Melbourne Football

The Sauce Bottles - Central Coast Mariners

KSK_47

Rather than fill the wsw thread full of posts like "suck shit cunts" and so forth, I figure I would try and bring a tiny bit of class to this place and start a thread for the now champions.

Well done to them. Played an extremely disciplined game and well deserved their crown. Ref was a bit dodgy but that's football.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Rather than fill the wsw thread full of posts like "suck shit cunts" and so forth, I figure I would try and bring a tiny bit of class to this place and start a thread for the now champions.

Well done to them. Played an extremely disciplined game and well deserved their crown. Ref was a bit dodgy but that's football.

They have deserved it for a few years now, so good to see them finally get one.

WSW missed Hersi but CCM better disciplined and better game plan on the day. Rather than trying to bulldoze through the WSW defence they experimented with lobbing the ball over the heads of NTS and BeauChump and forcing them to turn and run towards their own goal. It worked and Sterj should have scored in 1st half. McBreen put in a great shift for CCM. Liked what the young Appiah did for WSW but seemd to over elaborate things when a simple pass was sufficient.

Edited by HEARTinator

During the time I've been following the A-League these guys have been pretty much on top the whole time. They've finally had their little win and if they can now kindly fuck off to the bottom half of the table and give someone else a go that would be great.

• Like 2

Their play style is great and have decent talent, but I must not be the only one that their kit design and color combination is just awful for a top team and unappealing to watch. Irks me that a top team like this has the worst active supporters where clubs such as Heart have passionate supporters in the active bay who make an effort to make an atmosphere for the team no matter how shit they are and these cunts sit there like it's a golf tournament throughout the season.

• Like 1

Their play style is great and have decent talent, but I must not be the only one that their kit design and color combination is just awful for a top team and unappealing to watch. Irks me that a top team like this has the worst active supporters where clubs such as Heart have passionate supporters in the active bay who make an effort to make an atmosphere for the team no matter how shit they are and these cunts sit there like it's a golf tournament throughout the season.

1- I dont think this seasons kit is anywhere near as bad as it has been in the past. My favourite CCM kit was their Hummel one and probably the only one I would say that I have actually liked. Although a lot of people hate it, I really like their logo too. Reminds me a lot of the old MLS ones (like the Cosmos one from back in the day). 

Anyway. I would take a successful team wearing an ugly kit over last place and a nice kit any day of the week.

2- As for their active support, yeah its pretty crap but it is what it is. They are from a town with a small population consisting of mainly surfers and rugby league meat heads, so the fact that they have a small but very loyal following is pretty good. They are very representative of their community and at least they are not pretending to be anything they aren't.  

• Like 3

fair enough, I know they have a loyal following in such a small town, but it just annoys me trying to watch a home game of theirs and having to compare their atmosphere to others, where it isn't that great at all, and it's just me that becomes uninterested watching a game at blue tongue stadium

Edited by Young Polak

Basically they spent a shit load of money to do up blue tongue stadium in the hopes that the defunct north Sydney bears would move to Gosford and enter the nrl. The nrl decided that they didn't want that so they were given an a league team.

Was it a good decision? Well, despite the fact they are highly successful on the field they still struggle to pay player's wages, so...

So the A-League was always insistent on designating one team to a 'regional' area, it was thought a forgone conclusion that this spot would go to Wollongong (who had a very good NSL record, both in terms of crowds and pulling power) but the disconnect between old and new soccer was too much for them, so they didn't end up bidding. When an Alex Tobin led consortium ended up being the only bidder from a regional area, they were always going to get it.

Interesting. In one thread ppl want the HAL to expand into regional areas, in another they don't like the lack of 'active support.'

Better get used to the fact that if football is going to expand into smaller population bases then there won't be 'active support' of the type you would like.

On a more positive note - this is worth a read. A little window into Arnold and his coaching. Have to hand it to him the way he goes about his business. I reckon with our squad Arnie would have delivered much better than 9th place. He wouldn't have brooked the crap that some of our players delivered up to JA and Heart fans. http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/arnold-hails-bennett-s-input/65778.

Edited by jw1739

Interesting. In one thread ppl want the HAL to expand into regional areas, in another they don't like the lack of 'active support.'

Better get used to the fact that if football is going to expand into smaller population bases then there won't be 'active support' of the type you would like.

On a more positive note - this is worth a read. A little window into Arnold and his coaching. Have to hand it to him the way he goes about his business. I reckon with our squad Arnie would have delivered much better than 9th place. He wouldn't have brooked the crap that some of our players delivered up to JA and Heart fans. http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/arnold-hails-bennett-s-input/65778.

Arnie had some bad times as a coach though, especially during his tenure as the head honcho of Australia. He had a lot to say about the quality of the players at his disposal and the lack of drive and determination from them. Experience tends to do wonders for a coach.

Not disagreeing with your overall sentiment at all, however.

Would be nice to see CCM financially viable as they've unearthed and produced some great talent since their inception. They put a lot into their youth development and are a perfect model for others to follow.

They have NYL Team of sorts already playing in the NSWPL from this Season as well which might help create more devouted fans stayed connected to the team in the off season.

Edited by cadete

• 3 months later...

Even though he's on loan, I thought McBreen deserved his goal to be posted. A one off maybe but the 442 boys will be drooling with the McBreenivic references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tsgcKDbEoA

Another reference to the short A-League season/long off season break. It's time to move to a twice home and away season with cup/finals, to give our players the competition they need.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1162193/McBreen-ecstatic-with-his-goal-of-a-lifetime

Another reference to the short A-League season/long off season break. It's time to move to a twice home and away season with cup/finals, to give our players the competition they need.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1162193/McBreen-ecstatic-with-his-goal-of-a-lifetime

Couldn't agree more Peter.

Sooner or later we have to take the plunge and do what you say. If we have to run in parallel with other football codes and other sports, so be it. Otherwise the A-League will only ever be a feeder league, and a half-baked one at that. FFA should be putting its efforts into this rather than wasting resources on exhibition matches etc. That's why we need someone with vision running the code in this country, not rejects from the AFL and NRL.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to the game on Friday. Great stadium, horrible terrace.

First time in Gosford and was surprised by how small the place is. Plenty of work to be done by the club to bring in people in such a low catchment area. Good foundations laid with cente of excellence, community focus and youth progression etc but I still fear for them long term. Particularly if the academy doesn't spit out sellable assets.

• 9 months later...

Central Coast are in the news saying they need to play at least some home games at North Sydney Oval to draw bigger crowds.  They also commented that they have one of the lowest TV viewing rates of any A league club.

CCM link their low TV viewer profile with their crowds.  Perhaps the people saying this haven't been watching their team play?  In the 10 year history of the A League CCM have been consistently the most dour, desperate and boring side to watch.  First under McKinna and now under Moss, CCM were/are simply appalling to watch.  Under Arnold they weren't that great at entertainment either.  

I am also really surprised that CCM see North Sydney Oval as their saviour.  Doesn't seem that long ago that NSWRL side North Sydney Bears, struggling for crowd numbers, wanted to relocate to Gosford because they were struggling for crowds!  Things went so well for North Sydney that they are now defunct, though that might reflect the quality of their decision making as much as anything?  The question is, have demographics changed so much in Sydney in that time (15 years?) that now North Sydney is full of people who want to watch live sport, but can't currently be arsed going to see Scum FC play a mere 8ks away?

Sydney's a large city, thought they could take a chunk of the market, but a move to North Sydney is surprising.

• Like 1

Hopefully they get everything sorted off the park. The A-League can't to have clubs dying off on an annual basis like the dark days of the NSL. They may not produce flashy football, but they have been responsible for unearthing a number of Socceroo's who are integral to the future improvement of the National Team.

Lowy needs to step in and really fight for A-League clubs at State & Council level and help these clubs get the same sort of cosy stadium deals that the other codes seem to get. You would think due to the lack of any other sporting teams using Bluetongue Stadium that the Mariners would have a good bargaining chip, but that's not the case.