Melbourne Football

Melbourne City College of Football

MUTD/MLBHRT/ESSNDON

Style develops from the types of player. Spaniards are smaller and weaker but pass brilliantly so their game is based of short controlled passing without having to muscle other players. Swedes and English are tall strong on average thus their play is long balls and headers. Brazil are small and skilful at dribbling thus they play well when they are roaming out of position and beating players.

Australians aren't particularly tall, quick, skilful, technical but we do have ridiculous summers and heats, making our players far fitter than what we really should be. Anyone who's played soccer here knows that in melbourne play 30+ degrees is almost unbearable after a half so I feel that Australia should really focus on fitness and a constant press on the other team to force errors out of them, similar to Bayern's style against Barcelona. If we sit back and defend we'll just cop it for 90 minutes as we don't have to quality to keep out strikers so if we constantly push the other team onto the back-foot with superior fitness i feel Australia could go a long way.

I can see what you're saying, but I still think we possess players with dribbling ability and flair.

e.g.

- Kruse

- Oar

- Bresciano

- Rogic

- Kewell (more in his heyday)

The thing Australian players truly lack in my opinion is passing ability, if we could work on that then we'd me a million times better off.

I don't doubt any of their dribbling abilities but if were gonna talk seriously about Australia we have to start comparing to the best if we want to be considered more of the best. And Oar or Kruse don't really come that close talent in South America. Yeah our passing seems to be ridiculous long balls to Cahill 24/7 and it would be handy to keep it on the deck more but the quality isn't their.

I think that style is also cultural. It's between the ears. It's what the society values. In Oz we've grown accustomed to body contact sports and therefore the emphasis is on tackling hard and running. I reckon you can find big blokes in Spain but the passing game and intricate play is well suited to medium size players. Messi is 5'7" in the old money but he can evade and ride tackles while keeping his balance and scoring all in the same movement - just like Maradona did who is 5'5".

And we have a lot of medium sized players. It really just comes down to the culture of the nation. The other day I was talking to a friends girlfriend. She is from Colombia, she plays soccer and is absolutely crazy about it and it struck me as weird that I could talk to her for an hour about soccer and that's when I realised just how far away Australia culturally from Europe, Africa and South America.

But what can you expect when you have a nation divided, QLD and NSW are rugby, slightly footy mad and Vic is all about the AFL. I'm not gonna stand here and bash other codes because people love them and always will, but I just think that without kids only ever growing up with soccer we can never have players like Maradona/Messi ever, it's just not in our culture. Hence we must force a new style of soccer into the world, that of the high high high fitness and physicality which is something that ever single kid in Australia can obtain through the hard fought summer games of AFL or Rugby. Only issue with this is the diving in Europe will hinder it but I think if FIFA start to crack down diving this new style of play could shine and Australia could be considered higher up in the soccer community

Sorry for long posts  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne soccer school aims to train elite players

Wes Hosking Herald Sun October 10, 2013 12:00AM

A SCHOOL soccer college modelled on a world-renowned academy in Europe will be launched in Melbourne today.

The Heart College of Football, to be based at John Fawkner College in the city's north, will deliver an elite training program alongside academic studies.

It is a partnership between the college and A-League football club Melbourne Heart.

"This groundbreaking football and education initiative will engage students who have a passion for sport and learning,'' Education Minister Martin Dixon said.

The college, which will be based in a multi-million dollar sports and learning complex being built in CB Smith Reserve, is modelled on the Johan Cruyff Football Academy at Barcelona FC and Ajax FC.

John Fawkner College principal Gus Napoli said it would provide a range of exciting pathways for students.

The college will deliver the academic program and Melbourne Heart coaching staff the elite soccer component.

"I'm hoping that, over time, the Heart College of Football can attract serious young soccer players from other parts of Victoria, as well as those who just have a passion for sport and learning," he said.

The Education Department and Moreland Council are funding the new centre.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/melbourne-soccer-school-aims-to-train-elite-players/story-fni0fit3-1226735691853

Edited by Murfy1

Heart College of Football Information Night

Tuesday, 15 October 2013 2:05 PM

Melbourne Heart FC last week launched the Heart College of Football at John Fawkner College and will be holding an information evening on Wednesday 16 October.

In conjunction with John Fawker, the Club will develop the Heart College of Football at John Fawkner College, which is an innovative school curriculum program designed to meet the needs of Australian secondary school children who would like to forge a path in professional football and the sports industry.

The program’s holistic focus to personal development and learning uniquely prepares students for life as a professional athlete, tertiary student and member of Australia 21st century workforce.

To find out more about the program, please attend tomorrow night's information session at John Fawkner College.

Event Details

Wednesday 16 October 2013

6.30pm

John Fawkner College Campus

51 Jukes Road, Fawkner

Melbourne Heart FC football department representatives and John Fawkner College staff will be available on the night to answer your questions.

To register your attendance for the information evening please contact John Fawkner College on

9359 1166 or via email on john.fawkner.sc@edumail.vic.gov.au

Click HERE to download or read about the Heart College of Football program.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-College-of-Football-Information-night/77227

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the Heart Twitter account, today is "The first official day of the Heart College of Football at @JohnFawknerSC":

BgPjCExCcAAY8D1.jpg

BgPjp7dCYAA1kwO.jpg

The Heart College of Football is built on a partnership between Melbourne Heart and John Fawkner College. The College blends both a full high school education (years 7 to 12) together with an elite football pathway, based on the Cryuff Football Academy at Barcelona FC and Ajax FC.

The College includes the John Fawkner College Global Learning Centre and Football Facility, a 'newly built, international standard, state of the art, $5 million' facility.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Heart College of Football given the takeover. Whilst I think Man City could even more improve this football academy, I think it's a really smart idea having a focus on education as well, and it might be worthwhile to maintain the partnership with John Fawkner College.

• Like 2

Yes, another good model is the Drapac Cycling Team where all riders are required to do some sort of post-career education/training in conjunction with their riding responsibilities. There's no reason why we can't continue the education requirement to the players in the senior team as well, at least the local ones

According to the Heart Twitter account, today is "The first official day of the Heart College of Football at @JohnFawknerSC":

BgPjCExCcAAY8D1.jpg

BgPjp7dCYAA1kwO.jpg

The Heart College of Football is built on a partnership between Melbourne Heart and John Fawkner College. The College blends both a full high school education (years 7 to 12) together with an elite football pathway, based on the Cryuff Football Academy at Barcelona FC and Ajax FC.

The College includes the John Fawkner College Global Learning Centre and Football Facility, a 'newly built, international standard, state of the art, $5 million' facility.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Heart College of Football given the takeover. Whilst I think Man City could even more improve this football academy, I think it's a really smart idea having a focus on education as well, and it might be worthwhile to maintain the partnership with John Fawkner College.

This has really opened my eyes... very informative!  hmmm where to send my children...

When the details on this (announced as an "academy", pre Manchester City) appeared I was surprised.  I wasn't really expecting something attached to a school, but that did beg the question "just what was I expecting" and I found I had no idea how a European academy integrated education with football.  

Does anyone know if this is in tune with a European academy? 

I assume they could make sure they have the appropriate players by offering scholarships to those who are good enough football wise.

When the details on this (announced as an "academy", pre Manchester City) appeared I was surprised.  I wasn't really expecting something attached to a school, but that did beg the question "just what was I expecting" and I found I had no idea how a European academy integrated education with football.  

I assume they could make sure they have the appropriate players by offering scholarships to those who are good enough football wise.

I don't believe they offer academic courses at all. Certainly not in England. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/get_involved/4207962.stm

If you type "what is a football academy" (without the quotation marks) into Google you will get plenty of hits and browsing a few of these will tell you how they work.

Edited by jw1739

I think you offer a few scholarships to get the best kids to start with. After that these schools tend to attract elite kids to their programs. I can think of multiple kids who have left my current school to go into such schools in an attempt to further their prospects in their sport.

Speaking further from experience coaching in an elite school program (an elite basketball school in the aps competition) they recruit 2-3 kids a season the rest are breed from their own basketball program. Getting these elite kids that they then send onto american colleges is kind of a success breeds success idea and ensures several talented players choose that school over other schools.

Just to let you know City do have education as part of their academy

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/news/club-news/2013/february/st-bedes-school-visit-february-2013

Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano and Director of Football Txiki Begiristain have visited a Manchester school where 40 of the club’s Academy players are students.

The City scholars are full-time pupils at St Bede's College where they also train with City coaches every day.

The unique educational programme, the first of its kind at a Premier League club, allows the boys to improve their football as well as develop their education.

“We try to keep the football and education in balance, “said Des Coffey, Head of Education Provision at the Manchester City Academy.

“We work flexible programmes and try to ensure that individual needs are met. What is essential is that the boys become rounded individuals - that is most important to us.”

Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain were joined by Football Development Executive Patrick Vieira for a tour of the impressive Whalley Range school where they were introduced to both staff and pupils.

They also visited the college chapel where Roberto Mancini spent some time the day before Manchester City played QPR on the final day of last season.

“Education is essential for our young players and it is something we take very seriously as a big part of their overall development,” said Patrick Vieira.

“It was fantastic to visit St Bede’s and to get a feel for the environment they work in. We are very proud of our relationship with the school who are doing an excellent job with our young footballers.”

When the details on this (announced as an "academy", pre Manchester City) appeared I was surprised. I wasn't really expecting something attached to a school, but that did beg the question "just what was I expecting" and I found I had no idea how a European academy integrated education with football.

Yes, a lot do. Here is a link of summeries of different clubs accademies in Europe, as an example, Bayern expect a cirtain pass rate in studies for players to remain.

Here is the pdf link.

http://www.ecaeurope.com/Research/ECA%20Report%20on%20Youth%20Academies/ECA%20Report%20on%20Youth%20Academies.pdf

Just to let you know City do have education as part of their academy

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/news/club-news/2013/february/st-bedes-school-visit-february-2013

Manchester City CEO Ferran Soriano and Director of Football Txiki Begiristain have visited a Manchester school where 40 of the club’s Academy players are students.

The City scholars are full-time pupils at St Bede's College where they also train with City coaches every day.

The unique educational programme, the first of its kind at a Premier League club, allows the boys to improve their football as well as develop their education.

“We try to keep the football and education in balance, “said Des Coffey, Head of Education Provision at the Manchester City Academy.

“We work flexible programmes and try to ensure that individual needs are met. What is essential is that the boys become rounded individuals - that is most important to us.”

Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain were joined by Football Development Executive Patrick Vieira for a tour of the impressive Whalley Range school where they were introduced to both staff and pupils.

They also visited the college chapel where Roberto Mancini spent some time the day before Manchester City played QPR on the final day of last season.

“Education is essential for our young players and it is something we take very seriously as a big part of their overall development,” said Patrick Vieira.

“It was fantastic to visit St Bede’s and to get a feel for the environment they work in. We are very proud of our relationship with the school who are doing an excellent job with our young footballers.”

Ah yes but St.Bede´s is like Hogwarts...

Heart College of Football commences

13 February, 2014

Last September, Melbourne Heart FC, in partnership with John Fawkner College, announced the development of the Heart College of Football at John Fawkner College.

On Wednesday, over 40 students participated in the first official day of the new program, which involves an innovative school curriculum at John Fawkner, designed to meet the needs of Australian secondary school children who would like to forge a path in professional football and the sports industry.

Melbourne Heart FC's Foxtel National Youth League coach Joe Palatsides, alongside the Club's Game Development Officers, Simon Zappia and Louisa Bisby, held clinics with 40 enthusiastic students.

Check out a selection of images from Wednesday's first official day of the Heart College of Football at John Fawkner College in the image gallery above.

The academic component of the program is taught across key learning areas such as English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities, Media, Health and Physical Education and the Arts. It is a program that engages students with a serious interest in sport whilst developing 21st century numeracy, literacy, employability and further education skills crucial to their future work and study life.

The elite component of the program is delivered by qualified Melbourne Heart coaching staff and gives students exclusive access to Melbourne Heart’s pathway to professional football.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-College-of-Football-commences/85895

From the sounds of Manchester City's set-up, the Heart College of Football might pretty much be the model they want. I reckon they might upgrade it a fair bit, though.

Edited by Murfy1

Some videos about the College:

John van't Schip's invitation to the Heart College of Football Clinic

http://youtu.be/REFpaGvgww8

Principal Gus Napoli talks about the Heart College of Football

Heart College of football coordinator Kieran McDowell talks about the program

Melbourne Heart coach, John van't Schip's talks about the Heart College of Football program

http://youtu.be/QFjr3LP-A48

• 1 month later...

Bit more news about the academy:

John Fawkner College opens doors to soccer school, a partnership with A-League club Melbourne Heart

Emma Hastings

March 26, 2014

JOHN Fawkner College will thrust open its gates to show how its new soccer school has kicked off.

Heart College of Football began this year and has 90 students taking part in the new blend of sports and education.

The soccer school is a partnership with A-League football club Melbourne Heart and has students train with Heart coaches to guide potential players to the big leagues and keep sport-motivated children interested in school.

Principal Gus Napoli said the school had also begun a Sport Industry Pathway Program for year 11 and 12 students, which put like-minded students together to play sport and study towards sport-related university courses, like physiotherapy or sports management.

Mr Napoli said the 90 students in the soccer school were settling in well.

“They all talk in glowing terms,” Mr Napoli said. “The fundamental objective is them being engaged and if they are engaged they will learn. That’s really exciting.”

The school will hold an expo with Melbourne Heart on Saturday, March 29.

Grades five and six students can register to attend a soccer clinic with Heart players at 11am and the school will be open to the public from 11am to 3pm. Details here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/john-fawkner-college-opens-doors-to-soccer-school-a-partnership-with-aleague-club-melbourne-heart/story-fnglenug-1226864334957

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 months later...

Looks like this thing is still running:

Heart College of Football at John Fawkner

Monday, 26 May 2014 7:22 AM

[…]

LATEST HEART COLLEGE OF FOOTBALL NEWS

Heart College of Football provides the springboard for John Fawkner College School Sport Victoria success

Monday 26 May 2014

The impact of the Heart College of Football program on John Fawkner College students was evident when the school registered three wins from as many matches in the divisional playoffs of School Sport Victoria’s inter-school football competition in early May.

Comprehensive wins over Australian International Academy of Education (2-0), Collingwood College (8-2) and Ilim Collegee (2-1), now see John Fawkner College progress to the regional finals of the competition.

John Fawkner College students reaping the rewards of the Heart College of Football program

"I am really proud of the effort our boys put in. They were very disciplined and played a good brand of attacking football. I can really see the benefits of the Heart College of Football intensive training in their play," Heart College of Football head coach and Melbourne Heart National Youth League coach, Joe Palatsides said.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-College-of-Football-at-John-Fawkner/75820

• 2 months later...

Interesting that this is marketed as ages 7-12. In the Aussie system, where do you go next once you turn 13?

It says year 7-12 so ages 13-18

Yeah that's my bad. I actually realised that just as I came to read your post - we have the exact same school year system, so I should've known far better. I guess I just wasn't paying attention to what I was reading.

Also interesting that they are inviting people to apply for what appears to be a full-time college course. For something like this, I'd have assumed they'd be more scouting for talent than looking for the talent to find them.

Also interesting that they are inviting people to apply for what appears to be a full-time college course. For something like this, I'd have assumed they'd be more scouting for talent than looking for the talent to find them.

Yeah that aspect of the scheme surprised me.  It seems almost more of a feature to attract students to the college then develop future A League players.  Perhaps they think that over time the course will develop such a reputation it will bring in the players they are seeking?  They might also be offering scholarships out there to some of the talent they are chasing?

• 1 month later...

EDUCATION: Melbourne City College of Football trials

11 September 2014

The Melbourne City College of Football at John Fawkner College will be conducting trials to be part of the program in 2015.

The Melbourne City College of Football will be running its annual football trials on Thursday 25 September where prospective students will have a chance to be assessed by Melbourne City FC coaching staff and learn more about the program. 

Melbourne City College of Football Annual Football Trials is not only an opportunity to find out more about the cutting edge football program at the school but also how the school uses football to better engage students in their academic learning. 

Joe Palatsides — who is Melbourne City FC's Foxtel National Youth League coach and coach at Melbourne City College of Football — says the trials will allow students to see the level of coaching and the standards of the facilities at John Fawkner College.

“The day is all about learning more about the program and getting to meet the teachers and the coaches who deliver the program,” Palatsides said.

John Fawkner College principal Gus Napoli also feels the importance of making learning exciting is a big factor in teaming up with Melbourne City FC.

“The Melbourne City College of Football is at the core of the John Fawkner Sports Industry Pathways program – a program that satisfies curriculum outcomes in Years 10-12 and links to further study at La Trobe University. We are serious about students reaching their academic potential and sport and the football program play a big part in doing that,” Mr Napoli said.

Primary and secondary students, male and female of all football abilities throughout Victoria are invited to attend the trials. 

Trial Details

Melbourne City College of Football at John Fawkner College Annual Football Trials

Date: Thursday 25 September

Time: Arrive 1:45pm for 2pm start

Venue: John Fawkner College, 51 Jukes Road, Fawkner

Register at www.melbournecitycollegeoffootball.com/melbourne-city-college-of-football-trials/

For more information, contact the college on (03) 9359 1166

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/education/moug6z9lpe0l1v10yzept8ltv

Edited by Murfy1

John Fawkner College’s Melbourne City College of Football has different name, but same mission

NATALIE FILMER

SEPTEMBER 13

THE name has changed, but the mission remains the same for the Melbourne City College of Football at John Fawkner College.

More than 90 girls and boys signed up for this year’s inaugural Melbourne Heart program, which was renamed when English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City purchased the A-League club.

College principal Gus Napoli said two students had been invited to trial with the A-League club’s youth team just six months into the training program.

Mr Napoli said “the most important reason” the college had partnered with Melbourne City was to attract “students who are passionate about sport and excited about their learning”.

“We are serious about students reaching their academic potential, and sport and the football program play a big part in doing that,” Mr Napoli said.

The initiative is part of the John Fawkner Sports Industry Pathways program.

Soccer players interested in a place in next year’s program can show their skills to Melbourne City Football Club’s coaching staff at a clinic on September 25.

To register or details go to the Melbourne City College of Football website here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north/john-fawkner-colleges-melbourne-city-college-of-football-has-different-name-but-same-mission/story-fnglenug-1227056655932?nk=3b01995fb7c54c151601e8a42bf67679

Also there's a new website for the college/academy: http://www.melbournecitycollegeoffootball.com/

• 1 month later...