Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

If Garcia walks out because we can't pay him as much as an Asian club can after we were the club who took a chance on a previously injury prone player, I hardly see that as loyal.

Had a reputation for loyalty at Hull and has been asking for a contract with us since before the end of last season.

"not our style. No player is bigger than club. Our goal is to uncover next Harry Kewell. The circus comes to town & then leaves.” Scott Munn

Guess things change.

Well at least your opinions of Scott Munn and Co. never will...

Not true. I had high opinions of them once....

I was just referencing a point. These quotes come back at you and makes him and the club look foolish.

I am not a Harry Kewell fan, I'm apprehensive about him signing for our club but if it's for the minimum and we still obtain a Marquee than not even I can complain about that.

A lot of whingers this morning!

Harry Kewell is an immense signing and if he's under the salary cap at the reported 48k, then what the hell do we have to lose? We'll still get our marquee, we have a bloke who will bring our crowds to at least 10k, increased media interest which will encourage more fans, more memberships, more shirt sales and most importantly; a hungry and supremely talented attacking player who is one of Australia's best of all time. 

Sure, we all bagged him out when he was at Victory as supporters do but if he joins with us then we should be supporters and support the bloke. Personally I don't have a problem with him having played for Victory seeing as though he was the one who walked away from them :)

Not a dig at anyone in particular, but I'm astonished at the level of vitriol being directed towards HK. Arguably Australia's greatest-ever player, probably no. 2 after Beckham in the list of footballers that non-football Australians have ever heard of. So he played for MV, so he's tried to do the best for himself throughout his career - so what?

People have been crying out for a 'name' player, increased memberships, increased attendances, higher profile, etc. etc. This might be it.

Wait 'til it's confirmed - if it is - and then give the guy a real welcome to the club.

• Like 1

pretty hard to find a better #10 that is proven and willing to come to the A-League. He was quite impressive once he got fit in his spell with the Visitards, if he can replicate that form with us I'll be more than happy. As for bandwagoners, who really gives a shit. Bums on seats and money in the coffers are all that matters, regardless of who's bums they are. Once he pulls on the red & white he's our player and we support him, unless he plays like the Hoff.

Not sure if what I am saying has been said yet or not, only read first page.

Anyway...

He can't play like Hoff unless we decide to turn him into a CB or LB... Is simples.

I don't want him, but if he signs with us (which I feel is unlikely) then I will support him and I hope we will try to earn our trust and admiration as supporters. He must wear our kit with pride! Otherwise he can fuck right off

• Like 1

Positives:

He's Australian and so doesn't take a visa spot

Is still a good/very good player when in form and fit

Will be motivated with a WC year ahead (as long as we qualify)

Warnie and the Fem-bot won't be neighbours this time.

Hopefully the rumours about his minimal pay are true, in which case he's by far preferable to the Hoff at the same price point.

Negatives:

Public perception about signing an ex-MV player may not result in him being a great drawcard.

Injury prone and our training facilities result in frequent injuries

Hasn't played much football in the past year.

He doesn't give an impression that he's a team player and we have the 'star team' ethos rather than 'the team of stars'.

Unknowns:

Where is he going to play and what is our team style? How will he be used tactically?

What if he has poor form, will JA be able to drop him?

Will JA be able to retain his authority as coach when Mehmet and Moe Magilton couldn't?

Will he still be motivated if we don't qualify for the WC?

We still need to sign a good organising CB and a midfield playmaker (unless JA wants him for that role).

We need to get back to our youth development focus, HK may become a distraction from that.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

If Garcia walks out because we can't pay him as much as an Asian club can after we were the club who took a chance on a previously injury prone player, I hardly see that as loyal.

Had a reputation for loyalty at Hull and has been asking for a contract with us since before the end of last season.

We've offered him at least one contract. Should we pay whatever he wants?

We've offered him at least one contract. Should we pay whatever he wants?

Got to look after his family :)

Very happy. The only query I have that someone has already mentioned but no one responded to. What would happen if the Socceroos didn't qualify for the World Cup. All this before Harry would even pull on the red and white?

I'd like to think he'd still play 1 or 2 good seasons with us.

...surely we'll qualify though, it'd be a disaster if we didn't.

Now announce karagounis so we can make headlines. Membership will exceed 10k. Come on Munn

Karagounis? LOL!!! Do we really want a 36 yr old who scored only 1 goal for Fulham playing for us?

Came runner-up in their player of the season award to Berbatov after only playing half a season, he's quality.

Now announce karagounis so we can make headlines. Membership will exceed 10k. Come on Munn

Karagounis? LOL!!! Do we really want a 36 yr old who scored only 1 goal for Fulham playing for us?

Came runner-up in their player of the season award to Berbatov after only playing half a season, he's quality.

He is a midfielder - 1 goal.

I'm sure we could get a player on his wage that is a decade younger than him and one that can convert.

I really don't care about him being ex-Victory. And I don't deny that he has been probably the best player we've ever produced. And for his playing ability, he deserves more than minimum wage. But with my opinion of him, I don't feel like welcoming him into the club with open arms.

However, if he's prepared to play for a reasonable wage, if he's prepared to work his arse off, if he's willing to do the community events and school clinics etc that other players do, and he respects the club and the shirt, he can earn my respect. I agree with the atitude that we're doing him a favour, and he shouldn't be seen as some sort of saviour. Because if that's the case, then I think we'll be disappointed. If we keep Garcia and also have a real marquee lined up, I can accept it and at least give him a go.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Not a dig at anyone in particular, but I'm astonished at the level of vitriol being directed towards HK. Arguably Australia's greatest-ever player, probably no. 2 after Beckham in the list of footballers that non-football Australians have ever heard of. So he played for MV, so he's tried to do the best for himself throughout his career - so what?

People have been crying out for a 'name' player, increased memberships, increased attendances, higher profile, etc. etc. This might be it.

Wait 'til it's confirmed - if it is - and then give the guy a real welcome to the club.

I agree on not really giving a shit that he played for Victory, but the vitriol is very much deserved.  He's a completely selfish twat who's been disruptive wherever he's gone.  He was tolerated because he was a good player, but now that he's not clubs have been running a mile.  Has also shown very little respect for the Australian national team (until we qualified for the world cup and he wanted in).

Having said that, he does bring some advantages and on the off-chance this works out well we can all applaud the club..

• Like 1

He is a midfielder - 1 goal.

I'm sure we could get a player on his wage that is a decade younger than him and one that can convert.

Yeah well good luck trying to find that player.. Karagounis + Kewell. We'd be shaping up for a good season..

people mentioning Garcia - there really hasn't been any indication that he's close to re-signing with us, and like Kewell, he wants to make the World Cup squad. I see Kewells signing on minimum wages not going to hinder the chances of re-signing Garcia at all.

If anything surely it would improve those chances by setting an example, and Garcia may think well if Harry Kewell is signing for Melbourne heart with the aim of making the World Cup, he would want to be a part of that.

How can people not be happy, signing a great player, who is still full of quality for the cheapest we can? it is a better start than Gray for one. Also still have a Marquee/ 3 Visa spots to fill Kewell should just be the icing one our transfer window really.

Also Helger Osieck rates him enough to say he is still a valued member amongst the Australian team ect 

Only read this thread today and already reached my 'likes' quota... So much LOL

I am gonna be covering what has mainly already been said, but seeing as though I was the bloke who used to post lots of hot chicks, my opinion is important!

He is a tosser, but a tosser that can play football. I'd prefer if we didn't sign him, but in saying that, anyone this club signs I will support.

This is my club and I am sure over the journey, they'll do things that infuriate me, but I will still support them regardless, I'm a Richmond supporter FFS.

What is going to annoy me most is the Tards supporters who will ridicule us about signing another of their old players, which shits me to tears but in reality I can deal with.

If he is only on $48k then how can we go wrong? If we keep Garcia and grab another marquee then it will be pretty bloody handy. I'm just gonna watch this one play out.

I don't like Harry, I don't want Harry, but he was an absolute jet of a player and if we sign him, the bastard will have my backing.

• Like 5

Could be both tbh... but I feel like there is/was contact with Karagounis, whether or not it will come to fruition...

Kewell just wants to play football to try sure up his WC spot and could be signed inside of the cap, but I'd rather the club to stand up for its 'philosophy' and integrity and knock back any approach...

That being said could you imagine JD pulled off Re-signing Garcia, and bringing in Karagounis, Kewell and a Patty Kisnorbo..!

The master plan..

Redders

Walker - Gerhardt - Kisnorbo - Ramsey

Germano - Karagounis

Dugandzic - Garcia - Golgol

Kewell

Kepper, Murdocca, Kalmar, Williams :up:

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

i think the fact that this has reached 4 pages and counting is a statement in itself. 

He is still a big deal to have a club... if he is generating this much attention when he hasn't even signed and the word hasn't gone out yet, imagine the publicity if it happens.

You can all have your pro's and con's, but the fact will still remain, he is an asset off the pitch... and with a decent pre-season, could prove vital on the pitch.

Very excited none-the-less about this season.

Only read this thread today and already reached my 'likes' quota... So much LOL

I am gonna be covering what has mainly already been said, but seeing as though I was the bloke who used to post lots of hot chicks, my opinion is important!

He is a tosser, but a tosser that can play football. I'd prefer if we didn't sign him, but in saying that, anyone this club signs I will support.

This is my club and I am sure over the journey, they'll do things that infuriate me, but I will still support them regardless, I'm a Richmond supporter FFS.

What is going to annoy me most is the Tards supporters who will ridicule us about signing another of their old players, which shits me to tears but in reality I can deal with.

If he is only on $48k then how can we go wrong? If we keep Garcia and grab another marquee then it will be pretty bloody handy. I'm just gonna watch this one play out.

I don't like Harry, I don't want Harry, but he was an absolute jet of a player and if we sign him, the bastard will have my backing.

Nailed it.

Could be both tbh... but I feel like there is/was contact with Karagounis, whether or not it will come to fruition...

Kewell just wants to play football to try sure up his WC spot and could be signed inside of the cap, but I'd rather the club to stand up for its 'philosophy' and integrity and knock back any approach...

That being said could you imagine JD pulled off Re-signing Garcia, and bringing in Karagounis, Kewell and a Patty Kisnorbo..!

The master plan..

Ha. If Kewell was the last announcement, the icing on the cake, I reckon we'd love it. But announcing Kewell first has caused outrage! Timing is everything.

• Like 1