Melbourne Football

Iain Ramsay

Tesla

Great signing, welcome to the Heart Iain. Hope you have a good time and help us to lots of wins.

What refreshing post this is compared to the crap on this forum recently.

?? Did you read any of the other posts in the thread? Majority are positive.

Great signing. Competition for places is key to any successful team... With Ramsay in the squad there will be a few heart players that will need to lift if they want to be in starting 11...

Great move by the club to axe those 4 players, I look forward with interest to see who we sign next...

I think if JA plays Ramsay at left back it will just not work. The worst thing a coach can do is move a player for the sake of filling a position when that player is not used to playing in that position. Ramsay is one of those players who needs the freedom to be unpredictable, that's why I think he's better suited to a midfield role. He's like a firecracker who doesn't even know himself when he'll spontaneously combust...that's why I like about him. If he's locked away in the back left I think he might struggle to find his flare.

In some cases moving a player into a new position works, a la Gerhardt but in other cases it's a complete failure, almost like a fish out of water - a la Lavicka playing Emerton on the left, Hoffman played at...anywhere, etc.

How does it make sense to make this guy a LB after watching this vid? You have to have some sort of defensive ability otherwise will just cop even more goals than this season ffs. This guy is better than Williams, and thus obviously slots into that left side role.

• Like 2

JA just confirmed on the radio that they'd be trying to convert Ramsay into a left back. We'll certainly be fast down the left, and if it works could be great!

No he didn't? All he said is he'll help replace some of the pace we lost down the left when Aziz left.

We're already wasting Jezza as a wing-back, so why we would want to do the same with Ramsay is beyond me.

We must see ourselves as some sort of wing-back 'factory.'

Excited by the signature one day, hopes dashed the next. Same old Heart.

Did you listen to the interview this morning on 927? He said straight out he'll be trying to convert Ramsay to a left fullback.

doesn't surprise me after listening to his interview last night on SEN he sort of hinted that.

Hopefully with a good pre-season Ramsay will learn how to play that role better.

A number of times Aziz was in a great position to have a shot at goal if he had the ability or confidence.

I haven't seen much of Ramsay's defensive work, but this might turn out to be a cracker of a signing if he overlaps anything like Behich.

• Like 2

Heart became really weak on the left side when Behich left. Unlike our right side, where Walker would push up field and really help our attack, our left side floundered as Coyne and Mitchinson proved ineffective at helping our attacks.

The great thing about Iain Ramsay (nicknamed 'Rambo') is that he knows how to go forward. Aloisi also said he worked with Ramsay at Sydney FC, so he knows what kind of player he is.

I really like the idea of an attacking, all guns blazing, Melbourne Heart. So I'd be happy to have Ramsay and Walker as our fullbacks. Both will need to work on their defence a bit, but so did Behich when he started in that position, and he turned out to be an excellent fullback.

I look forward to seeing this new attacking left side, with Ramsay getting forward and combining with Williams/Garuccio.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Using wing-backs as full backs is all good and well but you need a smart defensive midfielder who can cover and slide into the gaps, something we've never had. I'd much rather we play 3-5-2/5-3-2 and utilize Walker and Ramsay on the flanks and give Paddy a license to push forward from defence.

• Like 3

As BG has repeatedly said, our style of play will break down without the right midfielders in the engine room. Wing-backs are fine, but if no-one slips in behind to cover them, when the attack breaks down we are extremely vulnerable to the quick counter-attack down the wing, the cross in to the back post and we're a goal down. It's been that way since Day 1 - doesn't matter whether it was Marrone and Aziz or Walker and Mitchinson.

The signings we need to make are those for CBs and midfielders. And they need to be good.

What somebody said on another forum Im on about Ramsay

Ramsay has good technique and pace but if he wants to make the step up to becoming a really consistent player, he needs to improve:

1) positional sense. When Flores was at United, instead of realising that Flores could knock the ball down the line for him to run onto, he'd stand a metre away. This year he spends most of a game hugging the touchline and doesn't drop in to help out defensively.

2) awareness – e.g. he runs to the byline and puts in a cross, then looks up to see there was no one there. Needs to hold onto the ball for a striker's run or attack the last defender.

3) has pace and tricks but rarely runs at defenders like Leckie did and rarely cuts inside. Just because the teamsheet says "winger" he can't just be a pure winger. Well he can, but he'll have to deal with being a spectator for 85 mins in some games.

Not trying to bag the guy as I think he has a lot of potential – hopefully he gets the right coaching under JA to help him improve these areas.

And when I mentioned about JA's ambitions for him....

LOL... he has almost no defensive instincts.

Edited by hedaik1

fkn great signing, welcome to the club, will bring the pace and fancy feet we need, and can score a goal (scored against us so often)

Positive start to off season, bolton, colosimo, thompson, fred,  gone leaving $$

Sign richie and get rid of DMAC, and we already looking better, fresher, and with a vision and purpose

Did you listen to the interview this morning on 927? He said straight out he'll be trying to convert Ramsay to a left fullback.

Ahhhh. Makes sense. My mistake.

Also, don't knock Ramsay as a LB until you've seen him play there guys.

This is what worries me Jimmy. I'm beginning to sound like a really critical bastard, but if it doesnt work, we're left with a dud taking up a position on a list flush with attacking minded wingers.. Again there is the potential of trying to put a square peg in a round hole and playing a player out of his natural instinctive position. We've seen this fail many times. Thompson as a natural box to box midfielder exclusively played as a defensive mid, Hoffman played anywhere but upfront, Fred on a wing, Good dropped in centrally before he was ready.

If you have a need, go and get the player with that skill set. My solution would be to implement our youth policy. Go and find the best three young left backs in the VPL , or any state league for that matter, put them in the youth team and develop them aggressively. With good skilled coaching and development, one of them will come good, much like Walker. Then you are putting a round peg in a round hole. To change the mindset of a 25 year old player may work, and Gerhardt will attest to that (although he was already playing CB for Liberia), but to recruit this guy for a specific position with no history of playing in that position is a risk. With small squads that is not ideal.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Pretty confident Ramsay will do well at LB, has all the attributes to get forward, although his defensive game will need some work. He is very much the same type of player as Aziz was, if he applies himself I think he'll be a perfect addition to the XI.

you're right in saying he's got the same attributes as aziz, definitely a very similar type of player, so hopefully he will have a similar effect with us. Think i remember him playing LB a couple of times for Adelaide last season, but he didn't really put his mark on the match like behich did with us. Hopefully though with the way we play, and assistance of the coaching staff and other players he'll turn out to be a very smart signing and will mould into that left back position nicely.