Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

That's up with the best news I've seen coming out of Bundoora this off-season. Congratulations to Paddy. A few more like him in the club and we'll really go places.

On 2017-7-6 at 2:55 PM, belaguttman said:

Hmmm... anyone know what is happening then with Jess Fishlock?

As far as I know there is nothing official, I felt after the GF win she wouldn't sign with us and she wanted to retire to coach.

I hope she does come back, she was phenomenal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

https://media.whooshkaa.com/show/1919/episode/702620.mp3

At the end of this interview with PK they ask him if he's interested in any of the vacant A League coaches spots. Not that I think he's going anywhere, but it did get me thinking, other clubs may be interested in bringing him on.

I do feel as though his apprenticeship under Mombaerts will be his final one, and after Erick leaves PK will take over as gaffer

I wouldn’t get rid of Mombaerts for the sake of Kisnorbo leaving. Too much jvs/aloisi heart era feeling about this to make it stick. 

Also the pattern of assistant coaches going into the head coaching role that have had success is small. The outliers that broke this pattern (Muscat, Corica) both had extremely successful coaches above them. Of which Mombaerts is not.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I wouldn’t get rid of Mombaerts for the sake of Kisnorbo leaving. Too much jvs/aloisi heart era feeling about this to make it stick. 

Also the pattern of assistant coaches going into the head coaching role that have had success is small. The outliers that broke this pattern (Muscat, Corica) both had extremely successful coaches above them. Of which Mombaerts is not.

Yet. 

• Like 3

Where's the evidence that PK is/would be a good coach?

I would suggest that a few seasons with a youth team would be a minimum before he's thrown in to a senior role.

Mombaerts may or may not be a good coach for Melbourne City. Let me remind you that we haven't won any trophy under him yet. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would suggest that a few seasons with a youth team would be a minimum before he's thrown in to a senior role.

Mombaerts may or may not be a good coach for Melbourne City. Let me remind you that we haven't won any trophy under him yet. 

As 2nd place is out of our hands now and the likelyhood of finished 3rd is realistic. Mombearts won’t be any better than our favorite Warren Joyce.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 12:35 PM, jw1739 said:

Agree with everything except him going to the youth team. He's done that and is now an assistant. Perhaps a side ways move as an assistant is appropriate  but not a downward move to youth coach again. 

On 24/07/2020 at 2:58 PM, Mr MO said:

As 2nd place is out of our hands now and the likelyhood of finished 3rd is realistic. Mombearts won’t be any better than our favorite Warren Joyce.

Mombaerts may or may not be better than Joyce ladder wise but he's hands down a better man manager and brings a better brand of football. So far based of this he's in a different world to Joyce. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, n i k o said:

Agree with everything except him going to the youth team. He's done that and is now an assistant. Perhaps a side ways move as an assistant is appropriate  but not a downward move to youth coach again. 

Mombaerts may or may not be better than Joyce ladder wise but he's hands down a better man manager and brings a better brand of football. So far based of this he's in a different world to Joyce. 

Let's not forget that Mombaerts also had to put up with a squad that was majority constructed (ruined) by Joyce.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2020 at 8:32 PM, n i k o said:

100%. Indeed old 4 eyes only needs 5 points to break our points tally record in a season with one less game, and had to undo what was effectively the total opposite style of play of what we are playing this year.
I don't think i'd go as far as to say he's been a raging success, but he's not too far off that in my book either. I think if he can deliver 2nd spot and a GF appearance its been a pretty successful season, even if its slightly short of where we want to be.

• Like 2

How about we wait until the end of the season? City's 3rd place in 2017/18 looks OK until you realise that we were 21 points behind the winner and 7 points behind second place. In reality we were nowhere that season.

We have 3 matches to play. Sydney have 4 and are already 11 points ahead of us. If we lose all three we could we could end up way down the table and the proverbial mile off both first and second.

We are such chokers that I believe nothing until it's actually happened.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How about we wait until the end of the season? City's 3rd place in 2017/18 looks OK until you realise that we were 21 points behind the winner and 7 points behind second place. In reality we were nowhere that season.

We have 3 matches to play. Sydney have 4 and are already 11 points ahead of us. If we lose all three we could we could end up way down the table and the proverbial mile off both first and second.

Cmon man, i know you're a pessimist by default, but life is a bit more bearable if you're not down on everything all the time.

Clearly we could lose all three and finish 4th or 5th, but we could also win all three and finish 2nd too. Likely we'll end up somewhere in the middle but i honestly dont think it helps anybody to be so gloomy about everything.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Cmon man, i know you're a pessimist by default, but life is a bit more bearable if you're not down on everything all the time.

Clearly we could lose all three and finish 4th or 5th, but we could also win all three and finish 2nd too. Likely we'll end up somewhere in the middle but i honestly dont think it helps anybody to be so gloomy about everything.

We've actually had one hand on the Premiership once before and choked.

Like I said, wait until it's all over.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've actually had one hand on the Premiership once before and choked.

Like I said, wait until it's all over.

Arguable. We were in the position to win it for sure, but i don't think anyone was super confident when we had to go to Perth and win when we've always struggled over there. Choke is very harsh imo.

Of course we can wait til its all over, i'm just saying that making out that everything is bad, and the outlook is only gloomy all the time is a bit of a Debbie Downer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

How about sticking to the substance of the post, and not having a shot at the poster?

I'm doing both actually; that the post is overly negative, and expressing that i believe poster has been particularly negative on there over the past few months which highlights the context of the comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

I probably in between both your opinions. I think Mombaerts has done well albeit in a season where other teams that normally perform better have struggled. Credit to us we have made the most of that. 

We've had a pretty good season by our own standards, but pre-Covid it has been of the easiest A-League seasons in recent memory to look good with so few teams actually being properly competitive.

It's difficult to be truly proud when you look at a team like Sydney FC that really isn't that much better on paper, but they're leagues above the rest of the pack. That's what we should be aspiring to be and while our results this season have been good, we're capable of a lot more as a club.

• Like 1