Melbourne Football

Michael Mifsud

Tommykins

”Yes, we have agreed terms with Michael which would complete our roster for the coming season,” Heart chief executive Scott Munn confirmed.

”But until we finalise a deal and sign a contract we are not prepared to make any public statements.”

Terms agreed, but contract not signed, and the club is not making public statements - apart from the three statements already made including this one. I hope there's no last minute hitches. I must say, I liked the Kisnorbo announcement because there was no warning and the deal was completed before any speculation. It was nice to just find out we had a new player.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 6

I'd prefer the maxi-Messi :P but this guy better be good to get the gig over Brent McGrath

Tell me BG, just for interest, what's this love affair with McGrath? Just what precisely are his credentials? Did you see him against Oakleigh? I did, and it was my opinion after what I saw that he would not be signed - and I put that in my comment after the game. He was more mobile than Macallister, but overall not that much better.

• Like 2

I'd prefer the maxi-Messi :P but this guy better be good to get the gig over Brent McGrath

Tell me BG, just for interest, what's this love affair with McGrath? Just what precisely are his credentials? Did you see him against Oakleigh? I did, and it was my opinion after what I saw that he would not be signed - and I put that in my comment after the game. He was more mobile than Macallister, but overall not that much better.

It's not a love affair but I think that one of our goals as a club is to develop young Australian players, Brent is one. Eli was unexceptional in his first season for us but developed well enough to earn 2 O/S contracts. If we are prepared to deny that opportunity tp a local player it had better be because the import is clearly superior.

Edited by belaguttman

To be clear, have we agreed or signed anything?

We've agreed to terms.

Now just waiting for him to sign on the dotted line.

Malta have two more WC qualifiers to go. They're on 11th and 15th October. If MM is in their squad (highly likely) he'll miss our first game and probably the second.

You'd hope that he may miss the first Qualifier and id assume the club would of mentioned this to him

• Like 1

I must say, I liked the Kisnorbo announcement because there was no warning and the deal was completed before any speculation. It was nice to just find out we had a new player.

I can't help but wonder if some players (and their agents) want a bit of media attention prior to them coming to a club. Heart has signed Kisnorbo, Wielaert and Ramsay (and arguably Engelaar) with no media prior to their signings, which shows that Heart is able to sign players in such a way. Whilst Harry Kewell and Mifsud have had Heart talk them up prior to them coming to the club. It wouldn't surprised me if these 2 players (and their agents) wanted to be talked up in the media.

Or maybe just Heart could be talking up signings which it thinks are important. Or both.

I definitely have a "wait and see" position with this guy (assuming he signs).

I understand the excitement from the Maltese community, but I'm a lot more interested in what he did last year (of which there seems little info) than what he did a decade ago. 

PS goals against the Faroe Islands don't excite me.

But this is hardly a league full of highly credentialled strikers. Who would've guessed that Daniel McBreen would've scored the most goals last season? Mifsud is maybe a couple of years younger than Archie Thompson, with a better record in Europe and in international football. If Mifsud was Australian, you could probably make a case that he would be our first choice Socceroo striker.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

If this signing does go through it's a shame we've confirmed our regional game for Albury.

Morwell would've been a perfect location as the LaTrobe Valley has a massive Maltese population due to the infux of migrants to build the Power Stations at Yallourn, Hazelwood and Loy Yang.

Hopefully this signing will get a few more people from the Valley signed up on Country memberships, as the 3.5 hours of train travel to watch shit performances last season was hardly a draw card.

Hopefully Aloisi uses him properly rather than thumping long balls to his head like Tadic last year..  Have to say, not confident judging by the preseason so far.

Well if we play like we did when we moon-balled Terra when he played as the lone striker up front, its not going to be a good outcome.

These both make the same valid point.

But this is where JA comes in. Once the squad is assembled he's the make or break man. That's why this coming season will IMO make or break JA. He's had the opportunity to assemble the squad that he wants - apart from Willo who was signed for three years before JA took over - so now he has to deliver competitive football week in and week out. This is where he has to get his selections right and manage the bench properly. Where he has to manage the mental and physical preparations. Drive his players to deliver more.

We can't all win the league and someone will come last. TBH I don't care as long as we are competitive and give it our best every time. I just don't want to watch any more of that boring negative shit that was served up to us last season.

• Like 3

Mifsud sets heart on Melbourne move

Malta captain Michael Mifsud is poised to join Melbourne Heart after agreeing terms with the Australian A-League club.

“It’s true,” Mifsud told Times of Malta after reports of his imminent switch to the land Down Under appeared on several Australian sports websites yesterday.

“I’ve had discussions with the club and we’ve reached an agreement but the deal has not been signed yet.”

Mifsud is flying out to Australia tomorrow to sign a one-year contract and start training with Melbourne Heart who are led by former Australia international John Aloisi.

With Heart known to be engaged in efforts to sign an “international striker”, club chief executive Scott Munn told SBS Heart that they have “agreed terms” with Mifsud.

After terminating his contract with Valletta in May, Mifsud immediately indicated his desire to continue his career overseas.

The 32-year-old striker, who has also had spells with Kaiserslautern, Lillestrom, Coventry and Barnsley, revealed that he had a number of offers but was lured by the prospect of playing in the A-League.

“They (Melbourne) were not the only club who made an offer for me,” Mifsud said.

“I believe that this is the right move, one that could open the doors to other opportunities in the future.

“The prestige of the A-League has increased significantly in the last few years, especially following the arrival of renowned players like Alessandro Del Piero and Emile Heskey.”

Apart from his footballing attributes, Melbourne are also hoping that the arrival of Mifsud would boost their home gates as there are many Maltese living in Melbourne with Munn describing the prolific striker as “a hero among the Maltese”.

“I’m delighted to be going to a city where there is a large Maltese community,” Mifsud said.

“Provided that everything goes to plan, I’m banking on their support.”

Capped 99 times for Malta, Mifsud is the country’s all-time leading scorer with 37 goals, a feat which prompted national coach Pietro Ghedin to describe his captain as “the history of Maltese football”.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130914/football/Mifsud-sets-heart-on-Melbourne-move.486093?

• Like 1

Mifsud sets heart on Melbourne move

Malta captain Michael Mifsud is poised to join Melbourne Heart after agreeing terms with the Australian A-League club.

“It’s true,” Mifsud told Times of Malta after reports of his imminent switch to the land Down Under appeared on several Australian sports websites yesterday.

“I’ve had discussions with the club and we’ve reached an agreement but the deal has not been signed yet.”

Mifsud is flying out to Australia tomorrow to sign a one-year contract and start training with Melbourne Heart who are led by former Australia international John Aloisi.

With Heart known to be engaged in efforts to sign an “international striker”, club chief executive Scott Munn told SBS Heart that they have “agreed terms” with Mifsud.

After terminating his contract with Valletta in May, Mifsud immediately indicated his desire to continue his career overseas.

The 32-year-old striker, who has also had spells with Kaiserslautern, Lillestrom, Coventry and Barnsley, revealed that he had a number of offers but was lured by the prospect of playing in the A-League.

“They (Melbourne) were not the only club who made an offer for me,” Mifsud said.

“I believe that this is the right move, one that could open the doors to other opportunities in the future.

“The prestige of the A-League has increased significantly in the last few years, especially following the arrival of renowned players like Alessandro Del Piero and Emile Heskey.”

Apart from his footballing attributes, Melbourne are also hoping that the arrival of Mifsud would boost their home gates as there are many Maltese living in Melbourne with Munn describing the prolific striker as “a hero among the Maltese”.

“I’m delighted to be going to a city where there is a large Maltese community,” Mifsud said.

“Provided that everything goes to plan, I’m banking on their support.”

Capped 99 times for Malta, Mifsud is the country’s all-time leading scorer with 37 goals, a feat which prompted national coach Pietro Ghedin to describe his captain as “the history of Maltese football”.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130914/football/Mifsud-sets-heart-on-Melbourne-move.486093?

I'm super excited about this signing but I hope he's here for the right reasons.

This quote along with the alleged dealings and shopping around with that Chris Tanner flog have me a little worried about whether he'll create off-field unrest but as long as he is 100% committed, I'm happy.

I think the deal with Mifsud is a good one. Because it's a 1 year deal, if he's not as good as we need we can cut him loose. Also, if he plays well, I think there's a good chance that we'd be able to re-sign him, because he'll be around 33 when we'd negotiate a new contract with him and I doubt many bigger clubs in bigger leagues would be interested in him.