Melbourne Football

13/14 Expectations - Get Excited

Caddy

Can't see us finishing in front of victory, wsw, or Sydney, I expect us to battle it out for the last finals spot, I expect an improvement on last season but think that with the age of the first 11 and the question marks over players will hurt us, eg.:

Hope I'm proven wrong, hope we haven't made the same mistake as last season and recruited too many older players or players who simply aren't good enough to put forward a realistic challenge.

I can't believe that Heart is paying the worst along with Wellington to make the finals! We're paying $2.00! The bookies must think Aloisi is really shit because with the team that we have put together this season we should definitely NOT be finishing outside the top 6!! Might put $20 on this.

We're also paying $19 to win the Championship and $23 to finish the season on top! They're worth a good $5 bet each!!  ;)

Can't see us finishing in front of victory, wsw, or Sydney, I expect us to battle it out for the last finals spot, I expect an improvement on last season but think that with the age of the first 11 and the question marks over players will hurt us, eg.:

Hope I'm proven wrong, hope we haven't made the same mistake as last season and recruited too many older players or players who simply aren't good enough to put forward a realistic challenge.

I can't believe that Heart is paying the worst along with Wellington to make the finals! We're paying $2.00! The bookies must think Aloisi is really shit because with the team that we have put together this season we should definitely NOT be finishing outside the top 6!! Might put $20 on this.

We're also paying $19 to win the Championship and $23 to finish the season on top! They're worth a good $5 bet each!!  ;)

I don't think the bookies pay all that much attention to the football during the off-season, I remember it took a whole week for our odds to shorten after we signed Harry.

Their loss really  :rolleyes:

Can't see us finishing in front of victory, wsw, or Sydney, I expect us to battle it out for the last finals spot, I expect an improvement on last season but think that with the age of the first 11 and the question marks over players will hurt us, eg.:- Gerhardt, unproven in defensive mid, and has limited range of passing- kisnorbo, age and injury history- wierlart, age and will he adapt to the league/country- kewell, age, hasn't played in over a year and IMO didnt light up the league last time he was here- mifsud, coming from the Maltese league to here, he might be maltas greatest ever play etc. but let's be realistic Malta/Maltese league is shit- squad players like dmac, hoff, gol gol and germano, are they good enough for a team that wants to challenge for the finals? I don't think they areHope I'm proven wrong, hope we haven't made the same mistake as last season and recruited too many older players or players who simply aren't good enough to put forward a realistic challenge.

I'd like to know what you actually know about the Maltese league. I'm guessing you know very little.

Almost 40 international goals. Pretty strong selling point for mine.

On the Maltese league, obviously it's a terrible league, when do Maltese clubs ever qualify or do reasonable well in European competitions? It's a country of 400k people, to be regarded as the best in Malta means fuck all. His former clubs aren't anything to get excited about, hopefully he bangs in goals this season but I'm not pinning my hopes on him being one of the better strikers in the league.

He could have 200 international goals, I don't care, if international goal scoring ratios mattered, he would have played for better clubs than Coventry and lillestrom.

Can't see us finishing in front of victory, wsw, or Sydney, I expect us to battle it out for the last finals spot, I expect an improvement on last season but think that with the age of the first 11 and the question marks over players will hurt us, eg.:- Gerhardt, unproven in defensive mid, and has limited range of passing- kisnorbo, age and injury history- wierlart, age and will he adapt to the league/country- kewell, age, hasn't played in over a year and IMO didnt light up the league last time he was here- mifsud, coming from the Maltese league to here, he might be maltas greatest ever play etc. but let's be realistic Malta/Maltese league is shit- squad players like dmac, hoff, gol gol and germano, are they good enough for a team that wants to challenge for the finals? I don't think they areHope I'm proven wrong, hope we haven't made the same mistake as last season and recruited too many older players or players who simply aren't good enough to put forward a realistic challenge.

I'd like to know what you actually know about the Maltese league. I'm guessing you know very little.

On the Maltese league, obviously it's a terrible league, when do Maltese clubs ever qualify or do reasonable well in European competitions? It's a country of 400k people, to be regarded as the best in Malta means fuck all. His former clubs aren't anything to get excited about, hopefully he bangs in goals this season but I'm not pinning my hopes on him being one of the better strikers in the league.

He could have 200 international goals, I don't care, if international goal scoring ratios mattered, he would have played for better clubs than Coventry and lillestrom.

Brb, getting popcorn ready.

- Gerhardt, unproven in defensive mid, and has limited range of passing

- kisnorbo, age and injury history

- wierlart, age and will he adapt to the league/country

- kewell, age, hasn't played in over a year and IMO didnt light up the league last time he was here

- mifsud, coming from the Maltese league to here, he might be maltas greatest ever play etc. but let's be realistic Malta/Maltese league is shit

- squad players like dmac, hoff, gol gol and germano, are they good enough for a team that wants to challenge for the finals? I don't think they are

sydney? really? their defence is still extremely shit, won't even make finals imo

• Like 2

The toughest teams these season will be Brisbane, WSW, Victory and CCM. I even think Adelaide will surprise people in terms of how good they'll be.

Yes, we've probably got the best squad on paper that we've ever had as a club going into this season, but it doesn't mean we're automatically going to have a successful season because other teams have also recruited exceptionally well.

As a minimum, we MUST do better than Newcastle, Sydney, Perth, Wellington and Adelaide. We've definitely got a chance of doing better than the other 4 teams, because any team can beat another on any given day in this league, and we've got the quality for it. But i think if we want to break into that top 4, we're going to have to hope that we stay injury-free for large parts of the season, and hope that we find some sort of consistency in our form.

• Like 1

Brb, getting popcorn ready.

I've thrown the Pastizzi in the oven

From the pretty long discussion i had with JA on Mifsud, he thinks otherwise.

He's expecting big things from him this season

I think you should actually look at the amount of money Championship Clubs have paid for transfers in the past ten years and you will realise that the numbers are larger than most of Mainland European clubs bar the obvious 20 - 30 exceptions.

Edited by cadete

Big teams expect big results. Wanting to make finals and end up scraping in barely is mediocre. Expectations haven't changed from season 1. Finish top, win the league. The club and any of its supporters expecting anything less is pathetic and seriously questions their ambitions. We want the title! Bring it JA!

The toughest teams these season will be Brisbane, WSW, Victory and CCM. I even think Adelaide will surprise people in terms of how good they'll be.

Yes, we've probably got the best squad on paper that we've ever had as a club going into this season, but it doesn't mean we're automatically going to have a successful season because other teams have also recruited exceptionally well.

As a minimum, we MUST do better than Newcastle, Sydney, Perth, Wellington and Adelaide. We've definitely got a chance of doing better than the other 4 teams, because any team can beat another on any given day in this league, and we've got the quality for it. But i think if we want to break into that top 4, we're going to have to hope that we stay injury-free for large parts of the season, and hope that we find some sort of consistency in our form.

Interesting that you name the the "toughest teams" to be those I would rate as the clubs with the best coaches in the league.

I agree that our squad looks quite good on paper, but so much depends on the coach, and ours is a novice.

Most of us can agree on 8-9 of our preferred starting XI. IMO the problem comes when we look at the bench, and who would have to step up to the match-day squad in the case of an injury or two. IMO we have too many players outside the starting XI who are either not reliable in terms of match fitness or who do not perform to their potential often enough.

This league is a bit of a lottery. I think we'll do well to finish mid-table.

Interesting that you name the the "toughest teams" to be those I would rate as the clubs with the best coaches in the league.

I agree that our squad looks quite good on paper, but so much depends on the coach, and ours is a novice.

Most of us can agree on 8-9 of our preferred starting XI. IMO the problem comes when we look at the bench, and who would have to step up to the match-day squad in the case of an injury or two. IMO we have too many players outside the starting XI who are either not reliable in terms of match fitness or who do not perform to their potential often enough.

This league is a bit of a lottery. I think we'll do well to finish mid-table.

totally agree.  massive amounts come down to peaking at the right time and staying somewhat injury free.  

personally i think there are a few teams to bottom out a bit this season (Newcastle and Sydney) with a most teams a bit of an unknown.  

CCM have lost shite loads of players (something that in the past they have managed well but something that is hard to do every season)

Brisbane and Perth are still to be tested under their coaches (by all means they did well at the end of last season but something that comes from new coaches motivating players through a fear of being cut in the off season)

Adelaide and Wellington have a new coach so it may take a while to swing the culture and playing style.

the Visitors have been improving and have held a few key players with a few new ones to raise the bar.

WSW had a great first season but now everyone knows what to look for so they are more prepared.

as such jw1739 you're quite right it is a complete lottery

Personally I can't see Newcastle, Wellington or Perth making the finals but from there up, I also agree with the notion that the league is a lottery. 

The salary cap is definitely a good thing in that sense, there's no fun in seeing the same teams compete for the title every season... *cough* La Liga *cough*

Personally I can't see Newcastle, Wellington or Perth making the finals but from there up, I also agree with the notion that the league is a lottery. 

The salary cap is definitely a good thing in that sense, there's no fun in seeing the same teams compete for the title every season... *cough* La Liga *cough*

*cough* every other league in Europe *cough*

*cough* every other league in Europe *cough*

I know, I know... but at least some clubs have caused upsets in the past few years (e.g. Manchester City, Wolfsburg, Napoli finishing 2nd, Montpellier and Lille etc.)

It's been Real vs Barca for waaaay too long now but that's beside the point, I'm just saying it's great that we don't have that here  :)

I think you should actually look at the amount of money Championship Clubs have paid for transfers in the past ten years and you will realise that the numbers are larger than most of Mainland European clubs bar the obvious 20 - 30 exceptions.

Cool fact, what's it got to do with my post?

everyone is entitled to there opinion mate im not that flash on what he have recruited either looks good on paper but could go horribly wrong.

I agree that everyone is entitled to an opnion and yes, with an older list i am worried about the possibility that injuries could derail our season but to say that misfud is a shit signing and that the championship league is a shit league is just uneducated opinion. I don't claim to be the biggest follower of the championship league but the games i have seen the quality is quite good, far better than the a-league. Misfud has played in Norway as well as a stint in Germany, so he's played at some pretty high levels. samarzidja's only argument than seems to be that he is too old, and yet the leading goalscorer in the a-league last season was in has late thirties. I just don't understand how anyone could possibly see this as a bad signing?

You've missed the point completely, never said mifsud was a shit signing, said that his former clubs/leagues are nothing to get excited about. And pointing to his international record means nothing to me because if it mattered he wouldn't have been playing in the championship or Norwegian league in his prime.

Not being negative, just realistic about our chances.

You've missed the point completely, never said mifsud was a shit signing, said that his former clubs/leagues are nothing to get excited about. And pointing to his international record means nothing to me because if it mattered he wouldn't have been playing in the championship or Norwegian league in his prime.

Not being negative, just realistic about our chances.

That's not bring realistic because there is no 'real' evidence or proof to back up what you're saying, it's just your opinion! Saying we'll be battling it out for the last finals spot is being negative (in my realistic opinion).

Anyway, we will be playing a home final this season so you're wrong either way  :P

Not sure if its an expectation but one thing I want from Heart this year is to be able to change the course of a match.

All good sides in any sport have the ability to change the course of a match when things aren't going well. So often managing a result from the game.

All last season from Melbourne what we saw is that when we were being outplayed in a match there was no Plan B. Sure a lot of this stops with the Manager but players have to take a certain responsibility too.

Simply there were far to many matches last season when after 30 minutes the result was clear.

Not sure if its an expectation but one thing I want from Heart this year is to be able to change the course of a match.

All good sides in any sport have the ability to change the course of a match when things aren't going well. So often managing a result from the game.

All last season from Melbourne what we saw is that when we were being outplayed in a match there was no Plan B. Sure a lot of this stops with the Manager but players have to take a certain responsibility too.

Simply there were far to many matches last season when after 30 minutes the result was clear.

I'm looking forward to continuing good from at home AND bringing some points from our away games.

Finishing games strongly would be nice, not letting opposition run us down in the second half.

Most importantly if we try to park the bus after leaving 1:0 trying to hold onto a pathetic little lead like that, I will me mega pissed off

In fairness, there were a number of times we were looking good only to shit ourselves and concede late goals, thereby changing the course of a comfortable win into a draw or soul destroying loss.