Melbourne Football

Moving to Melbourne tips thread.

perthheart

Me and a mate (also a converted heart fan) are moving to Melbourne mid next year for a year or two. Planning on doing it with coming over with nowt but a suitcase and go from there.

Main things of interest are best suburbs to be looking in, how fucked the rental market is. Average kind of prices we'd be looking at for a shitty apartment/sharehouse rooms. Etc. Preferably within 30mins of cbd.

Also likelihood of easily picking up bar work is a plus. Any info at all would be sweet. Cheers lads.

• Like 1

I moved across from dullsville about 5/6 years ago with my missus. As we both didn't have jobs it was impossible finding a rental, despite including bank statements showing we had 30k in our bank account and offering to pay 3 months rent in advance. Ended up having to do a share house for a few months until we could get our own.

The best places we found for sharehouses were probably Brunswick and St Kilda. Lots of big old houses with big bedrooms, good public transport, cheap pubs etc. But anywhere inner city is going to be fine really. Im currently living in Brunswick which is by far my favourite suburb of Melbourne, has the best pubs with beer gardens and the type you can rock up in your thongs and singlet (unlike Perth), heaps of cheap eats as well. 

And unlike that shithole Perth, you don't need to worry about having a car here. We went about 3 years without having one and still rarely use it other than shopping or to go camping. 
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm thinking gumtree share houses probs be the way forward. Will be coming over with about 20k to my name so can afford to sorted while looking for work. Don't anticipate it being overly difficult to find work over there got enough experience in bars to be fine. I pay 400 by myself at the moment for rent so splitting rent on 400 apartment should be fine provided I can find work with enough hours.

Have friends living in st kilda and didn't mind it there tbh. Will check out Brunswick.

Yeah I'm thinking gumtree share houses probs be the way forward. Will be coming over with about 20k to my name so can afford to sorted while looking for work. Don't anticipate it being overly difficult to find work over there got enough experience in bars to be fine. I pay 400 by myself at the moment for rent so splitting rent on 400 apartment should be fine provided I can find work with enough hours.

Have friends living in st kilda and didn't mind it there tbh. Will check out Brunswick.

Ahhh St kilda quality hunting grounds for smack and prostitutes :up:

Tbf by the point in the night I'd consumed enough pills and low grade coke to run an early 1900's tour de France a few times over. All the venues eventually blurred into one. Dick liquor managed to see itself into whatever fragments of memory I'd retained of the night though. Think we eventually ended up harassing backpackers at some place called base?

• Like 2

When you are walking down the street and people are blowing their horns - It's never cos they are somebody you know like in Perth.

Heres me just thinking everyone was super friendly round those parts. Not sure where you grew up in Perth as my initial reaction to a car beepings it's horn is to duck.

When you are walking down the street and people are blowing their horns - It's never cos they are somebody you know like in Perth.

Heres me just thinking everyone was super friendly round those parts. Not sure where you grew up in Perth as my initial reaction to a car beepings it's horn is to duck. Also despite what Perthites think, Eastern Staters don't all hate The West - They actually don't care about Perth at all and hate Sydney more than Perth.

They don't even know the term "Eastern Staters" exists...

• Like 1

Heres me just thinking everyone was super friendly round those parts. Not sure where you grew up in Perth as my initial reaction to a car beepings it's horn is to duck. Also despite what Perthites think, Eastern Staters don't all hate The West - They actually don't care about Perth at all and hate Sydney more than Perth.

They don't even know the term "Eastern Staters" exists...

you had me at hating nsw... <3 the west

Maybe it's the group of mates I have but I don't think I've ever heard the term eastern staters? Most of my generation at least are more jealous of what Melbourne and Sydney have and we miss out on due to lack of population/isolation.

Nor was I under any illusions that those on the east coast care about Perth at all. As long as the eagles or dockers aren't beating Melbourne teams and our mining dollars keep flowing in they have lIttle reason to acknowledge this corner haha.

I personally couldn't care less is the same country after all. Im movIng to be closer to everything. Only so much you can experience in my line of work in Perth. Music, art, sports pretty much all better in Melbourne. I would seriously be worried about the mental processing skills of someone who legitimately didn't like someone based purely on what state they were raised.

Although if bogan car bumper stickers have taught me anything it's that there are only two states to be in 'WA and pissed'

• Like 1

If you are going to move to brunswick, you will need a beard, shithouse second hand woolen cardigan and a fixie.

St. Kilda is alright if you can understand the english and irish accents.

The western suburbs arent too bad. The bad shit that you hear of happens all over melbs, not just in the west.

Maybe have a look at hawthorn/camberwell/glen iris area. Close to city, plenty of pt options, rents bit pricey, similar to perth I imagine

I pay $1560/month in glen iris. 2broom unit. From what I jear though thats about 200-300 cheaper a month than other units in the street.

Edited by sheepdog

Looks for a place in Richmond mate, then you can walk to all of our home games! Shit load of pubs, no need to grow a beard, the only hookers are the ones working in licenced brothels and rent in a share house is only $200 - $250 a week.

I'd tend to agree with this although some parts of Richmond are pretty smacked out too.

I've grown up in Perth and lived in the east end of London for a year crackheads aren't that big of an issue. More just lOoking for decent proximity to everything at a rate that's at least similiar to what I pay over here which is $250 a week. Looking thru suburbs suggested here looks like all the suggested suburbs like Richmond, Brunswick and st kilda fit the bill and will all be do-able. Will just see what's available at the time I make the move. Cheers lads.