Melbourne Football

Week 17: Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne - 29 Jan - 4:30NZDT / 2:30pm AEDT

Hammerhead

Another tough match coming up this sunday. Away to Wellington is always challenging no matter what team makes the trip, A win will see us reclaim 3rd spot and a loss sees us fall off the lead and into the chasing pack.

If we play like we have the last two matches and with some luck to boot, it should see us bring back 3 points to Melbourne.

Catch the game live on Fox Sports 1 from 2:30pm AEDT.

Discuss :)

Edited by Hammerhead

I heard duganzic behich n hoffman

This. They have been using Hoff a lot and he has done reasonably well so don't see why they would ditch him, even for my boy Babalj. As much as I am anti-hoff, we really havent given him a chance in his best position.

• Like 1

Black Out The Heart

Wednesday, 11 January 2012 1:49 PM

00044288-leadimage.gif

The 2011/12 Hyundai a-League is now well over half way and the charge to the finals is on! The Wellington Phoenix need your support at the next home game against the high flying Melbourne Heart more than ever before.

To darken the spirits of the high flyers we want you to come all dressed in black. Let’s make Westpac Stadium even more daunting than it usually is.

Phoenix fans are renown throughout the A-League as some of the loudest, most creative and passionate in the A-League. So us how creative you can be with black and be into win in some fantastic (black) Sony prizes including tablets, e-readers and signed mini Phoenix balls.

We’re also planning a unique, once-only-ever event at the game. If you are a hard core fan, or just want to be there for something that will never happen again, then you will want to be a part of this. Exactly what ‘it’ is remains a secret and will only be revealed on game day so you will not want to miss this one .....

Buy your tickets, including print at home tickets here

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wellingtonphoenix/news-display/Black-Out-The-Heart/44288

Nothing wrong with the occasional gimmick I guess...

I don't really fear playing the Phoenix in Wellington and I reckon this is a game where we could edge a 1 goal win. Maybe I'm mistaken about how good a team Phoenix are in Wellington. Will make up my mind after this gimmicky game.

so pheonix have won their last two games, some would say good form, but debatable as those teams were gold coast and newcastle.

if we continue playing the way we having been, should bring home the 3 points.

The Gold Coast and Newcastle wins were both 1 nil wins as well, and from what I recall the performances weren't convincing at all. We should be good for at least 1 goal, and you're right if we play to form we definitely should be tipped to get 3 points.

Will be a very tough game, the last few games we have been getting heaps of chances to score more goals but the finishing has been disapointing and that has to change if we are to win in Wellington. I am thinking a 2-1 win for us and Sarkies to have a big game.

Hahaha! What a joke! If I was ever told something like; wear all blue for Drake or PKF by Heart I'd write Scotty Munn quite the scathing letter.

TBH, I hope this does not give Munn and Co. a future marketing idea...

I feel sorry for the decent Wellington fans, if I was one going on Sunday I would wear bright Pink.

Wellington are already above us by a point. This is a must win for us if we are serious about playing finals.

Our last two games have been promising, despite results not really going our way. Tipping a 2-1 to us, but with our young backline under a fair bit of pressure.

How many games will these 3 players miss?

Uzbekistan vs Australia February 5th

UAE vs Australia February 22nd

Australia vs Iraq March 14th

I'm guessing they stay in camp between the Uzbekistan and UAE games.

Tough place to go I reckon. To win there without Fred would be awesome and show us as genuine contenders.

I agree. Wellington aren't easy to beat. They're a mature and experienced outfit, are hard to score against, and with Ifill and Sanchez, they can look good up forward too. If we play like we have in the last two games, we'll probably win. But if we drop off, like we tend to do when it's not a big game, it wont be easy.

Achievable win if we play the way we have in the last 3 games & don't slack off because as said numerous times, the team doesn't think it's all too important. I think with either a win or a lose, it will put some things into perspective for the team which is always nice in regards to how they play and communicate with one another on the field.

Does anyone else feel that with the boys being still a pretty fresh-squad that they lack the communication skills and awareness of each other that some more mature teams do?

Uzbekistan vs Australia February 5th

UAE vs Australia February 22nd

Australia vs Iraq March 14th

I'm guessing they stay in camp between the Uzbekistan and UAE games.

I reckon this is ridiculous. Players will be absent from their clubs for way too long. By my reckoning any Heart players in the Olyroos squad will miss six games - 4th Feb, 11th Feb, 17th Feb, 26th Feb, 2nd Mar and 10th Mar - leaving only two matches of the A-League season to play after they are released from the squad.

I can see no valid reason why the squad should not return home straightaway after the away matches and the players made available to their clubs.

Otherwise the final standings in the A-League could well hinge on which players are selcted from which clubs.

Edited by jw1739

I think the real question that needs to be answered is:

What time Imp?

9am the day before.

Fixed.

fuck why couldn't they take hoffman instead of babalj for olyroos

Ease up, squad hasn't been announced yet.

According to Didulica some concerns on Hamill (knock), Good (soreness) and Germano (hamstring) for Wellington.

We've got until Saturday when we fly, so they should hopefully get up. Always hard coming off three games in six days.