Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart - Stadium/Facilities

InMyHeart

I must say as a Geelong member and a collingwood hater I'd have no issues if we moved into westpac centre. One big benefit I see is really might help in recruiting high level players to the club. Must be much more enticing having facilities much closer to the CBD

Why?

Many overseas clubs have their training facilities nowhere near the ground they use for actual matches, and nowhere near the so-called 'CBD.'

Just as an example, Arsenal's training ground is at Shenley, Hertfordshire.

Has the idea of sharing resources with another large established Melbourne Club been floated. Teams that come to mind would be Melbourne Storm, Collingwood, Hawthorn, or Richmond. Not only the occassional training session, but also the physios and recovery methods (e.g. Polenz tweeted he worked in rehab with the Canterbury Bulldogs). The other positive is that Eddie McGuire has recently come out and said that Collingwood is willing to work with other sporting clubs in Melbourne on these kinds of areas, particularly IP sharing.

The further leap from all of this would be to be "paired" or even sponsored by an AFL club. Which I HIGHLY DOUBT MOST SEASON TICKET HOLDERS WOULD WANT TO SEE.

So we become pretty much indistinguishable from Melbourne victory based at Aami park? i thought being based at Latrobe was a point of difference 

• Like 1

2. Why would we a Foreign Sister Club arrangement?   

Well, what about the idea of player development pathways in return for more established, out of favour players. Many Serie A clubs have "lower tier feeders" e.g Palermo and Padova. Also, again, the idea of learning from that established club, coach secondment in off-seasons, pre-season friendlies, growth of international supporter base.

Well, what about the idea of player development pathways in return for more established, out of favour players. Many Serie A clubs have "lower tier feeders" e.g Palermo and Padova. Also, again, the idea of learning from that established club, coach secondment in off-seasons, pre-season friendlies, growth of international supporter base. Who would want such a relationship with us?

Has the idea of sharing resources with another large established Melbourne Club been floated. Teams that come to mind would be Melbourne Storm, Collingwood, Hawthorn, or Richmond. Not only the occassional training session, but also the physios and recovery methods (e.g. Polenz tweeted he worked in rehab with the Canterbury Bulldogs). The other positive is that Eddie McGuire has recently come out and said that Collingwood is willing to work with other sporting clubs in Melbourne on these kinds of areas, particularly IP sharing.

The further leap from all of this would be to be "paired" or even sponsored by an AFL club. Which I HIGHLY DOUBT MOST SEASON TICKET HOLDERS WOULD WANT TO SEE.

So we become pretty much indistinguishable from Melbourne victory based at Aami park? i thought being based at Latrobe was a point of difference 

No. I'm not suggesting moving from LaTrobe. Arrangements so that we can use better resources without having to pay for them, and so that we can learn from those clubs and bring back and implement them at ours. The Polenz example is one such instance.

Well, what about the idea of player development pathways in return for more established, out of favour players. Many Serie A clubs have "lower tier feeders" e.g Palermo and Padova. Also, again, the idea of learning from that established club, coach secondment in off-seasons, pre-season friendlies, growth of international supporter base. Who would want such a relationship with us?

I don't have specifics, but when you consider we have sold players to Newcastle, Busaspor, Suwon, Shanghai, then worked on getting players and coaches from Dutch clubs, surely they would be a start.

I think you also need to consider that MV and Sydney have done all the other clubs a huge favour, e.g. Hugo Sanchez applying for the Wellington job, all the names linked with Sydney before Farina.

I agree with this idea. For example, you can establish a relationship with, just say, a Bundesliga II club whereby a young striker who is not getting much game time could play for a few months or a season with Heart as part of his development. Likewise our players could look to this club for a pathway to Europe in their own careers, instead of going somewhere and then being shafted by a change in coach (e.g. Eli Babalj).

We could also play a competitive match at AAMI with such a club during their mid-season break (and our school summer holidays), for an annual trophy. Much better than one of these pissy exhibition matches with the likes of Liverpool etc. which only serve for all the Eurosnobs to come out from under their stones.

There are all sorts of ways of developing a sister club relationship to mutual advantage. Just pitch it at the right level and it would work fine.

• Like 1

Given the fact there are limited Visa spots, I don't see how you would be watching a European reserves.

Not so much an untried youngster, but imagine a scenario when you could have sent over Good and got Sibon.

Why would I want the strings at my club controlled by another?

I do not need to imagine how a Sister Club situation with a European Club  would work in Australian Soccer - I saw it end in flames with the Northern Spirit.

I also have seen up close how the Host Club arrangements between AFL and Old VFA clubs have basicly ruined the VFL as well.

Edited by cadete

Given the fact there are limited Visa spots, I don't see how you would be watching a European reserves.

Not so much an untried youngster, but imagine a scenario when you could have sent over Good and got Sibon.

I also have seen up close how the Host Club arrangements between AFL and Old VFA clubs have basicly ruined the VFL as well. This is a very valid and great point. It all ends up in flames and there is no winner from it. The club will eventually end up having a shit relationship and then separate. There really is not point of creating a sister club

I want to follow MHFC not the Reserves of some European side...

Let alone the fact that I really us keeping a visa spot open on the possibility that a club might want to send an untried youngster our way, thanks.

These comments completely misinterpret what I actually said. One player on loan does not  constitute 'the reserves of some European side' nor did I say anything about 'keeping a visa spot open...' for a sister club.

You don't like the idea of a sister club - fine. I respect your view. But discuss the idea on its merits, not on distortions.

It can be beneficial, it's all in the fine print. Maybe an anual friendly, coaching support/clinics, injury loans whatever, it just needs to be negotiated as is beneficial.

Look at Hannover96 in the Bundesliga, they have a strong affiliation with Manchester U, which allowed them to get Diouf, it is a lot more beneficial to Hannover96 than the other way around.

Being the second team in Melbourne, being the smaller team in Melbourne, playing out of the same stadium as the other team in Melbourne - the biggest European clubs and closest to this scenario that I can think of is Inter Milan and AC Milan.

So since they can relate, since they've been through it all, since they've managed to be successful, it might be advantageous for Heart to adopt Inter Milan as our sister club in Italy - we have so much to learn off them and they...well they'll have an excuse to visit the "lucky country"!  :)

Just because we are allied with another club doesn't mean we are a B team or anything like that.

It has a heap of merit. If you get the agreement right.

I want a Melbourne Heart that only cares about Melbourne Heart.

Agree with Cadete. Nothing in our history would have been different or benefited us better if we had a European Sister Club. No European player in there right mind would go to Australia and loan, and we're good enough at selling players already as it seems. No club would also be willing to come to Australia every single year either. So what is the merit then?

Scott Munn has better shit to do tbh.

Edited by Che

Just because we are allied with another club doesn't mean we are a B team or anything like that.

How does an afiliation detract from that?

Agree with Cadete. Nothing in our history would have been different or benefited us better if we had a European Sister Club. No European player in there right mind would go to Australia and loan, and we're good enough at selling players already as it seems. No club would also be willing to come to Australia every single year either. So what is the merit then?

Scott Munn has better shit to do tbh.

Can't see that you have any evidence to support your statements at all. And players under contract go where their employer says they will go. I can see no difference between having a player on loan from an overseas club for a season and signing an overseas player (e.g. Josip Tadic) for a season. The outcome is precisely the same.

How does an afiliation detract from that?

Because it adds another Club into the decision making process...

How does an afiliation detract from that? Because it adds another Club into the decision making process...

That is why I gave the example of Hannover96, a club I have followed a long time, Manchester U has no say in the club opperations/philosophy, why assume on the premiss of the afl? A competition followed by three states, four if you count Tasmania.

• 1 month later...

So Freo gets a cool $10m Federal government grant for new training facilities, but they can't grant any money to a UNIVERSITY to upgrade their sporting facilities of which many young Australians will benefit from, FFS!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-13/govt-chips-in-for-new-freo-training-base

No wonder Heart's using various training bases this pre-season. We cannot just stay at LaTrobe and keep waiting and hoping for this government grant, so I don't blame them...

Hahaha. Was wondering what all the dockers spastics were whingeing about when they were talking about Cockburn dockers. Give me wafl over afl any day. Is something about supporting the eagles or dockers that turns people into brain dead retards. Cockburn needs something there is a fucking wasteland ATM . Pretty rare Perth gets anything federally funded.

So Freo gets a cool $10m Federal government grant for new training facilities, but they can't grant any money to a UNIVERSITY to upgrade their sporting facilities of which many young Australians will benefit from, FFS!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-13/govt-chips-in-for-new-freo-training-base

No wonder Heart's using various training bases this pre-season. We cannot just stay at LaTrobe and keep waiting and hoping for this government grant, so I don't blame them...

Sorry mate but it would probably help if you find out a bit about the Cockburn area before you placed it as a lower priority than a University.

Why should a University in a Middle Class area consisting of largely Middle Class Students recieve such facilities over Cockburn which has been a Working Class suburb since its beginings?

Perth Heart is correct in saying this is the biggest thing that has ever happened to the whole region of Cockburn.

Redmayne says in the video below (around the 2 min mark) that Heart have "fantastic training facilities lined up" for this pre-season. I'll venture to guess that he's not talking about La Trobe Bundoora...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mjCz4SfhUXE

When we tabled a bid for Beckham there was talk that we would have access to better facilities if we were successful. Perhaps we're thinking along the same lines with respect to our possible "marquee player"?

Redmayne says in the video below (around the 2 min mark) that Heart have "fantastic training facilities lined up" for this pre-season. I'll venture to guess that he's not talking about La Trobe Bundoora...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mjCz4SfhUXE

When we tabled a bid for Beckham there was talk that we would have access to better facilities if we were successful. Perhaps we're thinking along the same lines with respect to our possible "marquee player"?

I believe that Heart were going to train at AAMI Park if we managed to sign Beckham, and that there would be open training session so people could see Heart & Beckham train. AAMI probably would have given Heart very good rates if we signed Beckham and wanted to train at AAMI, as it would have been good publicity for their stadium.

Regarding state funding of sport facilities, Munn said after the final WSW game that AFL gets a lot of funding in Northern Melbourne, whilst football/soccer in Northern Melbourne gets very little (which includes AAMI). 

Heart seem to be doing all they can to lobby for improved facilities at La Trobe. It seems that 2 weeks doesn't pass without Heart networking with politicians in some manner. For instance, witness the Heart players & media vs politicians game that took place at AAMI park a few days ago. Yet for whatever reason, the aging, not-quite-professional facilities at La Trobe (which I used to use BTW) can't seem to get a few million to help fund a respectable upgrade.

Redmayne said that Heart have "fantastic" training facilities lined up for this pre-season. So it seems like we have a fine short term solution arranged for the time being, which I guess is better than zero improvements vis-a-vis Heart's training sessions. I guess that'll have to do for now.

Edited by Murfy1