Melbourne Football

Jeremy Walker

Murfy1

Softly spoken kid, but a good confident and attacking fullback. Hopefully he keeps getting better next season.

Also, it was interesting that he said Matt Thompson, Colosimo and Fred were the most supportive and helpful players off the pitch. 

Yeah slightly concerning that who he saw as our best leaders are no longer at the club. Kewell and Wielardt may fill those rolls but I'd still like the club to bring in someone that everyone thought would be a perfect captain.

Strange the most people on this website want paddy G as captain but Jez who played in the back four with him didn't mention him as being supportive and helping him through.

• 3 months later...

A much needed bump

Something is afoot behind the scenes with this bloke, he gets given the no2 shirt and then can't even get near the squad after showing some great potential last season.

Time to slip on our tinfoil hats and get to the bottom of the conspiracy behind the Walker mystery

• Like 1

Yeah its strange.  I hope he's keeping his chin up and working hard.  Reality is if he can't force his way past a Hoffman he's not going to have much of a career.  Last year i was thinking "future socceroo".  Haven't lost hope in that, but socceroos don't lose out to the Hoffmans of this world.

Something that really annoys me about Aloisi preferring Hoffman over Walker is that Walker played under Aloisi when he coached the youth team in 2011-12. So it's not like Aloisi hasn't seen Walker play much, he'd already coached Walker for a whole season before he became the senior coach, and he still prefers Hoffman over Walker for RB.....

I can let one coaching idiosyncrasy/stupid decision slide. As long as Aloisi keeps being sensible with all our other positions and players I'm not fussed ATM (especially whilst Hoffman keeps being a serviceable RB).

Really feel for Walker, though. But I guess he's only 20, and Petercrouch is right that the season is long enough for Walker to get a fair bit out of this season. I don't think this RB issue will set Walker back significantly.

Edited by Murfy1

A much needed bump

Something is afoot behind the scenes with this bloke, he gets given the no2 shirt and then can't even get near the squad after showing some great potential last season.

Time to slip on our tinfoil hats and get to the bottom of the conspiracy behind the Walker mystery

I also love the old numbers,

But lets face it they mean jack when DMac walks in and demands the Big Number Nine.

There could be any number of reasons why Walker isn't making the team squads, but I don't think for a second it's based on merit.

JA knows how good he is, he played him there the second half of last season, gave him the number 2 jersey, promoted him to a senior contract and he's gone off to young socceroos camps. And here's a press conference from last year of JA praising Walker.

I doubt it's because he's too focused on uni either. He has a contract. Playing Football is his job, everything else in his life has to be moulded around that. Also my mate used to play at Oakleigh with him and said he was the hardest worker there. First to go, last to leave and would be doing twice as much training with reserves and seniors. So I think he is very motivated on his football career.

I'm guessing somethings going on in his private life a while back that is affecting him emotionally and untimely his game. He is only a kid after all. Which is why midway through preseason Hoffman started to be played at RB to cover while Walker is getting his life sorted out.

Well theres my conspiracy theory. I think Walker will come back when he is ready since again, I don't think he's out on merit

• Like 1

There could be any number of reasons why Walker isn't making the team squads, but I don't think for a second it's based on merit.

JA knows how good he is, he played him there the second half of last season, gave him the number 2 jersey, promoted him to a senior contract and he's gone off to young socceroos camps. And here's a press conference from last year of JA praising Walker.

I doubt it's because he's too focused on uni either. He has a contract. Playing Football is his job, everything else in his life has to be moulded around that. Also my mate used to play at Oakleigh with him and said he was the hardest worker there. First to go, last to leave and would be doing twice as much training with reserves and seniors. So I think he is very motivated on his football career.

I'm guessing somethings going on in his private life a while back that is affecting him emotionally and untimely his game. He is only a kid after all. Which is why midway through preseason Hoffman started to be played at RB to cover while Walker is getting his life sorted out.

Well theres my conspiracy theory. I think Walker will come back when he is ready since again, I don't think he's out on merit

i think you may be right there. Its probably something personal that the club (rightfully) is hush hush about

Here's a tweet from Sam Mitchinson posted on September 8:

"@jezwalker25 studying for his Portuguese exam! #scrapper #bilingual #trilingual"

BTsj0KACcAAoSaG.jpg

It looks like Walker is at uni. Fair enough for a footballer to go to uni and study Portuguese as well, IMO.

I sort of hope it's uni, rather than some issue with his personal life, that's keeping Walker from playing. If it's uni, it'll pass by pretty quickly, and we could see Walker playing RB again soon. If it's some issue he's having, it might not be resolved so quickly.

• Like 1

Doesn't make sense to me that he can train and attend matches but not play...

Gameday prep plus recovery would probably take up 24 hours, plus tactical meetings during the week which he wouldn't be expected to attend probably take up another days worth. 

Still wouldn't explain why he hasn't played in the senior team since Richmond which was many months ago

Edited by Tbitm

I don't understand how uni can stop him from playing? There are heaps of AFL players who were enrolled in uni during the season and were still playing AFL football.

The problem though with AFL though is they hardly ever go to uni and study. They do a 3 year degree over roughly 6+ years. AFL players are also on a much bigger wage that they can afford to juggle study and footy with Footy taking priority. My guess is something more personal is happening here.

Ironically learning Portuguese which he won't be needing given he's not playing and therefore no chance for selection for Brazil, needs to start learning Russian and aim for 2018

No mate. It's an all or nothing attempt to get to Brazil for the WC. The Hoff decoy is working a treat.