Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

Heart 'sign Eredivisie veteran as marquee'

By Kathy Stone

Aug 9 2013 00:46

FORMER PSV central midfielder Orlando Engelaar is understood to have signed a marquee deal with Melbourne Heart.

The towering Dutchman and former international was released by the Eredivise powerhouse after making 10 appearances for the club last season.

Engelaar, 33, trialed with English Premier League side West Ham last month and played in a 2-0 preseason win against Bournemouth.

At 1.98 metres the left-footer is an imposing presence in the box and known for his heading ability. He had been training with his former club NAC Breda ahead of the new season.

Engelaar spent his youth career at Feyenoord and has also played for FC Twente. He was capped 14 times for the Netherlands and made his last appearance for the national team in 2010.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/278904,heart-sign-eredivise-veteran-as-marquee.aspx

Edited by Murfy1

Now with this 442 article we officially have a media outlet saying that Heart have signed Engelaar. A fair few people will be wrong if this doesn't eventuate.

Look forward to seeing an announcement soon. It would be big to have Engelaar in Red and White.

This is precisely the type of player we desperately needed for this season. A tough nut who has a good passing range but can pop up and score too. If he can stay fit then he'll absolutely boss. Well done MHFC

He was training with his old club NEC breda whilst waiting for offers too. Something you should expect from a professional footballer. Unlike some dick (in name and nature) lounging around in Perth  ;)

• Like 3

I can hear a bit of Abba from the terrace:

"Can you kick a goal Orlando..............?" or

"Can you hear the screams Orlando?

As you break a leg and give them pain!

With Yarraside calling from afar."

He walks out on the pitch to fight

He'll star alright

Orlando!

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if he was named as marquee. With the amount of cap space we have surely we could fit him in.

Good point Jimmy, transfermarkt has him at EUR500,000. I'm sure we have that much room in our Salary Cap with Garcia gone!

We could probably afford Billy K under the cap too and Brent McGrath as the Aussie Marquee, maybe?

I'd be surprised if he was named as marquee. With the amount of cap space we have surely we could fit him in.

Good point Jimmy, transfermarkt has him at EUR500,000. I'm sure we have that much room in our Salary Cap with Garcia gone!

We could probably afford Billy K under the cap too and Brent McGrath as the Aussie Marquee, maybe?There is so much wrong in this post it's not even funny...

• Like 4