Melbourne Football

Sponsors

kontra.11

Interesting.

Certainly is good seeing some good sponsors on board this year though. Let's hope that continues to build if we eventually get some success.

It's hard to see what value we currently offer though with less media than MV, along with smaller crowds and TV viewer numbers. The value proposition needs to build.

They've done some research.

All our visa players get injured for major parts of each season, being unable to train or play they end up on long distance calls most of the time, win win scenario.

• Like 1

every club has been making the same announcement re telstra today

Yep, including Melbourne City 4 clubs: Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanders, Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City. Although no victory.

Telstra and Victory already had a partnership. I have attended official functions under the Victory/Telstra partnership.

Yep, including Melbourne City 4 clubs: Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanders, Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City. Although no victory.

Telstra and Victory already had a partnership. I have attended official functions under the Victory/Telstra partnership.

Now I know why you don't have an avatar.

Telstra and Victory already had a partnership. I have attended official functions under the Victory/Telstra partnership. Get out.

Telstra and Victory already had a partnership. I have attended official functions under the Victory/Telstra partnership.Get out.

Now.

Telstra General Manager, Matt McCann said Telstra is proud to expand its Football partnership with Melbourne City FC.

“We’re extremely excited about working with this team at a community level to grow the sport and connect fans with the game they love.”

Sounds like we're really special to them...

Get out.

Now.

It could be worse. We could have an employment agency as a major sponsor.

Get out.

Now.

I don't know...that could prove useful when we want to move players on.

• Like 1

Get out.

Now.

You know the next step for them is centrelink as a sponsor

Get out.

Now.

You know the next step for them is centrelink as a sponsor

i though the Central Coast were AKA The Centrelinks?

Yep, including Melbourne City 4 clubs: Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanders, Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City. Although no victory.Telstra and Victory already had a partnership. I have attended official functions under the Victory/Telstra partnership.Get out.Now.It could be worse. We could have an employment agency as a major sponsor.I actually know the owner of that cti company. His wife was best friends with my sister growing up. He's an ex cop and a cunt of a bloke.

Seriously not speaking shit this time.

Edited by sheepdog

• 1 month later...

One of Melbourne City's sponsors, FX Primus, has been hit by the ASIC, with Melbourne City FC being mentioned in ASIC's media release:

15-120MR ASIC requires FX Primus to cease targeting Australian investors

Thursday 21 May 2015

15-120MR ASIC requires FX Primus to cease targeting Australian investors

Following concerns raised by ASIC, FX Primus, which provides margin foreign exchange (margin FX) and contracts for difference (CFDs) trading, has agreed to make changes to its websites and to notify its Australian clients that it is not licensed to provide them with financial services.

Over the past few weeks, ASIC has raised a number of issues, including the provision of unlicensed financial services to Australian investors, with various entities within the FX Primus group of companies, including FXPrimus Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 169 107 199), FX Primus Group Limited (ACN 603 898 157) and FX Primus Europe (CY) Ltd (collectively, FX Primus). As part of those discussions, FX Primus Europe (CY) Ltd has stated it had hundreds of Australian investors.

Individuals or businesses who want to offer financial services to Australian investors on their own behalf must hold an Australian financial services (AFS) licence. None of the entities in the FX Primus group of companies hold an AFS licence.

FX Primus operates through several websites, including: 

www.fxprimus.com

www.fxprimus.eu

www.fxprimusgroup.com

The website www.fxprimus.com made representations which suggested that FX Primus was authorised to deal in financial products in Australia and was compliant with ASIC regulation. This included statements such as, "[FX Primus is] operating under the jurisdiction of the Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC)" and "[FX Primus is] operating under ASIC regulations".

The website also contained various statements and material that, in ASIC's view, specifically targeted Australian investors. This included the marketing of a sponsorship arrangement with Australian-based football club, Melbourne City FC, including statements such as:

"Melbourne City FC's Official Online Forex Trading Partner"; and

"Keep a lookout in the coming months as we'll have many promotions and giveaways in store for you as part of this partnership."

and offered special trading bonuses to promote this arrangement.

ASIC Commissioner Cathie Armour said, ‘Financial service providers must ensure that they are properly licensed or authorised in Australia before they promote financial services to Australian investors. ASIC will not hesitate to take action where we have concerns Australian investors are being targeted by unlicensed or unauthorised operators.’

http://www.asic.gov.au/about-asic/media-centre/find-a-media-release/2015-releases/15-120mr-asic-requires-fx-primus-to-cease-targeting-australian-investors/

Apparently this isn't a first for Melbourne City's sponsors, with Parktrent Properties Group (which was Melbourne Heart's main NYL sponsor) also having a run-in with the ASIC last year: http://www.brokernews.com.au/news/breaking-news/asic-cracks-down-on-property-promoter-for-providing-unlicensed-financial-product-advice-193836.aspx 

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne City forced to dump forex trader sponsor

May 24 2015 at 2:38 PM

John Stensholt

A-League club Melbourne City has been forced to sever ties with Cyprus-based sponsor FXPrimus Group after the corporate regulator ordered the foreign exchange broker to cease targeting Australian investors and blocked its bid to float on the Australian Securities Exchange.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission last week told FXPrimus to remove references on its website that claimed it was was operating under ASIC regulations and material that ASIC believed was specifically targeting Australian investors, including the marketing of its sponsorship deal with Melbourne City.

ASIC said FXPrimus or any of its group of companies did not have an Australian Financial Services licence.

"ASIC will not hesitate to take action where we have concerns Australian investors are being targeted by unlicensed or unauthorised operators," ASIC commissioner Cathie Armour said. 

COMMERCIAL ARRANGEMENTS SUSPENDED

A Melbourne City spokesman said that due to ASIC's move, the club "has suspended all aspects of its commercial arrangements with FXPrimus. Both Melbourne City FC and FXPrimus are hopeful of an early resolution to the matter".

FXPrimus initially lodged a 135-page initial public offering prospectus to raise equity with ASIC on April 16, but the regulator has, as yet, refused to allow the float to go ahead. 

FXPrimus had signed a sponsorship deal with Melbourne City in January as part of a worldwide branding deal with parent club and English Premier League giant Manchester City, which owns 80 per cent of the Melbourne City.

In a press release at the time, FXPrimus said it would have marketing and promotional rights as part of a deal, including a presence across Melbourne City's digital channels. It would also provide a 30 per cent bonus for any deposits made by City fans under its Footy Mania promotion, and future promotions and giveaways would include "opportunities to win Melbourne City merchandise, tickets, ultimate fan experiences and even the ability to meet some star players".

MANCHESTER CITY DEAL REMAINS

The company's deal with Manchester City remains in place, with FXPrimus filling the role as the English club's "official online forex trading partner".

In March, ASIC chairman Greg Medcraft told a parliamentary hearing that Australia was being "picked off" by online foreign exchange brokers that obtain licences and allow clients to bet on currency moves with up to 500 times leverage.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/melbourne-city-forced-to-dump-forex-trader-sponsor-20150524-gh7eyc

What´s the big difference between having a foreign exchange brokerage as sponsor compared to an ordinary bookmaker really..?

They both involve you making bets that you might not afford really as I see it.. :mellow:

Well they both need a licence and this mob don't have one. As to the difference it depends on the products offered. It is possible to trade in derivatives that have potential for open ended losses (so unlike gambling where you know what's at stake when you place a bet, you could instead lose, say, 100 times what you traded in 1 deal). not for the inexperienced.

What´s the big difference between having a foreign exchange brokerage as sponsor compared to an ordinary bookmaker really..?

They both involve you making bets that you might not afford really as I see it.. :mellow:

Well they both need a licence and this mob don't have one. As to the difference it depends on the products offered. It is possible to trade in derivatives that have potential for open ended losses (so unlike gambling where you know what's at stake when you place a bet, you could instead lose, say, 100 times what you traded in 1 deal). not for the inexperienced.

Can confirm unlimited losses, because you're trading on margin. Stick to gambling, easier money and losses are capped, and this is coming from a guy who spends his evenings doing a Master of Finance. Honestly these CFD places are dodgier than bookmakers as well.

Can confirm unlimited losses, because you're trading on margin. Stick to gambling, easier money and losses are capped, and this is coming from a guy who spends his evenings doing a Master of Finance. Honestly these CFD places are dodgier than bookmakers as well.

The company I work for trade on FOREX markets but use a "stop-loss" instrument meaning that potential losses are always capped.. But as for bookmakers any idiot can take a bank loan and spend it on bets I´m sure.

The company I work for trade on FOREX markets but use a "stop-loss" instrument meaning that potential losses are always capped.. But as for bookmakers any idiot can take a bank loan and spend it on bets I´m sure.

If they're trading directly on the forex market than that's fine, but with the CFD providers you're not trading directly on the market, you're basically making bets with the CFD provider much like a bookie, and stop losses are not guaranteed to work if the market moves a lot very quickly.

If they're trading directly on the forex market than that's fine, but with the CFD providers you're not trading directly on the market, you're basically making bets with the CFD provider much like a bookie, and stop losses are not guaranteed to work if the market moves a lot very quickly.

If you buy $10,000 worth of shares in a company can you end up actually losing more than the $10,000 ?

If you buy $10,000 worth of shares in a company can you end up actually losing more than the $10,000 ?

Not if you buy actual shares through a broker. In fact it's very unlikely you'd lose even the $10,000, the company would basically have to go bankrupt for that to happen. Hence why you diversify and don't put all your eggs in one basket and then there is very little chance of losing much money at all, especially in the long term.

But if you buy $10,000 worth of CFDs on shares, that cover $100,000 worth of shares for example, than you can lose upto $100k. That's what we are talking about in regard to these places that are like bookies basically.

Of course it's far worse with FX, since it is more volatile and it doesn't really have a 'bottom', you can lose unlimited amounts.

Edited by Tesla

Not if you buy actual shares through a broker. In fact it's very unlikely you'd lose even the $10,000, the company would basically have to go bankrupt for that to happen. Hence why you diversify and don't put all your eggs in one basket and then there is very little chance of losing much money at all, especially in the long term.

But if you buy $10,000 worth of CFDs on shares, that cover $100,000 worth of shares for example, than you can lose upto $100k. That's what we are talking about in regard to these places that are like bookies basically.

Of course it's far worse with FX, since it is more volatile and it doesn't really have a 'bottom', you can lose unlimited amounts.

Fuck! I paid $1,000 for a course to teach me what you just summed up in 3 paragraphs! Lol

Fuck! I paid $1,000 for a course to teach me what you just summed up in 3 paragraphs! Lol

Honestly in an hour or two I could probably teach enough basics for the average person to be able to manage their investments themselves. Pre fees you probably wouldn't do as well as having someone else manage your investment (it would be close though), but when you factor in their fees you'd most likely be better off doing it yourself.

All a financial planner basically does it just split your money between term deposits and the stock market index and maybe a few other things based on your risk portfolio, they don't do anything special and certainly dont beat the market, in fact the whole thing is pretty much based on the idea that you can't beat the market.

As for funds (including super) and other investment vehicles, the research shows that the amount of abnormal return (how much they beat the market) is in general pretty small (still an achievement though), but once fees are taken into account, again the average person would be better off managing their own investments (eg you can manage your own super).

Having said that, most of our economy is services based, so to say there isn't a place for the above services would be wrong, just like you could do your own tax through etax but still hire a tax agent, could change the oil in your car yourself but take it to a mechanic, etc. It comes down to whether it's worth your time.

Edited by Tesla

Nice post above Tesla. Just as an example I have managed my own Super Fund for 20 years and consistently equal or or do better than the average of the retail funds.

On the specifics of the sponsorship I thought from the start that having an "official online Forex trading partner" was a fairly dumb sponsorship arrangement for the club in terms of its PR image in the wider community. Forex trading is little short of white-collar gambling. What next for a sponsor - an up-market brothel?

• Like 1

Nice post above Tesla. Just as an example I have managed my own Super Fund for 20 years and consistently equal or or do better than the average of the retail funds.

On the specifics of the sponsorship I thought from the start that having an "official online Forex trading partner" was a fairly dumb sponsorship arrangement for the club in terms of its PR image in the wider community. Forex trading is little short of white-collar gambling. What next for a sponsor - an up-market brothel?

Well...

Their goalkeeping is competent, their teamwork solid but it is not their skills that make Voukefalas FC stand out on the pitch, it is their shirts - bright pink and emblazoned with the words "Villa Erotica".

In tough times, who else to turn to but the local brothel? For this amateur club in the central Greek city of Larissa, it was the last option available to save them from bankruptcy.

The team's coach, Yiannis Batziolas says there is nothing to be ashamed of, and that the game is full of far shadier sponsors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The benefits of Universities partnering with Professional Sport Clubs

Russell Hoye, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research Development) at La Trobe University

Apr 10, 2016

La Trobe University has been partnering with Melbourne City Football Club since their journey began as the fledgling A-League franchise Melbourne Heart FC prior to the 2010-11 season. The club's training and administration base has been at our Bundoora campus since 2010 and is now home to the state-of-the-art City Football Academy built by City Football Group, the new owners since early 2014.

Aside from the obvious commercial benefits for a university partnering with a high-profile professional sport organisation, it is the impact on our students that is most compelling.

Over the last five years, the CEO of Melbourne City FC, Scott Munn, and his Executive team, have provided internships and work placement opportunities for more than a 100 La Trobe students studying degrees in sport management, sport journalism, exercise science and physiotherapy. These opportunities are facilitated by La Trobe academic staff such as Pam Kappelides from the sport management program.

Many of these students have gone on to secure employment with the club; some notable current examples being Callum Muirhead (Football Operations Manager), Chloe Wakeling (PA to CEO), Nikki Drost (Partnerships Account Coordinator), Louisa Bisby (W-League Team Manager), Melissa Missailidis(Game Development Coordinator) and Alexander Pavlidis (Social Media Coordinator). 

Other students have used their experience with Melbourne City FC and the contacts they have developed to secure employment with other sport organisations while others have continued in volunteer roles with the club, enhancing their skills and knowledge as they complete their university degrees.

The partnership between La Trobe University and Melbourne City FC also involves research projects, the provision of sports science testing services, engagement of club staff in course delivery, and joint branding and promotional activities. In many ways this partnership is an exemplar for how universities should develop integrated and comprehensive partnerships with leading industry organisations.

The benefits for the students and graduates pictured above, enjoying themselves at the recent Melbourne City FC Player of the Year Awards function, are enduring and a crucial step in making the transition from student to graduate and ultimately to meaningful employment.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/benefits-universities-partnering-professional-sport-clubs-hoye

• 3 months later...

Melbourne City thinks Don is good

August 15, 2016

mongst Melbourne City’s unveiling of this season’s Nike home kits and the first training session of marquee signing Tim Cahill, the club also announced a new three-year partnership with Don Smallgoods.

As part of the deal, Don’s branding will feature on the sleeve of both the A-League and W-League team’s home jerseys while the smallgoods producer has upgraded their status as one of City’s major partners.

Don’s joins Etihad Airways, Nissan, Hostels as sponsor of the club’s home kits.

Paul Mealor, Managing Director of Don Smallgoods, said. “Don is proud of its Melbourne heritage and past association with sport in Victoria.

“As football continues to maintain its position as the most popular sport in the country, with growing participation rates across both males and females, it’s timely to be formalising a union that’s been in the making for some time.”

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/melbourne-city-thinks-don-good/

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2