Melbourne Football

Who's gonna be the captain?

kingofhearts

With Fred gone and Garcia looking more and more likely that he is not going to re-sign, who would people want as the new captain of heart? Some Candidates include:

Harry Kewell: Exceptional player and leads by example

Germano: Been there for the longest, solid player, could be a good leader

Wielart: A bad ass Central defender, has experience, would be a solid leader.

Any other candidates?

Will Sparks

Joel Fletcher

actually Redmayne? 

ive bought this up in another fred, he could be the goods as if he stays at the club, he could lead us for 10+ years. 

only thing is, i would prefer a CB as captain (even though there is only really Go Hard) and not sure about having an inexperienced coach and captain at the same time. 

how good is Gerhardt's and Germano's english? 

Will Sparks

Joel Fletcher

actually Redmayne? 

ive bought this up in another fred, he could be the goods as if he stays at the club, he could lead us for 10+ years. 

only thing is, i would prefer a CB as captain (even though there is only really Go Hard) and not sure about having an inexperienced coach and captain at the same time. 

how good is Gerhardt's and Germano's english? 

Ive been trying to track down interviews with Gerhardt, all have been text. Although I did find something on sbs but that was in swiss -__-

However, all the text interviews i've seen his quotes seem to be with pretty broken english

You know I have found this question a very hard one myself.

Our longest serving players are Nick Kalmar and Jason Hoffman. Neither of which I see performing the role well enough.

Gerhardt is sitting as the best choice behind Garcia, in my opinion, but then again if Garcia is not willing to drop to a reasonable wage, then perhaps he is not invested in the club enough, and I don't want my club's captain to be the man chosen unless he is going to be everything you'd want your captain to be professionally, AND, loyal beyond money.

Gerhardt I am not sold on for only a few reasons. I don't believe he can last a full 90 minutes without reverting away from the 'set game plan' laid out by the coaches. This is something the team did many times last season and I would expect our captain to be the man ensuring the focus is kept by all, and if he can't do it himself then this would be a problem.

His English I do not believe to be an issue. As Alex Terra said when he arrived at Heart, Football is an international language, they all speak it. The captain does not need to yell in-depth instructions at his team, anything he would need to convey I am sure he is already more then capable of.

Other than Gerhardt though, I have 2 other selections.

Macallister, but I find it highly unlikely he will get anywhere near enough game time to play the role in any meaningful way.

Murdocca, I think could be the perfect fit. He will no doubt have the fitness, he has a keen focus, and has plenty of experience. He would be a solid choice to take the armband, with Gerhardt to take the VC role and the two of them would be a great leading team.

He is also a Melbourne lad and I think that is a nice touch, though means nothing on the pitch (in my opinion)

• Like 1

As much as this is sure to piss people off, Gerhardt has only one more year on his contract. Although an extension could be on the cards, I for one would love to see our next captain as someone who pledges his future to the club. Too many clubs change captains all the time and the sense of leadership and responsibility that comes with wearing the armband is often lost in its many transitions...

• Like 2

As much as this is sure to piss people off, Gerhardt has only one more year on his contract. Although an extension could be on the cards, I for one would love to see our next captain as someone who pledges his future to the club. Too many clubs change captains all the time and the sense of leadership and responsibility that comes with wearing the armband is often lost in its many transitions...

Very good point. I'm sure I read an interview at one stage that hinted to me that Gerhardt is on something of a football adventure and that that's one reason why he went off to Canada. So he could well want to move on irrespective of what MHFC might offer him at the end of next season.

IMO we have to wait and see the remaining signings. The captaincy is just another thing we need to get right if we're going to improve next season. 

My list, from first preference to fourth preference:

1. Garcia.   Our best player last year, and he seemed to actually lead Heart at times last season as well. Also seemed to be a good communicator and organiser. Need to re-sign him first, though....

2. Gerhardt. A good and consistent player, who played well when players around him were going through the motions. I think he could effectively lead by example. Although, I don't recall ever having seen him communicate and direct players during a game, which are actions that a captain would ideally perform. I don't think those 2 duties are absolutely necessary, though, and I think Gerhardt would be a good leader regardless of whether he speaks up or not.

3. Wielaert. I don't like the idea of of nominating a new player to captain the team, but if a new player could be a top class captain then I'm not too fussed. And since we got rid of all our previous armband wearers (Colosimo, Fred, Thompson, Bolton), we might need a new leader. Having been captain of FC Twente, when they were playing Champions League football as well, is good enough leadership experience for me, so I reckon Wielaert could come in and do a solid job as captain.

4. Kewell. He would be a captain who leads by example, but I think he could be a real effective captain regardless. Kewell, of course, has played in Europe at the highest level for years. He also has experienced a lot of European success. That he's Australian doesn't hurt as well. Lastly, we might get the best out of him if we give him the armband, and Kewell at his best could be very useful for us.

I think there's a decent chance that Heart will bring in one more leader, and that player might be good value for the armband. So at this point in time, I'm not fussed that there isn't a standout captain. And as I would be satisfied with any of the above 4 captaining Heart, I'm not at all concerned about who will captain Heart next season.

Redders for VC

Wrong thread, this is the next captain one.

Next captain should be either Garcia or Gerhardt. Use as incentive in his contact talks And why is it such a problem to talk about who will be vice captain?

Can see redders being good as captain or vice captain.

Massimo would also be a good pick as either. Hes a melbourne boy, and in his position will be recieving alot of the ball and dictating a fair amount of the play.

Would pick redders over him tho due to him being at the club longer

Redders for VC

Next captain should be either Garcia or Gerhardt. Use as incentive in his contact talks And why is it such a problem to talk about who will be vice captain?

Can see redders being good as captain or vice captain.

Massimo would also be a good pick as either. Hes a melbourne boy, and in his position will be recieving alot of the ball and dictating a fair amount of the play.

Would pick redders over him tho due to him being at the club longer

Redders is not ready yet. He will be good captain material in a few years.

Don't know why everyone keeps pushing for Garcia to be captain, you don't make your best player the captain, you make your best leader/commander the captain. PG is by far the best leader on the field, even if he does insist on continually trying to hit long balls all the time that never come off.

• Like 2

Redders for VC

Next captain should be either Garcia or Gerhardt. Use as incentive in his contact talks And why is it such a problem to talk about who will be vice captain Start a vice captain thread then.

:droy:

• Like 3

Redders for VC

Next captain should be either Garcia or Gerhardt. Use as incentive in his contact talksAnd why is it such a problem to talk about who will be vice captainStart a vice captain thread then.

:droy:

Like 1 post, already dishing lip. Legend.

• Like 1

Captains do not have to be the best player to be good captains. Nick Maxwell's a good example of this.

yes, just lead and get the best out of the players.

reckon, we shouldn't just stop there, there was an obvious lack of leadership on the field last season.  Thompson spoke about it, but they (mature players) couldn't inspire, organise the youngsters on the pitch. 

rob wielart has captained before.  is dutch, therefore english will be decent no doubt.  reckon if he's bossing the backline at training, he'll be our captain

If this guy is any good, and is captain material, I would much prefer him to have captaincy over Patty G, as I think Wielart and Vrankovic should be our CB pairing. although i guess PG could still be captain and moved into DM

Is there a reason Williams wouldn't make a good captain? Team seems to improve when he is on the pitch, consistent player last season (compared to many others) and committed to the club

A bit inconsistent sometimes and while he's a great player and a fantastic clubman, I reckon it's pretty hard to lead your team playing off the wing. 

Skipper should be Gerhardt or Wielaert.

• Like 1

I think it's kinda sad for a club to have to contemplate this much about finding a captain!

I believe that the captain should be someone who was at the club last last season and as far as I'm concerned after the lack of loyalty Garcia has shown it should not be him!

The club should make a decision and they should make it now, whether RG signs or not!

Williams? Hrmmm...maybe, but is he good enough to play every game that he's available?

Gerhardt? Potentially, especially if he's in DM rather than CB

Redmayne? Potentially, but I prefer our captain not to be the keeper.

Germano? Isn't enough of a dominant figure to be captain I reckon

Vrankovic, Walker? Too young and not quite ready

Kalmar, Golgol? Not consistent enough

Hoffman? LOL

• 3 years later...