Melbourne Football

Flick here for Subbuteo

KSK_47

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I just bought my son a subbuteo. He loves it. I used to play it- well a million years ago- and I had forgotten what a great game it is.

Just like your input; I would like to put the pitch on a wooden board for permanent strech and stick the goals as well. Any ideas on whats the best way of doing it?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by babislak

I used the spray on glue. One tin did the job.
My  board is:
1565 long
1060 wide
18mm MDF
Surrounded with pine. 240 gap for goal keepers at the ends.

The board is heavy so keep this is mind if you do not have a permanent place to store it. The board needs to be thicker so it won't warp.

I got my ideas from the table building tips at this site
https://sites.google.com/site/howtoplaysubbuteo/

There are a few on here with more experience putting these things together, so I am sure you will get plenty of good advice.

Peter.

Thanks for the advise guys. Actually my sister picked it up for him at Toys R us. I'll give it a shot and see I go I guess.

Can you actually buy anything subbuteo related in Melbourne other that your typical set?

Edited by babislak

Mr Babislak, will you be keen to cometitively play subbuteo once in a while? We usually have tournaments around once a month or sometimes one every 2 months. We have an upcoming event on the 11th of October. Majority are just amateurs and still learning the game so there is no shame if you may be rusty after not playing for so many years

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

Also babislak, don't be concerned if your players don't slide like they do on YouTube. Simply get a can of Mr Sheen, spray some on a cloth and rub the base of your players on the Mr Sheen before rubbing the excess off on a dry spot on the cloth.

The instant result of a slick, sliding player brings so much confidence. Next comes the accuracy :).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah. Its one more thing on a long list of things that I appreciate and would love to get into but just cant justify spending money on.

so 2 years later and now there is a registered not-for-profit club here where it's usually active in the south-east area, large tournament this Saturday and an Asian Cup tournament in January in Prahran where fox sports have expressed interest on the option to come down and have a look at it if the criteria is met.

Dude, when will you come down? I have plenty of teams to share on the day if money is an issue :P

Haha. I seriously can't believe that a thread a made in passing has given birth to all that. It's incredible.

Generally my weekends are completely booked but I would really like to photograph a meet if you guys are up for it. It's my daughter's birthday this weekend so I can't do this one but could you please PM me the details of the next event? If I get plenty of notice I can make necessary arrangements. You are correct. It's about time I made my way out to one of these!

Haha. I seriously can't believe that a thread a made in passing has given birth to all that. It's incredible.

Generally my weekends are completely booked but I would really like to photograph a meet if you guys are up for it. It's my daughter's birthday this weekend so I can't do this one but could you please PM me the details of the next event? If I get plenty of notice I can make necessary arrangements. You are correct. It's about time I made my way out to one of these!

Well we have a private facebook group where we generally update stuff on it occasionally usually with meet ups. If you want I can add you to it, since there is a big gap between now and the Asian Cup event in January which runs at the same time as the AFC tournament (i think), I'm thinking of hosting one in between either in November or December

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going through this thread has peaked some interest in me, some really awesome creations, not really interested in playing the game but the idea and creation of stadiums and fans appeals to me. Any tips on starting out, getting terraces/fans/teams.

• Like 1

Hey mate, great to hear your interested, Young Polak is probably the best to offer advice on the stadium aspect of it.

Unfortunately stands and supporters are only really available overseas.  But we do have some gear locally as far as pitches, goals and gear goes.

I will leave Young Polak to offer his advice when he sees this :)

if you are around on January 17/18 it would be great for you to come and have a look- but as you had indicated, the playing aspect didn't appeal to you as much. would be great nonetheless

Cheers

Going through this thread has peaked some interest in me, some really awesome creations, not really interested in playing the game but the idea and creation of stadiums and fans appeals to me. Any tips on starting out, getting terraces/fans/teams.

Ebay is your main source for stadium stuff

Search:

Subbuteo Stadium

Subbuteo Terrace

Subbuteo Grandstand

2 kinds of terraces, there are tanned coloured ones, and then there are grey ones.

Tanned terraces look like a later model make of the grey, however the big difference between them is that grey terraces have built in plastic connecters that are used in grandstand structures (stacking them to make 2 levels)

Tanned Terrace

subbuteo%20terrace%20stand%201970%27s.JP

Grey Terrace

$_35.JPG

Corner terraces ( I don't have) are pretty cool but are expensive as they only packed one in each box

Subbuteo-Ref-C143-Corner-Terrace-Section

Subbuteo Grandstands

There is this old version where 2 terraces are directly stacked on top of each other

grandstand.jpg

Then there is this modern one which is longer than the green version, and wouldn't look nice if they are put side-by-side

f509346e3fa8fcd3b13dfdaa83a7c664.jpg

to suit the green grandstand in a stadium build, you either buy more of the same ones or place single terraces like in this pic

m5BJA53pM_TI_7bE0K7Scwg.jpg

Then there is a Zeugo Grandstand and a corner piece, the main grandstand is smaller in width compared to the regular subbuteo grandstand and terraces. Unfortunately They are out of stock throughout the suppliers on ebay and on subbuteo websites

a.zeugostand10.jpga.zeugostand7.jpg

If you want to paint teams, I use the tamiya model brand and I purchase flat colours (Flat blue, flat green, -> read their labels)

tamiyaxfpaints.jpg

You can get any sort of sized brush logical for figures, they are roughly 20mm in length and 8mm wide. For detailing I use a size 0 brush but if you have a really steady hand, you could aim for a smaller brush

the paint and brushes I bought from a local hobby shop

If you want to buy figures, they are hard to come by on ebay right now since individual sellers haven't relisted them during the christmas period. ATM there are unpainted figures on sale here http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/subbuteo-accessories/grandstands-spectators

A single terrace fits about 180-200 figures.

Things should be coming back on ebay, not much there to buy, a grandstand would cost you b/w $80-120 depending on condition, there are 2 terraces in a box combo usually around $50-60, single terraces can be found for a total of $30-40 incl delivery

Types of teams and brands that produce teams are a whole different discussion, depending on where you stand whether you are a serious player, casual or only for a diorama show.

And with buying pitches, same as well.

If you want to experiment and unsure whether you like it or not, just buy a single terrace (how I started) and make that bay full of home supporters, and use an away corner piece for away fans.

906474_319780884827292_1877812323_o.jpg

543038_177842549021127_42126790_n.jpg?oh

59028_177842502354465_1938147873_n.jpg?o

If you are crafty in the carpentary department, can always take a punt at improvising stadium builds.

Here are some pics for more inspirations https://www.facebook.com/pages/Subbuteo-Hooligan/115055211966528?sk=timeline&ref=page_internal

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...