Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

the big (mac) chicken is fucking horrible

I'd say mediocre. Definitely quite a bit worse than the regular Big Mac. Is ok for a one off novelty though.

Beef burgers>>>>>>Chicken burgers though, so what can you really expect?

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

UOTYH: I couldn't care a toss about Tim Cahill being named in the squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifying matches.

UOTYH: I basically dont give a fuck about National Football at all...

I would have traded a World Cup for the Socceroos for MHFC to win a A-League Title any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, cadete said:

I would have traded a World Cup for the Socceroos for MHFC to win a A-League Title any day of the week.

I used to not give a fuck in my youth, over the last 5 or so years it's become increasingly important to me though. That being said, I'm still club before country and I echo your sentiments that I'd trade national team success for City silverware.

If Muscat gets the national team job after Ange I'll go back to giving absolutely zero fucks mind you, no chance I'll lend my support to that cunt in any way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Nah I'm country over club (both Greece and Aus) but agreed with @Embee, if Muscat comes my support for the Socceroos is gone 

Mate. Greece and Australia?  It's either or. It's like having 2 teams in the A League, AFL, Premier League.  It just doesn't make sense. 

Fair enough have a leaning for a second team but having a bet each way is just not on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Jovan said:

Mate. Greece and Australia?  It's either or. It's like having 2 teams in the A League, AFL, Premier League.  It just doesn't make sense. 

Fair enough have a leaning for a second team but having a bet each way is just not on.

Is it though? I just can't make a decision, I reckon I have the same amount of love for both teams. It's hard to pick one over the other.

3 hours ago, cadete said:

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

This is an absolutely enormous call

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

:droy: :redcard:

Half the blokes on here are AFL fans and deep down I reckon most of these guys if they had to pick one or the other they would chose for their AFL team to win a flag over Australia winning a World Cup so its hardly that big a call...

If anything I am being Australian holding these views as the most followed codes of football in Australia by far is a Club Orientated Sport and the second most followed sport is a State then Club Oriented Sport.

FWIW Sporting Clubs played a massive part in the creation of Australia in the way they brought Communities together... hence why are Oldest AFL clubs predate almost all existing Soccer Clubs in England as they were more required by Early Colonial Society.

Edited by cadete

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

So collectively were looking at probably a maximum of 12 months of your life there? 

Mate- I'm doing a whole lot better than a lot of kids I know who basically barrack against Australia. I understand and respect Australian customs, support the national teams in everything, and have plenty of Australian mates. I'm also very proud of my Greek heritage, and don't feel like a member of one culture more than the other. Am I not allowed to do that? 

30 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Mate- I'm doing a whole lot better than a lot of kids I know who basically barrack against Australia. I understand and respect Australian customs, support the national teams in everything, and have plenty of Australian mates. I'm also very proud of my Greek heritage, and don't feel like a member of one culture more than the other. Am I not allowed to do that? 

I support Ireland in European Football and if they qualify I will support them in the World Cup until they come across Australia... but never against Australia.

Mind you I also support Celtic and they are an Ethnic Club.

15 minutes ago, cadete said:

I support Ireland in European Football and if they qualify I will support them in the World Cup until they come across Australia... but never against Australia.

Mind you I also support Celtic and they are an Ethnic Club.

Tbh I wouldn't support anyone if those two played off, I mean I don't think I could support either team. 

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I liked it. I do the fb watch Monday then the Netflix watch Saturday and reserve diffinitive judgment til the second watch through but atm it's doing alright 

It very much has  taken a more "Darker/Serious" stance imo. But I was hoping for a whole 3rd season (or atleast part) where they try and get the Mulan Sauce. Also, do they even plan on making any returning characters, ie. Evil Morty?

Edited by haz

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Half the blokes on here are AFL fans and deep down I reckon most of these guys if they had to pick one or the other they would chose for their AFL team to win a flag over Australia winning a World Cup so its hardly that big a call...

If anything I am being Australian holding these views as the most followed codes of football in Australia by far is a Club Orientated Sport and the second most followed sport is a State then Club Oriented Sport.

FWIW Sporting Clubs played a massive part in the creation of Australia in the way they brought Communities together... hence why are Oldest AFL clubs predate almost all existing Soccer Clubs in England as they were more required by Early Colonial Society.

Whilst I get this, I'm still of the opinion that little old Australia being crowned world champions would be bigger than my club winning a ten-team salary capped competition. That being said I would happily take either!

2 hours ago, cadete said:

If you replace Australian with Victorian in the above then perhaps you are right.

All rugby league fans and players rate state of origin first. Test matches used to be first but the poms went to shit, giving us no one to fear (except motivated kiwis who we know we can beat when it really matters). 

To me club is a light year behind country. 

3 hours ago, cadete said:

Remember Aussie rules doesn't speak for Australia. Nsw and QLD are different beasts 

4 hours ago, cadete said:

Well aware of the general mentality and consensus that forum users on here come to. 

Fwiw I wouldn't have raised the point had your opinion been more balanced. But national success impacts every part of the game here in this country and is the biggest promotion of our game on a national and global scale. To say you don't give a fuck about the national team to me shows an absolute lack of care or ignorance about the sport in this country.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

One problem is that many of us are migrants. It's relatively easy to pick a club in your new country, because that gets tacked on to the club you supported in your homeland (if you had one). It's much more difficult to passionately support the national team of your adoptive country. IMO patriotic pride in your homeland is something we acquire at a young age, and is very hard to give up.

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One problem is that many of us are migrants. It's relatively easy to pick a club in your new country, because that gets tacked on to the club you supported in your homeland (if you had one). It's much more difficult to passionately support the national team of your adoptive country. IMO patriotic pride in your homeland is something we acquire at a young age, and is very hard to give up.

Really. I think most are born here. For the record I wasn't but came here as an infant and regard myself as Australian, a wog Australian. 

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree with your post jw. But I also agree with Jovan. That's where I beleive the  'issue' for want of a better word, is that people in general that are both born here and have grown up with let's say AFL don't have that same connection with the game. Similarly to what you say happens with migrants that come here at a later age, they perhaps lack that connection with the national team. 

Edited by n i k o

On 8/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, n i k o said:

Well aware of the general mentality and consensus that forum users on here come to. 

Fwiw I wouldn't have raised the point had your opinion been more balanced. But national success impacts every part of the game here in this country and is the biggest promotion of our game on a national and global scale. To say you don't give a fuck about the national team to me shows an absolute lack of care or ignorance about the sport in this country.

You do realize Soccer is a just a game...

PPL can be interested in any Spectator Sport, at any level for any number of reasons (and they are) I dont see why they need to be honor bound to all encompassing creed about how to follow a particular a sport if they wish to show an interest. And to be called ignorant if they do not.

Also FWIW the NT were a lot more popular back (remember we even had a couple of Golden Generation Players) when MHFC started and even during the later MHFC years and that did not stop see the club never manage to truly thrive really at all.

And as for the Game needed to be promoted more on a national and global scale... well all that global scale brought me was CFG interest in taking over my Football Club and replacing it with another club who I care less and less about with every passing Season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

You do realize Soccer is a just a game...

PPL can be interested in any Spectator Sport, at any level for any number of reasons (and they are) I dont see why they need to be honor bound to all encompassing creed about how to follow a particular a sport if they wish to show an interest. And to be called ignorant if they do not.

Also FWIW the NT were a lot more popular back (remember we even had a couple of Golden Generation Players) when MHFC started and even during the later MHFC years and that did not stop see the club never manage to truly thrive really at all.

And as for the Game needed to be promoted more on a national and global scale... well all that global scale brought me was CFG interest in taking over my Football Club and replacing it with another club who I care less and less about with every passing Season.

Firstly to a lot of people football is more than just a game. No one is honour bound to follow it a particular way. I never said that nor was that my point. Secondly I never said that you were ignorant but that your opinion stems from EITHER a lack of care or ignorance.

The bottom line to the discussion though is no one  that has the best interest of the sport at heart would ever say they don't give a fuck about about the national team. I never intended to change your opinion but merely to state you don't appear to care about the game beyond your own personal investment into it (via club football paying a membership) 

• 3 weeks later...