Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

The American micro brewery scene is next level we just don't get a lot of it here. If the point you were making is bud/coors etc is awful then you're right 

That was the point I was making...

As for Micro Brewery Beer, I am really over entering a Bar around where I live and having no fucken idea what they beers they are selling taste like... once a bartender convinced me to buy a beer that stank of fucken Bacon. (Of course he never told me about the Bacon part just said how great it was).

Alongside this I also hate a certain type of person who claims to like Beer but can only drink Micro Beer and not a VB when you offer them one. These types dont really like beer they are just pretending they do in my book.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

That was the point I was making...

As for Micro Brewery Beer, I am really over entering a Bar around where I live and having no fucken idea what they beers they are selling taste like... once a bartender convinced me to buy a beer that stank of fucken Bacon. (Of course he never told me about the Bacon part just said how great it was).

Alongside this I also hate a certain type of person who claims to like Beer but can only drink Micro Beer and not a VB when you offer them one. These types dont really like beer they are just pretending they do in my book.

Can't drink VB because for some reason I get a vicious headache (ditto with most stouts). Prefer CD at the pub if not driving otherwise I just have a light beer (don't really care which brand they are all tasteless). And sure there are plenty of micros that make crap beer and if you ever have been to the annual beer tastings at either Fed Square or The Royal Exhibition buildings or wherever they have held them you would know that quite a few are just undrinkable.

About 14 years ago I was a wine tasting and one of the most expensive wines was at the time $128 and it was crap so I tipped it down the sink. There was a tool who abused me for tipping the wine down the sink screaming that was a $128 bottle of wine, blah, blah ,blah - so I spoke to the bloke who organised the tasting and I mentioned that the wine was crap and he agreed, saying that the winemaker had a choice to either tip the whole lot down the drain or stick a designer label on it and charge $128 because he knew that there will be people stupid enough to buy it. Last December, I was with some people tasting a beer (don't ask me the name, it was imported) and they were all raving about some Dane who is meant to be one of the geniuses of the beer craft and how excellent the beer was - and it was shit, they paid something like $40 for a long neck of the stuff and I couldn't drink it. And so there will always be people...

7 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Unpopular opinion; I love fosters and it's my go to beer

I have a rule. If i don't screw my face up after the first mouthful, it's good enough............

Or if it's free. Anyone who passes up a free beer because it's 'not good enough' can fuck right off!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Wasn't a fan of big fan of wine until I went to Chambers Rosewood Winery in Rutherglen. Place is a hidden gem, particularly their fortified wines and their sweet wines. Generally I think red wine tastes like dry piss, but they have a sweet red wine that you could drink by the bottle.

16 hours ago, cadete said:

But seriously @Tesla how can think American Beer is any good?

I can understand why people don't like American beer, and that would be for pretty much the same reason I like it, in that they usually don't have as strong a flavour as most other beers.

TBH I'm not a huge beer fan really, but I don't mind drinking pretty much any beer, it's just a couple of the American ones are my favourite.

Like I said earlier, I'd generally prefer a cider.

On 23/01/2016 at 8:46 PM, Shahanga said:

As to wine, Well we like what we like but all wine is not the same, so you might find you like different stuff to what you've tried so far.

Well yeah there are some wines I like, generally they are white wines, but I think there was one type of red I liked though.

What I meant was the majority of wines I've had I don't liek and I don't understand the obsession with it, but to each their own.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Julian Assange is a tosser.

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Wouldnt have thought that was unpopular?

Hes an irresponsible dickhead as far as im concerned

I hope that neither of you is the next Australian citizen to be deserted by his own government.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that neither of you is the next Australian citizen to be deserted by his own government.

You mean the same guy that tried to expose the government without any regard for the welfare of anyone else?

Nah fuck him.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

1. If he just went and faced the music in Sweden even if he was found guilty he'd be out by now.

2. His Wikileaks crap was releasing stuff that seemed to me to be putting extra stress on some pretty dodgy relationships. Frankly it's the sort of thing that can contribute to starting a war. Not clever.

3. He's not subject to arbitrary detention he's on the run from the law.

His still an Australian however much a tosser he might be. 

There are plenty of worse tossers out there who have received far too much assistance from our government.

And I'll bet if he was seen as coming from a "minority" group in Australia he'd have been treated a lot differently.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

His still an Australian however much a tosser he might be. 

There are plenty of worse tossers out there who have received far too much assistance from our government.

And I'll bet if he was seen as coming from a "minority" group in Australia he'd have been treated a lot differently.

Well I only said he was a tosser, which you seem to agree with, but if you thought I didn't have a lot of sympathy for him, you were right.

What would you like our government to do?

Surely "sexual assault" is a serious matter?  Why should he be immune to Swedish law just because he has a media profile? He seems to have some high profile defenders (like Geoffrey Roberston QC) I'm sure he'd have a very good legal team should be stop choosing to avoid being questioned over the matter.

Even if we felt he shouldn't face justice what could we do?  Pretty much no one outside of the Pacific gives a rat's what our government thinks.

42 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well I only said he was a tosser, which you seem to agree with, but if you thought I didn't have a lot of sympathy for him, you were right.

What would you like our government to do?

Surely "sexual assault" is a serious matter?  Why should he be immune to Swedish law just because he has a media profile? He seems to have some high profile defenders (like Geoffrey Roberston QC) I'm sure he'd have a very good legal team should be stop choosing to avoid being questioned over the matter.

Even if we felt he shouldn't face justice what could we do?  Pretty much no one outside of the Pacific gives a rat's what our government thinks.

Swedish definition of sexual assault is very different to what we have here. In the first allegation is that the condom ripped and it is the males responsibility that the condom does not leak, if it does the male can be charged with sexual assault. The second case is also consensual (although here there may be a stronger case as to what the definition of consent is) but again he had unprotected sex. The woman did not immediately report the case but afterwards changed her mind that having unprotected sex is sexual assault.

Additionally, in Sweden you can shop around for a prosecutor to take your case. The first investigation by the prosecuting attorney chose not to pursue any charges against Assange. Several months later they found a new attorney in another city that would take up the case.

In Victoria this case would not get off the ground as a leaking condom is not considered to be a crime.

As far as the Wikileaks saga is concerned, I have always feared governments (and their apparatus) just as much as any other individual with the intent of doing harm.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Swedish definition of sexual assault is very different to what we have here. In the first allegation is that the condom ripped and it is the males responsibility that the condom does not leak, if it does the male can be charged with sexual assault. The second case is also consensual (although here there may be a stronger case as to what the definition of consent is) but again he had unprotected sex. The woman did not immediately report the case but afterwards changed her mind that having unprotected sex is sexual assault.

Additionally, in Sweden you can shop around for a prosecutor to take your case. The first investigation by the prosecuting attorney chose not to pursue any charges against Assange. Several months later they found a new attorney in another city that would take up the case.

In Victoria this case would not get off the ground as a leaking condom is not considered to be a crime.

As far as the Wikileaks saga is concerned, I have always feared governments (and their apparatus) just as much as any other individual with the intent of doing harm.

Whether we think the law is stupid or not, if you or I were accused then we'd still be extradited wouldn't we? 

I would imagine between living in an embassy and receiving donations, Assange has been looked after better than the average Aussie requiring help from the Govt. 

The guy has basically committed treason and he seems like a wanker, don't really care about him personally. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Whether we think the law is stupid or not, if you or I were accused then we'd still be extradited wouldn't we? 

I would imagine between living in an embassy and receiving donations, Assange has been looked after better than the average Aussie requiring help from the Govt. 

The guy has basically committed treason and he seems like a wanker, don't really care about him personally. 

I make no comment on whether the law is stupid or not - I have lived in three different countries to know that each society makes its own laws according to customs and circumstances that are beyond my casual comprehension. Assange can be extradited other than the fact that he is in Ecuadorian territory (the embassy) and so therefore cannot be apprehended to be extradited.

What I am finding though is that because the Swedish charge is of sexual assault then people automatically assume that the charge is the same as in Australia (go over to the Guardian and see that is the case). Secondly, it seems that the concept of double jeopardy does not exist in Sweden (The Economist magazine had an article referring to how Swedes were pissed off that their legal system was coming under scrutiny throughout Europe). Third, Assange's fear is not the Swedish legal system, it is deportation to the USA that bothers him. Fourthly, people are confusing him with Snowden who was the contractor that came across the classified military material. It was Bradley Manning that leaked the material to wikileaks who then published through the Guardian and the BBC. Back in the 70s Manning would have gone to the newspapers and they would have reported it straight as well and no one would have said that the newspapers were committing treason. In any case Manning is serving 35 years in prison.

Why was it important that these information was published? Well back in Vietnam War days, the US military were claiming Vietcong fatalities at such a large scale that it was possible that the US forces had killed more people than there were to begin with. Only when that information became public, did middle USA start turning against the war and the end came for general Westmoreland. Through the material that was published we found out that the american air force were covering incidents such as bombing an ambulance and killing reporters. Western forces are still bombing hospitals, contrary to standing orders - so where is the military discipline? Is that why in the 14 years that the coalition forces stormed Afghanistan they have not been able to produce a settlement?

Never met Assange but I have met plenty of software developers who are full of themselves, so it would not surprise me that he would be a wanker.

What I can't understand is if the seppos really want to extradite him, wouldn't they do it from Britain? Can't see why they'd need Sweden.

If the charge is so shit a man with an army of QCs in his corner will get off and even if he didn't surely it'd be better and quicker than years of self inflicted home detention.

That is unless he's an attention seeking publicity junky of course.

Ps agree he's not guilty of treason.

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What I can't understand is if the seppos really want to extradite him, wouldn't they do it from Britain? Can't see why they'd need Sweden.

If the charge is so shit a man with an army of QCs in his corner will get off and even if he didn't surely it'd be better and quicker than years of self inflicted home detention.

That is unless he's an attention seeking publicity junky of course.

Ps agree he's not guilty of treason.

That is not how the Swedish legal system works, they have an inquisitorial system. So there are no armies of QCs. And who knows what other differences there are.

I think that the only reason why Britain would be able to arrest him is through the interpol request made by Sweden, in which case Britain would be obliged to send him to Sweden as I don't believe the House Of Lords would allow otherwise. Sweden may have extradition treaties with the USA but I do note that the Swedish government has never denied that it would have him over to the seppos.

Why would the seppos want to arrest him? As an example. I do note that Manning is serving 35 years but the helicopter crew that bombed the ambulance for target practice were never disciplined. During the Korean and Vietnam war some of the personnel who violated standing orders in this fashion were court martialled and I believe that one of them remains in jail and will do so until the end of his life.

OUTYH: 8bit is shit. Why the fuck is it always packed, and where do all these white people even come from it's fucking Footscray.

Not like I was expecting much anyway, all these "best burger in Melbourne" places always end up being nothing special, but at least they are normally good, 8bit is actually bad I'd rather have Mcdonalds.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

OUTYH: 8bit is shit. Why the fuck is it always packed, and where do all these white people even come from it's fucking Footscray.

Not like I was expecting much anyway, all these "best burger in Melbourne" places always end up being nothing special, but at least they are normally good, 8bit is actually bad I'd rather have Mcdonalds.

I haven't tried it yet but have been meaning to for a while. What is it about the burgers you don't like? 

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I haven't tried it yet but have been meaning to for a while. What is it about the burgers you don't like? 

I had been meaning to try it for a while as well, and they have a cool website & branding etc.

Anyway, my policy with these places is to have the burger named after the place as there always is one and I take that to be their main (and hopefully best) burger.

So I had the '8bit with cheese' and chilli cheese fries.

The burger itself tastes okay, like I said I really don't except anything special from these places, but still it was pretty underwhelming. What I do expect is more meat in the burger than a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, which unfortunately wasn't the case, especially when it's $9.50 just for the burger. I don't have a problem paying that much or even a lot more for a burger, but it needs to have more meat.

The chilli cheese fries were horrible, the main problem being the fries themselves so I assume even if you just get plain fries they're going to be trash, but the chilli etc was pretty flavourless and bad as well.

Apart from that, the place is weird. The crowd, including the people that work there, are the types you'd see at like bang/next. Part hipster, part weird emo. And the people that work there trying so hard to act like they're having a fun time flipping burgers and wiping tables when they're like 28 years old lol that it's just fucking weird. I hate that fake cheery shit. And my table was fucking dirty as well despite one of the girls that works there cleaning it just before I sat down (this is why you're working at a burger joint when you're like 28 bitch).

TLDR:

Burger not bad but not noticeably better than Mcdonalds or your average fish n chip shop and with a disappointing amount of meat.

Fries bad.

Expensive for what you get and location.

Weird place/crowd/staff.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Over-hyped places are the fucking worst. 

Give me a family owned local burger joint instead, you can taste the passion

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

I had been meaning to try it for a while as well, and they have a cool website & branding etc.

Anyway, my policy with these places is to have the burger named after the place as there always is one and I take that to be their main (and hopefully best) burger.

So I had the '8bit with cheese' and chilli cheese fries.

The burger itself tastes okay, like I said I really don't except anything special from these places, but still it was pretty underwhelming. What I do expect is more meat in the burger than a Mcdonalds cheeseburger, which unfortunately wasn't the case, especially when it's $9.50 just for the burger. I don't have a problem paying that much or even a lot more for a burger, but it needs to have more meat.

The chilli cheese fries were horrible, the main problem being the fries themselves so I assume even if you just get plain fries they're going to be trash, but the chilli etc was pretty flavourless and bad as well.

Apart from that, the place is weird. The crowd, including the people that work there, are the types you'd see at like bang/next. Part hipster, part weird emo. And the people that work there trying so hard to act like they're having a fun time flipping burgers and wiping tables when they're like 28 years old lol that it's just fucking weird. I hate that fake cheery shit. And my table was fucking dirty as well despite one of the girls that works there cleaning it just before I sat down (this is why you're working at a burger joint when you're like 28 bitch).

TLDR:

Burger not bad but not noticeably better than Mcdonalds or your average fish n chip shop and with a disappointing amount of meat.

Fries bad.

Expensive for what you get and location.

Weird place/crowd/staff.

LOL - Well at least you have actually finally encountered the "Hipster Phaggots" you are always complaining about now... and FWIW Footscray has been in the process of Gentrification for over ten years now hence the White PPL you saw hanging around.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Huxtaburger on Smith St is about as consistent as a JVS side, one week best burger I've ever had the next complete garbage. Tuck shop in Caulfield is most consistent IMO

100% agree with this... I gave up on that place years ago.

Went to Merrywell the other week after everyone raving about it to me for years. Ordered the Merrywell burger because the menu said it had been voted Melbourne's best burger a few years back. What I got what a not too fresh bread roll (and I mean bread roll as in the ones that you rip off of a 12 pack of rolls you get from Woolies or whatever not a burger bun), a half-melted cheese slice, a tiny patty of beef, and a little bit of salad. I was not impressed at all, especially due to the fact that it was a mind-boggling $29.

Best burger I've eaten is one I make at home. Using many of the techniques that most of the top burger places use makes a difference. But the secret ingredient is the time and care you take yourself in making it. No shop will ever compare with that. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1