Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

There's a very slim line between brilliance and disaster!

True and can tell your not a big Paddy K fan but at that stage that tackle had to be made, and he had the balls to make it.

Exactly.  1 minute of injury time to go, we are up by 1 and the most deadly striker in the league is thorough on goal.  What we needed was exactly what happened and Paddy K had the guts to forget about the consequences (suspension) if he got it wrong.  You don't win big games by shirking moments like that. 

Paddy K I dips my lid. 

• Like 4

True and can tell your not a big Paddy K fan but at that stage that tackle had to be made, and he had the balls to make it. I do get scared though, Paddy certainly over commits at times and makes some unnecessary challenges at times.

No, I am a fan, he needs to work on his distribution playing out from the back and on when NOT to tackle (especially from behind) but I was very proud of him tonight. He finally offers us a genuine set piece threat, something we've lacked for 4 seasons

Edited by belaguttman

True and can tell your not a big Paddy K fan but at that stage that tackle had to be made, and he had the balls to make it. I do get scared though, Paddy certainly over commits at times and makes some unnecessary challenges at times.

No, I am a fan, he needs to work on his distribution playing out from the back and on when NOT to tackle (especially from behind) but I was very proud of him tonight. He finally offers us a genuine set piece threat, something we've lacked for 4 seasons

I agree with you on distribution and passing etc. Though I do like paddy K alot. He gives his all every week and constantly throws his body on the line.

The biggest thing I like though is he does not shirk responsibility.

• Like 1

the way things currently are he's definitely putting himself in the shop window for a trip to Brazil, needs to keep up the big performances each week.

As much as Ange may want his defenders to be good with the ball I imagine he resigned himself to the fact the need to be good defenders first and foremost, and a threat at set pieces which is our most likely avenue to goal. Kisnorbo fits that bill perfectly, definitely ahead of Neill and probably battling with Og for 1 spot.

True and can tell your not a big Paddy K fan but at that stage that tackle had to be made, and he had the balls to make it.

Exactly.  1 minute of injury time to go, we are up by 1 and the most deadly striker in the league is thorough on goal.  What we needed was exactly what happened and Paddy K had the guts to forget about the consequences (suspension) if he got it wrong.  You don't win big games by shirking moments like that. 

Paddy K I dips my lid. 

Spot on. Berisha's going to beat Redmayne nine times out of ten in that situation. A point does us no good. Unbelievable tackle. He should have busted out Sam Cassell's famous 'gigantic balls' dance afterwards.

After Paddy's Tackle - These from my boyhood came to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3SzSGfxlaw

Haha. This is what I was reminded of.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOQDa5epVk

More like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZygQwB1ew#t=310

Or as Marty posting above reminded me of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOQDa5epVk

Edited by cadete

Kisnorbo hails van 't Schip influence

by Ben McKay AAP

February 24, 2014

Melbourne Heart defender Patrick Kisnorbo has credited the side's A-League-leading form to playing without pressure.

Heart hit rock bottom at the end of the year but under new coach John van `t Schip have completely transformed their fortunes to be an unlikely finals shout.

Four straight wins has drawn Heart level with Perth Glory at the foot of the table and has their fans looking upwards for the first time in months.

Kisnorbo, a veteran of two promotions and a relegation during his time with Leicester and Leeds in English football, said he was enjoying the lack of threat that came without relegation.

"Going into each game with no pressure, things are going our way," he said.

"There's no relegation in Australia so even though we're last there isn't that stress."

"We're playing free."

Van `t Schip's influence has undoubtedly been the underlying factor behind Heart's revitalisation, with Kisnorbo offering his version of the Dutchman's motivational style.

"OK, you've done well, let's enjoy it for a couple of minutes and then let's concentrate on the next game," he said.

Kisnorbo nominated belief and momentum as the two biggest changes amongst the players.

"You look at the ladder, we're still last," he said.

"But we've got momentum now through a couple of good results and there's a belief in the squad we can play against anyone at any time."

Those "couple of good results" actually translates to five wins in their last six games after 19 without a single triumph.

Heart's latest win, a 1-0 triumph over leaders Brisbane Roar on Sunday, came through Orlando Engelaar's 60th minute winner but that strike was at least equalled by Kisnorbo's last minute goalmouth tackle on Besart Berisha.

The veteran defender declined the plaudits that came with keeping his side on top.

"No, no - there's no hero status. It's part of the job," he said.

"As defenders that's what you're there for... to be honest it happened so quick I can't even remember it.

"I just stuck my foot out and hoped for the best and it came off."

Kisnorbo has also ended a long drought of his own in the past month, netting two goals after four years without troubling the scorers.

The likelihood of earning a contract renewal and hearing his name being read out for Ange Postecoglou's World Cup squad shortens with every good performance, but both prospects are not worrying the 32-year-old.

"I can't worry about those things, they're not in my hands," he said.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/21661403/kisnorbo-hails-van-t-schip-influence/

Edited by Murfy1

Made 2 team of the weeks:

The FFA TOTW:

Patrick Kisnorbo (Melbourne Heart)

That tackle! Coming from further back than Steven Bradbury, the former Leeds defender preserved a vital three points for the Heart with a last gasp lunge to poke the ball away from Besart Berisha when he seemed destined to score. Tasked with keeping Berisha and Thomas Broich quiet, Kisnorbo ensured the pair were firmly entrenched in his back pocket. After injury cruelled his 2010 World Cup hopes, Kisnorbo could be putting himself into contention for a spot at Brazil 2014.

And the 442 TOTW:

DC: Patrick Kisnorbo (Melbourne Heart)
The find of the season? Has been absolutely superb for Heart. Who will forget that challenge made late on to stop Berisha slotting in a tap in? Fantastic defender who puts his body on the line.

• Like 1

I would not re-sign this guy for next season. We don't need a Muscunt in our team. And he has no hope of a Socceroos recall.

Have a look how old that post is. Back then I would've said don't re-sign HK, Ramsey and David Williams.

It was an over the top post any way you look at it. There's a difference between saying don't re-sign someone and calling them a Muscunt (which is basically the worst thing you can call someone). 

• Like 2

I would not re-sign this guy for next season. We don't need a Muscunt in our team. And he has no hope of a Socceroos recall.

Have a look how old that post is. Back then I would've said don't re-sign HK, Ramsey and David Williams.

Couldn't care less if any of those three left tbh, but I would a cut if Patty left.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Wielaert backs Kisnorbo for Brazil

16 March 2014

Greg Prichard

Melbourne Heart's vastly-experienced Dutch defender Rob Wielaert says Australia coach Ange Postecoglou should draft Patrick Kisnorbo back into the squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Kisnorbo hasn't played for Australia since before the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, which he was forced to miss with an Achilles tendon injury.

He turns 33 later this month, but Wielaert says age isn't an issue because Kisnorbo was actually improving as a player at this stage of his career.

Asked to nominate an A-League defender who wasn't currently in the Socceroos squad but whom Postecoglou should seriously consider adding for Brazil, Wielaert immediately pointed to his team-mate.

"I know Patrick very well and I think he's not only a very good defender, but that on the ball he gets better every week," Wielaert told The World Game.

"He's somebody I know and see every day, and I like what I see in him as a footballer.

"He's a winner and that's what you need in a World Cup, so if I had to tell the coach of the national team one player, I would pick Patrick Kisnorbo.

"And I think they will look at him. When we weren't playing well as a team early in the season, Patrick also wasn't playing that well, but since the new coach (John van't Schip) has been here he has made a good progression, especially on the ball.

"We knew he was a good defender, but on the ball he's getting better all the time. And he's a real winner."

Central defence is an area of the team that remains open for the Socceroos, with Lucas Neill having faded and Rhys Williams out injured. Postecoglou has been trialling other players there duringthe limited match opportunities the Socceroos have had.

Ninth-placed Heart will play the final match of round 23 against eighth-placed Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park on Sunday.

Both teams are still hoping to make the finals and results so far this weekend have at least been kind to them. They are only one more point away from the top six than they were at the start of the round.

Adelaide United is now in sixth place on 31 points. Wellington, on 27, would pull to within a point of sixth with a win. A win would lift Heart to within four points.

Newcastle Jets remains seventh on 27 points at this stage. There are four rounds left after Sunday's game.

Wielaert said a draw would be no good to either side.

"We're going for a win and I'd think Wellington will also be doing that," he said. "Sometimes, after a game, you have to accept a draw was the best you could do, but we're going for a win."

Heart had staged an incredible revival from a long last in the competition by going on a seven-game run that included six wins and a draw before losing 1-0 to Newcastle last weekend.

"We try to win every game and last week our result was bad," Wielaert said. "And, on top of that, the other results weren't good for us.

"But we'll still try to improve every week and dominate games and eventually win games. If that manages to takes us past the regular season, so be it.

"After the game against Newcastle we looked at the footage and we came up with the positives and the negatives and we tried to get better. That's what we do every week, win or lose.

"We'd almost forgotten how it felt to lose a game. We had chances to win that game, but we weren't good enough. It wasn't our best, but we just keep going and this weekend we have another game.

"It's going to be tough. Wellington will be very motivated, especially after our win over them at their home ground."

That was four rounds back, on 16 February, when Heart whipped Wellington 5-0 at Westpac Stadium.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1184292/Wielaert-backs-Kisnorbo-for-Brazil

Edited by Murfy1