Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

The best tactic is to buy any of the plethora of better board games that are out there, and never play Monopoly again.  The only game I can think of that's worse, is Game of Life.

Game of Life - I used try be a basketballer in that game every time I played that game in 1993 and every fucken time I would get something like the Plumber Card instead.

The best tactic is to buy any of the plethora of better board games that are out there, and never play Monopoly again. The only game I can think of that's worse, is Game of Life.

Game of Life - I used try be a basketballer in that game every time I played that game in 1993 and every fucken time I would get something like the Plumber Card instead.

Was up at a mates beach house a few years ago and we thought we would play the game of life because we found the concept hilarious. No shit, my mate who just got a superman logo tattooed on his chest, with his first go, picks up a card saying "you got a bad tattoo, move back 3 spots and lose life points" Hilarious.

• Like 1

Not sure where to post this (and perhaps I would be better off keeping my opinion to myself at this time) but when its all said and done I agree with this article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-05/ian-verrender-on-alan-bond/6525132

Americas Cup was before my time, I'll always remember him as a crook. 

PPL used to credit him for revitalising Freo as it was done up for the America's Cup, the sad thing the place has gotten really derelict again when I visited a year ago.

I guess his fans can always point to the Dingo Flour Sign.

• 3 weeks later...

The old mcflurrie range at maccas will always be better then the new ones.

I can't see how anyone would disagree with this...

You'd think so, but my younger brother works at a maccas currently, and he reckons the sale of new mcflurries to old ones are 2 to 1. Might just be out area.

You'd think so, but my younger brother works at a maccas currently, and he reckons the sale of new mcflurries to old ones are 2 to 1. Might just be out area.

The problem is they dont use the old machines that they used to make the new versions of the Old Flavours, as they used have some machine that mixed in the Oreo's and MM's throughout the ice-cream now they just stack them on top... 

Since they brought them back I tried them maybe twice and decided getting Ben and Jerry's at a Servo/Coles is a much better option for late at night ice-cream.

The problem is they dont use the old machines that they used to make the new versions of the Old Flavours, as they used have some machine that mixed in the Oreo's and MM's throughout the ice-cream now they just stack them on top... 

Since they brought them back I tried them maybe twice and decided getting Ben and Jerry's at a Servo/Coles is a much better option for late at night ice-cream.

Exactly, should be called 'soft serve with toppings', a mcflurry is meant to be made with the machine and that also at least gives some justification for the ridiculous mark-up. It's almost $5 for the 40c soft serve they sell with a bit of topping put on top, get fucked. Unfortunately I'm not enough of a cheap cunt to do the 'can I have a 40c cone in a cup with oreo (or whatever) topping' trick to get it for like $1, but I'm also not retarded enough to regularly pay $5 for soft serve (which basically costs them nothing) and like 20c of oreo/maltesers/etc. Would only buy if I'm driving somewhere and for some reason really want 'ice cream'.

UOTYH: I dont understand why anyone would go to mcdonalds, hungry jacks, etc. without using the drive through, only reason cunts get my money is when I cbf getting out of my car for something better, or if it's late at night and there are only 3 options: Mcdonalds, Hungry Jacks, and Kebab.

Greece would be better off with a floating Drachma than being on the Euro.

Then, if the economy is struggling, the currency devalues and allows them to be competitive.   As to the mountain of debt they have, well surely if you lend money to people who have no capacity to repay so they can buy your stuff, you must bear some responsibility (simplistic analysis I know, but countries like Greece have allowed the strong Euro economies, like Germany, be more competitive internationally than would otherwise have been the case).  

Anyway, I can't see any good coming from the current situation (hardly an unpopular opinion i know).

Greece would be better off with a floating Drachma than being on the Euro.

Then, if the economy is struggling, the currency devalues and allows them to be competitive.

Theoretically yes, but wages have already been decreased to make their exports cheaper and it didn't have much of an effect, so in practise devaluing the Drachma might not have a huge effect.

The other important factor to consider is that currently Greece actually have a very cheap interest rate, they will not see interest rates like this for a long time. In many ways, their situation wasn't so bad that they have to go down this extreme route of defaulting and leaving the euro zone. I dare say the current government actually had no interest in coming to an agreement and because they're ideologists rather than sensible people they've chosen the extreme route that will leave Greece worse off, as well as the global economy.

• Like 1

I think it was a different story in the past, but I don't see soldiers in the modern day as heroes either. Most are there just to do a job like the rest of us, what makes them heroes? They are compensated for the fact their life may be in danger if they are deployed, just like other risky jobs.

Probably would change my mind if there was a war were Australia was actually under threat though. 

• Like 1

Have to seperate the act of being willing to put your life on the line for your country (which is heroic) and the way governments utilise them (which is generally less heroic).

God forbid we ever see the day they are needed at home I'll be pretty happy they're around though.

• Like 5

I think it was a different story in the past, but I don't see soldiers in the modern day as heroes either. Most are there just to do a job like the rest of us, what makes them heroes? They are compensated for the fact their life may be in danger if they are deployed, just like other risky jobs.

Probably would change my mind if there was a war were Australia was actually under threat though. 

You generally dont get Post Traumatic Stress for the rest of your life from working in Melbourne mate but you def stand a high chance of getting it from serving in Iraq if you Government tells you too.

Whether you agree with the Government's Foreign Policy or not.

Edited by cadete

Have to seperate the act of being willing to put your life on the line for your country (which is heroic) and the way governments utilise them (which is generally less heroic).

God forbid we ever see the day they are needed at home I'll be pretty happy they're around though.

But most aren't putting their lives on the line for their country, they're putting their lives on the line for a pay cheque.

I know a few people that joined the army, and that's basically why they all did it. They weren't good in school and were to lazy to learn a trade or be a labourer, so they just joined the army because the money is decent. 

I guess it boils down to what criteria people use to define heroism. Individual acts whilst being employed as a soldier can be heroic, but I don't consider signing up to be a soldier as a strictly heroic act, the current wave of sexual misconduct cases, rampant drug use etc isn't doing much to swing my opinion either.

But most aren't putting their lives on the line for their country, they're putting their lives on the line for a pay cheque.

I know a few people that joined the army, and that's basically why they all did it. They weren't good in school and were to lazy to learn a trade or be a labourer, so they just joined the army because the money is decent. 

Whilst I am sure there are some duds... like in any profession.

I only know one guy who has come under fire whilst currently serving in the Australian Army and he has my upmost respect. 

So much this, its a real Americanisation of our psyche that ALL troops are heroes. Some were and certainly are but not all.

Same thing applies to fireman, paramedics and cops.

Lol, I know just as many smart blokes who could easily hold down a regular job with a better pay check, who have decided to enlist instead. You know perfectly well that it's not purely the risk that these people take on that gives them such respect, as otherwise we would also be saluting miners, oil rig operators, etc. Yes there will be a few bludgers, but to suggest the majority are is ridiculous.

I guess it boils down to what criteria people use to define heroism. Individual acts whilst being employed as a soldier can be heroic, but I don't consider signing up to be a soldier as a strictly heroic act, the current wave of sexual misconduct cases, rampant drug use etc isn't doing much to swing my opinion either.

And no one is claiming that those who act in that way are outstanding roll models, even returned soldiers will agree that they are a disgrace to the reputation of the force.

However the fact is that by simply signing off their lives to another entity (under the belief that they will be fighting for good), they have already given more than you likely ever will.

And no one is claiming that those who act in that way are outstanding roll models, even returned soldiers will agree that they are a disgrace to the reputation of the force.

However the fact is that by simply signing off their lives to another entity (under the belief that they will be fighting for good), they have already given more than you likely ever will.

What does that statement mean? Belief is entirely subjective, I'm sure IS or the Taliban or the Nazi's (Godwin's law already?) believed they were fighting for good, would you consider them heroes?

What does that statement mean? Belief is entirely subjective, I'm sure IS or the Taliban or the Nazi's (Godwin's law already?) believed they were fighting for good, would you consider them heroes?

I think the statement's meaning is pretty obvious considering the whole conversation was about Australian Soldiers... not about those who fight for ISIS, The Taliban or let alone anything to do with the Nazi's.

• Like 1

I think the statement's meaning is pretty obvious considering the whole conversation was about Australian Soldiers... not about those who fight for ISIS, The Taliban or let alone anything to do with the Nazi's.

Lol, pretty much this. FFS:

If I was a Nazi, I would support those who died believing that they were fighting for the values that my Nazi society holds dear. I'm not a Nazi though, so that isn't the case.

I'm an Australian, and luckily due to our democracy and way of life, not only do we have the ability to decide on whether we join the armed forces or not, but we also generally have the choice in regards to what the said forces are actually fighting for, by being able to decide what we want to stand for.

My little sidebar was simply a way of separating the brave and heroic choice made by the individual who decides he is willing to potentially sacrifice himself for said cause, from the sometimes questionable decisions made by their superiors. Thought that was pretty clear.

• Like 1

My opinion has nothing to do with the military campaigns we're involved in. Simply, they are professionals that are paid to do a job that they are happy to do. They're not heroes because of that. 

Also UOTYH : if you walk around in public, such as at the shopping centre on a weekend, in your army uniform you just look like the biggest attention seeking loser. The day this shit is looked upon favourably in our society is the day we might as well just sign up to be a state of the US. 

The topic is "soldiers aren't heroes".

And belief is entirely subjective. How can you even state that all Australian soldiers enlisted because they believed to be fighting for good? And does their belief that they're fighting for good absolve them of any actions committed after that are not "good"?

Coming from a long family military background I obviously disagree. However I do understand the difference between a bloke getting paid 150k a year on a "peace keeping mission" guarding a poppy field and a bloke volunteering and knowing there was a 90% chance he would end up canned nazi dog food. Personally I wouldn't have the balls or motivation to do either so I can't really stick the boots in. 

The problem with our society is most types who criticise the current government and their soldiers, also criticise the soldiers who died defending this country from the Japanese in ww2 or those who went to Europe in ww1. Those people wouldn't have lasted a day in the some of those conditions and further more have no idea what the world would look like today if fascism or communism had kept growing. Ironically they tend to defend the modern day fascists (ISIS, Al Qaeda) as some freedom fight group(s) who are defending the people of the middle east against the evil occupiers (USA and co.) 

In ww2 the united states fire bombed and nuked to death 10x the amount of people in 1 year than the modern allies have killed since g.bush snr entered the middle east. Guess what, a fuck load of innocent people HAD to die to end world war 2 and thats sad... now you could argue the same tactic would've wiped out all the terrorists we currently have running around the middle east but actually the states haven't gone down the same path, they were not only too soft but they pulled out 70% into the job.  Im not all "merica, fuck the a-rabs" but I know I feel safer with the states having the ability to end the world rather then any islamist group in the middle east. Israel would be gone in a week. Paris, London and New York a week later. Might sound like it would never happen but I don't feel super comfy knowing Pakistan and its links. 

I might've gone a little off topic here but I actually think its got a lot to do with it.

My opinion has nothing to do with the military campaigns we're involved in. Simply, they are professionals that are paid to do a job that they are happy to do. They're not heroes because of that. 

Also UOTYH : if you walk around in public, such as at the shopping centre on a weekend, in your army uniform you just look like the biggest attention seeking loser. The day this shit is looked upon favourably in our society is the day we might as well just sign up to be a state of the US. 

Or you could be working a shift and be on your way home to or from work.

I assure you that every time I have seen this happen, it's not the case.

How about those wankers who pretend to be in the service. Seen some pretty funny youtube clips of guys who clearly live in their mums basements walking around with fake uniforms with the wrong patches on the wrong arms. Very very sad.

How about those wankers who pretend to be in the service. Seen some pretty funny youtube clips of guys who clearly live in their mums basements walking around with fake uniforms with the wrong patches on the wrong arms. Very very sad.

Yeah because you get discounts and free shit in the US if you do that.

TBH it's pretty sad that people go out of their way to expose them as well.