Melbourne Football

13/14 Expectations - Get Excited

Caddy

Wellington don't look that fancy either. Wanderers looking average thoigh

They've come back from a goal down against the Premiers, and only went down by a single goal against the form team of the moment.

Before we all get carried away by two draws let's wait and see where we are after the next two matches, both away.

• Like 2

Newcastle are absolute dog shit. Van Egmond has managed to take Goodwin backwards as a player. Going out on a limb in saying they're looking good for the spoon.

Have to totally agree. GVE has got them playing the most boring football. Last weeks game Jets V Perth was the worst game I have ever watched. Brown is a shadow of himself under GVE than when they got him from the Gold Coast. He was on fire up there. I fear Goody is going backwards under GVE. He should be given a licence to run like he did with us and last year. Fuck we will have him back if they fuck him around.

- No Engelaar

- No Kisnorbo

- No Kewell

- Uninspired, lazy players

- A giant hole in defense named Jason

- A coach who clearly doesn't have it

- A piss weak board who won't fix anything

I've never been so unoptimistic about anything.

Edited by Jimmy

Walker: Anything but A-League title not good enough

By Donald Sutherland October 10, 2013

Melbourne Heart defender Jeremy Walker believes his side can go all the way to the final day in 2013/14, saying anything short of a Grand Final victory wouldn’t be good enough.

Speaking exclusively to MFootball at Heart’s launch of the the Heart College of Football, Walker said that the Grand Final goal has been something reiterated by the entire squad and coaching staff.

“[We want to] strive for the best, I guess,” the 20-year-old said.

“We want to be at the end of the season right up until the end and winning the Grand Final at the end of the season, so anything short of that isn’t good enough really, and that’s come from the head coach.

“That’s come from everyone – the players as well. From a season last year where we were all disappointed, [this] has definitely pushed us along even more.

“We’re striving to do the best we can; we’re looking to be there at the end of the season.”

Heart’s title ambitions start on Saturday against cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory, which the former Oakleigh Cannons man says he understands to be massive for all Red & White supporters.

“We see people at the family day, and that come to training and stuff, you can see it in their eyes that they’re just the same as we are – we’re ready to go for the season and they’re looking forward to it just as much as we are.

“It’s great to see they’re as passionate about it as we are as well.”

After the previous season, where he was promoted from Heart’s National Youth League side to make 13 appearance during the rest of the campaign, Walker says he’s genuinely excited about participating in his first Round One clash.

“It’s my first pre-season and build up to a first game of the season – everyone’s excited and we’ve had some good training sessions leading up to this weekend.

“The preparation altogether throughout pre-season has been fantastic and we’re just ready and pumped to kick off the season.”

http://www.mfootball.com.au/walker-anything-but-a-league-title-not-good-enough/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=walker-anything-but-a-league-title-not-good-enough

Big LOL at this

• 1 month later...

I am seriously thinking of laying some money on Mifsud winning the Golden Boot myself FWIW.

An improvement on last year has already happened with the new signings, but I think top 4 and (of course) beating the Victory is a realistic aim

I want to see total commitment to the shirt for 95 minutes every single game. And I never want to see "making finals" to be considered a worthy objective ever again. Always our objective is to be Premiers.

IMO we've had three really mediocre seasons, and we fans have been loyal throughout that time when it would have been easier to walk away and forget the whole bloody thing. Now it is time to give us something to believe in.

a spot in the ACL would be nice

Currently, I expect Heart to make the top 6 without difficulty. And if we sign up some more firepower I expect us to at least make the top 4.

I reckon crowds will be up.

Because we replaced the old spine of the team, Colosimo, Thompson and Fred, with Wielaert, Engelaar and Kewell, I expect us to play a much better brand of football.

I think we'll correct our away record soon enough.

All up, I reckon this is about the best Heart has looked going into a new season.

- Finish Top 4

- Win home final

- Win at least 3 away games

- Average attendance of 10,000

- Win at least 2 of the 3 Melbourne derbies

- Kewell to score 10+

- Mebrahtu/Williams/Dugandzic all to score 5+

- Positive goal difference

- Engelaar to rape the A-League and step on Archie (by accident of course)

MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE! :up:

Just picking out a few. We've truly fucked this season.

I'll be excited when:

we win outside Victoria

we win despite conceding the first goal

we win second halves of games, especially away from home

we look fit

we have a clearly defined system of play and the tactical flexibility to implement it despite the opponent

we stop regularly conceding goals in the last 5 minutes of games

we can deliver HAL quality corners and free kicks

we have a midfield that can keep possession of the ball

Am I to assume you're still not excited bela?

I'll be excited when:

we win outside Victoria

we look fit

we have a clearly defined system of play and the tactical flexibility to implement it despite the opponent

Strangely, I'm still waiting to become excited...

Apart from looking fitter this season we haven't even come close to ticking off any other item on that list

A win despite conceding a goal first was very close on the weekend, in fact it was two goals down! And I don't think we have had many if any goals conceded in the last five minutes, we now concede 2 or 3 goals much earlier in the game which is an improvement.

Edited by n i k o

I'll be excited when:

we win outside Victoria

we look fit

Strangely, I'm still waiting to become excited...

Apart from looking fitter this season we haven't even come close to ticking off any other item on that list

we did win a second half of a game on the weekend.

A win despite conceding a goal first was very close on the weekend, in fact it was two goals down! And I don't think we have had many if any goals conceded in the last five minutes, we now concede 2 or 3 goals much earlier in the game which is an improvement.

so if we all remain patient and believe, soon enough we will only be conceding goals in the warmup and after that on the drive to the stadium.

• Like 1

Im with you defib. Although the I am happy with the way we are looking I am not as confident as others. Just because you have the ingredients it does not mean you can cook.

Hopefully it all comes together but this club seems to have an incredible way of making some pretty basic things look needlessly complicated.

I know this club all too well lol

Watching some of the Glory v Nux game last night makes me wonder where our next win will come from. You can see Merrick changing the style of play for Welli and they can score goals but a bit leaky. Glory had a bit of a youth team but also putting out a well shaped side that can be dangerous.

Lets take a look after nearly 4 months. 

- Finish Top 4 Not gonna happen

- Win home final Not gonna happen

- Win at least 3 away games 0/3 thus far

- Average attendance of 10,000 Won't happen

- Win at least 2 of the 3 Melbourne derbies Probably won't happen

- Kewell to score 10+ Currently on 0

- Mebrahtu/Williams/Dugandzic all to score 5+ Might happen

- Positive goal difference Probably not

- Engelaar to rape the A-League and step on Archie (by accident of course)  Out for the season

MELBOURNE IS RED AND WHITE!  :up:

• Like 1