Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

4 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Its never too late. Just got back from GC this week after looking at some property for a few days, its fucking great up there. I'm in the process of breaking my lease and getting the fuck out of the rat race. I got plenty of savings from selling my house, I got a shit job and most of my work is online anyway and I spend fuck all money so the "no jobs" negative doesnt concern me a whole lot. I'm not enslaved by marriage, kids and I don't have a massive Melbourne mortgage anymore so I'm basically free. I'm 31 so a bit life experience has given me the tools to be able to hustle work wise and I understand female behaviour. I don't feel I need the support of close friends or family like I used to. Don't know a single person up there and I love that.

I'm starting to realise that this Melbourne superiority complex is gay and its just a coping mechanism for the shit weather and foreign invasion which will eventually make this city fucking unliveable. And ffs I hate when someone tells me theres "no good cafes up there", luckily I'm not a fucking fag so I couldn't give a flying fuck if my food/coffee consists of a woolies roast chook/potato salad and blend 43.  I'm not saying life up north is perfect but since I'm a minimalist outdoorsy guy it suits my lifestyle more than this clogged up fuck hole. Ill probably stand out coz I'm breaded, skinny fat, tattoo less with a conservative hair cut but I'm only a tribal tattoo, gym membership and snapback NBA hat away from fitting in. Currently looking for a ute and rental by the beach and when ready I'm well and truly telling this city to go fuck its mother. 

But you can't go to City games then?

35 minutes ago, strider said:

UOTYH

Cristiano Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time

Probably true. 

TBH I wonder how good some of the past greats would be in modern football, probably not that good. 

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Probably true. 

TBH I wonder how good some of the past greats would be in modern football, probably not that good. 

Didn't Pele play in an era where offside wasn't a thing? Or is that a myth? 

2 hours ago, hedaik said:

Knives have laws and restrictions already placed on their use just like guns do. 

Have you been to the Shooters Expo? You can buy a Rambo machete knife for $59 and walk out no problems

11 hours ago, strider said:

Didn't Pele play in an era where offside wasn't a thing? Or is that a myth? 

Myth. In fact the offside rule was more onerous in Pele's day, because you were offside unless you had two opposition players in front of you when the ball was kicked. The law was changed in 1990 to allow you to be level with the second-last player. The law was changed yet again last year to introduce the "interfering with play" criteria.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tesla said:

Probably true. 

I think pre late mid 70s early 80s but post that I would argue they would have been just as good if not better. Of the top of my head  in no particular order Cryuff, Platini, Dagleish, Beckenbauer, George Best,  Zico, Socrates, Gullit, Van Basten, Maradona, Mathaus, Scifo, Ruminegga, Baresi, Rijkaard, Hoddle, Futre and one my favorites Le Tissier. 

Although the game has changed but not unrecognizably and any of those great players would dominate today also. 

Platini and Maradona are equal if not better than Messi and Ronaldo IMO. Not to even mention the 90s with Zidane and Ronaldo (Brazilian ) also in the discussion. 

• Like 2

Have to add there Jimmy Greaves, Dennis Bergkamp, and my favourite player of all time Denis Law.

These players, plus those you've named above and plenty more, would be even better today. Improved facilities and training methods, better grounds, improved equipment such as balls, boots, etc. etc. Jeez, players in the old days played on six inches of mud with a ball as heavy as lead, and half of them didn't even know how to cut their toenails properly.

24 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You've gotta be kidding Cr7 and Messi are light years ahead of anyone. Even Pele and Maradona don't come close. 

Big call, as inhumanly good as those two players are the numbers they put up in Spain are weighted by the fact that for the most part that league is absolutely hopeless outside of around 4-5 teams IMO.

I do think they're the two greatest players of all time but I don't think guys like Pele and Maradona are that far behind them, had they played in this time in that league they'd be comparable talents I reckon.

I'd like to see a peak Brazillian Ronaldo, Zidane and Henry in that Spanish league at the moment too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You've gotta be kidding Cr7 and Messi are light years ahead of anyone. Even Pele and Maradona don't come close. 

IMO you're forgetting the changes that have taken place over the years. Maybe we need a new thread, but dare I mention Di Stefano and Eusebio?

25 minutes ago, Embee said:

Big call, as inhumanly good as those two players are the numbers they put up in Spain are weighted by the fact that for the most part that league is absolutely hopeless outside of around 4-5 teams IMO.

I do think they're the two greatest players of all time but I don't think guys like Pele and Maradona are that far behind them, had they played in this time in that league they'd be comparable talents I reckon.

I'd like to see a peak Brazillian Ronaldo, Zidane and Henry in that Spanish league at the moment too.

Please read the attached, see what he's done in the Champions League and that negates the "Spanish league is shit arguments"

http://www.football365.com/news/cristiano-ronaldo-the-ridiculous-statistics

3 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Please read the attached, see what he's done in the Champions League and that negates the "Spanish league is shit arguments"

Maradona basically won the 1986 world cup on his own. Cr7 did well in the last Euros and he is an amazing amazing player but Diego is GOAT. 

21 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I don't disagree that he's the GOAT, I just feel you're doing other great players a disservice by claiming they're light years behind. Those stats are otherworldly, I agree, but Champions League is only one aspect of the argument really, Pele's performances for his national team are practically second to none and that's the greatest stage of all.

6 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I would like to see how Ronaldo and Messi would go having to deal with some of the tackles from the 70s and 80s. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, malloy said:

I would like to see how Ronaldo and Messi would go having to deal with some of the tackles from the 70s and 80s. 

This... Maradona was hardly big and he had guys just hacking his shins 24/7.

I think in Modern Football he still would have been near Messi and Ronaldo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

This... Maradona was hardly big and he had guys just hacking his shins 24/7.

I think in Modern Football he still would have been near Messi and Ronaldo.

Just check out his shinpads he used to wear. Those days it wasn't compulsory to wear and many players didn't. 

maradona.jpg

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

UOTYH: I couldn't give a flying f*** about what the Southern Stars are or are not called. I'd just like us to drop that "Caltex Socceroos" thing.

Apparently it's to promote 'gender equality'  that's why they got rid of it. 

How is a cricket team being called the southern stars  demeaning in any way? Christ

3 minutes ago, Hackett said:

UOTYH: The public outcry in response to Margaret Court has nothing to do with Marriage Equality and everything to do with fashionably bullying Christians. 

I'd say it's more along the lines of being offended for the sake of being offended tbh. At the end of the day, is anyone really surprised that a 74 year old Christian woman isn't a fan of gay marriage? She's entitled to her opinion whether you think it's outdated or not.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Is that really unpopular? Seems to be a fairly common view.

I'd say the common view would be more along the lines of what @GreenSeater mentioned above. But I'd argue the Gay Marriage debate has just as much to do with pushing Christians around for the sake of looking on trend. 

• Like 1

I don't agree with gay marriage one bit! I think being homosexual is a disease! This is my opinion! I'm 110% Catholic! 

The world is turning far too PC... and it will backfire when the real men in the real countries take over the world!

1 hour ago, strider said:

I don't agree with gay marriage one bit! I think being homosexual is a disease! This is my opinion! I'm 110% Catholic! 

The world is turning far too PC... and it will backfire when the real men in the real countries take over the world!

Personally I'm a big fan of homosexuals, I dream of a world where 99.9999999% of blokes are gay (as long as the rate of lesbians is substantially lower).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...