Melbourne Football

Andrew Redmayne

Murfy1

• 4 weeks later...

I have too many Fabien Barthez moments with Redmayne, I get anxious everytime he gets near the ball.

You'll have heart tremors if velaphi was keeping.

Seriously we need a quality keeper.

I always though redders was no2 keeper quality.

Yes, he blundered again last night, and his distribution is pretty terrible. But in fairness, he hasn't had much in front of him all season, and presumably first JA and now JvS are happy with the way he's clearing the ball out from the back? In fairness too, Janjetkovic(?) made a mess of things to present us with our equaliser.

Nevertheless, I would like to see us sign a proven quality keeper for next season, and move Redders to the no. 2 role. One of three key positions in the spine of the team - GK, CB (where Wielaert, although a competent player, was again found wanting for speed last night), and CF. Harry did everything right last night, but at 35 he doesn't have the speed to be no. 9.

I have too many Fabien Barthez moments with Redmayne, I get anxious everytime he gets near the ball.

You'll have heart tremors if velaphi was keeping.

Seriously we need a quality keeper.

I always though redders was no2 keeper quality.

I have heart tremors even thinking about Velaphi keeping goal for us

• Like 2

Tando in please.

Do you even realize what you have just said?

Go and google Tando Velaphi highlights. You won't find anything.

Redmayne, blind folded, with his legs tied together, is 10 times better than Tando. We pretty much don't have a back up keeper.

The kid is 24 and in his first full season of professional football and it's widely acknowledged keepers don't peak until 30. He's made some mistakes but he hasn't been Robinson Crusoe in this team this year. I'm of the feeling we should persist to give him experience and build his confidence - to me the chance of finals is remote so let's try and improve his skills - there's little downside but a huge upside.

Keepers, like all players have form slumps - just look at Joe Hart at MCFC. The problem we have is that our backup keeper doesn't sound great, and changing a keeper is not as simple as substituting other players. CBs and keepers need to develop understandings about positioning, team work and interceptions. This takes time especially under pressure situations.

I'd also add he has done some good things this year which have gone uncommented upon. Earlier in the season he had a period of winning 7 straight one one ones against forwards and did again on the weekend. He's made some pretty good saves with an unsettled, porous defence in front of him and he has had a baptism of fire. He's probably the only real example of our youth policy being persisted with this season and this will always have rookie mistakes. The problem for keepers is that their mistakes are always in the spotlight.

• Like 2

The kid is 24 and in his first full season of professional football and it's widely acknowledged keepers don't peak until 30. He's made some mistakes but he hasn't been Robinson Crusoe in this team this year. I'm of the feeling we should persist to give him experience and build his confidence - to me the chance of finals is remote so let's try and improve his skills - there's little downside but a huge upside.

Keepers, like all players have form slumps - just look at Joe Hart at MCFC. The problem we have is that our backup keeper doesn't sound great, and changing a keeper is not as simple as substituting other players. CBs and keepers need to develop understandings about positioning, team work and interceptions. This takes time especially under pressure situations.

I'd also add he has done some good things this year which have gone uncommented upon. Earlier in the season he had a period of winning 7 straight one one ones against forwards and did again on the weekend. He's made some pretty good saves with an unsettled, porous defence in front of him and he has had a baptism of fire. He's probably the only real example of our youth policy being persisted with this season and this will always have rookie mistakes. The problem for keepers is that their mistakes are always in the spotlight.

Agreed. And I think this begs the question of the quality of our GK coaching. That's what the coaches are there for - to analyse any deficiencies and help the player to recognise them and overcome them.

Still would like to see us get a proven quality keeper though.

I am probably alone in this but I think Redders is class. Good positioning and great in the air, very athletic. But he just has too many brain farts. I think a good Gk coach to get these aspects out of his game.

But also some competition will keep him focused. Either find some excellent youth to challenge his spot or have a crack at Schwarzer for a season or two and make Redders fight for the job or at least learn from a hero

I am probably alone in this but I think Redders is class. Good positioning and great in the air, very athletic. But he just has too many brain farts. I think a good Gk coach to get these aspects out of his game.

But also some competition will keep him focused. Either find some excellent youth to challenge his spot or have a crack at Schwarzer for a season or two and make Redders fight for the job or at least learn from a hero

I rate Redders highly aswell. That being said he has been rather horrid at times this season. He has gotten marginally better under JVS. I believe it is a confidence issue. He seems to feel uncomfortable telling the more senior defenders where to be. Redder's needs to take control of the box and command it.

That is a good point. His distribution is shit but that can be trained up. And I expect to see JVS have him.play it to defenders more often

When he first broke into the team he almost always played out to a defender (usually full back). Then it seemed to change this season

I rate Redders highly aswell. That being said he has been rather horrid at times this season. He has gotten marginally better under JVS. I believe it is a confidence issue. He seems to feel uncomfortable telling the more senior defenders where to be. Redder's needs to take control of the box and command it.

Someone else said it, I think. Redmayne looks like a bit too much of a nice guy and maybe one of those players who could overthink situations, rather than just letting his instincts take over. He just doesn't seem like the guy who will come charging off his line to fly at a high ball, with any opponent or teammate in the way just having to cop the consequences. Maybe that's something that can be developed. He seems to have a lot of tools to work with; just seems to be a case of whether he can develop that hard edge that all the great goalies have.

Out of interest, how would people on here rank the first choice keepers in the league?

Someone else said it, I think. Redmayne looks like a bit too much of a nice guy and maybe one of those players who could overthink situations, rather than just letting his instincts take over. He just doesn't seem like the guy who will come charging off his line to fly at a high ball, with any opponent or teammate in the way just having to cop the consequences. Maybe that's something that can be developed. He seems to have a lot of tools to work with; just seems to be a case of whether he can develop that hard edge that all the great goalies have.

Out of interest, how would people on here rank the first choice keepers in the league?

1. Galekovic

2. Theoklitos

3. Covic

4. Birighitti

5. Vukovic

6. Coe

7. Moss

8. Janjetovic

9. Redmayne

10. Reddy/Pasfield

• Like 1

That is a good point. His distribution is shit but that can be trained up. And I expect to see JVS have him.play it to defenders more often

When he first broke into the team he almost always played out to a defender (usually full back). Then it seemed to change this season

That's because he was from Brisbane, and that's the way Ange had Brisbane playing.

I lost count of the times we turned over possession because the final thump out from the back came from Redders. And he has the extremely irritating habit that eventually will cost us - taking too long to take goal kicks. He has copped at least one yellow for that.

These issues don't reflect his abilities as a goalkeeper. Rather, the coaching panel is to blame for not getting them out of his system.

That's because he was from Brisbane, and that's the way Ange had Brisbane playing.

I lost count of the times we turned over possession because the final thump out from the back came from Redders. And he has the extremely irritating habit that eventually will cost us - taking too long to take goal kicks. He has copped at least one yellow for that.

These issues don't reflect his abilities as a goalkeeper. Rather, the coaching panel is to blame for not getting them out of his system.

What you have highlighted there is not an issue of Redmayne. Rather it is an issue with the midfield and defence not adequately moving into space. Or when they do, if they don't get the ball they don't know what to do and instead just stand still.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit speculative, but this Andrew Redmayne highlights video was put up on Youtube yesterday:

I guess it was posted by either his number 1 fan or his agent. Maybe his agent put it up because it doesn't look like Redmayne will figure in the plans for next season..

Edited by Murfy1

A bit speculative, but this Andrew Redmayne highlights video was put up on Youtube yesterday:

I guess it was posted by either his number 1 fan or his agent. Maybe his agent put it up because it doesn't look like Redmayne will figure in the plans for next season..

How can he have a 23 minute long highlights package?