Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

I hate this cunt more than most on this forum I can promise you that.

BUT, I would still like to find out more about this contract. You'd assume that it will be minimum 150K which is disgrace unless we can make it back through shirt sales etc.

Only way I would ever accept/cheer for this mut is if he single handledly won us a derby/title.

• Like 3

Ok a couple points need to be made..

If Garcia isn't re-signed coz we weren't willing to give him a little each then munn and co. are fucked in the head. This move kinda points to Garcia leaving.

If somehow we re-sign Richie and Kewell is given a 1 year deal on peanuts then I'm ok with it. Aloisi needs to have the attitude of 'we're doing you a favor Harry' and make him work his way into the team. If he does sign on peanuts, I'd bench him the first game and not give him a minute. Next game give him 2 minutes and so on... Make the cunt work his tits off for this club. I wanna see this 'determination' he says he possess.. Coz if he rocks up to this club with the same shitty attitude at victory then I'll piff coins at his head.

• Like 2

Some good points made already.

Have to remember that the talk around the bigger signing was about someone who "played in the PL this year and who was more like Shinji Ono, not ADP". As for name recognition in this country, Kewell is an ADP not an Ono. Secondly, Kewell turning up at Stoke's ground doesn't equal played in the PL. For me, this means there is another signing on the cards who will be more of a marquee.

We also still have 3 visa spots open.

As to his contract, see the Fox Sports twitter quote I put above. Also, you have to think that Kewell's aim is to make Brasil, so a 1 year deal with an option for another is a perfectly good deal, particularly given the supposed wage, plus the exposure to Friday nights, plus the bandwagoners who have put their fluro at the bottom of the cupboard and got out the red turtleneck.

The guy will also have a longer pre-season with the club, something he didn't have previously and he now knows that it is no walk in the park. He'll be keen to stick it to Holger, so there will be fire in the belly.

At this stage, it has to be seen as a positive for the Club.

• Like 6

Guys I think you're getting ahead of yourselves. How many times has Scott Munn spoken on radio or a newspaper/magazine that we're looking at this player and that player and Heart's looking at doing all sorts of things and nothing eventuates?

This might just be Scotty answering a journalist's question, notice how in the article it says "The club has been in contact with Harry kewell"? That doesn't mean squat. The reporter probably asked him, "Have you been in contact with Harry Kewell?", Munn replies, "Yes, the club has been in contact with Harry Kewell" and the reporter goes and writes an article about it.

Personally, If Kewell can fit under the salary cap and we get to keep Garcia (maybe even as our Australian Marquee) I'd take Harry. Then that'd still leave the "International Marquee" spot open for a big European player.

Edited by Red or Dead

BUT, I would still like to find out more about this contract. You'd assume that it will be minimum 150K which is disgrace unless we can make it back through shirt sales etc.

Only way I would ever accept/cheer for this mut is if he single handledly won us a derby/title.

According to foxfootball on twitter.

@FOXFOOTBALL: It's Fox Sports understanding Kewell will be paid the minimum wage of $48k per season. #foxfootball

pretty hard to find a better #10 that is proven and willing to come to the A-League. He was quite impressive once he got fit in his spell with the Visitards, if he can replicate that form with us I'll be more than happy.

As for bandwagoners, who really gives a shit. Bums on seats and money in the coffers are all that matters, regardless of who's bums they are.

Once he pulls on the red & white he's our player and we support him, unless he plays like the Hoff.

Agreed - I reserve my judgement until the guy is on the park.

"not our style. No player is bigger than club. Our goal is to uncover next Harry Kewell. The circus comes to town & then leaves.” Scott Munn

Guess things change.

Well at least your opinions of Scott Munn and Co. never will...

• Like 3

He may be a decent player despite being in the twilight of his career but in the public perception stakes recycling our biggest rival's biggest signing only strengthens our case for having SULO as a major sponsor as long as the wheelie bins have the 'recycling bin' coloured lids. Hopefully he is on minimal pay. It still doesn't solve our problems in midfield or central defence, where is he going to play?

My thoughts exactly.

Until then I will boo him until my throat bleeds. He is a mercenary with no regard for football in this country. Him being on anything more than minimum wage is infuriating and an injustice to Garcia who earnt his wage demands last year with performances of actual Heart.

If he is let go because of Kewell's signing, I think I am done with this club.

The club thinks that this signing will boost numbers? Do they not know that this guy is the near definition of 'damaged goods'? An egotistical and self entitled brat who only came home because no where else would take him and he wanted to bleed the other team dry. When the going got tough, he fucked off back to the UK.

This signing will alienate supporters of the club who know one or two things about football. The club maybe feels this is will be offset by the same bandwagoning flogs who swelled Victory's crowd numbers a few seasons ago. Give me a crowd full of 10 Cadetes, FB's, Bravehearts as opposed to 100,000 bandwagoners who are just attracted to the next shiny thing.

And as if the club has lulled themselves to thinking he is the same draw card that he was at Victory?

And if he takes up a spot in the first XI purely on name basis then there will be an Aloisi out banner pretty early on in the season. This was our biggest problem last year.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 2

My thoughts exactly.

Until then I will boo him until my throat bleeds. He is a mercenary with no regard for football in this country. Him being on anything more than minimum wage is infuriating and an injustice to Garcia who earnt his wage demands last year with performances of actual Heart.

Doubt the Garcia decision would have anything to do with Kewell if he is on minimum wage.

My thoughts exactly.

Doubt the Garcia decision would have anything to do with Kewell if he is on minimum wage.

Getting Harry as Number 10 for this price,

Could save us a lot of money and a visa spot to use on a Number 9.

• Like 1

Dont know why all these people are sooking over getting Kewell, personally I'm wrapped to have him. So what if he played for Victory a couple of seasons ago. 

He is one of the most identifiable players in Australian football, he will bring in more people to the games, more memberships, more shirt sales. Isn't that what the clubs wants and needs!!

Good sign that they are postponing the announcement, maybe getting close to signing another player and announcing them together. This is nothing but positive news for the club. 

• Like 1

I see this generally in a good light, but a little apprehensively.

Kewell is still one of Australia's best midfielders / forwards talent wise.  I don't mean an instant walk up to the Socceroos, simply that Heart will struggle to find another player with the ability to turn games so easily without taking a visa spot.  Take a look at the Victory v Roar game last time Kewell was here - he turned Adnan (Roar's best defender) inside out all game.  Take a look at the fact he signed and played a three game contract with Al Gharafa - just because he wasn't retained doesn't mean squat.  Simply put he was on an injury replacement contract for Bresciano who had returned to full fitness.  You don't bring a foreigner in like that otherwise.  Even with Meeuwis last season at Heart, was he any worse than (or even that bad that he was at the level of) Hoffman? 

Like others have said, the upcoming World Cup forces Kewell's hands.  He has to be playing (and playing well) to get in the squad (if we make it of course).  If he signs, its because he wants a good crack at it.  That can only be a good thing for us.

What worries me is the uptake from other fans in Melbourne.  Most people have been there, seen that with Victory.  Some will come across, but I don't think it will be massive.  As such, I think the club needs to be careful with how they structure things.  Kewell won't have the same drawing power.  The club will see an increase in attendance, merchandise sales, etc., but certainly not like Kewell's last level when he came to the A League.

• Like 2

But will he perform better or worse with people chanting "what a waste of money" at him?

And when we taunt the visitors with "where's your famous Harry Kewell?", it will be a bit embarrassing when they simply point the finger at him.

I would be happier to hear Garcia, who seems loyal, has a good work ethic and can score goals, had signed a new contract than Harry the Mercenary.

• Like 4

He is one of the most identifiable players in Australian football, he will bring in more people to the games, more memberships, more shirt sales. Isn't that what the clubs wants and needs!!

We all know this is not the case.. Pre evident even looking at people's reactions in this thread.

He won't bring in more players/shirts/memberships - anybody with an interest in him would have gone straight to victory when there was some hype surrounding his signing. Since then he's established himself as a greedy shit cunt struggling to find a club at the end of his stupidly prolonged career. Us signing him will be a deterrent to support the club for most - reinforcing the notion that we are the second rate Melbourne club that picks up Victorys scraps.

Edited by salzy
  • Like 2

We all know this is not the case.. Pre evident even looking at people's reactions in this thread.

He won't bring in more players/shirts/memberships - anybody with an interest in him would have gone straight to victory when there was some hype surrounding his signing. Since then he's established himself as a greedy shit cunt struggling to find a club at the end of his stupidly prolonged career. Us signing him will be a deterrent to support the club for most - reinforcing the notion that we are the second rate Melbourne club that picks up Victorys scraps.

Why wouldn't fans come to the game to see Harry? its common sense that they will. You are seem to be forgetting that many 'Victory' supporters simply jump on any old band wagon and will jump on our band wagon with Harry. 

How is he a greedy shit cunt? He wants a club and we are giving him one, I think people on here are jumping to conclusions to quickly, it really is a disgrace that so many people are sheep here and follow and listen to what any twat on a forum says. Harry IS a legend, not was. We all are very lucky to have someone of his caliber 

Edited by millm103
  • Like 1

This thread sums it up nicely. At one point or another most of us have had a go at Harry, or at the very least chanted "you are a waste of money", so it is understandable how apprehensive people are with the move. But if he is on minimum wage, probably just undervaluing him, then I really cannot see the issue with it. Sign him now, get a proper pre season under his belt, make suer he fits into our game plan and all will be well. He might add another 500 or so bandwagoners which isn't a bad thing either. But Garcia is an absolute must, he plays his heart out and respects the club, you can't ask for more than that.

• Like 1

Geez some overly negative responses on here.

Harry Kewell, regardless of his history, would be great for our club. He's Australia's most famous and best ever footballer!

The benefits just line up:

-He is going to be hellbent on making sure he makes the World Cup squad. This is one of the few instances where that desire works in our favour and not against us.

-He will have a point to prove after being rejected by English clubs and playing in the same town as Victory

-He is that AM Fred replacement we need...badly, and it won't take a VISA spot to fill it now.

-He has shown he can perform at this level

-He brings experience from the highest levels to the club

-He makes our club a better proposition for other signings, just by virtue that they will be in the same side as Harry Kewell

-He scores, we need more midifelders that can score. Our previous AM in Fred was just about the worst shot in the side.

-His profile obviously is huge. Even though Victory managed to take advantage of this first if we have him playing well for us for multiple seasons those name chasers are going to be Heart name chasers, and we aren't in the position to be picky.  

-The increase in media interest will be significant. This is good for the profiel of the club, the profile of our games and it will have a major impact on our sponsors.  

-Financially for the club we are going to see record membership levels and shirt sales. That is a big win, and something that we desperately need.

-His wage shouldn't and won't from all reports be as big as it was when Victory had him. Reports say a very optimistic $48k but lets face it, getting him for $500k is still a win. He will make us a lot of money in return, much more than Fred, Colosimo, Bolton and Thompson would've combined, and he will be on a lot less than those three combined.

Yes he did play for Victory, but he isn't synonomous with them, rejected them and will still have drawing power and quality on the field.

• Like 2

Now announce karagounis so we can make headlines. Membership will exceed 10k. Come on Munn

Was it Karagounis that someone asked Scott Munn about on Twitter if Heart could sign him and Scott replied, "I hear you!"?

He fits the bill as a Marqee and as that "European player who played in the EPL this past season".

Karagounis - International Marquee

Richard Garcia - Australian Marquee

Harry Kewell - Fits under Salary Cap

:wub:

Harry Kewell is on the brink of joining Melbourne Heart on the minimum wage when he returns to the A-League next season.

Fox Sports understands the Socceroos superstar will earn just $48,000 in 2013-2014, meaning John Aloisi's recruitment drive will not end with the signature of the man voted Australia's greatest Socceroo. 

Melbourne Heart CEO Scott Munn is in England and met with Kewell overnight, and only the finer details are yet to be sorted before the deal is formally announced. 

Heart, who are looking to re-build their squad in a bid to grow their membership base and crowds, will continue the hunt for a marquee player, most likely a striker.  More to come ... 

FOXSPORTS <3