing in the final of the 2015 AGP

Australian Squad for International Friendly

MEDIA RELEASE, JAN 18, 2016

STRONG AUSTRALIAN LINE-UP SELECTED FOR UPCOMING SINGAPORE CLASH

Australian Table Football Association president Steve Dettre today announced the Australian team to take on Singapore at the Australian Grand Prix tournament at Sydney’s 99 on York this Sunday 24th January.

The AGP will commence on Friday 22nd with a gala welcome dinner, and the Grand Prix event will follow on the Saturday. On the Sunday, international club competition will feature in the morning, with the internationals in the afternoon. Australia “B” will play Singapore “B” as a curtain raiser to the “A” teams doing battle to close of the weekend’s action.

This is one of the strongest line-ups we have fielded at international level for some time” said Dettre. “Having the international tournament at the same event, has ensured attendance from some of our country’s strongest players”.

Singapore’s Den Mulia Musni recently won the International Open of Singapore and is one of the top-ranked players in Asia …..

Table Football, or “Subbuteo” as it is widely known, is a game simulating association football. For many years it was marketed as “the replica of Association Football” or “Table Soccer”.

Thomas, Green and Raffaele Lombardi have represented Australia at World Cups and are looking forward to representing Australia on home soil again. “It’s great to have an event of this stature back in Australia”, said Thomas, ranked 48 in the world. “Having the Singapore national squad here, plus overseas clubs, plus world No. 8 Christian Haas shows that our local body is seriously getting table football going again”, he added.

Melbourne’s Carl Young has formerly represented Wales, and is looking forward to representing his new home in such an event. “I can’t wait”, he said. “Representing at international level means you’re playing the world’s best. I’ve seen the set-up plans for 99 on York, and it’s a quality venue. It will be a memorable experience”.

1 Peter THOMAS (Melbourne TFC)
2 Robert GREEN (Northern Falcons TFC (Sydney))
3 Carl YOUNG (Melbourne TFC)
4 Raffaele LOMBARDI (Subbuteo Parramatta (Sydney))
5 Benji BATTEN (Melbourne TFC)
6 Daniele LOMBARDI (Subbuteo Parramatta (Sydney))
7 Adrian ELMER (Subbuteo Parramatta (Sydney))
8 Dom GRENOT (Northern Falcons TFC (Sydney))
9 Fabrizio COCO (Subbuteo Parramatta (Sydney))
10 Paul MAGEE (Deportivo de La Katoomba (Sydney))

The teams taking part in the tournament are:

Brisbane Subbuteo Club

Hong Kong Dragons

Jurong Central SC

Melbourne Table Football Club

Northern Falcons TFC

Singapore Lions SC

Subbuteo Parramatta

TFC Wiener Neustad

Deportivo de la Katoomba

INTERNATIONAL MATCHES

Australia A v Singapore A

Australia B v Singapore B

http://subbuteoaustralia.com/?p=2178

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I can't make it to Sydney, but the run down of the event would be an evening Friday night Dinner with Simon Hill (Fox Sports Commentator) would be doing the draw for the individual open and the team draws for Saturday and Sunday. Others in attendance are Terry McFlynn, Stephanie Brantz, & Rale Rasic.

Word is that Fox Sports would do a news coverage tonight at the draw dinner and will feature an article or two on their website during this weekend's event

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks heads up !

This Sunday on FOX Sports popular weekend football wrap program "SHOOTOUT", Simon and Dan's excellent story on table football and the Australian Grand Prix will go to air (FOX Sports 4 - Channel 505 ... 7.00PM)

Also featured will be Subbuteo Parramatta's Adrian Elmer and his daughters, they'll be in the studio to talk about table football and have a flick with panel members

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Polak said:

OK folks heads up !

This Sunday on FOX Sports popular weekend football wrap program "SHOOTOUT", Simon and Dan's excellent story on table football and the Australian Grand Prix will go to air (FOX Sports 4 - Channel 505 ... 7.00PM)

Also featured will be Subbuteo Parramatta's Adrian Elmer and his daughters, they'll be in the studio to talk about table football and have a flick with panel members

Got it ready to record 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

agp2017-poster-jan-1000px.jpg

I would like to report that Sydney had hosted the annual Australian grand prix this weekend and Melbourne Table Football Club had came out winners in the individual open, the club/teams event and also winners in the juniors and womens category with a total participation of 32 players across 6 clubs and 5 cities. Both the open and club tournaments we are now back to back winners and it's fair to say we have become an Australian powerhouse club. At this stage, we are preparing to bid/negotiate to obtain the rights to host the Australian Grand Prix, and also merge this with the Asian Cup in January 2018. If we are successful in the bid we should have a lot of time on our hands to promote this within the international subbuteo community and prepare a venue, where we will have a strong chance of increasing the participation rate of overseas players (Japanese and Malaysian) and a strong return of 2 Singaporean clubs to come to play in Australia.

The Melbourne club has grown a lot within the past year and this forced another club to spawn in the west side of melbourne (Altona) just to increase and even out the flow of the rate of games as players are scattered all across melbourne and consistent travelling has become an issue for some. There is also a 3rd club spawning very soon around the Heidelberg area which really will only focus on local and friendly sessions for beginners in that region.

If anyone on this forum is reading this and still has some thought on whether to try out this sport/boardgame, we do have 2 melbourne club facebook pages to follow, and also private groups for each club for discussions and organizing sessions, so don't hesitate as we come from a very wide age bracket and are a friendly bunch of chaps.

https://www.facebook.com/melbournetfc/

https://www.facebook.com/WesternFlickers/

It's also pretty funny to look back on how things have started with @KSK_47 Starting this thread out of nostalgia and interest to share on this forgotten culture that only carried a strong existence in the United Kingdom and in Italy. It's only fitting to post this youtube video on the theory of the butterfly effect of how something so small gradually expanded into something so drastically huge that none would have ever imagined it would turn into. Subbuteo was only being revived in Sydney back in 2010 but this thread, back in 2012, planted a seed that would have others research about this game and find out a tiny community across the state and learn from their experiences and club management to make it work in Melbourne.

• 4 months later...

FYI ABC News has done an article

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-11/australias-unheralded-subbuteo-team-beats-japan/8607988

Australia's Subbuteo team beats Japan in Asian Cup in joyous table football win

BY TRACEY HOLMES UPDATED ABOUT 6 HOURS AGO

Australia faces Japan in Subbuteo Asian Cup.
PHOTO 

Table football can be a tense affair. Multiply that a few times when its played in the Asian Cup.

AUSTRALIAN TABLE FOOTBALL (SUBBUTEO) ASSOCIATION

There are no fancy uniforms, no Sports Commission grants, nor a single dollar in sponsorship.

To be brutally honest, there's not even much fanfare for this team of unheard-of Australians, in a little known sport, who this weekend celebrated their first overseas victory since 1994.

The event is the Asia Cup. The sport is table football, or Subbuteo.

Never heard of it? Never mind. You have now.

Australia plays Japan in Subbuteo Asian Cup

PHOTO Australia cobbled together a team in time for the Asian Cup, even flying in one team member from Sweden.

The event is being played in Tokyo and the Australians spent last night celebrating a 3-1 win over Japan.

Australian team spokesman Steve Dettre told The Ticket "people may laugh but it's like any sport, you play at a pretty high level and it's quite tense".

"Some of the best players in Asia are here, actually some of them are ranked in the top 50 in the world," he said.

"It's quite a challenge playing at this level … like the game I just played, one mistake and the other guy scored, so it's pretty hectic.

"We've got about 200 to 300 players in Australia now. It doesn't sound like a lot but we started from ground zero and we let everybody know the Asia Cup was coming up … so we put together a team.

"We got a guy from Perth, two are from Sydney and an Aussie guy flew in from Sweden."

There are six nations, including Australia, to contest the prestigious 'Open' event on Sunday. Saturday featured a veteran's comp and the Nation's Cup — featuring Japan, Singapore and Australia.

Australia's Subbuteo factfile:

• Our highest ranked international Table Football player is Melbourne TFC's Peter Thomas, ranked 40th in the world
  • The Melbourne Table Football Club is ranked 44th in the world
  • There are table football clubs in every Australian capital city
  • Club membership is for men and women, boys and girls of all ages
  • Matches consist of two 15-minute halves
  • The Asia Cup Open will be covered by NHK Japanese television
  • Australia has never won the Asia Cup

Despite its historic victory over Japan, the Australians weren't good enough for Singapore who walked away with the Nation's Cup.

Australian and Japanese players at Subbuteo Asian Cup

PHOTO Raffaele Lombardi (R) is one of Australia's team-members in Tokyo.

The International Federation of Subbuteo Table Football (FISTF) is not as advanced, or well funded, as their cousins from FIFA so a win at the Asia Cup doesn't provide a pathway to a world event.

"The international scene is not that developed, but obviously that's a future plan," Dettre said.

"All we'll get for winning something here will be bragging rights."

• Like 1

Another Article from Japan from the Asian Cup that past

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170612-00000007-wordleaf-soci&p=2

game? Or sports? Ohajiki football, Asia Cup Japan first held

6/12 (Monday) 19: 10 delivery

THE PAGE

British-born table football familiar in Europe for a long time. There are also World Cups where players from all over the world meet, and branches are located in each region under the supervision of an international organization called FISTF. The competition population is said to be five million people. In Japan it adopts the name "Ohajiki football" because it repels player pieces like Ojjiki. 

On June 10 and 11, the first Asian Cup in Japan was held at the Lifelong Learning Center in Adachi-ku, Tokyo. More than 40 athletes from Japan, Singapore, Australia and Hong Kong participated, and Singapore won three consecutive victories in a country-competitive fight with the greatest attention. Tan Kok Wie of the country also won the individual match.

Is Ohajiki football a game? Is it a sport?

The rules are as follows. First it is divided into attack and defense. The attacking side repels the Ojiki on which the doll rides with the fingers and moves the ball. One Ojiki can dribble three times in a row, so you need to pass to the other Ojikaki in the meantime. If you advance the ball and put it in the shoot area (line is drawn), you can not shoot (in the case of an own goal it will be a score if you enter from anywhere). 

When the attacking side does not touch the ball or when the ball kicked touches the defensive side where the kicked ball is stopped, the defensive change (change). Also, if you touch the Odehara on the defense side before touching the ball, it becomes an attacker's change. 

The defense side can not touch the ball. After the attacker has repaired, while the attacking side is the next to hit the ball, you can move the frame defensively. 

The attacker does not have to wait for defensive movements.

It is said that thumbs can not be used when repelling the Ohajiki. Practicing makes it possible to control as if the player's intention is as intense as the player's coma. In the game, creativity and concentration are required, such as subtle exaggeration of the fingertip and assembly of tactics. Also, if you follow the ball from one side to the other side quickly and move quickly, you lose your physical strength beyond what you can imagine from one look (15 minutes half). It is no longer a game but a sport. It can be said that it is a great appeal that various people can meet and enjoy together regardless of age, sex and race nationality.

The world cup that becomes stronger by the flickering is not a dream

Mr. Kenzo Koyo, the representative director of the Japan Otahaki Football Association who has participated in the World Cup, said, "Although I launched the association ten years ago, my first participation in the World Cup (Manchester Games) five years ago I got a lot of help from overseas and network.It's the result of the Asian Cup in Japan. " 

Regarding the real thrill of Ohajiki football, "I can only become stronger for the rest of my life, practice is important, studying tactics and opponent's habits in real time.I have the same mind as football.When the world cup in Japan finally opened The era will come, that is our immediate goal. "

Currently, the number of players in Japan is about 100 people. In the future, I would like to expand the club team nationwide and train players who can fight in the world cup. If you are interested, please search the Japan Oshaki Football Association and see the official website. It might be a way to the World Cup. 

(Interview, sentence, photography: Koji Shiwa)

【2017 Asian Cup Results】
● Nationally competing 
wins: Singapore 
second place winner: Australia 
No. 3: Japan 
● Club competition wins 
victory: SG Lions 
second place: Yokohama OSC 
No. 3: Sakuragicho TFC, Wild Blue TFC 

● Individual game 
Winning: Tan Kwee Wee ( 
Singapore) 
Second Prize: Rafael Lombard (Australia) No. 3: Bernard Lynn (Singapore), Robert Green (Australia)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, we have been in touch with Melbourne City and we will have the opportunity to set up our boards at the city square for A-League fixtures. I have done it before back in 2015 but I did not have the luxury to transport a full sized board and had to improvise with a makeshift miniature one which wasn't of the best quality. The boards will be of professional standard so people can grasp the full experience of the game.

I can also chuck in some free stickers of different designs if you find me there

https://www.facebook.com/SubbuteoAustralia/

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, screen and indoor

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Scott Jamieson and Kimon Taliadoros came down last night at an event we organised at Lakeside Stadium to raise awareness for testicular cancer under the Dylan Tombides foundation banner (DT38). Absolute top class from the both of them as they also used to play this game growing up and made everyone's night that day.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: 2 people, indoor

No photo description available.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 4