Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

Rashid Mahazi looked good at DM

He has been playing for Northcote this season, getting a lot off minutes and playing very well. They are leading the VPL by some way at the moment, and he's probably one of the reasons for it...

Do you think he'd be worth a place in the squad?

These games are useful for the players to get to know each other and to work on tactical issues however we'll never be given as much space and time in any HAL game. I worry that these games gives us little real indication of how match ready we are and give us little real practice at playing out from the back through a midfield press, one area where we were woeful last season. These are the sort of opponents where DMac and Hoff score hat tricks, not at all indicative of their HAL performances.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Good to hear how well Golgol and Dugandzic are doing.

Also, it's good to know that we won't be heavily relying on Golgol for goals, with Aloisi saying that Heart want a striker (and a midfielder) to complete the squad. I reckon with those additions Heart could have an excellent and pretty balanced squad.

Edited by Murfy1

A couple of things I picked up.

With Behich coming back looks like we're going to play Ramsay further forward than originally envisaged. That's good.

Looks like two further signings only - MF and striker. With two visa spots remaining that produces an interesting equation wrt to Garcia.

Have been told there will be more Pre-Season games announced soon.

Something tells me a good chunk will be either interstate or behind closed doors. I do not understand it at all!

If that's the case, as long as these pre-season matches help Heart travel better and play better at away games, then I would be ok with it. Perhaps the main thing Heart have to do to play better next season is improve our away performances.

The closed doors thing is baffling, though.

I recall there should be roughly a dozen pre-season matches, so hopefully 3 or 4 of those are in Melbourne and are open to supporters.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I think we were the 3rd best first half team or something, and there seems so be an enormous emphasis on workload and fitness this per-season to irradiate our second half fade outs. I think this will also help turn some of those losses into draws and draws into victories and subsequently improving that dreadful away record, I don't mind more preseason matches on the road though, it can only be a good thing for the team

Makes sense,

We finally get a "open" friendly somewhere reasonably near me and I will be interstate.

I was told by a very good source we had closed door friendly against Western Suburbs two weeks ago in which most senior players bar Kewell took part.

Edited by cadete

Makes sense,

We finally get a "open" friendly somewhere reasonably near me and I will be interstate.

I was told by a very good source we had closed door friendly against Western Suburbs two weeks ago in which most senior players bar Kewell took part.

Stefan Mauk, about two weeks ago, made a twitter post essentially saying "first hit out with tr lads, good to get a win". So, I'd believe that.

Me to a Richmond player: "Are your lads facing up with Melbourne Heart on August 16 in a friendly?"

From the Richmond player: "yeah mate pretty sure we are, come down and watch"

From the Richmond player: "not too sure on the date but i know we're playing them in the next couple weeks, yeah bring them down (in reference to my friends who i said were keen to go).. ill try bring my a game"

Edited by Deluka

My bad, my mate plays there and gave me that date. He said he was gonna double check to make sure but I posted up here before he could. Just couldn't wait I guess haha

Well luckily it seems like a few people on here have connections at Richmond too so I'm sure we'll find out the out soon enough the right date.