Melbourne Football

Rob Wielaert

InMyHeart

at least its a better situation than Meuwiss. Just been released and will have a full pre-season with us.... Seems like we are targeting a striker as our marquee and will be interesting if we target a visa DM or push paddy G into a dm role and have this dude and vranks as CBs

at least its a better situation than Meuwiss. Just been released and will have a full pre-season with us.... Seems like we are targeting a striker as our marquee and will be interesting if we target a visa DM or push paddy G into a dm role and have this dude and vranks as CBs

If we only sign one CB, start Vranks & play PaddyG DM, Mitchinson looks as our only reserve defender.

We're lacking serious defensive depth and I think paddy will stay a centre half.

If we only sign one CB, start Vranks & play PaddyG DM, Mitchinson looks as our only reserve defender.

We're lacking serious defensive depth and I think paddy will stay a centre half.

Never fear, Mr Utility J. Hoffman can always fill in at LB...

As it stands we have Mitchinson, Walker, Vranks and Patty G who are all considered defenders. Ramsey can play LB, while Mass and Germano can fill in at RB, but atm the defence is probably not ideal and tbh probably never has been since day one, besides the brief and short-lived golden combo of Marrone-Madashi-Good-Behich.

They have obviously recruited Ramsey as a straight replacement for Aziz, and tbh we really missed that drive from the back there, so im fine with that... but I'd really love if we could sign up another big CB with a real presence - ideally one with some hight - because atm we have not one defender over 1.84cm (6ft) and I think that is a bit of an issue, thats why I was kinda keen on Jarosik...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 2

Never fear, Mr Utility J. Hoffman can always fill in at LB...

As it stands we have Mitchinson, Walker, Vranks and Patty G who are all considered defenders. Ramsey can play LB, while Mass and Germano can fill in at RB, but atm the defence is probably not ideal and tbh probably never has been since day one, besides the brief and short-lived golden combo of Marrone-Madashi-Good-Behich.

They have obviously recruited Ramsey as a straight replacement for Aziz, and tbh we really missed that drive from the back there, so im fine with that... but I'd really love if we could sign up another big CB with a real presence - ideally one with some hight - because atm we have not one defender over 1.84cm (6ft) and I think that is a bit of an issue, thats why I was kinda keen on Jarosik...

Haha I prefer Hoffman as a LB over DM! Less ball for him to pass backwards or to the other team.

Yeah I think I'd have taken Jarosik over This chap.

This will be visa spot #3, with one obviously being targeted for a striker it will be fascinating to see of the 5th will be used on a #10, DM or another Defender.

I'd feel so much better about the squad if we signed a Kisnorbo or Madaschi! Maybe if Garcia doesn't sign that's where his money could go.

Edited by billyheart
  • Like 1

Has to be an improvement on Colosimo. Plenty of experience in the Eredivisie at big clubs, As for his height, Tomas Vermaelen is the same height and is an absolute beast in the air, also Tim Cahill. I'd be happy if he can pass the ball to a teammate and not cost us goals every other week ala Colosimo.

I do agree with LR9 on the height issue its something that has annoyed about out CB's in the past,

But I would take a player with the kind of expeirence this guy has had at some decent Dutch clubs over a few extra inchs in height.

I'm optimistic about this one.

• Like 1

With his pedigree of respectable dutch clubs, he looks like a solid signing. Also, given our JVS connection we should be able to unearth the next Patrick Zwaanswijk, that is, the A-League's next top class dutch defender.

It wouldn't surprise me as well if we signed another defender like Jarosik or Kisnorbo, and perhaps played Gerhardt as a DM next season. 

I know Gerhardt is a DM and we played him out of position but he was one of our best players last season so I don't see why we'd change him after doing so well there.

I think with Gerhardt, it's more a matter of how tough and determined he plays whether at CB or DM.

A tough and determind Gerhardt at DM would smash it.

I know Gerhardt is a DM and we played him out of position but he was one of our best players last season so I don't see why we'd change him after doing so well there.

I think with Gerhardt, it's more a matter of how tough and determined he plays whether at CB or DM.

A tough and determind Gerhardt at DM would smash it.

I'd be more than happy to keep Gerhardt as a CB. But, for instance, I reckon if Heart could sign both Wielart and Kisnorbo the club might very well acquire both of those CBs, and use Gerhardt as a DM alongside Murdocca or Germano.

• Like 1

I hope that the club will confirm or deny this signing sooner rather than later.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-strengthens-defence-with-Dutchman/68847

Melbourne Heart FC has strengthened its defensive stocks with the signing of former Ajax and Roda JC central defender Rob Wielaert for the 2013-14 season.

I hope that the club will confirm or deny this signing sooner rather than later.

You bored? :D

Transfer negotioans are complex and take time..  Especially when Europen players are thinking of making a long trip to the little know A League..

Be patient.. 

1, Yes.

2. I know.

3. Impatience is just one of my many character weaknesses...

Edited by jw1739

i'll be interested to see how Weilart goes - http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league/news/1155849/Wielaert-adds-to-Heart-strength

in comparison to Zwaanzijk, Wielart's pedigree doesnt seem as good - Zwaanzijk was regularly playing for a dutch club that was constantly pushing the top 4 spots.  Wielart has been playing in teams a lot more middle table (although that might be a lot more to do with the performance / quality of teammates in either instance.)

Edited by mattyh001

Ask and you shall receive. Good to see the club quickly delivering with this signing.

Interesting to see how the club worded the statement about this signing:

Heart strengthens defence with Dutchman

Wednesday, 12 June 2013 1:51 PM

Melbourne Heart FC has strengthened its defensive stocks with the signing of former Ajax and Roda JC central defender Rob Wielaert for the 2013-14 season.

Wielaert joins a growing list of off-season recruits which includes Harry Kewell, Massimo Murdocca and Iain Ramsay.

Wielaert, 34, has an exceptional resume, with over 350 matches of elite experience with three of the biggest clubs in Holland, PSV, Ajax and FC Twente, in the Eredivise - Holland’s premier division.

The defender has also experienced European Champions League football (where he captained FC Twente), the Europa League and has two international caps for Holland’s B team.

Wielaert, who made his professional debut with PSV, started 22 matches for Roda JC last season.

Heart Head Coach John Aloisi travelled to watch Wielaert play in the Netherlands in May and was hugely impressed by the Dutchman.

“Wielaert has superb pedigree and his experience at the top level is very impressive,” Aloisi said.

“He is a smart footballer and will be an excellent organiser of the team from the back.”

Wieleart said he was looking forward to the challenge of the Hyundai A-League.

“I have played all of my career in the Netherlands and now it is an exciting time to play abroad,”

Wielaert said.

“So when Melbourne Heart contacted me, I was enthusiastic immediately.

“The Club sounds great, the city and the country too, so I am looking forward to giving everything

for this Club and the people around it.”

Wielaert will fill the Club’s third available visa spot.

Player Details
Name: Rob Wielaert [Pronunciation: Vee-laart]
Height: 178cm
Weight: 70kg
Previous Clubs: PSV Eindhoven, NEC, FC Twente, AFC Ajax, Roda JC

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-strengthens-defence-with-Dutchman/68847

I didn't know that he captained FC Twente. And Heart in this statement have really emphasised his leadership and organising capabilities, which is something our defence really needs for next season, as our 3 younger defenders, Ramsay, Walker and Redmayne, need someone to provide direction. Gerhardt might lead a bit by example, by I haven't seen him actively lead and organise our defence (which is probably fair enough, as he hasn't played all of his career at CB).

Look forward to seeing him in Red and White next season.

Ask and you shall receive. Good to see the club quickly delivering with this signing.

Interesting to see how the club worded the statement about this signing:

Heart strengthens defence with Dutchman

Wednesday, 12 June 2013 1:51 PM

Wielaert joins a growing list of off-season recruits which includes Harry Kewell, Massimo Murdocca and Iain Ramsay.

Wielaert, 34, has an exceptional resume, with over 350 matches of elite experience with three of the biggest clubs in Holland, PSV, Ajax and FC Twente, in the Eredivise - Holland’s premier division.

The defender has also experienced European Champions League football (where he captained FC Twente), the Europa League and has two international caps for Holland’s B team.

Wielaert, who made his professional debut with PSV, started 22 matches for Roda JC last season.

Heart Head Coach John Aloisi travelled to watch Wielaert play in the Netherlands in May and was hugely impressed by the Dutchman.

“Wielaert has superb pedigree and his experience at the top level is very impressive,” Aloisi said.

“He is a smart footballer and will be an excellent organiser of the team from the back.”

Wieleart said he was looking forward to the challenge of the Hyundai A-League.

“I have played all of my career in the Netherlands and now it is an exciting time to play abroad,”

Wielaert said.

“So when Melbourne Heart contacted me, I was enthusiastic immediately.

“The Club sounds great, the city and the country too, so I am looking forward to giving everything

for this Club and the people around it.”

Wielaert will fill the Club’s third available visa spot.

Player Details

Name: Rob Wielaert [Pronunciation: Vee-laart]

Height: 178cm

Weight: 70kg

Previous Clubs: PSV Eindhoven, NEC, FC Twente, AFC Ajax, Roda JC

I didn't know that he captained FC Twente. And Heart in this statement have really emphasised his leadership and organising capabilities, which is something our defence really needs for next season, as our 3 younger defenders, Ramsay, Walker and Redmayne, need someone to provide direction. Gerhardt might lead a bit by example, by I haven't seen him actively lead and organise our defence (which is probably fair enough, as he hasn't played all of his career at CB).

Look forward to seeing him in Red and White next season.

100% agree with everything you say,

However I just call it: The Madaschi Effect. :up:

Pretty happy with this signing, he is of good pedigree and we definitely need to strengthen the defence. 

His lack of size is a bit concerning though.

He could end up being the next Zwaanswijk or Meeuwis.