Melbourne Football

2013-14 A-League Ladder Predictions

Red or Dead

Sorry to create another thread, but wasn't sure where to stick this.

I think the ladder will look something like this:

1. NRMAWS Wanderers (Solid squad, good coach)

2. Melbourne Heart     (Best Squad, young coach)

3. Brisbane Roar            (Return of the Mack)

4. Adelaide United          (Barcelona United - Wildcard)

5. Central Coast             (Arnold's Bluechip Battlers)

6. Sydney FC                 (Money spent to pay off with finals appearance)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Melbourne Victards    (Too young, no Rojas/Flores)

8. Perth Glory                 (No Smeltz, No scoring)

9. Newcastle Jets            (Eh!)

10. Wellington Phoenix   (Merrick = Facepalm)

1. NRMAWS Wanderers (Solid squad, good coach)

2. Melbourne Heart (Best Squad, young coach)

3. Central Coast (Arnold's Bluechip Battlers)

4. Brisbane Roar (Influence of Mulvey and current squad)

5. Melbourne Victards (Too young or too old to be massively consistent)

6. Adelaide United (Wildcard)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Wellington Phoenix (Merrick = Facepalm but with success with shite teams)

8. Sydney FC (Money spent Wildcard)

9. Perth Glory (No Smeltz, No scoring)

10. Newcastle Jets (Eh!)

as with every season, some teams over perform others under perform.

that said, i think the top four will be the top four (maybe five depending on the visitors) with a middling three and bottom two.  all quadrants are a little interchangeable

Edited by mattyh001

1. CCM

2. WSW

3. Victory

4. Melbourne

5. Perth

6. Brisbane

7. Sydney

8. Adelaide

9. Newcastle

10. Wellington

some are being very generous to us imo (including me) while we have signed some very good players and what not, we still have a spastic for a coach. i also can't see the top 3 coaches (Popovic, Arnie and Ange) finishing outside the top 3

Edited by yelawolf
  • Like 2

1. WSW (tom juric will be the best signing, the kids a gun..look what they did with a shite dino kresinger)

2. Victory (milligan stays and they have a real balanced 11, always dangerous with archie)

3. Adelaide (this is a tough one because you have to see how they adapt, but If they play the way they are being coached, they could do damage)

4. CCM (will drop alot this year especially in their GK department)

5. Us (still lack something imo.. hope JA doesnt get team selection so wrong every week.. MAte on the right and ramsay on the left and we should be sweet)

6. Sydney (brought in quality, defence is real bad though)

7. Brisbane ( them and sydney fighting it out for 6th)

8. Newcastle (good young players but nothing really else.. will leak goals)

9. Perth (way too young... coach who only cares about his sons)

10. Wellington (shit coach.. shit players)

• Like 1

1. Brisbane Roar (Their offseason signings have been superb, the likes of Mckay, Broich, Brattan and Miller through the middle - best midfield and best striker in Berisha)

2. Western Sydney Wanderers (It's hard to develop an argument as to how they'll slip down the table too far, similar result to last season)

3. Sydney F.C. (I believe Frank Farina really putting his footprint on the team, however their defence could see them down to about 6th on the table)

4. Melbourne Heart (Strong Recruitment, should reflect in the ladder)

5. Adelaide United (Will have a slow start adjusting to Gombau's strategy, but a strong finish will see them play finals)

6. Melbourne Victory (Inconsistent season due to youth, but will still make finals due to a strong season from Thompson leading into the world cup)

7. Central Coast Mariners (If the impending signing of Reddy is true, there is a big gap in him and Ryan and more goals will see them slip out of the finals)

8. Perth Glory (Average season, will struggle away from home which will lead to inconsistency and prove costly)

9. Newcastle Jets (GVE will get the sack during the season, and this will be reflected in their season)

10. Wellington Phoenix (Great attack, but will leak too many goals. Which is why I think they'll seriously struggle away from home)

1. CCM

2. WSW

3. Victory

4. Melbourne

5. Perth

6. Brisbane

7. Sydney

8. Adelaide

9. Newcastle

10. Wellington

some are being very generous to us imo (including me) while we have signed some very good players and what not, we still have a spastic for a coach. i also can't see the top 3 coaches (Popovic, Arnie and Ange) finishing outside the top 3

call me rather optimistic, but there are a couple of things to remember:

1) we were amongst the best in the first half of games last season (certainly the first 22 games) so Aloisi can't be that bad given some of the injuries over the course of the season and the sales mid season.  When you look at the shite we had in the bare squad we had at times (christ even Hoffman got 9 starts and 8 off the bench) its little wonder we struggled to play out games and had little bite in the midfield.

2) the last time we had a quality centre back (and in that certainly no mention of a quality DM like Engelaar) we were top two IIRC (that is for the period relating to the 10 or so games Madaschi played) 

Add Engelaar to that and we certainly have a good chance.  

Edited by mattyh001

1. WSW

2. Victards

3. Melbourne

4. Shitney

5. CCM

6. Brisbane

7. Adelaide

8. Perth

9. Newcastle

10. Wellington

Massive dog fight for that 6th position between Brissy, United and Perth. If we can sign a genuine goal scorer who is guarenteed to net 10+ we should cement top 3. IMO the Victards would just edge us by a point for 2nd spot but we will get our payback later on in finals :) Newy and Wellington to finish bottom 2, nothing really special about their squads (minus 2-3 players).

Every side is a pretty realistic chance of making finals in the a league which highlights how good a comp it is as a spectator. Will make my prediction but really it could be that far off the mark it's not funny!

1. Sydney FC - one of the best lists in the comp who always seem to underachieve. I reckon this might be the year they come good.

2. WSW - Business as usual for the Wanderers. No frills but defence is key to the championship

3. Melbourne Heart - Recruited as well as anyone, the test will be how long it takes the new boys to gel. Need to get off to a good start by taking at least 5 points from the first three fixtures (MV, CCM, BR)

4. Visitors - Milligan probably the key for them and if he goes they could plummet down the table. Lost a fair bit of class in Rojas and Flores so will be interesting to see who they sign. Defence is still ordinary

5. Brisbane Roar - like the way they go about it and will be the best outside of the top 4 sides.

6. Central Coast Mariners - lost a fair bit of class and will be slow starters IMO. Simon and Flores decent pickups, can't believe they signed Reddy what a spud.

--------

7. Perth Glory - some good kids and I really rated them early on last year but perhaps haven't picked up as well as they would have hoped.

8. Wellington Phoenix - just about the best attack in the league but horrible in defence. They would want to hope their U19 captain can do the job as CB

9. Newcastle Jets - Simply don't rate them, Jaaliens a good pickup but lack class IMO

10. Adelaide United - didn't think they were that good last year and their pickups don't impress me too much. 'Total Football' may take a few years to come to any real fruition so I predict a tough year for the reds

1. Sydney- Excellent squad, underachieved the last couple of years and expect them to do well this year.

2. Visitors- Average squad but Ange is a brilliant coach they also have a good spine with Milligan, Archie and Leijer.

3. Central Coast- Another excellent coach in Arnold, expect them to still do well despite the loss of key players.

4. West Sydney- Don't have the element of surprise like last year but will still do well.

5. Melbourne- Think we're getting a bit too excited, we have made some good signing but can't see us finishing higher then around 3rd.

6. Brisbane- Will just sneak in ahead of Adelaide, Mckay will be key.

7. Adelaide- Will start poorly but will make a late push for finals, have to get used to style of football etc.

8. Newcastle- Rubbish side.

9. Perth- Will struggle without Smeltzy (hope he recovers alright) can't see them doing anything this season.

10. Wellington- Merrick and Fat ass, thats all.

1. Central Coast - I don't know how they do it but I reckon they've improved their squad this season, although I do think Pasfield is a liability.

2. Sydney - An already good side with a bit more depth, Carle and Bojic will be massive for them and Rich will do a job for them (the bastard).

3. Brisbane - Don't really rate Mulvey as a manager but the squad's even stronger with the signings of Miller and McKay and Berisha will be as lethal as ever.

4. Melbourne - We've made some excellent signings and have all bases covered now I believe, I'm just a little worried about how JA will cope with the pressure that comes with greater expectations for this season but I think we will do well.

5. Western Sydney - Juric is a strong addition, but I can't see them doing nearly as well as they did last season. Will still provide great value though.

6. Victory - They haven't got the best squad at the moment but that'll all change if they manage to acquire a marquee, and holding onto Milligan will be crucial for them. 

7. Adelaide - Will play some breathtaking football but probably won't get the results (Arsenal FC) With a new manager and a new system it'll take time to gel.

8. Perth - Heavy focus on youth, no Smeltz indefinitely and no really eye-catching signings as of yet.

9. Wellington - Lethal attack with Brockie, Ifill, Cunningham and Fatty Hernandez but their defence looks awfully shaky again. I think they'll be entertaining but will leak lots of goals.

10. Newcastle - Very average looking squad at the moment. Burns and Jaliens are good signings but they just look to lack some quality all over the ground, and I'm sure a lot of Jets fans would agree. I wouldn't be too thrilled with GVE and Middleby if I were them.

1. Adelaide

2. Central Coast (Champions)

3. Sydney

4. Brisbane

5. Western Sydney

6. Victory

7. Perth

8. Hearts

9. Wellington

10. Newcastle

ADELAIDE????????? Surely trolling?

It'll take them a season at least to recover from the massive exodus of players they had last season

And heart 8th? Don't you BELEIVE?? :P

Edited by kingofhearts

If we didn't have a clueless cunt at the helm I'd believe we could make top 3.

Adelaide will do some special things this season, they have the technically gifted players to implement their game plan.

CCM are always impresive and tend to play themselves in to form at the right time. Couple of clever signings make them even stronger.

Sydney FC will hit the ground running then fade after their solid pre-season. Hopefully Garcia fucks their team chemistry.

Brisbane have a very solid squad with a couple of strong acquisitions, should win most at home. Mulvey also given the chance to run his own pre-season.

Western Sydneys Luck will run out eventually, they amount of BS wins and lucky goals they claimed last season was ridiculous. Other than Juric, thier squad is no stronger, while other clubs have strengthened.

6-10 will be close IMO, anything could happen there. Wellington could surprise, as might Perth, but I think Victory will fall over the line to take that last finals berth.

TLDR; Just my opinion.

• Like 2

If we didn't have a clueless cunt at the helm I'd believe we could make top 3.

Adelaide will do some special things this season, they have the technically gifted players to implement their game plan.

CCM are always impresive and tend to play themselves in to form at the right time. Couple of clever signings make them even stronger.

Sydney FC will hit the ground running then fade after their solid pre-season. Hopefully Garcia fucks their team chemistry.

Brisbane have a very solid squad with a couple of strong acquisitions, should win most at home. Mulvey also given the chance to run his own pre-season.

Western Sydneys Luck will run out eventually, they amount of BS wins and lucky goals they claimed last season was ridiculous. Other than Juric, thier squad is no stronger, while other clubs have strengthened.

6-10 will be close IMO, anything could happen there. Wellington could surprise, as might Perth, but I think Victory will fall over the line to take that last finals berth.

TLDR; Just my opinion.

Completely agree about WSW - plus the other teams now have had some time to figure them out better...

A good coach can lead a poorish squad to a higher finish than a good squad with a poor coach.

If we had a coach such as Arnie, Ange or Popovic there's little doubt that we would be challenging for the Premiership. We've done a lot of good things this off-season, had a fair clean-out (but were not as ruthless as we could and should have been) and made some good signings (but not all), but our away form and the way we caved in at the end of the season were so bad that IMO we've got a big mental mountain to climb this coming season.

Two tough games to open with, and IMO 6-8 games in to the season we'll know what our chances are. Can we keep the proverbial clean sheets? Can we stop conceding goals in the last few minutes of a half? Can we stop conceding needless penalties? Can we come back when we're a goal or even two down? Can we put teams to the sword when we're on top?  At the end of the season these are the things that decide where a team finishes. It's not only skill, it's mental toughness, focus and discipline for the full 95-98 minutes of every game.

I'd like to think of top four, but realistically I'm thinking 5th-8th.

• Like 1

A good coach can lead a poorish squad to a higher finish than a good squad with a poor coach.

If we had a coach such as Arnie, Ange or Popovic there's little doubt that we would be challenging for the Premiership. We've done a lot of good things this off-season, had a fair clean-out (but were not as ruthless as we could and should have been) and made some good signings (but not all), but our away form and the way we caved in at the end of the season were so bad that IMO we've got a big mental mountain to climb this coming season.

Two tough games to open with, and IMO 6-8 games in to the season we'll know what our chances are. Can we keep the proverbial clean sheets? Can we stop conceding goals in the last few minutes of a half? Can we stop conceding needless penalties? Can we come back when we're a goal or even two down? Can we put teams to the sword when we're on top?  At the end of the season these are the things that decide where a team finishes. It's not only skill, it's mental toughness, focus and discipline for the full 95-98 minutes of every game.

I'd like to think of top four, but realistically I'm thinking 5th-8th.

This is spot on.

I can't see us outside of the top 6. And I'd say we should finish in the top 3. Call me optimistic, I don't share the doom and gloom of some other posters here. I feel we have really solved the major issues we had. ie Colosimo being shit, Fred being injuried, a ball playing defender, a forward with quality and dominant dm.

The only issue I currently think we need to address is a player up front. Just need a hard working forward that can finish and we are a real show for top two.

I think it's worth noting that Aloisi's refusal to change his game plan is both a pro and a con. If you are the dominant team you force teams to adjust and play around you. Look at Barca (and I'm not saying we are Barca) they walk onto the pitch with the same plan every game. Aloisi's insistance on his approach now that we possess a strong quick list may in fact prove to be his making as a coach.

• Like 1

Jw1739 well said buddy, top four from last year won't change... Will be fighting for 5th and 6th, over the moon if we make 4th. We couldn't beat a depleted Pheonix side round two or three let alone an away game and you think because we've brought some players in they will change the way the coach wants us to play...? We talk about the players we lost and injuries.... What is Ccoast ment to do then? Why didn't they crumble? Because they have a great youth system which grows right into the senior team, which comes from a great tactical coach who has a game plan. The best and only good news which came from Heart this Pre season is the JVS is involved again and that he is involving us with the Johan Cruijff Barcelona system. For ppl that don't no him, he was bigger than Messi is now. This guy was absolute class, he is the reason Barcelonas youth and senior team play the system they do from 22years ago. When they bring it to Heart they are going to scout Aussie year 7 and 8 kids and build an academy from them, so by the time these kids grow in the youth team, then the senior team, if they are good enough they will no nothing more than how to play the proper system. Clubs will recognize us from the Cruijff academy from all over the wold, to come and scout our players. This is the smartest thing Melbourne Heart has done, it will take time but its worth every minute. The difference with the big spending clubs is (ok they can buy the best players and get results) Eg. City, Chelsea, PSG... But the clubs who are always up the top and play great football who have only a few big name players as a team core eg. Arsenal, Spurs, Utd (Welbeck at Utd from under 8's Cleverly the same. Barcelona can put there youth team out againts any starting 11 in the wold, yes they probably won't win, but 100% they will be very competitive that's the difference, won't matter if a young kid is playing because he will no how to play the system... His been playing it from 12years old! Well done Heart this is a fkn huge step! Can't wait for the years ahead....

• Like 3

Jw1739 well said buddy, top four from last year won't change... Will be fighting for 5th and 6th, over the moon if we make 4th. We couldn't beat a depleted Pheonix side round two or three let alone an away game and you think because we've brought some players in they will change the way the coach wants us to play...? We talk about the players we lost and injuries.... What is Ccoast ment to do then? Why didn't they crumble? Because they have a great youth system which grows right into the senior team, which comes from a great tactical coach who has a game plan. The best and only good news which came from Heart this Pre season is the JVS is involved again and that he is involving us with the Johan Cruijff Barcelona system. For ppl that don't no him, he was bigger than Messi is now. This guy was absolute class, he is the reason Barcelonas youth and senior team play the system they do from 22years ago. When they bring it to Heart they are going to scout Aussie year 7 and 8 kids and build an academy from them, so by the time these kids grow in the youth team, then the senior team, if they are good enough they will no nothing more than how to play the proper system. Clubs will recognize us from the Cruijff academy from all over the wold, to come and scout our players. This is the smartest thing Melbourne Heart has done, it will take time but its worth every minute. The difference with the big spending clubs is (ok they can buy the best players and get results) Eg. City, Chelsea, PSG... But the clubs who are always up the top and play great football who have only a few big name players as a team core eg. Arsenal, Spurs, Utd (Welbeck at Utd from under 8's Cleverly the same. Barcelona can put there youth team out againts any starting 11 in the wold, yes they probably won't win, but 100% they will be very competitive that's the difference, won't matter if a young kid is playing because he will no how to play the system... His been playing it from 12years old! Well done Heart this is a fkn huge step! Can't wait for the years ahead....

574.jpg

• Like 1

It's hard to predict the A-League.  Central Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, WSW have finished top 2 in years they were predicted to be middle of the road, and then Kewell, Fowler, Del Piero, Heskey have never played finals when predicted to compete.

It's a bit chicken/egg but what you find with the top teams are they have the best managers, more than the best players.   Perhaps not the best barometer for us, but who knows, maybe there is a good reason why Aloisi was appointed and needed a season and a bit like JVS to get things going.

agree 100% spot on!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

It's like you read my mind

Clearly you must have some involvement essendon cause you must be on something, via the way how bout a thread for the Major League Baseball, it's clear we've got a big fan.

Edited by Fentonthescreamingcactus