Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

UOTYH: I disagree with governments placing caps on utility prices to consumers (e.g. electricity). Once you privatise a utility you have to let the market find it's correct level. If governments want to set the prices, then they shouldn't privatise in the first place, or they need to re-nationalise whatever utility is involved.

IMO people who want to use more electricity should pay for it.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

our goal song is fucking shit 

Totally unnecessary to have a "song" when we score. Last night you couldn't actually hear the song over the noise the crowd made, nor could you hear the noise the crowd made over the song. I reckon any crowd over 8,000 would drown out the song completely.

Edited by jw1739

42 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

UOTYH: Jack Clisby is a better footballer than Scott Jamieson and releasing him was one of the many fuck ups this club has made with regards to player retention.

No fucking way cunt. You've written the exact sequence of words that is as incorrect as could be, not even a subjective view of that sort can be held

• Like 1

I can maybe think back to 1 or 2 games where Jamieson has played a genuinely good game. His delivery is usually pretty horrid and he seems more interested in winding his opponent up than contributing to the team when we're not playing well.

Whereas Jack goes out and gets the job done and has a decent cross on him and is strong in the tackle.

Other than Aziz all our left backs haven't set the world alight and all have improved immensely after they left. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure about Jamieson TBH. His crossing is very poor these days. I'd rather he stick to defence and that we play a decent real winger to go forward - as we did with Wales.

I always thought Clisby played well for us, and I agree that, considering we made at least one unsuccessful attempt to sign him before we actually did, letting him go was a mistake.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure about Jamieson TBH. His crossing is very poor these days. I'd rather he stick to defence and that we play a decent real winger to go forward - as we did with Wales.

I always thought Clisby played well for us, and I agree that, considering we made at least one unsuccessful attempt to sign him before we actually did, letting him go was a mistake.

Thing is that Jamieson was fine when he had Arzani there who was able to create so many opportunities. But when you don't have such an influential winger then you need your fullback to overlap and take players on. I wish Jamieson would do this more often but he props and turns to go backward way too much and kills so much forward momentum. In saying that I've got no issues with his defensive abilities though. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mus-28 said:

UOTYH: Jack Clisby is a better footballer than Scott Jamieson and releasing him was one of the many fuck ups this club has made with regards to player retention.

22 hours ago, jeffplz said:

No fucking way cunt. You've written the exact sequence of words that is as incorrect as could be, not even a subjective view of that sort can be held

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Gooch > Franjic > Jamieson > Clisby > Zullo

EDIT: Attacking ability when playing for us*

Edited by haz

9 minutes ago, haz said:

Gooch > Franjic > Jamieson > Clisby > Zullo

When playing for us*

Tbh i think Jamo has had the best performances for us of that lot, and definitely not Garrucio. And thats not to rave about Jamo in any sense, but he's been close to our best FB so far in a defensive sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think Jamo has had the best performances for us of that lot, and definitely not Garrucio. And thats not to rave about Jamo in any sense, but he's been close to our best FB so far in a defensive sense.

Gooch has been the only LB/RB weve had that was constantly able to beat players when attacking the box/wing.

My list was talking about attacking ability, I didnt clarify that ^

14 minutes ago, haz said:

Gooch has been the only LB/RB weve had that was constantly able to beat players when attacking the box/wing.

My list was talking about attacking ability, I didnt clarify that ^

Yeh ok fair enough. I just clearly remember the days where we used to constantly get turned inside out in the fb positions; what Jamo lacks in attack he makes up for in defence comparatively.

Our goals we concede these days seem to be far more from individual errors than structural or even players getting 'beaten'.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh ok fair enough. I just clearly remember the days where we used to constantly get turned inside out in the fb positions; what Jamo lacks in attack he makes up for in defence comparatively.

Our goals we concede these days seem to be far more from individual errors than structural or even players getting 'beaten'.

I think Atkinson is taking the same form as Gooch, pretty good in attack, but suspect at defending.

Honestly, I think Delbridge and Chapman have been our best defensive LB/RB. But both were horrible in attack

13 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Craig Goodwin was the GOAT

This... 

I was really disappointed after all the other NYL sides passed on him and we gave him a chance to be a NYL player and then even make his A-League debut and then next season he packs his bags for Newcastle of all places. He should shown more loyalty to the club rather than leaving to be with a particular departing Assistant Coach.

45 minutes ago, cadete said:

This... 

I was really disappointed after all the other NYL sides passed on him and we gave him a chance to be a NYL player and then even make his A-League debut and then next season he packs his bags for Newcastle of all places. He should shown more loyalty to the club rather than leaving to be with a particular departing Assistant Coach.

Very difficult issue. It's just not possible for a club - especially one such as Heart/City - to retain all the youth players that it would like to. There just isn't room to do so with all the FFA/League restrictions that we have. Look at the NYL now - just a rump competition of a handful of rounds. Neither is there a proper "reserves" competition for those players not in the A-League match-day squads. So asking for "loyalty" one way without being able to provide it the other way is asking too much of a particular player IMO. Furthermore, we don't exactly have the best record in terms of player retention at a senior level.

In Goodwin's case, history suggests that he made the right decision for himself.

• 3 weeks later...

UOTYH: Politically incorrect though it may be, I am getting very tired of female politicians with their massive chips on shoulders about being female.

Further, IMO any politician (male, female and in-betweens) who decides to abandon the party under whose banner they were elected  (or indeed their independence if they were elected as such) should be required to resign their seat.

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

UOTYH: Politically incorrect though it may be, I am getting very tired of female politicians with their massive chips on shoulders about being female.

Further, IMO any politician (male, female and in-betweens) who decides to abandon the party under whose banner they were elected  (or indeed their independence if they were elected as such) should be required to resign their seat.

The western world is dominated by females in a lot of crucial areas of society @jw1739 This however doesn't suit the narrative of many people, feminists or more extreme left leaning advocates. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wish I had a vagina so I could finally get an engineering scholarship

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That the reason Man United are shit is some reason why Football is Shit.

As soon as a Football Club that has been so dominant for such a long period of time falls down the table you ask all the basic questions and some the answers can explain the reason why things are not working at Man Untied. I had thought about it all and I just landed on the answer that the Club Culture up top and in the changing room was poor.

However its not that. It is because that there is no almost complete fluidity in Player Transfers and the Money paid for Players (ESP Young Players) is almost overs at the end of the day. The Transfer Market is now truly a recognized free market with a highly priced trade-able commodity - Think about these days using whatever rule whether Transfer or often a Loan a deal can be made to switch a player when a switch is needed.

Some Ballers have come and they have seen the market and they have released that if they can build farms of players and then  work to keep others out and also set the prices so basically they have some sort of Legal Cartel of Talented Young Footballers on their hands. It makes sense when all the player transfers become more logical by the minute. This is because the number of trading organisations involved in trading the best young players is now rather limited compared to ten years ago. Its no coincidence Celtic are playing good football... CFG and whoever else have chosen them as a good College Football Club before bigger things.

I dont think CFG control the whole market, I am sure there quite a few other big players than CFG are a massive player who other have to do deals with and when they do.. at the end of day CFG  (the biggest farm of players) will stress with other when making deals is that its in there interest to never do anything that but profit Manchester United. 

Ever wondered why u cant warm to City, its cos its just the bottom paddock in the CFG Farm.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, jw1739 said:

UOTYH: Warning - politically incorrect content.

I couldn't care a fuck what Cody Walker or Mal Meninga think about "Advance Australia Fair."

The dumb thing is that its not like we can have a National Anthem with Aboriginal Wording like NZ and SA, as their are hundreds of Aboriginal dialects.

11 hours ago, cadete said:

The dumb thing is that its not like we can have a National Anthem with Aboriginal Wording like NZ and SA, as their are hundreds of Aboriginal dialects.

The CIA world fact book lists 11 official languages for South Africa. It also lists 3 additional dialects. Wikipedia has an even longer list of dialects.

I am not sure whether we can use Aboriginal languages but the word Kangaroo which is from a Queensland language has been adopted by everyone. So it is not entirely impossible.

18 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The CIA world fact book lists 11 official languages for South Africa. It also lists 3 additional dialects. Wikipedia has an even longer list of dialects.

I am not sure whether we can use Aboriginal languages but the word Kangaroo which is from a Queensland language has been adopted by everyone. So it is not entirely impossible.

Even if there were words in a different language, I think it would be a matter of which surviving Aboriginal language was used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_languages

IMO if you actually bother to read the words in their entirety it is an inclusive song. It mentions every stage in Australia's history, mentions those already here have space to welcome  those who have come across the seas, and that with courage we can combine. It's just that the usual whingers don't want to see it that way. I'd probably change "young and free" to "strong and free," but otherwise I'm for leaving it alone.

image.png.b4c0f0ba55f8463e2386bf8efc24f59d.png

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Even if there were words in a different language, I think it would be a matter of which surviving Aboriginal language was used.

IMO if you actually bother to read the words in their entirety it is an inclusive song. It mentions every stage in Australia's history, mentions those already here have space to welcome  those who have come across the seas, and that with courage we can combine. It's just that the usual whingers don't want to see it that way. I'd probably change "young and free" to "strong and free," but otherwise I'm for leaving it alone.

That is the contentious topic both from an Aboriginal perspective and from a current perspective.

I don't think that it needs changing to much. One phrase to indicate that the Aboriginals were the custodians of the land and that would be it. However, I would emphasize that the anthem is an aspirational anthem, not a recorded history nor one which we can be judged on a daily basis. A bit like the 10 commandments - if every Abrahamic believer were to be flogged for every lie they told, well you get the gist.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FWIW the original poem has another two or three verses which are very british which i think is the source of contention.

Still, those verses were never adopted so its really a moot point,

13 hours ago, bt50 said:

FWIW the original poem has another two or three verses which are very british which i think is the source of contention.

Still, those verses were never adopted so its really a moot point,

Unpopular Opinion: Its our Anthem and I will always pay our National Anthem respect but compared to some other nations the tune is not that great... for example if we could do a swap with the French then I would take it and I think people would get into a lot more.

I feel the same way about the Geelong Song, its our song and I love it... but I know if we had the tune of the Tigers or Blues songs then I know people would get into the singing of the song a little bit more. I take solace that the Geelong Jumper with the Hoops is one of the better ones in the League.

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

Unpopular Opinion: Its our Anthem and I will always pay our National Anthem respect but compared to some other nations the tune is not that great... for example if we could do a swap with the French then I would take it and I think people would get into a lot more.

I feel the same way about the Geelong Song, its our song and I love it... but I know if we had the tune of the Tigers or Blues songs then I know people would get into the singing of the song a little bit more. I take solace that the Geelong Jumper with the Hoops is one of the better ones in the League.

Can add So Happy Together to that as well 

27 minutes ago, cadete said:

I view the french anthem as an outlier tbh; most are crap and thats one of the exceptions.