Melbourne Football

Jeremy Walker

Murfy1

No. I'm not embarrassed by my support for Jeremy Walker. Walker is a young player who needs coaching and guidance from the more experienced players around him. He is a converted winger who needs good coaching. He has a good head on him and is good going forward. Effort doesn't seem to be his problem, confidence does.

Anyone else embarrassed by their support of Walker?  I have to say I was expecting a lot more of him this season and frankly I can see why the gaffer went to Hoffman ahead of him.  Unless he wants to be flipping burgers on the tassie north coast next year he'd better pull his finger out.  

Not at all. I'm not embarrassed by my support for Walker or any of the other young players associated with the club, because developing and promoting young players and giving them the chance to realise their football ambitions is one of the ideals behind the founding of Melbourne Heart and one of the reasons why I'm a foundation member.

I'd say those who ought to be embarrassed are those in the club who are responsible for us steadily moving away from those founding ideals and who are responsible for the position that we now find ourselves in.

• Like 4

Anyone else embarrassed by their support of Walker?  I have to say I was expecting a lot more of him this season and frankly I can see why the gaffer went to Hoffman ahead of him.  Unless he wants to be flipping burgers on the tassie north coast next year he'd better pull his finger out.  

I've been disappointed with him, but certainly not embarrassed.

Last season he was just about our best performed player in the second half of the year. He showed an ability to defend solidly, a mentality of wanting to be involved in our attacks and created with interlinking play with our right winger and going on runs himself. My only query on him at the time was his pace, which whilst sufficient wasn't as good as I would've liked.

This season he looks a player bereft of confidence, like much of the rest of the squad. Except for some reason his is the most justified, seeing as after performing so well last season, and being giving a deserved senior contract, he was omitted from the senior squad throughout the pre-season, only featuring off the bench or in the youth side, and then totally ignored for the season proper until we were forced to acknowledge he was on the list.

Walker is still a very capable, but he needs to have faith shown in him by the club again and regain his confidence. The fact that he has lost his confidence is an indictment on the club, and it's supposed philosophy of promoting and developing youth.

We should be the club that fills young players with the confidence that they can, are and will be quality Australian footballers, and that they will achieve that with Melbourne Heart. The supporters do that. Walker is as popular player as we have.

The coaching staff clearly don't, and that's the embarrassing part.

Edited by The Aardvark
  • Like 6

Walker and Behich have the same problem, when they try to attack with some width they are forced to move inside as the wingers both stayed wide. It's not a coincidence that our RB and LB have both been MIA this season. Again poor structure, poor coaching. Hoffman doesn't even try to bring the ball forward

Walker and Behich have the same problem, when they try to attack with some width they are forced to move inside as the wingers both stayed wide. It's not a coincidence that our RB and LB have both been MIA this season. Again poor structure, poor coaching. Hoffman doesn't even try to bring the ball forward

I thought i was the only one seeing this.

My word how bad is our structures and coaching. Not seen anything like it.

I hope we don't bring any kids into the system under JA as they will lose confidence like Jeremy has.

Walker, Vrankovic, Mauk, Retre, Garrucio could all be huge players and assets under a good system. Not under This one.

Well there is a bit more to it

All the wide backs have given up trying to go forward.  No point.  Here's my take:

To play overlapping fullbacks, the wings can and do sit wide, but they don't sit on the shoulders of defenders looking for through balls (like we are now and like most 15 year olds would do).  They sit a bit deeper and will get the ball to feet and dribble IN FIELD on an angle, drawing the defence with them.  Whilst this is going on the wide back makes a run down the flank and is played in by the winger.  Lost count of the number of times we did this under JVS.

Not doing this means all our wide backs are is defenders.  Might as well play 4 centre backs if we don't want them to go forward. 

I don't blame Walker for this, its just I really rated the kid and because of that I expected more than we've seen this year, regardless of how poor his coach is.

Well there is a bit more to it

All the wide backs have given up trying to go forward.  No point.  Here's my take:

To play overlapping fullbacks, the wings can and do sit wide, but they don't sit on the shoulders of defenders looking for through balls (like we are now and like most 15 year olds would do).  They sit a bit deeper and will get the ball to feet and dribble IN FIELD on an angle, drawing the defence with them.  Whilst this is going on the wide back makes a run down the flank and is played in by the winger.  Lost count of the number of times we did this under JVS.

Not doing this means all our wide backs are is defenders.  Might as well play 4 centre backs if we don't want them to go forward. 

I don't blame Walker for this, its just I really rated the kid and because of that I expected more than we've seen this year, regardless of how poor his coach is.

yes and that's why JA's first choice RB is the Hoff as is happy to just sit deep and (sometimes) defend, it just gives us no width st all

Edited by belaguttman

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good chat with Kimon Taliadoros (Heart Youth assistant coach) on Sunday before the game. He had just arrived in Sydney after our youth team played in Newcastle.

I told him how I (and most of our fans) are feeling about Aloisi. One of the topics I brought up were, "Why doesn't Aloisi play Walker at right back and he insists with Hoffman who used to be a striker?"

He came back with something like, "Walker played really well today too - I don't know why he doesn't play him..."

Even Heart staff don't know what Aloisi is doing and why he's doing it! lol

I had a good chat with Kimon Taliadoros (Heart Youth assistant coach) on Sunday before the game. He had just arrived in Sydney after our youth team played in Newcastle.

I told him how I (and most of our fans) are feeling about Aloisi. One of the topics I brought up were, "Why doesn't Aloisi play Walker at right back and he insists with Hoffman who used to be a striker?"

He came back with something like, "Walker played really well today too - I don't know why he doesn't play him..."

Even Heart staff don't know what Aloisi is doing and why he's doing it! lol

I think Walker has to start this week.

You look at what the visitors have in the forward half, they'll run rings around Hoffman.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This highlights video of Walker surfaced on Youtube today:

I hope we get the fullback positions right next season. Personally I'm sick and tired of the makeshift fullbacks, and would really appreciate the club getting proven players for the fullback positions.

Honestly I feel Walker really blew it this year.  The start of the season he seemed to be the likely first choice right back, given that the alternate was in effect a journeyman who had struggled to make his mark in the A League in either the forwards or midfield.

Although at season start he wasn't first choice, he did get a chance for a few games early on and really, was terrible.  Given this was his chance to cement a professional career I would have thought he would have been a bit more ruthless about securing his position - he has showed in the past he has the talent.

When you are not involved you don't know why the things you see on the field happen - carrying an injury?  personal problems? poor lifestyle choices? but ultimately I expected a lot more from a guy with his ability. 

It's not Walker's fault, it's Aloisi's fault for continually picking the inexperienced right back in Hoffman as opposed to an up and coming young star who would be of much greater value to Heart than Hoffman!

I spoke to Kimon (Heart's assistant coach) before the Sydney game in Sydney and as I was bitching about JA and why he plays Hoffman he said it baffles him as well because Jeremy was performing very well for the youth at the time!

I blame JA for everything that's gone wrong this season, but playing Hoffman over Walker was a travesty!

I saw that his face came up on the screen on Sunday in the team line up

I that that it was a selection from out of the blue

turns out that the announcement was an error

Yes, how on earth did they stuff that up? And then not have a jersey to give to the second lad who hit the cross-bar in the half-time competition...how mean could the club be?

• Like 1

I liked what JW produced last year. I did not think that this year was as good as last year but then none of his team mates had a stellar season. I have given my thoughts on JA's coaching elsewhere and if the club releases JW then sadly that was because of JA who will bear a lot of responsibility for retarding and ending careers. I think that he has a lot of potential and perhaps like Goodwin may need a spell in the VPL and see whether he gets another chance. It looks like the club will endure Hoffman for a few more seasons until someone finally realises that he will never improve beyond what he has delivered so far.

• Like 2

No, I'd be surprised if he played for us again.

Which sucks because he jas legitimate talent.

does he?

I reckon he has an eye for seeing where the ball is going to be and where it needs to get to. He just needs proper game time and mentoring to develop confidence. JA screwed that up unfortunately.

Personal opinion though. Why, what do yiu think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...