Melbourne Football

Home Owners

dRoy

A thread to talk about all things to do with owning a Home, potentially owning a home, and everything else in between.

This Article doesnt do me any favours.

Im about 6 months off my savings target for buying a home. So it looks like I will miss out on the $7000 FHB grant for established homes. I dont intend building my first home, there is not a lot of options to buy land in the area I'm keen on.

Anyone else currently saving for a house?

Live in Gippsland, pay fuck all for 3 b.r house on 1/2 acre block in the middle of town. Great Success.

I hope you're not talking about Drouin, as Warragul is clearly the better town in Gippsland

Edited by Ando
  • Like 1

Live in Gippsland, pay fuck all for 3 b.r house on 1/2 acre block in the middle of town. Great Success.

I hope you're not talking about Drouin, as Warragul is clearly the better town in Gippsland

I wouldn't even let my dog live in Drouin. Newborough, the utopia of the LaTrobe Valley, the only place I'd live.

I wouldn't even let my dog live in Drouin. Newborough, the utopia of the LaTrobe Valley, the only place I'd live.

But that's where Dale Thomas is from!

Been looking at places for a few months or so now and Im starting to lean towards building. Looked at some display homes this weekend and fuck they are beautiful. I know they suck you in with all the modern furniture, open living and overboard decked alfresco's but i was loving it. You can pick up a mint 3bed+study, 2bathroom double garage for 170k (driveway, fencing, fitted and landscaped). Land shouldn't cost me more than 230/40k, so 400k for a brand spanker in an area we both love.. Considering.

Buying is pissing me off coz every mother fucker thinks their place is a palace and agents are cunts. Love it when I go to an open and the agent says the "place wont last long for this amazing price" .. I ask how long its been on the market at the current price.. "6 weeks "... How many offers then.. "Ummm... none so far but im expecting a few later today". Embarrassing.

Buying is pissing me off coz every mother fucker thinks their place is a palace and agents are cunts. Love it when I go to an open and the agent says the "place wont last long for this amazing price" .. I ask how long its been on the market at the current price.. "6 weeks "... How many offers then.. "Ummm... none so far but im expecting a few later today". Embarrassing.

Lol. This.

Half the places I'm looking at are like $40-$50k over valued. People can't sell it for that much in this market.

I'm actually going to an inspection today, place has been on the market for ages, and only 1 picture is on the listing. Agent says the pictures don't make it look good, and told me they want X amount for it.

Nek minnit, there's an offer been made, so I should hurry up. :droy: agents.

• Like 1

Truganina sounds like a police task force name.

Sounds like bogan HQ to me lol!

I actually do some work up there, it's a absolute shithole. The houses built up there remind me of legoland, basically the same house over and over again.

House quality up there is shit IMO.

And trying to get out of all the streets is a nightmare too. Instead of like you know, trying to do the intelligent thing and having many exits to get out of streets, Most streets lead to one exit so basically at 8am every morning there's a shit tone of traffic.

Buy the best house you can afford. This will pay off later in life.

When i say afford i dont mean the amount the bank will lend you,  Dont borrow much more than 2 * yours+your misses annual income.

Remember you got to live.

First house probably wont be a mansion, but you will be able to move up later in life. 

Aim for Location over a Fancy place. (Unless thats what you want)

Most good locations have no land left.

Over time most suburbs flucuate in value, as prices move. Whats cheap now will go up when all other suburbs get to expensive

From what ive seen lately its cheaper to buy an existing house than build exactly the same one as house prices seem to have dropped.

Also if you build a house factor in the extras like carpet, curtains , driveway etc etc (b/w 20 and 50k).

Anyhow thats my experience. (Have built and bought a few).

Have Fun

• Like 2

Buy the best house you can afford. This will pay off later in life.

When i say afford i dont mean the amount the bank will lend you, Dont borrow much more than 2 * yours+your misses annual income.

Remember you got to live.

First house probably wont be a mansion, but you will be able to move up later in life.

Aim for Location over a Fancy place. (Unless thats what you want)

Most good locations have no land left.

Over time most suburbs flucuate in value, as prices move. Whats cheap now will go up when all other suburbs get to expensive

From what ive seen lately its cheaper to buy an existing house than build exactly the same one as house prices seem to have dropped.

Also if you build a house factor in the extras like carpet, curtains , driveway etc etc (b/w 20 and 50k).

Anyhow thats my experience. (Have built and bought a few).

Have Fun

Good advice.

For us location was everything. I'm happy with 4 bed 2 livings with standard inclusions. Our block is 455sqm so it's not big by any means but it's prefect for the size house and backyard I'm after. We've budgeted 390-400k turn key. Which includes driveway, site costs and all the other bs that comes with building.

I kinda see it as a good time to build due to builders going nuts over peoples business. I'm confident I have the skills to save 10-15k just by shopping around. Obviously workmanship is a factor but I have the paitence to get the deal I want. Should be fun but also a massive head fuck of a 6 months coming up.

But that's where Dale Thomas is from!

It's the home of our lord G Ablett snr..

Thinking of saving more and buying a 2br place in Oakleigh/Murrumbeena area.

The more I save, the closer I can buy to the city (along the train line is the direction I'm going). Currently at funds that can get me a place at Noble Park.

• 2 months later...

A few good sites:

http://www.refindhouseprices.com

http://www.onthehouse.com.au

http://www.oldlistings.com.au

Or a hack I just found.

I like to look at the image URLs. For example:

That picture was uploaded to the website on 04 Nov 2010.

Or

That picture was uploaded at 2:17.37pm, 07 March 2011.

Unless they updated the pictures the listing is likely as old as the date the pictures were added.

Depending on your browser, right click the images and select 'copy image address' and then paste somewhere to see the URL.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs help financing their home, I know a good mortgage broker that will handle pretty much everything for you, and he doesn't charge you anything as the banks are the ones that pay him.

Interested.

Would he be able to organise a mortgage for someone who isn't working full-time or doesn't have stable job..? 

Pretty much the only thing holding me back from making another investment.

Edited by FB.

If anyone needs help financing their home, I know a good mortgage broker that will handle pretty much everything for you, and he doesn't charge you anything as the banks are the ones that pay him.

Interested.

Would he be able to organise a mortgage for someone who isn't working full-time or doesn't have stable job..? 

Pretty much the only thing holding me back from making another investment.

No idea mate, I can pass on his details and you can shoot him an email, won't hurt to ask.

Isnt that just what a normal broker does? Ive never heard of a mortgage broker charging anyone.

Isnt that just what a normal broker does? Ive never heard of a mortgage broker charging anyone.

I assumed it was standard too, wasn't the point of my post to say it was a deal or anything, guy asked me if I knew anyone that might require his services, thread came to mind, I posted.

I assumed it was standard too, wasn't the point of my post to say it was a deal or anything, guy asked me if I knew anyone that might require his services, thread came to mind, I posted.

How dare you try and help others... Shame on you!