Melbourne Football

Pre-Season Friendlies

hakz7

I am just annoyed the Mongs have already had two easily attendable local friendlies...

Of course BWB didn't attend...

I heard BWB were too busy getting into fights, threatening people over facebook, collecting doll checks ext. They were busy helping Australia become a better country :up:

• Like 1

Wait, we played 3 a-league teams last preseason didn't we ?? WSW in lismore, Ade. and perth at epping. Why did we play 3 ?? I thought we were only allowed to play 2 ?? Was it because it was WSW and they were giving them more games and we just got lucky ??

Dukes, it was definitely two"official" pre-season games for our first two seasons.

I got the feeling that last season the Lismore game was not an "official" one but something that we arranged ourselves. IIRC the Lismore trip is an annual training camp for MHFC and we try to arrange a friendly against A-League opposition as part of the camp.

The other two games against A-League opposition are "official" A-League pre-season games.

• Like 1

Anyone know if we're playing knights this preseason? Going for the game, staying for the ćevapi hehe

lol  :droy:

Would like to see us trying to play some Korean or Japanese teams in pre season occasionally.

Probably wouldn't suit them though with timing and don't think either team would have that much to gain by travelling.

• Like 1

Surely we'll definitely be playing WSW at Epping this pre-season for the Craig Foster cup...that was an annual thing right?

We are the proud holders of the most prestigious trophy in World Football, I wouldn't be surprised if WSW were so scared of us that they didn't want a rematch after we utterly pulverized them last time around. 

Surely we'll definitely be playing WSW at Epping this pre-season for the Craig Foster cup...that was an annual thing right?

We are the proud holders of the most prestigious trophy in World Football, I wouldn't be surprised if WSW were so scared of us that they didn't want a rematch after we utterly pulverized them last time around. 

Has its own Wikipedia Page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Craig_Foster_Cup

I am starting to find it annoying that MVFC have another local friendly this week which I think is their third now in a month, I bet MHFC will finally announce one when I go interstate for a few days.

I also find it annoying that MVFC are looking at Moreland Zebras winger Nelson Salvatore whose one of my favorites in the State Leagues, the guy has a lot of pace and a hunger to do well. The last time MVFC spotted a player for their NYL with similar attributes from Juve it was Nabbout and we all know how that turned out.

don't get too worked up about mv, the only reason they are having practice matches is cause they play Liverpool next week. Sydney are also having practice matches because they are heading off to italy and japan but outside them i don't think any other team have had many either.

• Like 1

don't get too worked up about mv, the only reason they are having practice matches is cause they play Liverpool next week. Sydney are also having practice matches because they are heading off to italy and japan but outside them i don't think any other team have had many either.

Yeah I know that's the case,

But TBH I am a massive fan of cold Preseason games at suburban games, it sounds stupid but some of the best moments I have had as a Heart fan have happened at these games.

Seeing the Mongs posting pics of their games have just got me a bit jealous that's all. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind guys, Melbourne Victory will have to start their pre-season matches earlier as they've the Liverpool match to prepare for.

To be honest this does make me feel better. In fact it makes it worse. It just highlights how much more they have their shit together. 

Can't wait till our grudge match against the Victorian Institute of the Blind 2nd XI, expecting the Hoff to grab a double in that one after we take the bell out of the ball.

Hahahahahaha

This is basically true. Some of the things these players do are equally mind boggling and hilarious.

Let us pray that seeing 2 guys who earned a collective 500k/py (Thompson and Colostomy) getting turned on their arse by 17 year old country wogs are over.

And the saddest thing is, we don't flog these teams as hard as we should.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 1

I'm in too...I have three days owed to me from my boss, so driving up from Geelong but not staying overnight, in fact three seats available for rides back to Southern Cross Station if any takers...will leave Melbourne city at about 4:30pm returning to melb by midnight or just afterwards. Thank fuck that REAL football is back, i have been bored shitless waiting for new season to start...as far as i'm concerned Football starts on the 25th. Fuck AFL, Fuck NRL but Wallabies/Lions tour and Socceroos qualifiers were just brilliant! Bring on the new season, i cannot wait!

• Like 2

Would it be too difficult for us to have 3-4 pre-season games in different locations around metro Melbourne so that members and potential supporters/members could get out to see the boys without travelling too far?

Seems to me that to increase memberships and interest in the club we have to get out there and go to the people and not wait for people to come to the club.

Shepparton and Lismore are fine, but most of us are here in metro Melbourne.

• Like 2

Jesus, its just the first pre-season game. Chances are HK will get a run too which will bring the crowd out. In these regional areas, people don't have a clue who Holt or Karagounis is, but they know Kewell. Its a good thing what the club is doing with this.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Jesus, its just the first pre-season game. Chances are HK will get a run too which will bring the crowd out. In these regional areas, people don't have a clue who Holt or Karagounis is, but they know Kewell. Its a good thing what the club is doing with this.

Good for football - yes - but good for Melbourne Heart? How many members will they attract through their investment in Shep?

I wasn't questioning Shepparton or Lismore. Just asking for a a few matches here in metro Melbourne. From where I sit there's not a lot of getting out and selling the club to the Melbourne market at the moment. 

• Like 1

Good for football - yes - but good for Melbourne Heart? How many members will they attract through their investment in Shep?

I'd hardly call, driving the bus up to shep an investment and of course its good for MH. Like I said, the vast majority of people out of Melbourne would have no idea who ADP or Ono or  Holt are. They do know who Kewell and Cahill and Neil are, we have one of them. Why not use it? Oh and whats the point of having 'regional memberships' if the club wouldn't go out of their way to show its not just a token gesture.  

On another note. The more 'away' games, the better. Our number 1 issue I believe, is our god awful away record. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

I'd hardly call, driving the bus up to shep an investment and of course its good for MH. Like I said, the vast majority of people out of Melbourne would have no idea who ADP or Ono or  Holt are. They do know who Kewell and Cahill and Neil are, we have one of them. Why not use it? Oh and whats the point of having 'regional memberships' if the club wouldn't go out of their way to show its not just a token gesture.  

On another note. The more 'away' games, the better. Our number 1 issue I believe, is our god awful away record. 

Pretty ignorant to suggest country and regional people don't know about football tbh most afl dominated Melbournites aren't exactly a beacon of knowledge either

I've been a "country and regional" person my whole life and 95% of the people here couldn't tell you who Lionel Messi, Pele or Maradona are. Let alone Holt or ADP. We really do know jack shit. Sokkah is for pussies and faggots etc.

Fuck. Even half the people involved in the club I play for have this mentality and play matches like it's AFL, using AFL speak like kicking goals, forward line and the goalie marking the ball. Then chat about the footy afterwards.

County Victorian football has a long way to go.

• Like 3

I've been a "country and regional" person my whole life and 95% of the people here couldn't tell you who Lionel Messi, Pele or Maradona are. Let alone Holt or ADP. We really do know jack shit. Sokkah is for pussies and faggots etc.

Fuck. Even half the people involved in the club I play for have this mentality and play matches like it's AFL, using AFL speak like kicking goals, forward line and the goalie marking the ball. Then chat about the footy afterwards.

This.

I'm in Wodonga so it's probably about 60% AFL, 30% Soccer, 10% whatever else but yeah, it's rare to find someone who knows a lot about world football in general, let alone the A-League.

My girlfriend thought that Melbourne Heart and Manchester City (my Premier League team) were both in the same league, I just shook my head.

• Like 2

This.

I'm in Wodonga so it's probably about 60% AFL, 30% Soccer, 10% whatever else but yeah, it's rare to find someone who knows a lot about world football in general, let alone the A-League.

My girlfriend thought that Melbourne Heart and Manchester City (my Premier League team) were both in the same league, I just shook my head.

Rofl, i'm surprised she knew that they were soccer teams, my ex thought heart were a country afl reserves team!

• Like 1

This.

Rofl, i'm surprised she knew that they were soccer teams, my ex thought heart were a country afl reserves team!

I hope this is why she earned the title of 'ex' 

• Like 4