Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

CONFIRMED ON THE HEART WEBSITE :D

Melbourne Heart FC confirms it has agreed terms with 14-time Dutch International Orlando Engelaar to play for the club in the 2013/14 Hyundai A-League season.

Engelaar will fill Melbourne Heart’s marquee position.

A dominant presence in the centre of midfield, Engelaar, 33, brings a wonderful background to the Heart, having started every match for the Netherlands at the 2008 European Championship and having successful stints at FC Twente, FC Schalke 04 and, most recently, PSV Eindhoven.

At almost two metres, Engelaar combines a dominant athletic presence with the highest levels of technique and quality, making him the ideal midfield general.

Melbourne Heart Head Coach John Aloisi is obviously delighted to bring in a player of such international pedigree and overall football quality.

“I am confident that Orlando will be one of the most accomplished midfielders that has come to play football in Australia,” said Aloisi.

“The Club has worked hard for a number of seasons to attract a player who can dominate and control matches from midfield and we believe that we have found that player.”

“You don’t pull the strings in the midfield for the Dutch national team unless you have some special qualities. We can’t wait for the season to get started and, with this signing, we believe that we have given football fans something to get really excited about.”

Engelaar recently spent a week in Melbourne meeting the Club’s coaches, players and staff before returning to the Netherlands to make a final decision.

“The Club was able to show Orlando around the city and arrange for him to spend some time at training, so he knows the technical level and knows what we as coaches will expect of him”, said Aloisi.

“Meeting Orlando, and hearing his views on football and his motivations for coming to Australia, makes me very excited about the impact he will have on our Club and the Hyundai A-League.”

Engelaar will arrive back in Melbourne late next week when he will immediately commence training upon joining his new team-mates.

Player Details
Name: Orlando Engelaar [Eng-e-laa]
Height: 1.96m
Position: Central Midfield
Former Clubs: NAC Breda (94 appearances, 22 goals), Racing Genk (59, 12), FC Twente (56, 8), FC Schalke 04 (36, 0), PSV (75, 6)
Dutch National Team: 14 caps (debut in 2007 and final match in 2010).
Recent Transfers: €5million in 2008 from FC Twente to Schalke 04; €4million from Schalke 04 to PSV 2009

I'd be surprised if he was named as marquee. With the amount of cap space we have surely we could fit him in.

Good point Jimmy, transfermarkt has him at EUR500,000. I'm sure we have that much room in our Salary Cap with Garcia gone!

We could probably afford Billy K under the cap too and Brent McGrath as the Aussie Marquee, maybe? There is so much wrong in this post it's not even funny...

Leave me alone, I'm new! 

Dear Sharpy, Sharpedo, The Sharp One.

I, Marn11, sincerely apologize for ever doubting your inside knowledge of our transfer happenings. How could one not trust a man who runs the greatest thread ever seen to man on any forum, anywhere.

I hope you can find a way to forgive me for this travesty.

Regards

Marn11

I am going to add my name to this too

We might actually be able to score off the occasionally corner now...

That was already going to be the case with a fit Gol Gol taking them but now we are twice as deadly. :up:

Aziz wins the corners, Gol takes them and Magic knocks 'em in.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

Melbourne Heart snares Orlando Engelaar

August 9 2013

Dominic Bossi

In another boost for the profile of the A-League, Melbourne Heart have pulled off the most significant recruit of their short history by signing former Dutch international Orlando Engelaar as their foreign marquee player for the upcoming season.

Engelaar, 33, agreed to a one-year deal with the club on Friday to become their second glamour transfer this season following the arrival of Socceroos legend Harry Kewell.

Standing at 1.96 metres, holding 14 caps for the Dutch national squad and boasting a CV of the likes of PSV Eindhoven, Schalke and FC Twente, Engelaar will be one of the biggest names to play in the A–League. Only last week, he was pursued by English Premier League club West Ham United but will instead be playing in Australia as what Melbourne Heart director of football John Didulica says is one of the greatest additions to the competition.

"For us it's a significant signing. He's been capped 14 times for the Dutch national team and the period he got capped from, 2007 to 2010, they only once dropped out of the top five in the world in terms of rankings. So to break into that team underlines the quality that he has. He played alongside the likes of [Robin] Van Persie, [Wesley] Sneijder, [Rafael] Van der Vaart, [Nigel] de Jong, the very best footballers in the world and he's standing shoulder to shoulder. As a footballer, there are few better players that we can bring to the A–League," Didulica said.

Melbourne Heart were in negotiations with Engelaar over the past few weeks but Didulica was keeping tabs of the player for a number seasons when speculation first surfaced that he was looking for options away from PSV. When a proposed move to West Ham broke down last week, discussions accelerated with Engelaar and within days the Dutchman arrived in Melbourne to meet the club and coach John Aloisi.

"He is exactly what we wanted, his 33 so he's still got a couple of years left to play so for us it's very exciting, we've put a lot of work into it and we're glad it pulled off," Didulica said. "I think that speaks to the quality of his background as a footballer that Premier League clubs see him as an asset to their organisation and that we are able to bring him to Australia speaks for the trajectory that the A–League is on."

Engelaar was the starting defensive midfielder for the Netherlands at the 2008 European Championship and rose to prominence with an impressive performance in their 3-0 rout of then world champions Italy as well as convincing wins over France and Romania. He was selected for the extended squad for the 2010 World Cup but missed out on a ticket to South Africa.

"He was fantastic, you won't have that immediate name recognition to a lot of people but anyone who's tracked European football - in particular the Euros in 2008 - they will see the player that he is. He absolutely ripped apart the Italians and the French in that tournament," Didulica said.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/melbourne-heart-snares-orlando-engelaar-20130809-2rm16.html

Edited by Murfy1

Dear Sharpy, Sharpedo, The Sharp One.

I, Marn11, sincerely apologize for ever doubting your inside knowledge of our transfer happenings. How could one not trust a man who runs the greatest thread ever seen to man on any forum, anywhere.

I hope you can find a way to forgive me for this travesty.

Regards

Marn11

I'll forgive you, heard from my mate today that we're in discussions with an Ivory Coast U21 striker...