Melbourne Football

Tando Velaphi

Was asked to take more photos with fans than any other player after the match. Who would have thought he'd be the most in-form keeper in the league (8 clean sheets from 15 games I believe) and would be among our best players and now probably our most popular player.

Signed merely as a back-up keeper. Done extremely well to capitalise on the opportunities given to him this season.

The man's a legend.

TBH the Tando chant must give him a big boost in confidence when belted out by the whole terrace rather loudly.

• Like 2

Was asked to take more photos with fans than any other player after the match. Who would have thought he'd be the most in-form keeper in the league (8 clean sheets from 15 games I believe) and would be among our best players and now probably our most popular player.

Signed merely as a back-up keeper. Done extremely well to capitalise on the opportunities given to him this season.

The man's a legend.

TBH the Tando chant must give him a big boost in confidence when belted out by the whole terrace rather loudly.

In particular when suspended and Redmayne is in goals.

• Like 1

The man's a legend.

you can tell he loves it

• Like 1

Do people feel confident watching when Tando's in goal?

Don't get me wrong, he has excellent reflexes and is a decent shot stopper but doesn't seem to command or have a presence in the box.

There are moments where he's watching as a long ranger goes flying inches past his post. But later, he'll come back strongly with a close-range save.

I'd usually mark him against the benchmarks of your Covic's and Galekovic's but both have been pretty ordinary of late...

Do people feel confident watching when Tando's in goal?

Don't get me wrong, he has excellent reflexes and is a decent shot stopper but doesn't seem to command or have a presence in the box.

There are moments where he's watching as a long ranger goes flying inches past his post. But later, he'll come back strongly with a close-range save.

I'd usually mark him against the benchmarks of your Covic's and Galekovic's but both have been pretty ordinary of late...

when he's in goal i don't fear every shot going in like i did with redmayne, he has a couple minor errors every now and then but still solid

• Like 2

Velaphi Ready for Melbourne City’s Tough Run-In

15 April 2015

The A-League finals might be three weeks away but for Melbourne City, it starts this weekend.

With a place in the finals secured through Perth Glory's salary cap woes and back-to-back trips to Perth and Adelaide United to round off the season, it all means City is preparing for a five-week away-day campaign that would lead it to a most unlikely championship.

City doesn't know its finals opposition but goalkeeper Tando Velaphi says the next fortnight would be the perfect lead-in to the knockout finals.

"Perth and Adelaide, they don't get too much tougher than that in terms of away games," he said.

"It's going to be really good preparation for us.

"It's never easy playing away games in the finals but with this preparation if we can get our mindset focused, it will lead us well."

Velaphi knows how tough away finals are from his previous finals campaign as a No.1 gloveman, with Perth Glory.

In 2010, Glory finished fifth and headed to Wellington Phoenix for a knock-out final, losing on penalties.

But the 27-year-old says a stronger force can help City avoid the same fate in 2015.

"We're on a good run, we're unbeaten in five and the boys are buzzing," he said.

"Momentum is a massive thing, if we can keep that going leading into the business end of the season, we should do well."

Velaphi, like everyone at City, adds the disclaimer that it is not banking on a finals campaign until it's mathematically certain.

But with a five-match unbeaten streak in its pocket ahead of training on a bright autumn morning at City Football Academy, the club is rightfully positive.

The training pitch looks - and cost - a million dollars and Velaphi said moving into the new facility in February has given City's players a 'sub-conscious' boost.

"When you walk into work and see the facilities, you only want to get the best out of yourself every day," he said.

"Sub-consciously it's helped the team a lot, the team vibe ... we're really lucky.

"We don't take it for granted and we realise when you're here to work, you're here to work."

Velaphi is uncontracted beyond this season with City, but says it's not affecting him.

"I'm enjoying my football and enjoying being at this club, I just want to continue doing that," he said.

"Whatever happens will sort itself out in the end."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/15/velaphi-ready-melbourne-citys-tough-run

Here's the full video of this press conference:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/tando-velaphi-on--final180/1197402

• 3 weeks later...

Melbourne City goalkeeper Tando Velaphi out to set finals record straight

April 30, 2015

Tando Velaphi has different motivations to his Melbourne City teammates for Sunday's A-League final with Wellington Phoenix.

No player in coach John van `t Schip's squad is lacking a reason to perform, with the chance to be the first City side to win a final.

A potential week two finals match-up with Melbourne Victory makes a win even more enticing.

But for Velaphi it's personal, with the luck of the draw throwing up a chance to atone a previous loss.

Velaphi's sole A-League finals outing in nine seasons came with Perth Glory in the New Zealand capital five years ago.

After making the long road trip to Wellington, a scoreline of 1-1 after extra time meant a dreaded penalty shoot-out would decide the tie.

While Velaphi dived the right way with three of his efforts, it was opposition gloveman Liam Reddy who won the game for Phoenix, saving twice to send Wellington through 4-2 on spot kicks.

Velaphi, now 28, said his enduring memory of the match was the atmosphere.

"There was an incredible crowd that day, 25,000," he told AAP.

"It was a tight contest and I'm sure it will be again, that's what finals are like.

"We might have lost on penalties, but now I'm heading back there again and hopefully I can get a better result this time."

To achieve a first finals win, City will need to reverse back-to-back defeats on the road to Perth Glory and Adelaide United.

Velaphi said it would be easy pushing the two rotten results out of his head.

"You just have to," he said.

"It's not what we wanted from the last couple of games but finals is a new ball game.

"We've looked at what we need to improve on and everyone's up for the fight and the challenge."

Velaphi has Phoenix to thank for his position as City's No.1 gloveman.

It was City's 5-1 rout at the hands of a Nathan Burns-inspired team that persuaded van `t Schip to return him to the starting eleven.

Penalty practice for City is still yet to come but Velaphi says it's up to the team to make sure it doesn't come down to that on Sunday.

"We'll do our homework but it's not something we look at really, really closely," he said.

"If it comes down to that, we'll be ready to step up.

"But everyone would prefer to end it finish off the game within 120 minutes."

AAP                

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-goalkeeper-tando-velaphi-out-to-set-finals-record-straight-20150430-1mx2pd.html

Only clean sheet in the finals so far, 5 year contract marquee goalkeeper

To add to that, Tando now has an equal A League clean sheet high of 9 clean sheets this season (equal with Janjetovic from the smurfs).

finals game or not, surely Tando is in with a great shout as the a league keeper of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if the smurfs have paid someone off so Janjetovic has it but still ....

To add to that, Tando now has an equal A League clean sheet high of 9 clean sheets this season (equal with Janjetovic from the smurfs).

finals game or not, surely Tando is in with a great shout as the a league keeper of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if the smurfs have paid someone off so Janjetovic has it but still ....

Equal clean sheets for less games played too. Australian of the Year

ooooooh, I love me some spooky FFA x Sydney conspiracy theories

But seriously, it's just as bad as some of those WA folk who believe everyone to the east of them has some sort of vendetta against them. 

ooooooh, I love me some spooky FFA x Sydney conspiracy theories

But seriously, it's just as bad as some of those WA folk who believe everyone to the east of them has some sort of vendetta against them.

But we do have a vendetta against them!

Didn't you get the memo?

Thanks for Steading up the back line... But to come in with 9 clean sheets in 18 starts and keeping a clean sheets last week, to copping 3 yesterday showed that you are unable to play in the big matches...

Don't worry your not alone there will be many following you out the door...

Thanks for Steading up the back line... But to come in with 9 clean sheets in 18 starts and keeping a clean sheets last week, to copping 3 yesterday showed that you are unable to play in the big matches...

Easily one of the best 4 or 3 players all year. 2 of the 3 goals conceded last night no keeper in the a-league could have stopped, and he made a pretty handy one on one save middle of the 2nd half.

The whole team was comprehensively beaten last night, not just Velaphi.

Easily one of the best 4 or 3 players all year. 2 of the 3 goals conceded last night no keeper in the a-league could have stopped, and he made a pretty handy one on one save middle of the 2nd half.

The whole team was comprehensively beaten last night, not just Velaphi.

position for 1st was pretty bad, standing right on near post, goals completely open, made a mess of the 3rd

Issue for mine on the third goal was that the save put him out of the follow ip contest.

He should have stayed on his feet and charged Thompson, making sure he broke the dog's leg, compound style in the process.

Then with the prick on the ground in agony, he then could've ripped his shinbone out of his leg and stuffed it straight up the c**t's arsehole.

That's what should of happened...

His kick outs/disposals were tragic last night. Anybody count how many of his disposals went to the opposition? I reckon it would be close to 90%

That first clearance that went for a corner! Jesus christ!

But overall he has been solid this season. Def deserves a new contract for me. Even if we get another keeper in and they have to fight it out for top spot

• Like 1

His kick outs/disposals were tragic last night. Anybody count how many of his disposals went to the opposition? I reckon it would be close to 90%

Agree. He was out of his element in a final. He continuously would kick to the opposition or out. Then if the ball was kicked through, instead of picking it up he would let it go out for a goal kick at which stage he would just belt it back up to the opposition instead of rolling it out to the backs!!!

He's been poor the last few games. Would have to pick up his game quickly if he were to be my 2015/6 keeper.

• 1 month later...

Would prefer redders to jones. At least redders dives the right way.

Have just seen people on fb calling for Jones. Tbh it would almost be a dealbreaker. Jones is a spud and a half. But he might prove me wrong and do alright in the a league.

Edited by fidrildid6

Going to be tough on Tando if he's released after the season he's had. i just hope we don't do another "Engelaar for Koren" type deal.

What do you know?In the transfer thread charlibub reckons we are getting a new keeper and he is promoting his track record. (Presume he is Greek etc)

But me, I know nothing. My best contact is a Croatian construction worker and he's hopeless at info.

In regard to jones there is talk on someone's website ( 442?) that he'll stay in the EPL. I haven't seen enough of him to form a strong opinion.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1