Melbourne Football

City v Sydney - Saturday 1st August 5pm at ANZ Stadium

Harrison

17 hours ago, neio said:

Feels like so long ago that we played a game. Expecting the same front 3 of Terra Sibon and Worm, they worked well against the Fury in our last game 

Don't get our hopes up. We will conceed just before half time and then in the last 10 to lose 4-3 😔

Edited by mattyh001

My sense is that final ladder position is less important than momentum. We're not going to get home advantage wherever we finish, but we can go into finals in good form and on a winning streak (as well as having played fewer games than the competition). Recent form will be critical, not season long ladder position. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

My sense is that final ladder position is less important than momentum. We're not going to get home advantage wherever we finish, but we can go into finals in good form and on a winning streak (as well as having played fewer games than the competition). Recent form will be critical, not season long ladder position. 

Home advantage counts for nought without a crowd anyway imo, so i think you are spot on when it comes to momentum. 5 wins will get us a trophy

On 02/07/2020 at 2:22 PM, bt50 said:

Home advantage counts for nought without a crowd anyway imo, so i think you are spot on when it comes to momentum. 5 wins will get us a trophy

And the two clubs to benefit most for having no fans would be us and WU

The situation is changing on a daily basis. If the season really has to be completed, even though the matches will be behind closed doors IMO it needs to happen as soon as possible because I don't think it's possible to reasonably predict what the situation might be in 3 days time, let alone later in July and into August.

Bit of a sh*tshow but it's times like this to be glad we've got a financially stable and professional club setup that can handle a situation like this.

On the match itself, would like to see Susaeta, Noone and Maclaren all start in the front three, should have no injuries after the long lay off. 

Edited by Dezy94
  • Like 1

he might be completely screwed. Wont make his VIC 14 day quarantine then if he is allowed to locate in to NSW at all, will have to serve another 14 Days. that would put him somewhere around close to end of July. So whether he would be brought in that late will depend on injuries i guess. I havent reasd the article cause of the paywall. anybody able to post it?

4 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Bit of a sh*tshow but it's times like this to be glad we've got a financially stable and professional club setup that can handle a situation like this.

On the match itself, would like to see Susaeta, Noone and Maclaren all start in the front three, should have no injuries after the long lay off. 

is noone injured? 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-07/a-league-confusion-as-players-left-on-tarmac-in-melbourne/12429066

Farce.

The COV-19 situation changes by the day if not by the hour (as those poor sods locked up in their housing commission apartments have found), so as soon NSW had been decided on as the "hub" then all inter-state clubs should have moved there promptly.

Edited by jw1739

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Perhaps I’m missing something but why didn’t we just jump on the bus yesterday and drove into NSW?

Presumably left it too late to meet the 12.01 a.m. Tuesday 7th July deadline for people from Greater Melbourne to cross the border. They would have had to leave Melbourne by (latest) 21.00 Monday to make the border in time.

Almost unbelievable fuck-up by the League and the clubs. How people such as O'Rourke keep their jobs beats me.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Even today, it’s 2.5hr drive to the border, you can leave now and still make it. 

No, it closed for Greater Melbourne residents at 12.01 this morning (1 minute past midnight).

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Presumably left it too late to meet the 12.01 a.m. Tuesday 7th July deadline for people from Greater Melbourne to cross the border. They would have had to leave Melbourne by (latest) 21.00 Monday to make the border in time.

Almost unbelievable fuck-up by the League and the clubs. How people such as O'Rourke keep their jobs beats me.

No, it closed for Greater Melbourne residents at 12.01 this morning (1 minute past midnight).

Ah I see.

Most AFL team left on the weekend straight after the Sunday games. Seems like very poor planning from the FFA.

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Ah I see.

Most AFL team left on the weekend straight after the Sunday games. Seems like very poor planning from the FFA.

The regulations are a little confusing to an outsider, perhaps, but given that FFA is in Sydney you would think it could have done a lot better.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-08/melbourne-a-league-clubs-bid-leave-victoria-stopped-coronavirus/12432950?WT.ac=statenews_vic

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

FIIK. Doesn't make sense to me either.

I read somewhere that they focused on Canberra as the NSW exempt wasn’t granted in time and wanted to be out of state. The biggest cock up is focussing on flights rather then just jump on the bus on Monday.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The biggest cock up is focussing on flights rather then just jump on the bus on Monday.

Couldn't agree more. Wasting time getting three clubs' players and staff to AAMI Park and then to the airport, waiting for the flight, then the one hour flight to Sydney...would have taken at least three hours...why did they need to go together? City could have got on a coach at Bundoora and been in Albury in a shorter time.

But that's the A-League isn't it? Focussing on the wrong things at the wrong time.