Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

I'd really like to see a quantitative analysis of this alleged impact of "big names" on attendances. Since I started being interested in the A-League on the formation of Heart I would say I've seen an obvious impact only from Del Piero and Villa.

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd really like to see a quantitative analysis of this alleged impact of "big names" on attendances. Since I started being interested in the A-League on the formation of Heart I would say I've seen an obvious impact only from Del Piero and Villa.

Well a lot of people have opinions, but you actually have data.

So your data shows no impact for Fowler or Cahill? If true that's very interesting 

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well a lot of people have opinions, but you actually have data.

So your data shows no impact for Fowler or Cahill? If true that's very interesting 

I have Heart/City home attendances only That's why I'd like to see what evidence there is. There's a pretty obvious effect of Villa and Del Piero when they played at AAMI. I don't think there's much impact from Cahill on our attendances - they're up marginally over last season that's all. Memberships are up, but attendances not much. Fowler probably did have an impact, and I've read that Dwight Yorke did too, but they were before I took an interest.

Cahill probably had an effect on our two non-league Cup matches in Perth and then Brisbane.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2017 at 10:20 PM, jw1739 said:

I have Heart/City home attendances only That's why I'd like to see what evidence there is. There's a pretty obvious effect of Villa and Del Piero when they played at AAMI. I don't think there's much impact from Cahill on our attendances - they're up marginally over last season that's all. Memberships are up, but attendances not much. Fowler probably did have an impact, and I've read that Dwight Yorke did too, but they were before I took an interest.

Cahill probably had an effect on our two non-league Cup matches in Perth and then Brisbane.

I don't recall Fowler having any effect at all with the exception of a handful of extra people rocking up in Liverpool kits. Dwight Yorke had a noticeable effect because he (unlike most other names that have come here) was able to meet and exceed expectations

UOTYH:  WTF does "indigenous recognition match" mean? Do we have an "LGBTIQ+ recognition" match next? FMD, I'm in overload mode with all these "Weeks" and "Days" that the media bangs on about. For me there are so many of them that the significance of any particular one is completely lost.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

UOTYH:  WTF does "indigenous recognition match" mean? Do we have an "LGBTIQ+ recognition" match next? FMD, I'm in overload mode with all these "Weeks" and "Days" that the media bangs on about. For me there are so many of them that the significance of any particular one is completely lost.

Better than the "blue ribbon cup" which was ironically the game the cops decided to pepper spray half the terrace in city season 1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree with having so many can dilute the purpose. But really, if they want to have it then there issnt really a problem

Edited by Dylan

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

fox sports promoting "defenders round" the other week was filthy, taylor regan was one of the main guys promoted ffs
and why the fuck have womens round after their season has finished 

spoilers for saturday - some chunky chick will walk to the middle of the pitch with a branch while some chunky guy with paint will make noise with a stick 

37 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

fox sports promoting "defenders round" the other week was filthy, taylor regan was one of the main guys promoted ffs
and why the fuck have womens round after their season has finished 

spoilers for saturday - some chunky chick will walk to the middle of the pitch with a branch while some chunky guy with paint will make noise with a stick 

I thought we did that earlier in the season? TBH I quite like that little "ceremony" and acknowledgement that we do each season (IIRC it started when we were Heart and I've always thought it is just something we do as a club). IMO it's done very respectfully and no-one's trying to "make a big thing about it."

IMO it's a bit like Remembrance Day and one minute's silence - it's an opportunity for each of us to think about something in our own way (if we wish to), and not have something rammed down our throats.

Edit: Apparently we didn't do it earlier this season. It is indeed this Saturday. http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-celebrates-cultural-diversity-week-and-hosts-annual-indigenous-recognition-match/1dog4yrb81frh1b24831vkq4co

Edited by jw1739

I'm so fucking sick and tired of all this indigenous BS always being forced on us. Let's be honest, there is fuck all to recognise and celebrate. 5000 year spent inventing a stick, meanwhile on the other side of the world there were countless advances and achievements that lead to modern civilisation. 

If their history actually meant anything it would be respected automatically instead of having to constantly try force people to give undeserved recognition. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

I'm so fucking sick and tired of all this indigenous BS always being forced on us. Let's be honest, there is fuck all to recognise and celebrate. 5000 year spent inventing a stick, meanwhile on the other side of the world there were countless advances and achievements that lead to modern civilisation. 

If their history actually meant anything it would be respected automatically instead of having to constantly try force people to give undeserved recognition. 

You talk about the advances and achievements made in Europe and I get your point... but how did the people in society live as they were being made:

1. In Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire most PPL were Slaves not Citizens.
  2. In the Feudal Systems of the  Dark Ages/Middle Ages most people were Serfs - Basically Slaves who could be called upon to fight in pointless disputes between PPL they did not know.
  3. The Renaissance and Enlightenment saw the Merchant Class finally appear and replace feudalism but eventually this just lead to the Industrial Revolution and a Impoverished Working Class who may as been slaves... hence the several Workers Revolutions in Europe that were a result of such a Society.

Now we can safely say that as European Society was advancing it also for a period of over 2000 years had a class structure where eighty to ninety percent enjoyed none of these advances and for most part would have spent a lot of their time concerned about having enough food on the table.

What were majority (basically all) the Aboriginal people doing through most of this period?

Living in a country with a perfect climate, ample food, next to no disputes with neighbors due to the large amount of valuable land and basicly a life that consistent of: Hunting, Fishing and a hell of a lot of Sex - Clearly I dont like hunting but I know which lifestyle I would choose.

And more importantly why would  Aboriginal Society want to advance?

To replace rampant Sex and Good Hunting for the life of a Slave/Pleb/Workhouse Worker?

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, cadete said:

You talk about the advances and achievements made in Europe and I get your point... but how did the people in society live as they were being made:

1. In Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire most PPL were Slaves not Citizens.
  2. In the Feudal Systems of the  Dark Ages/Middle Ages most people were Serfs - Basically Slaves who could be called upon to fight in pointless disputes between PPL they did not know.
  3. The Renaissance and Enlightenment saw the Merchant Class finally appear and replace feudalism but eventually this just lead to the Industrial Revolution and a Impoverished Working Class who may as been slaves... hence the several Workers Revolutions in Europe that were a result of such a Society.

Now we can safely say that as European Society was advancing it also for a period of over 2000 years had a class structure where eighty to ninety percent enjoyed none of these advances and for most part would have spent a lot of their time concerned about having enough food on the table.

What were majority (basically all) the Aboriginal people doing through most of this period?

Living in a country with a perfect climate, ample food, next to no disputes with neighbors due to the large amount of valuable land and basicly a life that consistent of: Hunting, Fishing and a hell of a lot of Sex - Clearly I dont like hunting but I know which lifestyle I would choose.

And more importantly why would  Aboriginal Society want to advance?

To replace rampant Sex and Good Hunting for the life of a Slave/Pleb/Workhouse Worker?

For sure, they had no reason to change/advance anything and so they didnt, whereas in Europe and Asia people had to. But at the same time, what am I meant to be appreciating and respecting so much? Yes they probably lived a good life, good for them. But it has little impact on any of our lives. And frankly I dotn see the fact they were invaded and had their land taken as that big of a deal, as you mentioned in the other thread, other places in the world had that happen countless times over.

It's just all too much, we have three national flags, we have to thank the traditional owners of the land, we cant build infrastructure projects because some guy carved  a line in a tree thousands of years ago, etc.

All this for a community that is a small minority in a very multicultural country where no other ethnic group gets special treatment (as they shouldnt, thats the sign of a successful multicultural country).

Edited by Tesla

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

For sure, they had no reason to change/advance anything and so they didnt, whereas in Europe and Asia people had to. But at the same time, what am I meant to be appreciating and respecting so much? Yes they probably lived a good life, good for them. But it has little impact on any of our lives. And frankly I dotn see the fact they were invaded and had their land taken as that big of a deal, as you mentioned in the other thread, other places in the world had that happen countless times over.

It's just all too much, we have three national flags, we have to thank the traditional owners of the land, we cant build infrastructure projects because some guy carved  a line in a tree thousands of years ago, etc.

All this for a community that is a significant minority in a very multicultural country where no other ethnic group gets special treatment (as they shouldnt, thats the sign of a successful multicultural country).

You clearly have made up your opinion... and I get that Positive Discrimination is never a great pathway to head down but I think you are going to be more and more constantly annoyed when it comes to this topic as Australian Society looks at the (successful ideas) that countries like Canada and NZ have used to respect their indigenous population. 

As we both know for many young Australians apparently Tony Abbott was a big a Fascist as Franco, and yet even he was putting considerable effort into attempting to have Aboriginal People recognised as our Nation's First People into the Constitution prior to the Turnbull Takeover.

Edited by cadete

11 minutes ago, cadete said:

You clearly have made up your opinion... and I get that Positive Discrimination is never a great pathway to head down but I think you are going to be more and more constantly annoyed when it comes to this topic as Australian Society looks at the (successful ideas) that countries like Canada and NZ have used to respect their indigenous population. 

As we both know for many young Australians apparently Tony Abbott was a big a Fascist as Franco, and yet even he was putting considerable effort into attempting to have Aboriginal People recognised as our Nation's First People into the Constitution prior to the Turnbull Takeover.

TBH the constitution change isn't really a issue for me and I'd most likely vote for it depending on the details, and it would have been good if Abbott did put it to a vote because it is inevitable and I trust him a lot more than others to make it a fair and reasonable reform.

The constitutional change seems like a step forward in normalising things, whereas the stuff I mentioned is just annoying never ending wank.

Edited by Tesla

Just now, Tesla said:

TBH the constitution change isn't really a issue for me and I'd most likely vote for it depending on the details, and it would have been good if Abbott did put it to a vote because it is inevitable and I trust him a lot more than others to make it a fair and reasonable reform.

TBH I think the referendum results could end up really saying a lot about how inherently Racist the populations of the states to the West of us more than anything else.

12 minutes ago, cadete said:

TBH I think the referendum results could end up really saying a lot about how inherently Racist the populations of the states to the West of us more than anything else.

I expect that to be the case as well. Probably not just in the states to the West of us either.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

I'd like to do a lot more research before I'd be satisfied that just because Canada and NZ do something that it's the right thing for Australia to do. My existing knowledge suggests to me that the three countries have some quite significant differences.

7 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Fwiw there are quite a large percentage of indigenous people against constitutional recognition as it rules out any chance of a treaty

Yeah, I know...

I can't see the Treaty Stuff happening due to it being very problematic to do properly from a Constitutional Perspective.

17 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Mixing spit and bark and drawing a kangaroo on a rock isn't history. The Parthenon is proper history farken. 

TBH Cad was right, abo life would have been pretty chill. Especially when you factor in what scientific studies say about their level of intelligence, they wouldn't have over thought shit and instead just chilled enjoying the dreamtime. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tesla said:

TBH Cad was right, abo life would have been pretty chill. Especially when you factor in what scientific studies say about their level of intelligence, they wouldn't have over thought shit and instead just chilled enjoying the dreamtime. 

Hellas is the greatest nation on earth. Everything in modern day society is from us. Forza Hellas. Yes I'm a patriotic cunt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Hellas is the greatest nation on earth. Everything in modern day society is from us. Forza Hellas. Yes I'm a patriotic cunt

The only reason you're relevant is that the Romans were more interested in kicking ass at war and engineering than cultural stuff so just picked and chose what they liked from the Greeks. It's the Romans that mattered not the ancient Greeks

Edited by thisphantomfortress
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The only reason you're relevant is that the Romans were more interested in kicking ass at war and engineering than cultural stuff so just picked and chose what they liked from the Greeks. It's the Romans that mattered not the ancient Greeks

It's true, and I'm fucking tired of cunts like @Baka1 and most of my Greek mates (coming from a Greek) who act like we own/invented the fucking world. Even my family does this and it drives me to drink.

However, if you were to say the wogs rule the world, you would be correct.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I was going to write almost the exact same thing... always chose the Ancient Rome Units over Ancient Greece at University. They were a much more realistic and pragmatic bunch.

Ancient Greece... the Ancient World's equivalent of France in the World Wars in terms of surrendering and not putting up enough of a fight.

Edited by cadete

7 minutes ago, cadete said:

I was going to write almost the exact same thing... also chose the Ancient Rome Units over Ancient Greece at University.

Ancient Greece... the Ancient World's equivalent of France in the World Wars in terms of surrendering.

They're also fortunate in that Herodotus' works survived as one of the only primary sources. Anyone is going to think their badass if they had the ancient equivalent of Tarantino as their source of their history.

Edited by thisphantomfortress
  • Like 1