Melbourne Football

Patrick Kisnorbo - most swol manager in the league

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

Good on him for showing some faith and humbleness in not sparking a public spat, where others have done so in the past.

Hopefully he can work his way back in and adjust to the slightly more 'mellow' nature of the HAL.

He's of a good age (32) and can really help create a good culture at this club, IMO.

Meanwhile, benched Melbourne Heart defender Patrick Kisnorbo admits his sending off in last month's derby dust-up against Melbourne Victory has cost him his place in the first team.

But he insists he has no regrets over the tackle which has played havoc with his season.

The former Australia defender maintains the challenge on Victory young gun Connor Pain which brought a straight red from referee Ben Williams was from a repertoire of tackles which at most earned him a yellow in his years in the English Championship with Leicester City and Leeds United.

Kisnorbo was banned for one match after the lunge in a match Heart lost 3-1 as it played 70 minutes a man down.

With the axing of John Aloisi - the coach who brought Kisnorbo back home - coming a week later, Van't Schip has left Kisnorbo in the cold, preferring instead the defensive double act of Rob Wielaert and Patrick Gerhardt.

Kisnorbo's scything lunge was labelled as reckless by some - and he knows it has cost him dearly.

"Obviously being banned for one match was a blow for what I believed was an attempt to get the ball, which I did," he said.

"Yes, I also got the man also but Connor Pain wasn't hurt in any way. There was no intent there whatsoever, it was an honest effort to win possession and cut out a dangerous situation.

"In the Championship, those sorts of tackles would never end up with a red card - they are not dangerous and players make them all the time in various situations.

"The referee, I feel, should have taken into account that it was a derby and that tackles will be flying in with a little more intensity than usual.

"I didn't think it merited a red card, I think a yellow would have been much fairer. But it's done and dusted now.

"I know it didn't do me any favours in terms of maintaining my spot, especially with the new boss coming in with new ideas and a new approach."

Bottom of the pile Heart is desperate not to break the most unwanted record in the A-League for the most matches without a win - it is level with defunct New Zealand Knights on 19.

"I haven't featured since the sending off and while that's disappointing it's the call of the coach and all I can do is train as hard as I can and try and get back in," said Kisnorbo, whose authority on the ground and domination the air were among the few high points of Aloisi's reign.

"You have to stay professional in these situations and support the club as best you can because we are in a difficult position and we desperately need some wins to build some belief.

"Although the red card didn't help, I am still surprised that I am not currently part of things in the first team but that's football - and if I get the call against the Jets I will be ready."

Contracted until the end of the season, Kisnorbo is not looking to make waves or ultimatums, adding: "I have obligations at the club and I will fulfil them. Of course I want to be playing, just like anybody else."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/melbourne-heart/news/1178742/Engelaar-pushing-for-a-Heart-start

Fair call there LR9, sounds like he's sucking it up and trying hard to reclaim his spot. He keeps talking about how in the championship it wouldn't have been red, surely he needs to adjust and realise he can't be going in like that. I'm a fan of paddy tho, would love it see him pop up with a few header goals.

If we're just chucking players from all over the world into our A-League team without inducting them into what sort of league it is and what sort of refereeing they can expect etc. etc. then we're at fault as man-managers.

Go to any worthwhile place of employment you get an induction. MHFC should be no different.

• 2 weeks later...

NEEDS to be kept on next season. Lol @ anyone who thinks Gerhardt should stay on next season just look at the difference in our style of play when he's not there. Can't be fucked doing it now but I'm sure we have an atrocious record when Gerhardt plays compared to when he doesn't.

Why we have two cbs taking up visa spots is beyond me when they aren't much better then then the Aussie defenders we have/could get, must keep kisnorbo for next season IMO

• Like 1

Paddy K can be good BUT he can also be undisciplined - two red cards this season. So what is the point of havig him on the list if he is going to get a red or enough yellows to serve a suspension. When he plays he plays well but can be too undisciplined.

Paddy G Was better last season but li9ke the rest of the team he devolved under the JA regime. Not sure whether to keep him or not. I expected more of Wieleart but he is a little better than Colossimo so not sure what was the point of swapping like for like.

Got a lot of manlove for Paddy K. Been absolutely immense since he came back. Gerhardt was good when he got his opportunity at PK's expense at the start of 2014. And, as far as I know, both are saying all the right things when they find themselves sitting on the bench.

I do think that he needs to improve in 2 areas, he has given away too many penalties and received too many red cards that have cost us dearly so he needs to become less sloppy. He also needs to work on his short passing as he goes for the long ball far too quickly.

He's only had the one of each, hasn't he? And an additional suspension for yellows, but I would have thought that's just part and parcel of having a couple of players in defence with a bit of mongrel in them. I mean, you'd much rather zero of both, but I'll put up with the odd suspension, if it doesn't reduce us to 10 on the field. I stand to be corrected, but one red and one penalty is hardly an epidemic, for someone who plays like Kisnorbo.

I do think that he needs to improve in 2 areas, he has given away too many penalties and received too many red cards that have cost us dearly so he needs to become less sloppy. He also needs to work on his short passing as he goes for the long ball far too quickly.

He's only had the one of each, hasn't he? And an additional suspension for yellows, but I would have thought that's just part and parcel of having a couple of players in defence with a bit of mongrel in them. I mean, you'd much rather zero of both, but I'll put up with the odd suspension, if it doesn't reduce us to 10 on the field. I stand to be corrected, but one red and one penalty is hardly an epidemic, for someone who plays like Kisnorbo.

Each cost us a game although of course there were also other contributing factors to this

Really like the defensive steel that Kisnorbo adds to the team. He seems to (literally) bleed for the team every week. And he's not too old at 32.

However, I'd also like to see Kisnorbo stop making so many heavy challenges and adapt to A-League refereeing a bit more (I'm tired of us going down to 10 men, and it was concerning how unapologetic Kisnorbo was about that Derby tackle). Also, I'd like to Kisnorbo's passing overall improve: his passing range, decisions and accuracy. Here's Kisnorbo last night, pretty good passing accuracy for this game (20 out of 23 completed [87%]), but a lot of short and safe passes:

2wqr9fq.png

And now compare with Wielaert last night, who showed a great passing range and accuracy, with 40 out of 42 completed passes (95%):

2603o8l.png

Wielaert was the middle CB in a back 3 for much of the game, but still he helps us out so much with the ball, and by comparison Kisnorbo's passing is quite lacking. In the past 3 games, Wielaert's passing accuracy has been 40 out of 42 (95%), 30 out of 32 (94%) and 23 out of 23 (100%). Another thing is that Wielaert is an absolute general in our defensive third, directing our passing and being quite vocal. I don't see that much leadership from Kisnorbo, and such leadership is really desirable and almost necessary from defenders over 30 IMO.

Right now our defenders are complementing each other just about perfectly, and with them all in pretty good form our defence is looking pretty impressive. But for next season, I'm really undecided what we should do with regards to re-signing defenders, as I don't think any of our defenders have a solid all around game, and many of them are getting old quickly (next season ages: Kisnorbo 33, Gerhardt 29, Wielaert 36) and two of them take up VISA spots (and IMO at most 1 VISA spot should be used on defenders, as Australia produces pretty good defenders). I could well change my mind a lot before our season ends, but I'm glad I don't have to make the calls about what to do regarding our defence for next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Each cost us a game although of course there were also other contributing factors to this

Well, yeah, things like those usually end up proving costly, though in his defence, it's a big wrap to him to suggest that if he'd been on a park we would have got something out of the Victory game. And both of them were, at the time, a little on the contentious/harsh side. Not defending him for the penalty, but from memory it was one of those 'letter of the law' ones which, if they called it every time it happened, there'd probably be half a dozen penalty shots per game.

Engelaar will get a pass for his red last night, due to the result and I'm certainly not crucifying him for it. But should that really be how it works? Engelaar's dismissal really put us in a very similar hole to Kisnorbo's in the derby and, for whatever reason, the 10 remaining players on the park responded this time and they didn't the last time. But the way I look at it, as probably our nominal 'enforcer' in a team of players who generally don't have the size or the temperament to fill that role (at least until Engelaar returned), one penalty, one red and an additional suspension on cards this season doesn't really strike me as an indicator that he has a significant issue with his discipline.

After recovering from a ruptured Achilles, Heart's Patrick Kisnorbo wants to make up for lost time

Matt Windley

February 8, 2014

PATRICK Kisnorbo couldn't bring himself to watch the 2010 World Cup.

It was too hard.

He tried to watch Australia's opening game against Germany, but the notorious central defensive hardman did not make it past the national anthems before breaking down in tears.

He should have been there and he knew it.

But almost four years on from what was the most agonising period of his career, Kisnorbo, 32, is holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, he might receive a life-changing call from his former South Melbourne and Australian under-20s coach, Ange Postecoglou, in a couple of months time.

A serious Achilles injury prevented Kisnorbo from going to South Africa in 2010.

And, in a cruel twist of fate, an achilles injury to Middlesborough skipper Rhys Williams has opened the door to Australian defenders viewing for a place in Postecoglou's Socceroos squad for Brazil 2014.

Williams' injury, combined with Lucas Neill's inability to find a club, means both central defensive spots in the national team are up for grabs in the coming months.

So, after 11 mostly impressive performances this season for Melbourne Heart, does Kisnorbo think he's in with a chance of going to Brazil to add to his 14 Socceroos caps in Brazil?

"I don't know, to be honest," he said. "I'd love to, because obviously I had the heartache in 2010 when I ruptured my Achilles.

"I know how Rhys Williams feels. People would think, 'Oh, poor guy', but not actually know how he feels. I know how he feels.

"As a kid growing up there are two main things - the Olympics and playing in a World Cup.

That's a dream, but he can't do that this time. Hopefully he can get over it and become bigger and stronger.

"For me, I'd love to play in a World Cup, but at the end of the day it's not up to me, it's up to Ange Postecoglou and whoever he sees fit to play for the country."

Regardless of how things play out, you sense Kisnorbo is a man who, despite being as driven as ever to get the best out of himself on the pitch, is at peace with his lot in life.

He's back in his home town, Melbourne, for the first time in 10 years. He and his wife Jade are on the verge of celebrating their five-year wedding anniversaryand, six months ago, they welcomed their first daughter, Milana, into the world.

Asked for his impressions on Melbourne Heart's training set-up compared to what he was used to in England with Leicester City and Leeds United, he refused to become too precious.

"In England the facilities are second to none, but the finances are also more than what we have here," he said.

"But it just brings you back to reality. When you were younger you played the game and used to go to grounds that were similar to this. We did it back then so I can't see the reason why we can't do it now, even though the game has evolved and got bigger.

"Really, as long as there's a field with some grass on it, some balls, some goals and some players, I don't see the problem."

Kisnorbo happy now, but it wasn't all that long ago that he endured what he described as "a terrible time in my life" that "I don't wish upon anyone".

"It's hard to even talk about because it was such a difficult period," he says.

On March 22, 2010, Leeds was "flying" in League One and on its way to promotion. Kisnorbo was set to be chosen in Pim Verbeek's World Cup squad, having been a constant presence in the Socceroos line-up throughout 2009.

"It couldn't have been a better year and then disaster strikes," Kisnorbo said. "You go from the top to way down the bottom."

Kisnorbo's ruptured his Achilles during a league game against Millwall, ending his season and his dreams of playing in South Africa.

"I didn't even watch the games," he said. "The first game against Germany I watched the Australian national anthem and then I started crying because I felt sorry for myself knowing I could have been there, so I just turned the TV off.

"It's one of those things I don't wish to relive. It was just a bad time in my life."

Things got worse before they got better as he developed an infection around his Achilles injury.

He had to fly to New York for treatment and the setback meant he had to wait until the last game of 2010-11 to actually play his first game for the season.

"People don't realise how good they've got it until they get a major injury because it's hard to get back and play at that level," he said.

"You go through stages where it would be so easy to quit, but you've got to think about if you want that hanging over your head for the rest of your life. If you quit, then you didn't give it everything.

"You realise who your real friends are at that stage. When you're going good everyone wants to know you, but when something like that happens you get quickly forgotten so you realise who you can count on.

"I'm grateful that I had good people around me."

Kisnorbo said he was more appreciative of his profession now than he was before the injury.

Reconstructions of his left knee (2008) and right knee (2012) have also left him in no doubt as to how fickle the game can be.

Fatherhood has further mellowed the boy who grew up in Moonee Ponds and attended St Bernard's College in Essendon - just a few years below AFL stars Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas - although he admitted to still having "a bit of a temper" at times.

He still likes to play on the edge, and makes no apologies for the hard-nosed style for which he became known in England.

"I think the game in England at that stage, in my position, forces you to be like that," he said.

"It's quite a physical league and you're playing against strikers who are big and strong and you have to compete. It's 90 minutes of competing and putting your body on the line. That's what I've grown up with and that's what I'm used to.

"Sometimes you come here and make a challenge and the ref stops you or you get booked, whereas in England they probably wouldn't even blow the whistle.

"That's up to me to adapt and so I probably have toned it down a little bit, but I still like to be competitive, to train hard and play hard."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/after-recovering-from-a-ruptured-achilles-hearts-patrick-kisnorbo-wants-to-make-up-for-lost-time/story-fnk6pqhd-1226821377426

Edited by Murfy1