Melbourne Football

City v Sydney - Saturday 1st August 5pm at ANZ Stadium

Harrison

8 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Florian is starting to look consistently good. 

Florian has (finally) stepped up his game this season.

would like to see him score some goals though

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

Brilliant win all things considered. One or two nervous moments but a clean sheet is a great result, as are the two goals. Pretty even performance across the pitch. Maybe Windbichler down back, Berenguer in midfield and Noone up front were the standouts but impressed with the cohesion and stability everywhere. 

TBH - in terms of the A-League Championship, whatever will be will be - I'm just really excited the fact that we're 1 point away from an automatic ACL spot! Who knows what will happen in terms of actually playing ACL next year, but finally...finally we'll have qualified and be amongst the best in Asia 😍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red or Dead said:

TBH - in terms of the A-League Championship, whatever will be will be - I'm just really excited the fact that we're 1 point away from an automatic ACL spot! Who knows what will happen in terms of actually playing ACL next year, but finally...finally we'll have qualified and be amongst the best in Asia 😍

Hopefully if we make it I won't have done 18 hrs work for the day and can make it to the game, it will be brilliant.

7 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure 2nd doesn't automatically qualify us next year. Australia lost a automatic spot, we would have to through qualifying 

A good overall performance. We lost control of the game for the first 10 minutes of the second half but regained it in a polished performance. Glover's goal wasn't really threatened apart from the one time Barbaroussas stood on the ball with an open goal. We did lose some defensive shape during that 10 minutes with quite a gap between the defensive lines, but this was ur first game for ages.

32 minutes ago, moops said:

there hasn't been any really bad performers, there also hasn"t been any outstanding performers, not a bad start to a long down turn.

We’ve had a right back with 35% passing accuracy, however we rate this guy on yellows and red cards so I guess he had a decent game too!

11 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure 2nd doesn't automatically qualify us next year. Australia lost a automatic spot, we would have to through qualifying 

Yeah finishing 2nd gets us a play-off spot, probably in the second round. Would have to win two sudden death matches to qualify for the group stage, the last of which against some quality Japanese/Korean opposition.

But unless I'm mistaken winning the GF still gets you into the group stage I think, or is that the spot Aus has lost? Anyone know?

1 minute ago, Dezy94 said:

Yeah finishing 2nd gets us a play-off spot, probably in the second round. Would have to win two sudden death matches to qualify for the group stage, the last of which against some quality Japanese/Korean opposition.

But unless I'm mistaken winning the GF still gets you into the group stage I think, or is that the spot Aus has lost? Anyone know?

lost, we have one automatic and two qualifying spots.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

Don't count your chickens until they hatch. Let's celebrate when it's mathematically confirmed, not hypothetically... 

51 minutes ago, rass said:

Tbh, we really didn't give them sniff tonight.

Thought we totally outplayed them in one of our most comprehensive performances of the season.

Well done boys, great return to football.

I am pumped for the win too!! I don't wish to discredit our win, but Sydney has nothing to play for in the remaining rounds as they have already wrapped up 1st. You would have to question how motivated they would be given these last games are just 'dead rubbers' for them... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

post game with Sorrenson.

Wait what is this? What a great initiative from the club, the production quality is amazing

Talking City Boys, why didn't you guys get the call? 🤔

Edited by haz

46 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I am pumped for the win too!! I don't wish to discredit our win, but Sydney has nothing to play for in the remaining rounds as they have already wrapped up 1st. You would have to question how motivated they would be given these last games are just 'dead rubbers' for them... 

No, i don't think motivation is their problem. They haven't had a problem in past seasons destroying teams when the premiers plate has already been won.

I just think they're vulnerable. Weasel face Corica isn't as great as everyone thinks he is and tbh, players like Caceres, Retre, King just aren't what i call walk up starters in any team. Shut their fullbacks down and limit ninkovic and they're not that special.

Edited by rass

1 hour ago, rass said:

No, i don't think motivation is their problem. They haven't had a problem in past seasons destroying teams when the premiers plate has already been won.

I just think they're vulnerable. Weasel face Corica isn't as great as everyone thinks he is and tbh, players like Caceres, Retre, King just aren't what i call walk up starters in any team. Shut their fullbacks down and limit ninkovic and they're not that special.

Yeah have a good point too and I agree that they definitely aren't invincible! Certainly this time of the season it certainly doesn't hurt our chances. It will make Sydney think twice if we are to meet them in the Final... 🤔

3 hours ago, haz said:

Wait what is this? What a great initiative from the club, the production quality is amazing

Talking City Boys, why didn't you guys get the call? 🤔

It’s the City live broadcasts which is broadcasted on Facebook and Youtube. a lot of teams are creating pre shows but we did one better as we had pre game half time and post game show which was great viewing lot better than fox.  Great hosts with Julian De Stoop and Thomas. Production was better than fox tbh set was mint. 

matty from talking city was Interviewed  on pre show. 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

A great win but what stood out for me were the rare lapses/errors. The performance was consistent throughout the match so when an error occurred it stood out.

Sydney did have two opportunities - the first one was the offside disallowed goal which was fortunate and also when Barbarousses miskicked, also fortunate.

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

A great win but what stood out for me were the rare lapses/errors. The performance was consistent throughout the match so when an error occurred it stood out.

Sydney did have two opportunities - the first one was the offside disallowed goal which was fortunate and also when Barbarousses miskicked, also fortunate.

Agree. Appears that under Mombaerts we really have become more disciplined and resilient. I'm not a good analyst of the game - too emotionally involved for that - but it looks to me as though the Momby style is some nice sustained coordinated attacking moves and then a sudden long ball now and then - both our goals came from the latter and were nicely taken.

I thought Barbarouses  stood on the ball rather than mis-kicked? We were lucky there.

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. Appears that under Mombaerts we really have become more disciplined and resilient. I'm not a good analyst of the game - too emotionally involved for that - but it looks to me as though the Momby style is some nice sustained coordinated attacking moves and then a sudden long ball now and then - both our goals came from the latter and were nicely taken.

I thought Barbarouses  stood on the ball rather than mis-kicked? We were lucky there.

Agree with you on the too emotionally invested to offer a fair analysis. You are correct, Barabarouses tripped on the ball from a moment of uncoordination, letting us "off the hook" you could say. From memory Sydney didn't create as many chances as we did... 

15 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Agree with you on the too emotionally invested to offer a fair analysis. You are correct, Barabarouses tripped on the ball from a moment of uncoordination, letting us "off the hook" you could say. From memory Sydney didn't create as many chances as we did... 

We are the team on the left (light blue)

image.thumb.png.c34690ce7ff89316a3abc7c1b53b7665.png

• Like 1