Melbourne Football

City v Sydney - Saturday 1st August 5pm at ANZ Stadium

Harrison

Was actually a great first game back to be fair. 

Wellington were unlucky but Rufer could easily have been sent off in the first half and their downfall had more to Davila coming off the bench and having a nightmare than the referee's decisions. 

Buhagiar's goals were very well taken.

On 17/07/2020 at 9:33 PM, Dezy94 said:

Still two bloody weeks away! Though the Nix were a bit unlucky to lose tonight against Sydney, very good result for us in the battle for 2nd. 

helps that Brisbane lost to Adelaide and Wellington play Perth tomorrow too; massive six pointer coming now that Brisbane are too far back.

On 17/07/2020 at 10:57 PM, Nate said:

Was actually a great first game back to be fair. 

Wellington were unlucky but Rufer could easily have been sent off in the first half and their downfall had more to Davila coming off the bench and having a nightmare than the referee's decisions. 

Buhagiar's goals were very well taken.

thoroughly agree.

and that's the difference between the great and the good teams; the great teams find a way irrespective of the refereeing (although it certainly helps to get the rub of the green).

Id be surprised if we won any of the remaining games. I think we are at a huge disadvantage playing so late and after everyone else has played at least one game. Sydney would have played two games before we have even played one? No way we would win in those circumstances

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Id be surprised if we won any of the remaining games. I think we are at a huge disadvantage playing so late and after everyone else has played at least one game. Sydney would have played two games before we have even played one? No way we would win in those circumstances

Maybe.

Alternatively we've had more time to prepare and less likely to get burnt out, as the other teams have all of their games pretty tightly condensed. Sydney is the only game i think that's a factor for tbh.

I am not buying into any negativity. This Covid end to the season is unlike anything any of the teams have had to deal with so there are advatages and disadvantages all round. I noticed Grant tweaked his hammy last night, castro is out kruse is out, Kone left, heaps of kids playing; winter comp; 5 subs etc etc. 

I will not try and change any bodys mind about anything except to say if you don;t support the team or cant stomach another loss maybe its time to be a passive not commited observer from a distance. 

I beleive we can do it - sydney are now proven to be vulnerable. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've said it before. Our real problem this season has been not taking  points when playing sides who were close to the bottom when we played them. The 4-3 loss to Brisbane stands out as one, and our last hurriedly arranged match against Newcastle away was one we should have got one point.

Sydney are where they are because they won even when playing below par.

We have choked so often in the past it's not funny.

On 22/07/2020 at 2:12 PM, bt50 said:

Maybe.

Alternatively we've had more time to prepare and less likely to get burnt out, as the other teams have all of their games pretty tightly condensed. Sydney is the only game i think that's a factor for tbh.

I reckon you may be right given that all of the games being closer together so might have a different effect. I was just thinking that this is effectively a new season given how long the break was and teams always need a couple of games to get match fitness etc. So where we are coming in with 0 games, everyone else has had at least 1 I reckon we will be a bit behind the others

Edited by Dylan

On 23/07/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dylan said:

I reckon you may be right given that all of the games being closer together so might have a different effect. I was just thinking that this is effectively a new season given how long the break was and teams always need a couple of games to get match fitness etc. So where we are coming in with 0 games, everyone else has had at least 1 I reckon we will be a bit behind the others

Sydney has nearly 10 days to recover before they play us, I highly doubt they will be fatigued. At least they’ve played 2 games already.

Adelaid has 5 days to recover before they play us.

if wellington lose to AU they cannot catch sydney and Syd FC will be crowned premiers. I am thinking that maybe, if they are premiers in whatever scenario and points matched etc,   before playing us on Aug 1, that they might rest some of the big players like lefondra, nonkovic baumjahan  etc so that they can have a break before launching them again during the finals. That might work in our favour to retain the all inportant 2nd place. 

So Good is carrying an injury and will likely be ruled out for Sydney. With Griffiths in quarantine until the following Wednesday it’ll likely be Delbridge and Windbichler to partner in defence. This is where having a strong squad will benefit us. Few other teams could be missing their two best central defenders and be able to bring on players like Delbridge or Windbichler. Hope they’re fit and ready.

Glover

Atkinson Windbichler Delbridge Jamieson

Luna Brillante Berenguer

Wales Maclaren Noone

Edited by Harrison

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

So Good is carrying an injury and will likely be ruled out for Sydney. With Griffiths in quarantine until the following Wednesday it’ll likely be Delbridge and Windbichler to partner in defence. This is where having a strong squad will benefit us. Few other teams could be missing their two best central defenders and be able to bring on players like Delbridge or Windbichler. Hope they’re fit and ready.

Glover

Atkinson Windbichler Delbridge Jamieson

Luna Brillante Berenguer

Wales Maclaren Noone

I'm looking forward to seeing windy (until he breaks down again) he's our best CB option imo

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 7:02 PM, Shahanga said:

How many minutes you predicting? Grella esque? Or more like Hendry?

A nice spot in between hopefully.

Here's hoping for a clean bill of health for the rest of the season!

(Those minutes by grella tho, will go down as legendary)

14 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

God its annoying watching teams like Victory Wellington and Mariners play consecutive games in two weeks while we twiddle our thumbs.

Looks like we'll have Nix ahead of us and Brisbane breathing down our necks. 

It's because we'd played more games than anyone else during the season proper. I think you'd be even more pissed off had we completely finished our season before everyone else and then sat and watched other teams catch up to us.

It looks like we are now fighting for 2nd place with Wellington and Brisbane, with Perth not out of it either. IMO we'll need to take something out of the Sydney match or we will be in trouble, because Welly and Roar have got good momentum.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

I’m wary of drawing too many conclusions from recent matches. The results are all over the place. Just have to win all three and we will be fine but in saying that I wouldn’t be surprised if we struggled. 

It’s an interesting way to end the season. Should be fun. 

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's because we'd played more games than anyone else during the season proper. I think you'd be even more pissed off had we completely finished our season before everyone else and then sat and watched other teams catch up to us.

It looks like we are now fighting for 2nd place with Wellington and Brisbane, with Perth not out of it either. IMO we'll need to take something out of the Sydney match or we will be in trouble, because Welly and Roar have got good momentum.

I think we can safely say Perth are out of the race for third given the current score... They are not up to much without Castro. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I think we can safely say Perth are out of the race for third given the current score... They are not up to much without Castro. 

Not sure if its a case of Adelaide seriously good or Perth seriously bad. Defensively leaked like a sieve Perth. 

Nice to see Bruno on the scoresheet tho

Edited by Dezy94

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Only way Brisbane can get second is if both Welly and City fail to secure 4 points from their last three games. Highly unlikely imo.
Brisbane's last two games are v Welly and Sydney too.
Two horse race between Nux and City for 2nd for me, but potentially the one that doesnt get it *could* drop to 4th if they really drop their bundle.
Perth need to hope us and Welly can't get more than three points, so imo theyre no chance, esp in their current state.

19 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Not sure if its a case of Adelaide seriously good or Perth seriously bad. Defensively leaked like a sieve Perth. 

Nice to see Bruno on the scoresheet tho

Perhaps I might break some hearts here, you will find the answer you are looking for in Osama Malik.

• Like 1

Game Day! Hopefully our years of choking are coming to an end and today kick-starts us on the road to a trophy and a place in Asia. 

To win, boys need to get aggressive with the likes of Ninkovic and Le Fondre and offer them no time and space on the ball. Cmon City!!

All results since the restart have gone our way! Now time to take our destiny into our own hands!! Not having played since March 23rd means no match fitness so I'll be happy with a draw here as a loss will see us drop to 3rd on goal difference.

Playing out of a massive ANZ Stadium will be interesting...our boys should feel right at home with a tiny crowd in a big stadium 🤣