Melbourne Football

Rob Wielaert

InMyHeart

I've defended this guy and time and time again and was adamant that he'd be a big improver this season but if anything, he's gotten even worse.

Fuck him off and get someone like Nikola Petkovic, someone in the prime of his career who is fit, agile and can defend effectively. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen enough of Rob to be honest. He's had a good career and seems a great bloke, but he's simply not up to it anymore.

I would like Ross Achibald to start ahead of him next week. At least Ross will get better with game time, not worse.

rumour mill is saying Robbie is finally going to be dropped.

I've seen enough of Rob to be honest. He's had a good career and seems a great bloke, but he's simply not up to it anymore.

I would like Ross Achibald to start ahead of him next week. At least Ross will get better with game time, not worse.

rumour mill is saying Robbie is finally going to be dropped.

Archibald, Mauk, Garuccio, Melling et al,

all need a solid run of matches so at least we know what they can give us in future.

It's time to do it because the season will rumble along in the same shit way I think.

I think without a doubt this will be Weilarts last season. To suggest that after Chapmans first game and Archibalds unimpressive 2 halves that Weilarts is last option is a little premature. Yes as a Visa player we may be a able to get a better option but so far our 36 scouts haven't. I think Weilart overall has been average pretty much comparable to Kisnorbo. I think Chapman paired with Weilart would be better. Weilarts distribution is better than Kisnorbo although Kisnorbo offers more aerial security. Playing Weilart and Kisnorbo unless injury to Chapman should be avoided. Archibald is still a little raw but longterm maybe next season Chapman Archibald combination with Kisnorbo backup would work. As it stands I think we are ok with the 4 cbs its now about combinations. Going forward priority must be on both fullbacks. Then and only then can we start to consider a worthy defensive set up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why would we get rid of this bloke? We would have no backup for inevitible injuries and suspensions to our central defenders who are quite prone to rash challenges and yellow/red cards.

Clearly we all like Chapman, but we still need some kind of squad depth in defence...

If they release Weilaert in jan then i reckon they already have a replacement lined up

Why would we get rid of this bloke? We would have no backup for inevitible injuries and suspensions to our central defenders who are quite prone to rash challenges and yellow/red cards.

Clearly we all like Chapman, but we still need some kind of squad depth in defence...

Considering the relatively heavy run of games we have before the break, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he started one of the games before the Asian Cup, just to keep Kisnorbo fresh.

Agree wholeheartedly though: he's hardly giving us value out of his visa spot this year, but unless someone else is lined up, I see him as a required player until his contract ends, considering we practically have nothing else to come in, should Kisnorbo or Chapman suffer an injury.

Archibald is actually a CB not a FB (where JVS has played him)

Correct, I don't think I'd be comfortable with him as our third choice CB though.

Archibald doesn't even get a mention in the playing list of the club website.

That's because he's not a member of the club's senior list. He's on a National Youth League contract.

Correct, I don't think I'd be comfortable with him as our third choice CB though.

That's because he's not a member of the club's senior list. He's on a National Youth League contract.

But he's not listed with the youth players either...?

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/team/y_league

Edited by SF33

He was mentioned on shootout, along with Kalmar, as being shown the door in January (by JA)

He was on the list mentioned to me on Saturday evening, along with Germano and Kalmar. IMO however it's more likely that these releases will be at the end of the season. My understanding is that these instructions have come from Manchester.

But he's not listed with the youth players either...?

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/team/y_league

Hmm. Confess that escaped me! But he's the first named player on the printed NYL team sheet used for NYL matches (see club Twitter), and is the captain if he plays.

Chappy is doing well but PPL need to remember he still young and sometimes even very good young Center Halves need a break here and there because a few silly mistakes in such an important position can sometimes lead to a large confidence problem for a young player.

Robbie is not up to the standard of a Starting A-League Center Half anymore (Some would argue he never has been since he has been in the A-League) but he does fit the description of A-League Center Half Cover.

Edited by cadete

Chappy is doing well but PPL need to remember he still young and sometimes even very good young Center Halves need a break here and there because a few silly mistakes in such an important position can sometimes lead to a large confidence problem for a young player.

Robbie is not up to the standard of a Starting A-League Center Half anymore (Some would argue he never has been since he has been in the A-League) but he does fit the description of A-League Center Half Cover.

He is a good backup CB but I'm not sure of I'd want to use a visa spot for a backup player. I'd rather use Archibald for that.

He is a good backup CB but I'm not sure of I'd want to use a visa spot for a backup player. I'd rather use Archibald for that.

Well I def wouldn't... as if Kisnorbo went down we would be left with Chapman and Archibald and things could go pear shaped very very quickly.

And as much PPL as around here like to reminisce about Good and Hamill as Center Half Prodigies of the Good Ole Days (despite the fact that JVS's Season of Love was more unsuccessful than it was successful) even these two as kids when paired together at CB had a lot problems, brain fades and did not win us many games as a duo.

Sacking Robbie without an adequate replacement with some decent CB experience would be very risky list management IMO.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2