Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

Got a feeling the club won't give an official injury update, as the team is out of season.

Novillo said a few days ago on Twitter: 

i have a Tear of lower hamstring with bleeding now i have time toi recovery myself for the next season :-)

https://twitter.com/novillo_harry/status/597442585171333120

And Mooy said a few days ago: 

Had a clean up on my knee yesterday and I'm all good 1f4aa.png thanks for the great year @MelbourneCity fans hope you enjoyed it like I did 1f44d.png

https://twitter.com/AaronMooy/status/597899338891689984

No word from David Williams

Got a feeling the club won't give an official injury update, as the team is out of season.

Novillo said a few days ago on Twitter:

i have a Tear of lower hamstring with bleeding now i have time toi recovery myself for the next season :-)

https://twitter.com/novillo_harry/status/597442585171333120

And Mooy said a few days ago:

Had a clean up on my knee yesterday and I'm all good 1f4aa.png thanks for the great year @MelbourneCity fans hope you enjoyed it like I did 1f44d.png

https://twitter.com/AaronMooy/status/597899338891689984

No word from David Williams

Who cares about williams. He is fucking off

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The last report I've seen, made 2 days ago, said that "Aaron Mooy, James Brown, Jacob Melling, David Williams and Ben Garuccio" are still recovering.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-v-manchester-city-jason-hoffman-set-to-leave-as-a-league-clubs-rebuilding-continues/story-fnk6rlg0-1227443198861

The exact injury status of Novillo and Gameiro is unknown. They both might be a small chance to play tomorrow. 

And Michael Zullo has fully recovered from his long term injury, and will seemingly be in tomorrow's starting lineup.

Edited by Murfy1

Yes but not even on the bench

Everything points to an earlier statement that he (Germano) has been asked to stick around for while as a potential injury replacement as being correct. We do not have room in our visa player list for Germano plus the rumoured Fornaroli and Sorensen.

Edited by jw1739

I'd say this is looming as the most important item we have to deal with in the club at the moment - an injury list of Franjic, Garuccio, Mooy, Melling, Williams, Brown, Marino(?), Kuzmanovski and Gameiro.

Well Mooy and Williams got injured in the semi-final against MV and obviously were serious injuries that required surgery, sadly they are still a work in progress. Brown got a foot injury in February that required surgery and according to him the recovery has been slow. Melling had arthroscopic surgery in February but was expected to be out for three weeks - AFAIK no further news have been published to indicate how serious his injury was and whether he can be expected to train this year. Gameiro we know is recovering from an ACL. But Marino, Kuzmanovsky, Franjic and Garuccio are all unknowns.

I wish the club would put out an update on the injury front.

There are still 8 weeks to the start of the season. So some of them may recover by then. Hopefully Mooy will be fit and running.

The problem is that a significant number of first pick starting XI players are unavailable for pre-season. They will more likely to be injured again without a proper pre-season buildup and of course won't learn their role in the team style and tactics.

Maybe, I'm more hopeful that there on the verge of being able to get game time, the annoying thing is that we don't know and I guess that's not going to change.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Injury updates:

Asked for an update on City's missing personal, the Dutchman said: "Robi Koren, Corey Gameiro of course, Jacob Melling, Ben Garuccio, Ivan Franjic. Still a lot of boys unavailable. 
"Injuries from last season, we know, are going to take time. James Brown, David Williams, they're all scheduled for later on to come back.
"Ivan's looking good but it's too early, the game [on Tuesday]. He's going to be in full training when we come back … next week. Same with Marc Marino.
"Robi's also going to be in full training next week. 
"The most important thing for our first league game is to have as many back as possible. It looks like we're almost going to have a full squad when the season starts." 

Read more at http://www.theffacup.com.au/article/city-wary-of-ffa-cup-upset-in-newcastle/1i31psvptv10812rphulnzqo5k#CY80qtSuXfbGRoXP.99

When did Koren get injured? Ffs.

How does our marquee and half our team get injured all the time, even without playing games.

A very good question, surprisingly its exactly the same as last preseason despite a revamp of training facilities and back room staff. i suppose the only explanation that I could accept is that some players are carrying over an injury from last season and still convalescing or that players had required surgery deferred to the off-season. Still, it isn't acceptable as it becomes yet another disrupted pre-season

JVS said Koren "will be in full training next week", so I'd guess he maybe just picked up a knock in the Man City game or training, and this injury is nothing serious.

Yeh either that or they are simply managing him for the season proper. Nothing to see here.

Yeh either that or they are simply managing him for the season proper. Nothing to see here.

IMO the problem is that while for each individual player there may be "nothing to see here", but collectively we seem to always have such a large number of players not able to take the field in a competitive match. If I was the owner of Melbourne City I'd be asking a few more questions as to why this is so.

Edited by jw1739

How does our marquee and half our team get injured all the time, even without playing games.

Nno answer to the marquee question but some of the others are long term injuries from last season: Gameiro is recovering from an ACL he obtained during last season; Brown also got injured second week after coming back from a long term injury and looks like he has not resumed training; Williams got butchered in the semi and not training as yet; Mooy and Novillo got hurt in the semi; Melling got injured last season and although at the beginning it was said that it was a three week lay off, it has become a long term injury. Mauk and Marino also got injured at some stage but I think that was in the NYL.

So we can't really blame the training facilities nor the back room staff as yet. But given that it is pre-season I really would like an official statement on the players health from the club.

• 3 weeks later...

PFA have just come out with their injury report for the 14/15 season. Not surprisingly we were the worst affected by injuries by many measures, even worse than WSW who had the ACL and other commitments.

http://pfa.net.au/wp-content/uploads/a-league-PFA-report-web.pdf

Hopefully our new medical staff will make some improvements in this area and we'll see what our squad can achieve.

PFA have just come out with their injury report for the 14/15 season. Not surprisingly we were the worst affected by injuries by many measures, even worse than WSW who had the ACL and other commitments.

http://pfa.net.au/wp-content/uploads/a-league-PFA-report-web.pdf

Hopefully our new medical staff will make some improvements in this area and we'll see what our squad can achieve.

That is one league ladder we have had the dubious honour of topping nearly every year of our existence

• Like 1

Gamiero as far as I know has been training full time with the team and should get some game time this week or next I'd imagine. Williams I have no idea. 

Spoke to Willo before the game last Wednesday night. From what I remember,  he has only just started to run on the ground this week so from the sounds of things still a while off. 

• jw1739 unpinned this topic