Melbourne Football

Michael Mifsud

Tommykins

I have good feeling about this bloke,

I have for three years called for Heart to recruit a Fox in the Box type player who just knows how to score (See Damian Mori) and I reckon Mifsud could be this player.

We've been through this, we shouldn't sign someone like Damian Mori, we should sign Damian Mori.

• Like 1

Strange article as it mentions him as a marquee and has two years for his contract, both of which I thought were contradicted in earlier press.

To be honest, i dont mind the idea of 2 years.

I think the term 'marquee is being used very loosly. He would be a marquee signing for the club as in name and a crowd drawer, but not officially a 'marquee' on the books if that makes any sense at all

I don't think two years is a bad call either, I was just surprised by the use of the word marquee is all.

I wasnt having a go at all. I was more saying that i hope that this article is correct with the 2 years, but its more my Maltese bias saying that lol.

Honestly though, i've seen him play a few times for Malta live and on the Tele and i think he will do wonders for us. He's a finisher and not only does he have a ping from outside the box, he gets himself in constant scoring positions which is everything we have lacked in a striker.

Big things can come in small packages and i think this applies to Mifsud :)

You may have answered this before but being a Maltese bloke how many extra memberships do you expect this to bring us? How many mates of yours will be signing up? Or will most just go to 1 or 2 games?

The unfortunate thing for me is most of my Maltese mates are either Victard supporters or already Heart members so i dont think ill be able to bring over any members, but i know that my mates Victards or not will go watch Heart games cause of him showing up.

I will be honest and say im enjoying the fact my Maltese Victard mates are shattered he's playing for us. Gives me an extreme amount of satisfaction lmao :lol:

Ambition? tears in eyes? are you guys retarded? We've signed a Victory reject who's old and no one likes and now a guy from the Maltese premier league who isn't even big enough to go on the mad mouse. Fold the club it's embarrassing.

You're the one that's retarded budy.

HK played less then a season for MV then left and you call him victory reject?

As for Misfud, what makes you an expert in his signing?

You "heard" he is short and didn't play for Madrid?

That makes him a poor signing

Look you medication is no longer doing the job. Time to change your therapist.

• Like 2

Ambition? tears in eyes? are you guys retarded? We've signed a Victory reject who's old and no one likes and now a guy from the Maltese premier league who isn't even big enough to go on the mad mouse. Fold the club it's embarrassing.

You're the one that's retarded budy.

HK played less then a season for MV then left and you call him victory reject?

As for Misfud, what makes you an expert in his signing?

You "heard" he is short and didn't play for Madrid?

That makes him a poor signing

Look you medication is no longer doing the job. Time to change your therapist.

All a man can do is stand up and clap to that post

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I reckon a few hundred extra members; definitely some relatives of mine are signing up, and I reckon lots of GG and SGX people will too.

GG gets next to nobody at their games and Georgie's gets nobody...

Just checked back in the old NSL day in 1984 when green gully were part of it and they were getting crowds of about 500 against interstate teams and in 89 when they switched to summer, SGX were getting crowds of about 1.5k against interstate teams. I say interstate since its probably a better indication of home support. 

So if we were able to get even just a couple hundred of these people on board i'd call that a huge success. Not ground breaking by any means but a smart investment. 

Now we just need to win to keep people coming back

Edited by Tbitm

Do you reckon only liking a player coz hes Maltese is dumber than disliking a player coz hes a midget...

I'd say so.

Give us a break, the only other Maltese player to play A-League is John Hutchinson.

If he turns out to be shit I won't be singing his praises. But until that happens I'll be excited.

Do you reckon only liking a player coz hes Maltese is dumber than disliking a player coz hes a midget...

I'd say so.

i dont disagree, i find it odd that kids that have grandparents from a country that moved here over 50 years ago hold a strong connection to that country when they are 100% aussie. Nonetheless, they do, so its worth noting down what maltese support there is in melbourne.

I'd say so.

Give us a break, the only other Maltese player to play A-League is John Hutchinson.

If he turns out to be shit I won't be singing his praises. But until that happens I'll be excited.

Thats write.

Give the bloke a chance before giving it to him. you look at someone like Archie who had been one of the best players in the a league the lady few years and what's he's pedigree??? Fuck all really. At least Mifsud had played in europe and scored for both club and country (which doing that for Malta is like climbing Mt Everest)

Just wait to pass judgement guys

• Like 1

I'd say so.

Manny Muscat says hello.

Happy with the deal mentioned in that article. I think Mifsud can do a solid job for us over 2 seasons.

The signing of Mifsud will complete our squad, as each squad can sign a maximum of 23 players and he is our 23rd player. However, we can sign an injury replacement for Engelaar, and Heart has said it is going to use that injury replacement spot. Also, with Macallister now being injured, it is conceivable that we could sign an injury replacement player for him as well.

I reckon a few hundred extra members; definitely some relatives of mine are signing up, and I reckon lots of GG and SGX people will too.

GG gets next to nobody at their games and Georgie's gets nobody...

Just checked back in the old NSL day in 1984 when green gully were part of it and they were getting crowds of about 500 against interstate teams and in 89 when they switched to summer, SGX were getting crowds of about 1.5k against interstate teams. I say interstate since its probably a better indication of home support.

So if we were able to get even just a couple hundred of these people on board i'd call that a huge success. Not ground breaking by any means but a smart investment.

Now we just need to win to keep people coming back Look I am happy with this signing – and I have nothing against the Maltese community, I actually have Maltese first cousins...

But the fact is that St George Cross have only sunk lower and lower as a club since 1989 as the Maltese community became more and more assimilated into regular Melbourne Society so the need for a link to the Maltese community became less and less.

(My Maltese Uncle has told me this himself.)

As for Green Gully, the club has dominated the VPL in the past six or so years prior to this season and for all the great results on the field they are easily one of the worst drawing VPL sides of the past five years. The literally only have the same twenty people at their games unless they make the final for which they pay for buses to send their juniors to go attend the game.

Don't know if this should be a concern in our pursuit of Misfud, but I found this in an article by the Malta Independant

'Sliema also seem to be a strong side this season and if they manage to land the services of Michael Mifsud – rumours are rife that a deal is expected in the next few days – then they must be considered as one of the great favourites for the title this season.'

Any thoughts

I preferred this place when it was the Greeks talking shit.

You have told us your not getting a membership cos of Kewell and now this signing.

Then you told us because of these two signing you think the club should fold.

Thats your opinion Fair Enuf.

Buy why are you still posting on here then???

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Don't know if this should be a concern in our pursuit of Misfud, but I found this in an article by the Malta Independant

'Sliema also seem to be a strong side this season and if they manage to land the services of Michael Mifsud – rumours are rife that a deal is expected in the next few days – then they must be considered as one of the great favourites for the title this season.'

Any thoughts

link??

Any thoughts

link??

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2013-09-14/football/hibernians-expected-to-continue-setting-the-pace-at-the-top-2587066370/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_3025 

7th Paragraph down

Any thoughts

The one thing that comes to mind is the fact he left the best team in Malta and terminated a contract to head overseas and try and ply his trade.

Plus I just can't see him getting anywhere near the reported amount of $300k a season in Malta so why would he not leave malta for us?

Not to mention he gets to play against the likes of Del Piero, Heskey and play in the same side as Kewell.

Before I cop a bending over, we have to remember that Kewell was one of the best players in the Premier League let alone Europe.

My thoughts are that I wouldn't worry

It's odd the Union Jack is still on the Aussie flag yet Australians connection with Britain dates back 100s of years ago.

Well considering we are still part of the commonwealth and that all legislation in Aus requires royal assent, I would definitely say our connection is ongoing not 100 years old.

• Like 2

Any thoughts

link??

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2013-09-14/football/hibernians-expected-to-continue-setting-the-pace-at-the-top-2587066370/#inscore_ifheight_xdc_3025 

7th Paragraph down

I wouldn't read much into that 'rumour'. The article is 2 days old, and the 442 exclusive article that was put online earlier today said Mifsud is just a medical away from joining, and that he'd be in Melbourne 'this week', with his signing and announcement being 'only a formality now'.

Also, Mifsud got released from his Maltese club early so that he could pursue opportunities overseas. Here's the official club statement:

“Valletta FC and Michael Mifsud have agreed to part company, two years into the player’s five year contract with the club.

“Michael had expressed his desire to pursue playing opportunities abroad. An amicable settlement was reached followed talks between club and player.

“Michael Mifsud in now officially a free agent.

“Valletta FC would like to thank Michael for his services to the club and wishes him well for his personal and professional future.”

(http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130620/sport/michael-mifsud-terminates-valletta-fc-contract.474713)

It wouldn't make any sense for Velletta to released Mifsud early, so that he could go join a club Velletta is in competition with. 

Finally, when asked about his career 6 days ago by Fifa.com, Mifsud said “I’ve been giving some thought to my next career move. I don’t want to get it wrong. I’m currently in discussions with some foreign clubs. We’ll see what happens,” he said, before concluding, “I’m 32, but as long as my body allows me to play, I’ll keep going. As for motivation, well, I’ll always have that.” (http://m.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=2170051.html).

So I don't think there's anything to that article with the 'rumour', and I reckon Mifud will be announced before Wednesday, like Scott Munn said.

Edited by Murfy1

Any thoughts

link??

7th Paragraph down

I wouldn't read much into that 'rumour'. The article is 2 days old, and the 442 exclusive article that was put online earlier today said Mifsud is just a medical away from joining, and that he'd be in Melbourne 'this week', with his signing and announcement being 'only a formality now'.

Also, Mifsud got released from his Maltese club early so that he could pursue opportunities overseas. Here's the official club statement:

“Valletta FC and Michael Mifsud have agreed to part company, two years into the player’s five year contract with the club.

“Michael had expressed his desire to pursue playing opportunities abroad. An amicable settlement was reached followed talks between club and player.

“Michael Mifsud in now officially a free agent.

“Valletta FC would like to thank Michael for his services to the club and wishes him well for his personal and professional future.”

(http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130620/sport/michael-mifsud-terminates-valletta-fc-contract.474713)

It wouldn't make any sense for Velletta to released Mifsud early, so that he could go join a club Velletta is in competition with.

Finally, when asked about his career 6 days ago by Fifa.com, Mifsud said “I’ve been giving some thought to my next career move. I don’t want to get it wrong. I’m currently in discussions with some foreign clubs. We’ll see what happens,” he said, before concluding, “I’m 32, but as long as my body allows me to play, I’ll keep going. As for motivation, well, I’ll always have that.” (http://m.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=2170051.html).

So I don't think there's anything to that article with the 'rumour', and I reckon Mifud will be announced before Wednesday, like Scott Munn said.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Im starting the get impatient god damn it lmao