Melbourne Football

Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call it

MaliMate

I bring it up because unibet have a bunch of live betting markets, and people can bet online on these in other countries, but apparently we have some law where you can only bet if you phone them. Strange.

Anyone know why online live betting isn't allowed under Australian laws? What difference does it make if it's online or over the phone?

I can't answer this unfortunanetly but I have noticed Sportingbet have some live markets available without needing to call up but not really the markets you want (eg footy games you can bet on first score type for a quarter up until that quarter has started) If I'm understanding you right, then what your betting on hasn't really started (the quarter), so that's probably the loophole there. Edited by Tesla

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was actually trying to find something unrelated out and stumbled upon some information about the above.

There has been a report which recommended that 'in-play' betting (live betting) is legalised, but 'micro-betting' remain legal (eg betting on an individual ball in a cricket game, or an individual point in a tennis game), because it offers opportunities to bet frequently and repetitively with short intervals between bet and result. Which could make manipulating results easier as well as not really being 'responsible gambling'.

Maybe we'll be able to make live bets soon if this report ever turns into legislation.

Fwiw, on the TAB Electronic Terminals you can make live multis which I do regularly but unfortunanetly: a) it changes price so often that by the time you press accept for the 4th price change, something gets suspended & B) I end up breaking the machine ffs, happened so much recently, cunts have to sort their operations out.

Will pubs ever be able to host other companies EBT's? ie - sportsbet installing some in pubs? Would be great for competition.

I remember Sportsbet were going to bring a few out years ago but it never came through for some reason.

http://www.responsiblegambling.vic.gov.au/information-and-resources/victorias-gambling-environment/landmark-cases-and-decisions/federal-court-of-australia

Basically, only Tabcorp can have EBTs in Victoria.

Not really an expert, maybe some of the older guys can shed some light as they'd have a better memory of the privatisation of TAB, but from what I know basically most the states only really allowed 1 betting agency, and all these online bookmakers used a provision in the Australian Constitution to operate in these states (hence why they are almost all registered in the NT, where I guess multiple betting agencies are allowed). Then when the states realised they cant stop them, they've started relaxing the laws. Also, faced with international bookmakers being able to operate with even less regulation, they've had even more pressure to relax the legislation and restrictions on online bookmakers.

So while they cant do anything about the online bookies, they can still restrict things like the EBTs.

Edited by Tesla

Sportsbet offering refund (cash refund, not bonus bet) again if your horse finished 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the Cox Plate, but also offering special odds on a different horse every hour. They had adelaide at $11 at 10am, since 11am it's been Silent Achiever at $21, new horse at 12, will continue all day. Both those offers work in conjunction with each other, so very good deal.

Edited by Tesla

WTF they had Criterion as the next horse and it sold out straight away and I missed it ffs

Literally had it in the betslip, tried to put $20 on it and it tells me it's been suspended, surely there must have been heavy money coming for it at those odds

1st up in Australia on such a unique track like Moonee Valley the major query. Personally think it's one of the weaker Cox Plates of recent times. How a couple of the 3 year olds got into the field I'm not sure.

Yeah I'd feel a lot more confident for the internationals if it were at another track. Monnee Valley kills me.

So I figured out how cunts got on it quickly, Royal Descent is next but it's not on that first page yet. Same happened with Criterion, wasn't showing on that first page for quite a while.

Waiting for Happy Trails, if they do $20 for Happy Trails I'm in, otherwise I'll bet on Criterion at normal price.

Edited by Tesla

Happy trails at $21 over in 2 minutes  :angry:

Have to get on at 5 on the dot for Faulkner, I hope it's $8-9

It wasn't even 2 minutes, it didn't come up straight away at 5, probably was 5:01 and it was gone at 5:02 when I was placing the bet, I had it in my slip but as I confirmed it was suspended. If I was on a PC I would have had it, but I was on my phone. Really fucking good value that. Oh well.

Keen for Faulkner at $8, I reckon it will either be $7 or $8, not sure what I'll do if it's $7. I'm confident i'll get on it if I want to get on it though, on PC now.

• Like 1

Happy trails at $21 over in 2 minutes  :angry:

Have to get on at 5 on the dot for Faulkner, I hope it's $8-9

It wasn't even 2 minutes, it didn't come up straight away at 5, probably was 5:01 and it was gone at 5:02 when I was placing the bet, I had it in my slip but as I confirmed it was suspended. If I was on a PC I would have had it, but I was on my phone. Really fucking good value that. Oh well.

Keen for Faulkner at $8, I reckon it will either be $7 or $8, not sure what I'll do if it's $7. I'm confident i'll get on it if I want to get on it though, on PC now.

Yeah same ffs I had it in the bet slip!

Going PC for this one as well

It came up at like 4:59:30 and I got on it before 5pm lol. Fuck it, not my first choice, and $7 probably slightly less than I would have wanted, but it's a good price for a good horse and I doubt I'll lose money as it should be in the top 4 if it doesn't win.

Edited by Tesla

Are we sure that the first 4 refund offer applies with the improved odds? I don't think it does..

It does, first thing I checked, as I was skeptical too.

"These selections are also eligible for the Cox Plate Money Back Special - find out more here"

But the money back is only on your first bet (as always with money back), so if you bet on multiple horses with the improved odds, only one comes with a refund., In case that wasn't obvious.

Del Pierre to score anytime @ $15

got on him in rd1 and was rewarded at $17 iirc, great odds for a bloke that is very strong in the air

also like Brisbane tonight, no Petkovic and Brisbane will want to get their season back on track with 2 losses so far

Edited by yelawolf

On Adelaide - He won a group one in Chicago on a tight turning track going the Melbourne way so they set for the Cox Plate after that because they think he should be able to handle Moonee Valley. 

Of course everything else about him is pretty flash... his travelled a lot for his age and always placed in big Group One WFA races.

The Cleaner will set a genuine pace which will also help him as the European Middle Distance Horses /Stayers  tend to cruise quickly rather than sit and dash as we are more use to seeing down here.

However no doubt that there is a strong chance that he will flop cos of the reasons PPL have mentioned and his shithouse gate wont help.

The thing is personally I think the local WFA crop this year is pretty average in that Fawkner is the deserving favourite and the only real WFA star he has beaten on his way to the plate is Dissident and that was because he was found out as a Miler in the Caulfield Stakes... hence I found myself backing Adelaide.

Edited by cadete

• malloy changed the title to Betting/Gambling/Punting Whatever you call itI'mhu