Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

I believe that it is a no brainer to resign Paddy for another year. What I have learned since coming on here and watching the A League is that you have to sign certain players in a salary capped league. Also I don't think there are many better players in Paddy's position playing in the league.

What we need is to sign another Centre Half along with Saf to bring competition to Paddy. I genuinely believe he has played so much better alongside Kew because both have good experience. Also he has stopped going to ground as much when making a tackle. If Kew was an Aussie he would have been signed up. However, he takes up a valuable Visa spot so it is a much more difficult decision to give him a contract for next season.

Would be happy going into next season with Paddy, Chapman and Safuwan as our centre backs with Clisby another option. Getting two quality full backs should be the priority before we sign another centre back. 

I agree full backs are a bigger priority, but we still need to improve at Centre Half.

Only really solid pairings of centre backs in the league are Durante & Sigmund and Thwaite & Djulbic, you could nearly argue since the departure of Wielaert that we've probably had one of the best centre back pairings in the league spread between Kisnorbo, Chapman and Jaliens. Unless we give Safuwan a miss and go for another foreign centre back I can't see us finding any Australians that would be available without taking a huge chunk out of the salary cap and improve what we already have.

Our defense isn't the issue to be honest. I think we all know it was mainly our keeper (Redders) that had us nervous whenever the opposition pressed forward.

Credit to Norbo, no defender in the league goes into challenges the way he does. Is it silly sometimes? Sure. But the bloke wears his heart on his sleeve damn near every game.

That tackle on Berisha last season - still fresh in our minds.

Clisby / Safuwan, Kisnorbo, Chappy, Franjic (?)

Solid backline IMO.

• Like 6

Our defense isn't the issue to be honest. I think we all know it was mainly our keeper (Redders) that had us nervous whenever the opposition pressed forward.

Credit to Norbo, no defender in the league goes into challenges the way he does. Is it silly sometimes? Sure. But the bloke wears his heart on his sleeve damn near every game.

That tackle on Berisha last season - still fresh in our minds.

Clisby / Safuwan, Kisnorbo, Chappy, Franjic (?)

Solid backline IMO.

Dear Strider,

Stop making sensible football posts. You are confusing me.

Yours etc

S.

• Like 4

A-League: Melbourne City captain Patrick Kisnorbo re-signs with club

MATT WINDLEY

APRIL 10, 2015

MELBOURNE City captain Patrick Kisnorbo will continue on at the club next season the club confirmed on Friday.

Kisnorbo initially signed a two-year deal at then-named Melbourne Heart, which was to expire at the end of this season.

But the 18-times capped Socceroo is understood to have since triggered a one-year extension.

City has a crux of players out of contract at season’s end, including foreigners Damien Duff, Rob Wielaert and Jonatan Germano, but has not yet moved to re-sign any.

City plays title contender Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park tomorrow and a win would all-but secure its spot ahead of Brisbane Roar.

Coach John van’t Schip said his side needs to make its last home game count as the jostling for finals positioning comes down to the wire.

City’s home form has been near flawless since December.

It last lost at AAMI in Round 7 and has won six of its eight games there since, but after tomorrow’s game it is on the road to Perth and Adelaide.

His side may yet face one of the Phoenix or Reds in an elimination final, but van’t Schip said he is not viewing the last three rounds as a dress rehearsal for what could be the club’s second finals appearance.

“We’re not looking at those things, for us it’s about taking every game as it comes,” van’t Schip said.

“We’re happy with the results at home — and in general we’re growing as a team — but now we have to forget about all we’ve done.

“It’s again an exam on Sunday and I am confident that the boys are going to be up for it and prepared to give everything they have.”

Central defender Connor Chapman returns to the squad tomorrow from his four-week suspension for unsporting conduct towards the referee in the Western Sydney game on March 11.

The former Newcastle Jets youngster had become a staple alongside Patrick Kisnorbo as the club staged its mid-season revival, but Kew Jaliens (centrally) and Paulo Retre (right back) have performed admirably in Chapman’s absence.

As such van’t Schip was yesterday reluctant to guarantee Chapman’s place in the starting line-up.

“We have to see if we’re shuffling him back in because why shuffle him back in if in the last four games we’ve had good results?

“It’s not said that because Connor’s able to play that he’s going to play. We have to analyse good what the team looks like, how the players look like and then we’ll make a decision.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-city-captain-patrick-kisnorbo-re-signs-with-club/story-fnk6pqha-1227299448269

A 1 year extension being triggered would explain why there was reportedly little talk between Kisnorbo and the club, and then the sudden announcement yesterday that Kisnorbo's signed up for next season.

The writer seems a bit confused about the original length of Kisnorbo's contract. He had a 1 year contract in 2013-14, then he signed a 1 year contract for this season (seemingly with an automatic contract extension clause in it).

There is actually nothing about this on the club web-site. The only places it appears are on the SBS web-site and in Windley's article above.

I would have thought that there would have been a formal announcement from City.

Not 100% convinced yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finals Series feature star: Patrick Kisnorbo

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Patrick Kisnorbo was colossal in the Elimination Final against Phoenix and is in the best form of his career.

The 34-year-old will be the rock City builds their foundations on in Friday night’s epic sudden-death Semi Final against Melbourne Victory at Etihad. And he'll have Bes Berisha to contend with. 

We pulled out the big man's key stats to prove why the former Socceroo will be a key figure in City’s quest to make an historic first Hyundai A-League Grand Final.

Games – 28 [one of only three outfield players to have played every minute of every match]

Clearances - 189 [no 1 most clearances in the league]

Tackles - 39

Ball recoveries – 118

Interceptions – 46

Blocks - 23

Duels won - 122

Fouls conceded - 26

Yellow cards - 3

Total passes – 1163

Passing accuracy – 80.4 percent

Goals – 1

Shots - 12

Assists – 1

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/finals-series-feature-star-patrick-kisnorbo/1bwe8t6xjqnzn1x1xiivjky55g

The problem with those stats is that they disguise how poorly he does at setting up an attack in attacking transition. He's very good at winning the ball but that first pass out of defence is often poor. I imagine that a lot of his high pass accuracy comes from passes to the other CB or keeper

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I just can't decide about Kisnorbo. Every time he gets the ball he makes me nervous. Teams seem to allow him space and instead of flicking an easy ball or a switch he goes into the space and then gets closed down and is rushed in making an ineffective pass that puts either Paartalu or a fullback under pressure. But having said that he still doesn't turn it over just makes things look harder than they should. 

He did make 3 or 4 massive tackles/intercepts that kept us in the game, and aerially he is very strong. 

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I'm leaning to drop him for Hughes (if he ever gets fits). 

Just not sure.

I have been unimpressed with Kisnorbo for some time. A good defender but a lousy distributor of the ball. If his pass doesn't put a City player under pressure it's straight to the opposition to start another attack.

Agreed, except he is only lousy when he uses his left foot. Always turns it over with it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Melbourne City captain Patrick Kisnorbo escapes serious Achilles injury

Matt Windley

1 February 2016

MELBOURNE City captain Patrick Kisnorbo has avoided a potentially career-threatening Achilles tendon rupture and is even an outside chance to make the trip to Newcastle on Sunday.

But Melbourne Victory will be without Fahid Ben Khalfallah for Saturday’s blockbuster against Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium after the A-League’s Match Review Panel on Monday night enforced the minimum one-match ban on the winger having been sent off against Perth.

Kisnorbo came off in the fourth minute of Friday’s 4-3 loss to the Wanderers, citing severe pain in his right Achilles.

It’s a pain the 34-year-old knows all too well as it was an Achilles tendon rupture in his left leg while playing for Leeds United in March 2010 that ended his chances of making the Socceroos squad for the World Cup in South Africa.

But scans have cleared Kisnorbo of any significant damage this time around and the central defender was in at the City Football Academy on a day off on Monday receiving treatment in the hope he can still prove his fitness to meet the Jets.

More likely at this stage, however, is that he will be given another six days to prepare for Saturday week’s derby against Victory at AAMI Park.

Kisnorbo’s potential absence this weekend will be offset by the fact that fellow stopper Aaron Hughes is set to return to the line-up after missing the Wanderers game due to general soreness.

City will also be without recent recruit Anthony Caceres after the midfielder’s mandatory one-match suspension for receiving two yellow cards in Friday’s game was also confirmed by the MRP.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-captain-patrick-kisnorbo-escapes-serious-achilles-injury/news-story/79752c23fbb8ae16fafd8c880bdfe9c0

• Like 3