Melbourne Football

A-League Fixture 2013/14

HeartinHobart

With the fixture out at 11am tomorrow I think it's fair to say its our most important yet. With the new tv rights and Friday nights now live on free to air our club has the opportunity to reach out to a wider audience.

I somewhat think we might be getting the raw end of the draw though.

• Like 1

With SBS getting FTA coverage on a Friday night they'll be flogging this hard making sure they maximise eyeballs and in turn sponsorship. This exposure provides an opportunity for clubs to run early membership drives. All we need now is for JA and Foxe to wrap up some OS signings.

Will we have 2 home derbies since we only got 1 last season?

Is that how it works? 

Yeah thats what's happened in the previous seasons, would love some free to air games, most likely it will be given to Sydney, Vistards and Western Sydney

And on top of that, I don't think they'd want us at Etihad twice in a season  :P

• Like 3

Can someone post that hearld sun article cause every time i try and enter it, it says i need to sign up for some shit.

dam Gerhardt will be suspended for the first game. 

Hopefully we've signed our imports by than, and they can just slot right in for him!

here you go

Can someone post that hearld sun article cause every time i try and enter it, it says i need to sign up for some shit.

Hopefully we've signed our imports by than, and they can just slot right in for him!

THE Melbourne derby will again be played in Round 1 next A-League season, but it has been replaced as the opening game by an Alessandro Del Piero and Emile Heskey duel.

Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets will open the season on Friday, October 11 before a Central Coast-Western Sydney grand final rematch kicks off a Saturday double-header, with Victory hosting Heart at Etihad Stadium.

Heart will hosts the other two derbies at AAMI Park - the traditional pre-Christmas clash and one in March.

Next season will be revealed to have the latest finish to an A-League campaign when Football Federation Australia launches the fixture season this morning in Sydney.

A May grand final will give A-League players a better chance to make the Socceroos' World Cup squad, assuming Holger Osieck's side qualifies.

Two A-League players have made each of the 2006 and 2010 World Cup squads, with the seasons finishing in February and March respectively in those years.

The early May finish puts the A-League in line with most leagues around the world, with FIFA mandating a May 15 cut-off for domestic competitions before the World Cup in Brazil.

There are more Friday night blockbusters than last season, but it remains to be seen whether the draw satisfies SBS.

It's the first season A-League games will be televised on free-to-air after FFA signed a $160 million deal with SBS and Fox Sports for the next four seasons.

SBS will show Friday night games live on SBS2 simultaneously with Fox Sports, and early indications from Socceroos games suggest free-to-air viewing figures will double those of the pay-TV network.

Melbourne Heart, Adelaide United and strong-rating Melbourne Victory dominate the Friday night slot, which is traditionally a strong crowd-puller.

FFA has been kind to Heart, which played only two home games on a Friday last season.

It will play eight Friday games, hosting five at AAMI Park.

Victory hosts three Friday night games and plays three on the road.

Otherwise, the 27-round fixture will have a similar look to last season, with the draw effectively reversed.

The festive season has proved popular and FFA has again fixture 16 games in 18 days.

• Like 1

Apparently he can serve the ban in an official A-League preseason game, same goes for Aloisi's ban...

Fucking wrapt with that, best time slit imo. Best feeling when you wake up the next day after being on the sause and realise its only Saturday (Y)

Could possibly mean our fixture is offset with a load of Sunday games? Ad maybe another 'away' riegonal game, although I wouldn't mind seeing 1 in Geelong...

I smell FFA an backed marquee man coming our way, with the addition of FTA TV to support it and boost our crowds. More Fri games than visitors?!?!

Maybe not FFA backed, but I've got this feel too!!

Really looking forward to round 1

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

I smell FFA an backed marquee man coming our way, with the addition of FTA TV to support it and boost our crowds. More Fri games than visitors?!?!

Maybe FFA aren't just about WSW after all?

Surely this has to be in the pipelines, particularly if you consider that the 9th placed team has a third of the FTA publicity.

Just out of curiosity - does one else think that having 5 home games televised on Friday nights will keep more people at home on the couch rather than come to the stadium?

Or is this setting the groundwork for the rest of our home games and the season after that? i.e. give Heart more exposure on FTA thus giving people a taste on TV one season and hope they sign up and attend games the next?

Friday night games seem to be a hit with the uni 20 something crowd.

I am not sure if it is so good for young families with ratty kids whinging and fighting at midnight once they are home after a match, following their school week.

I much prefer the Saturday/early Sunday afternoon games when we can go for a meal in Swan St or a BBQ by the Yarra before hand.

Then again, Friday nights we could just stay home and watch on the telly. Pass the sauce will you.

I am not sure if it is so good for young families with ratty kids whinging and fighting at midnight once they are home after a match, following their school week.

I much prefer the Saturday/early Sunday afternoon games when we can go for a meal in Swan St or a BBQ by the Yarra before hand.

Then again, Friday nights we could just stay home and watch on the telly. Pass the sauce will you.

You serious?

When I was at College I spent every friday night in some Savers Made Costume drunk as fuck embrassing myself in front of women that I would have to sit across a table from come Saturday Dinner.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity - does one else think that having 5 home games televised on Friday nights will keep more people at home on the couch rather than come to the stadium?

Or is this setting the groundwork for the rest of our home games and the season after that? i.e. give Heart more exposure on FTA thus giving people a taste on TV one season and hope they sign up and attend games the next?

Doesn't matter if they stay home, as long as they buy memberships. As far as i know, we don't get extra money for people coming through the gate, we get it for selling memberships.

IMO it's the good old Catch-22. I happen to like the genuine evening kick-offs, especially at the height of summer, and I also like Fridays for other reasons. But I can see a lot of disincentives for the casuals.

Time will tell whether this is a good move for Heart or not.

IMO it's the good old Catch-22. I happen to like the genuine evening kick-offs, especially at the height of summer, and I also like Fridays for other reasons. But I can see a lot of disincentives for the casuals.

Time will tell whether this is a good move for Heart or not.

All research over the past 30 years has indicated that despite what most people would logically think that Live TV coverage of a sporting event usually has a minimum effect on crowd numbers so I expect this will be the same case with A League games.