Melbourne Football

Andrew Redmayne

Murfy1

Couldn't find a thread on him. Here's an interview with Redmayne that was posted online today:

After years behind the scenes the time is right for Redmayne

Chief editor Adrian Houghton talks to Melbourne Heart shot-stopper Andrew Redmayne about his football journey and expectations for the upcoming campaign.

He’s played table tennis with Cesc Fabregas and enjoyed some banter with Freddie Ljunburg.

However, he may not be a household name like the former Arsenal stars, but Melbourne Heart goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne is primed for his most defining season yet.

After years of playing second fiddle to some of Australia’s premier shot-stoppers the former Central Coast and Brisbane understudy assumes the number one position between the sticks.

And in such a high-pressure environment he’s not taking anything for granted.

“Nothing is guaranteed in football,” Redmayne said.

“I’d like to think if my chance did come earlier I wouldn’t be as ready as I am now.”

The unassuming Gosford-born footballer has been influenced by some of Australia’s finest goalkeeping exponents.

It’s something he’s extremely grateful for, because he’s had the opportunity to learn from the best.

The likes of Michael Theo, Danny Vukovic, Clint Bolton and ex-Manchester United and Chelsea player Mark Bosnich have all played a role in his development.

“It’s been phenomenal having Theo, Vuka and Bosnich when he had his stint in the A-League and also Clint Bolton last season,” he said.

The journey has seen Redmayne win two titles with the Mariners and Roar and represent the Socceroos at Under-20 and Under-23 level.

25 caps for the Under-20′s and five Under-23 Socceroos caps is a strong example of his pedigree – Zimbio

Prior to his domestic success he was rewarded with a three-week trial for a standout performance in a tour match against Arsenal for the New South Wales Institute of Sport.

“I kept a clean sheet for NSWIS and was lucky enough to be invited back for few weeks at Arsenal on trial,” he said.

“I worked alongside Jens Lehmann, but most of my time was spent with (Manuel) Almunia.”

Training with two of world football’s most accomplished goalkeepers is something he will always cherish for the rest of his life.

“It was a phenomenal experience, the last year of Highbury and something I’ll never forget,” he said.

“It was great to see how the club is run and to utilise their facilities.”

“At the time I modeled myself a lot on Jens (Lehmann) because he was such a true professional on and off the pitch.”

Retired goalkeeper and former Red and White number one Clint Bolton has been a massive influence in Redmayne’s development.

“He’s a fanatic role model and working alongside him last year was amazing.”

“I still speak to him on a regular basis and the way he guided me through the backend of last season and even the pre-season as an understudy was incredible.”

Redmayne also reflected fondly on the time spent with arguably Australia’s finest shot-stopper Mark Bosnich at Central Coast.

“Obviously being an Australian I really admired him back in the day and being able to work with him one-on-one at the Mariners was amazing,” he said.

With such an illustrious group of goalkeepers involved in the young man’s progression he’s no doubt heard some invaluable advice.

But which words resonate the most to this day?

“The goalkeeping coach at the Mariners, John Crawley, said to control the controllables,” he said.

“You can’t control the strikers missing simple shots, you can’t control that the defender slipped over and you’re one-on-one but you can control how you perform, the way you act, how you train and how you present yourself each week.”

“If you do those things well, then you’re prepared for the weekend.”

An extremely focussed individual on the pitch, he’s an easy-going and comfortable character with life off the pitch as a resident of Carlton.

“I just like to get out and enjoy things,” Redmayne said. “I’m living on Lygon Street and thoroughly enjoy the area.”

“I don’t watch much TV to be honest, but I love to read a book, read the paper and have a coffee.”

Redmayne is also an avid fan of the opposing football code.

“I’m a big Sydney Swans fan and I think they’re fantastic role models with their incredible team culture,” he said.

With an extended pre-season he’ll have a greater opportunity to watch his beloved Swans, but for now he’s determined to use the extra two months of preparation to his advantage.

“It’ll give me more time to iron out creases or fix problems in my game from last year,” he said.

Redmayne started a total of seven games for the Heart last season – Live Pixel

Whilst he admits there’s a fair degree of edginess due to the long layoff, he’s expecting big things from the group and has his sights set on the top honours.

“I’ll be disappointed again if we don’t win the premiership; that’s the overall aim,” Redmayne said.

“In my opinion if you’re not aiming for the highest, then there’s no point.”

Melbourne Heart have bolstered their squad and in the process raised expectations following a terribly disappointing ninth place finish last season.

Acquiring the services of talented A-League players Massimo Murdocca from Brisbane Roar and former Adelaide United midfielder Iain Ramsay will enhance the squad.

With the addition of marquee signing Harry Kewell into the Red and White setup, it would appear Redmayne’s optimism is warranted.

“Mass (Murdocca) will be a big improvement in the middle of the park where he’ll give us a lot of energy and he’s outstanding with the defensive side of the game,” Redmayne said.

“As for Rambo (Ramsay), he’s got a lot of pace and I think he’s going to really thrive under the leadership of our coaching staff.”

It all bodes well for the Heart and the time is right for Redmayne to assert himself as one of the league’s premier goalkeepers.

Stood at 194cm, he’s an imposing figure and the young man entering his sixth season of A-League football is expecting to be a part of something special over the next year.

“It’s going to be a massive year for us and I’m really forward to being a part of it,” he said.

Speaking with such vigour about his mentors over the years, now Redmayne’s time has arrived.

http://outside90.com/?p=921

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

No doubt in my mind that he's underperforming. But I can't see anyone in the squad who is performing anything like the level expected or up to their potential. No-one (not even Hoffman in his "new" position of right-back - let's face it the guy was signed as a striker.)

I predicted bottom four for us. But did not dream that we would be the shambles we are.

There may be issues with individual players such as Redmayne, but it is clear that there are systemic issues right through the squad.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Redmayne must be dropped ASAP,soft goals against sydney big stuff up against victory.If anyone has seen all eleven games this season we have been a big chance to get a result in every game,but redders seams to let us down every time.I still think Aloisi is a decent coach with a decent side but weak keeping is killing the poor guy

I don't know about everyone else but everytime I've seen tando in goals he seems to fumble it. Watched him at Richmond preseason and he looked extremely ordinary, watched him at practise once and the ball looks like it bounces off him. Even on Friday when he was practising he fumbled a couple he should have caught. I don't think I'd risk putting him in goals, even after redmaynes fuckups. I think he would be worse based on what I've seen.

I remember seeing Redmayne play for the Brisbane Roar youth team. He was an excellent young goalkeeper then, who could do great agile saves, and he was also pretty good with his distribution, but most of the passes he did were short passes. 

It seemed like the perfect fit, a keeper who could pull off some great saves, but could also keep the ball on the deck, and Melbourne Heart (who were then still being coached by JVS). Enter Aloisi. Suddenly Redmayne has to be the quarterback in the team, who has to play accurate long passes, not just a few times a game, but at least 10 to 15 times a game, if not once every 5 minutes. 

It's almost like Aloisi expects Redmayne to be our playmaker. His passes are just about the most important, as well as those of our long passing centre-backs. And there's a key problem: the goalkeeper simply shouldn't be one of your most important passers.

This is what Bruce Djite said last week on the Fox Podcast:

I think it's because we've been playing well, the results haven't come, but we've been playing well. So it's not like we've been playing poorly, and we don't know what's wrong, and how we're going to fix it, and, you know, you feel lost, you lose confidence, and things like that, a la Melbourne Heart. We actually have confidence[...]

Players can tell that Heart players are absolutely out of confidence, which effectively means that Aloisi has lost the team. For all their supportive words in the media, the actions of the Heart players show that they don't believe in Aloisi, which is actually perfectly reasonable, because there is simply no compelling argument as to how this newbie coach could turn around this 16 game winless streak and horror season.

Redmayne is simply another player whose confidence Aloisi has destroyed. Also, if we actually played football and kept the ball on the ground at least some of the time, I reckon Redmayne perform better and his confidence would be better as well. Redmayne isn't the problem, Aloisi is.  

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

How is it aloisis fault when taggart from Newcastle scores three saveable goals from outside the box or del pieros weak shot or despotovics goal, do you want more examples

Because if Aloisi has lost the players (which it appears he has) then they aren't going to put in. Give them some one they want to play under and you will see how much better they play.

If your boss was inexperienced and shit and kept telling you to do things wrong your motivation to keep working would drop significantly. The players are no different.

Our players make constant mistakes without any fear that they will lose their position ... which in turn means those waiting in the wings for their turn (aka Velaphi, Garrucio, Varankovic, etc) have nothing to train and improve for, because they know they are unlikely to get a shot in the 1st team, whilst the 1st team get complacent.

If our players knew that if they f€cked up they would be on the bench or in the youth team the following week, perhaps they would concentrate and try that little bit harder and not f€ck up.

Look what Ang does to his squads ... players don't know if they've made the cut till the last minute. They are then always trying hard and competing to show their good enough. Look at Poppa, dropping Beauchamp ... It's a practice employed worldwide at every level of the game and in all codes ......

.... except at Melbourne Heart FC

• Like 1

How is it aloisis fault when taggart from Newcastle scores three saveable goals from outside the box or del pieros weak shot or despotovics goal, do you want more examples

Well assuming for just a second you are serious:

1.  Aloisi set up the team that allowed the ball to get to Taggart in space to shoot in the first place (3 times!!)

2.  Aloisi has selected Redmayne every week and signed Velaphi, a player he has not seen fit to select in his place, as a competitor for his position. 

The buck stops at the gaffer.  

Redmayne must be dropped ASAP

What's with all these reactive football posts?!

This person stuffs up, so get rid of him.

We conceded a goal, get rid of this person.

This next person stuffs up, now get rid of them.

Our coach isn't working anymore, get rid of them.

Our new coach isn't what we wanted, get rid of them.

Worse ideas than the English cricket captain. And last years Australian cricket team. So very reactive to what has just happened.

Someone hit a 4 there, move a fielder etc.

What we need is consistency.

No one had even talked about Redders before his "howler" during Saturdays game. Now what? All of a sudden we want him gone? Spare me. People make mistakes all the time. Kewell penalty.

I agree the Aloisi ship has run its course but don't blame the players.

Play them in their preferred position for a few games and see how things change. Back them.

Worse ideas than the English cricket captain. And last years Australian cricket team. So very reactive to what has just happened.

No one had even talked about Redders before his "howler" during Saturdays game. Now what? All of a sudden we want him gone? Spare me. People make mistakes all the time. Kewell penalty.

Play them in their preferred position for a few games and see how things change. Back them.

The team still needs some refreshing!! Like mentioned above a lot of the starting 11 have no threat to their positions because JA is too hesitant to develop and give the young lads a chance in the 11...

I think its more that people (including me) are getting frustrated that we can lose 5-0 and have the same starting line-up the next week.

This means players become too settled, and it can actually hamper their progress. 

Get some new, fresh faces in and get our squad earning their place. 

And once they do earn it... leave them in! Retre and Mauk should still be in the squad.

Redmayne comes over to supporters at the end of every game, stops for photos and a chat. And good on him for keeping this up last night, especially after how some of our supporters were having a go at the players who came over after the derby.

The results are rubbish but going the players will not fix things. I was quite impressed with their effort last night, even though the result went against us once again.

But good on Andrew Redmayne. Top club man.

• Like 1

Average at best. Gone downhill since last season. Kicking atrocious. Don't understand why we don't play out from the back starting with Redders rolling the ball out to a man in space. Most long kicks result in turning the ball over.

TBH I'm past this "good club man", "top bloke" thing. We need on-field results.

• Like 1

Average at best. Gone downhill since last season. Kicking atrocious. Don't understand why we don't play out from the back starting with Redders rolling the ball out to a man in space. Most long kicks result in turning the ball over.

TBH I'm past this "good club man", "top bloke" thing. We need on-field results.

Redders used to love playing ball out from the back last season.

I would assume it is instructions from the top saying to do otherwise